Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Grem posted:

K here's a more complicated one. Batter gets intentionally walked, runner on first advances to second, rounds second, and takes off for third, trying to catch defense by surprise. Throw to third and he's tagged out, all before the batter reaches first. Does the batter start off the next inning?

I'd assume not but since he didn't reach first maybe the play didn't resolve?

MLB Official Rules posted:

Rule 5.05(b)(1) Comment (Rule 6.08(a) Comment):

A batter must go to first base and touch the base before
other base runners are forced to advance.

Since the runners are not technically allowed to advance until after the batter reaches first, in this scenario I expect it would be treated as though the batter completed his walk.

I actually expected the new manager called intentional walk would be a dead ball play since he needs the attention of the umpire, but it doesn't appear to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
The N/V thread, plus some beers, has generated a question and a hypothetical.

Q:

Inspector_666 posted:

Also can we change it so that inherited runners count as .5 towards the ERA for both the pitcher who let the man on base and the pitcher who let him score?
"

Instead of going 50-50. could it you build a stat where inherited runners are worth .75/.50/.25 based on their location? Or maybe just a stat that instead of ERA you have like Total Bases allowed per Inning. Not quite WHIP, because it would include something akin to slugging?

H:

Paper Tiger posted:

Batting order should be determined by fielding position. Pitcher bats first, right fielder bats ninth. :colbert:

How much would this change the attributes you look for in particular positions? First Base is fine since they tend to be good hitters anyway, but how many 2nd baseman can bat second in the lineup?
Edit: I'm guessing that since the difference between optimal lineup and terrible is fairly small over the season it wouldn't change much, but I hope it would.

• Locked thread