Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TequilaJesus posted:

Player X comes up to bat. There are already 2 outs, and Player Y is on first. Before a single pitch is thrown, the pitcher throws to first and gets Player Y out because he was leading off too far. The inning ends.

Does this count against Player X's batting average?

It doesn't count either as an at bat (so no batting average loss) or a plate appearance (no OBP% loss) I believe. It's like he never came up as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Capt. Sticl posted:

How much would this change the attributes you look for in particular positions? First Base is fine since they tend to be good hitters anyway, but how many 2nd baseman can bat second in the lineup?
Edit: I'm guessing that since the difference between optimal lineup and terrible is fairly small over the season it wouldn't change much, but I hope it would.

I don't think it would functionally change much since the ability to field a position is still the most important thing that goes into a player playing positions like catcher/middle infield/CF. A lot of third basemen were drafted as short stops and just don't have the ability to play SS at a major league level.

Anyway the 2nd baseman would be batting cleanup, not second. And yeah there are almost no traditional fourth in the order type hitters who play second, Cano's the only active one I can come up with off the top of my head right now although I'm probably forgetting someone. Oh Daniel Murphy I guess might fit, and Altuve obviously wouldn't embarrass you but isn't your typical power hitter in the fourth hole.

I can't think of a single catcher who hits like most managers want a second in the lineup guy to hit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, of course there would be a team doing exactly that with catcher/2b right now and I didn't know about it. I assume they aren't batting the pitcher first at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Peanut President posted:

Also is it remotely possible to have a more racist nickname matchup in a championship in the modern day? Maybe if the NFL adds another team with a slur?

Chiefs/Redskins seems worse because Chiefs are probably on the same level as Braves and Redskins is obviously worse than Indians?

Well, for a certain level of imagination. It might not pass the remotely possible clause.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd imagine OBP compared to average would tell you something predictable? It seems like having a good eye doesn't really go away unless your eyesight just fails. I figure present day Barry and Ted Williams frozen head could still draw walks.

Well there's a decent chance present day Barry would be better than a league average hitter anyway, but whatever.

e: I have done absolutely no research here, so there's a chance I'm incredibly wrong.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 10, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I know what being Designated for Assignment is but how does it differ from being "Outrighted"?

As I understand it DFA actually puts a player in limbo for a bit, the roster spot is immediately freed up but the team has 10 days to either find a trade partner for him, put him on waivers, or assign him to the minors, or cut him if he clears waivers and they don't want him anymore. Hence the 'designated' part of that, we're going to do something with this guy but we're not telling you what yet. When you outright a player you just flat put him on non-revocable waiver. Or I guess when players with options are sent to the minors they're technically outrighted? Not sure on that last bit.

Someone can probably explain it better than I am here.

e: I guess all MLB players have to go through waivers don't they? So no one can get straight up cut if that's correct.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 1, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

98-01 Pedro > Kershaw > other Pedro > all other pitchers

Maddux deserves to be somewhere in here before all other pitchers.

Probably also Doc Gooden's 1985, there's a reason it was such a shame that he ruined himself.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
More importantly we're unlikely to get sweeping changes to error rules 120, or 140 or whatever years in. The best way to pursue that would be new stats of some sort and actually looking at those I would think, but it would take years for them to become mainstream.

poo poo OPS is really recent as something people pay attention to considering baseball's timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shiroc posted:

In a hypothetical where your pitchers could give league average hitting, would you still want a DH?

This is a hell of a hypothetical here.

Late career Jim Thome is probably one of the better arguments (other than Edgar) for having the DH. He was still a useful player and fun to watch, and not having to have his knees deal with stretching and stuff at first base might have kept him around a few extra years.

• Locked thread