Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I am so bad at this game. like even on the easiest difficulty i get ROLLED and never really get off the ground. How do I git gud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

My solution to not savescum as much is that I'll only reload a file if I lose a guy I don't have redundancy for lategame or one of 4-5 guys I mark early game or if I lose multiple guys in a fight. I still reload a lot because I'm bad and also never take steel brow but maybe half as much? And it's kinda neat to have to choose which battles to put a new guy in later on in a run.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I picked up a game on Steam called Urtuk that's mechanically kind of similar to Battle Bros, in that you control a small group of fighters through a series of turn-based tactical hex combat. But man, playing it makes me really appreciate a lot of little things about Battle Bros that Urtuk imo gets wrong. Like even just a simple thing like mobility on the battlefield, in Battle Bros your guys are slow but they're still relatively mobile, they can move past each other, most maps aren't completely covered in obstacles, in Urtuk on the other hand your guys get stuck behind each other all the time and the battlefields are covered in obstacles and choke points that make it really annoying when you're stuck behind another guy, that kind of thing. There are a ton of little things that BB just gets absolutely right from a design standpoint.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

cytoc posted:

I have this game on my steam wishlist and the vanilla version has gone on a decent sale, but the expansions are still full price. I'm thinking of going in on it, but was wondering about the general opinion on whether or not the expansions really extend the base game to a point that they really should be considered for a first play through?

If so, are both really important, or is there that is better for the base experience? From a quick look at features, it seems that Beasts & Exploration may improve the overall game experience, while Warriors of the North seemingly provides more options for a specific location / play through?

Warriors of the North adds more content than Beasts does, but both improve the game significantly. This isn't like expansions in some games that add extra content to the end of a game, it's more like say civilization games where the expansions increase the complexity and content of the game as a whole.

Beasts adds a bunch of new enemy types (fundamentally altering game balance in doing so) and a number of special locations on the map, plus new equipment. It also increases the size of the game maps.

Warriors adds a new major enemy faction in Barbarians, adds a bunch of cool new equipment, new locations and also I think increases game map size.

I couldn't imagine just playing the base game any more.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

- Does anyone have a good map seed for Northern Barbarians? Preferably one with a faction spread where the northern faction you can get back to peace with dominates the north. Sucks to not really be able to campaign in the bit of the map that gives you your thematic recruits/events/enemies.
- Bonus if anyone can provide the golden goose/ijirok quest locations for that seed. I've never got to do the Ijirok because I've simply never come across the location in any of my playthroughs.
- Open to other start ideas. I've done Lone Wolf already and it's good. Monster Hunters seems to punish gear too much. Poachers could be fun?

Trip report, not Northern Raiders but A New Company. I lucked into the most amazing seed for a northern start: ZSQIZIJXWX (needs DLC)

Axe bro: Dexterous, Tough
Polearm bro: Iron Lungs, Bloodthirsty
Ranged bro: Iron Jaw, Bright

Endless trade possibilities in the north with major cities regularly experiencing ambushed trade routes, lots of resources, workshops, furnaces and a smelter in the citadel to the north. Decent faction spread, ports in north and south. Civilian contracts fairly available starting out. Only thing missing is a circular trade route connected by roads

tentacles fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 26, 2020

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Edit is not quote!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

vyelkin posted:

I picked up a game on Steam called Urtuk that's mechanically kind of similar to Battle Bros, in that you control a small group of fighters through a series of turn-based tactical hex combat. But man, playing it makes me really appreciate a lot of little things about Battle Bros that Urtuk imo gets wrong. Like even just a simple thing like mobility on the battlefield, in Battle Bros your guys are slow but they're still relatively mobile, they can move past each other, most maps aren't completely covered in obstacles, in Urtuk on the other hand your guys get stuck behind each other all the time and the battlefields are covered in obstacles and choke points that make it really annoying when you're stuck behind another guy, that kind of thing. There are a ton of little things that BB just gets absolutely right from a design standpoint.
I would probably like Urtuk more than Battle Brothers if the maps were more open and you just got Light Foot by default on everyone. e: As it is I'm extracting Light Foot whenever I can which sucks because the economy is tightly balanced enough for that to prevent me from getting other stuff to play around with.
The skills actually encourage movement and terrain usage, as do at least some of the missions. It's pretty much the opposite of Battle Brothers, which has open maps but against most enemies you want to move early on to get on a hill/close enough for your archers to shoot that Necromancer and then stand completely still and stay in formation until the battle is over.
In Urtuk I want to move but the maps are so claustrophobic that I just can't. Battle Brothers fights can get a bit boring and samey but Urtuk is often outright frustrating not because of the difficulty but because you're constantly getting in your own way.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 26, 2020

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Nuclear War posted:

I am so bad at this game. like even on the easiest difficulty i get ROLLED and never really get off the ground. How do I git gud?
I have no idea what you're actually doing but:
Don't get too many bros early on. Buy armor instead.
Use weapons that give extra accuracy - swords, spears and flails.
Don't take caravan contracts.
Always keep fighting if you can, even if it just means hunting three lovely Direwolves. At the same time, run away if you feel a fight would result in losses without giving you some amazing loot to compensate. The game is all about snowballing.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Don't take caravan contracts.

I would actually recommend taking caravan contracts to re-base your men once the contracts in the area run out, since that saves you food and gives well supplied bonus to the town you arrive in.

Of course you may get a bullshit orc/bandit/necro fight that fucks you majorly.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Donkringel posted:

I would actually recommend taking caravan contracts to re-base your men once the contracts in the area run out, since that saves you food and gives well supplied bonus to the town you arrive in.

Of course you may get a bullshit orc/bandit/necro fight that fucks you majorly.
Yeah, you can always get jumped by some enemies you're just not ready for.
It's not only that, though. Taking a caravan contract also means you're not getting to fight the battles you want to fight, because easy enemy groups won't attack your caravan. And even if you have a perfect road connection the caravan is slower than your company would be.
So even if the contract goes well you lose time and potentially miss out on XP and loot just for a bit of money.

I do like to use them to give some settlement with one or more stores well supplied like you said, though. What I wrote above was mainly meant as early game advice, although I didn't make that entirely clear.
Later on when I have the money and know which settlements have armorers/weaponsmiths/fletchers I do sometimes take caravan contracts to maybe get the game to generate an affordable named item.
Especially when I have some injuries or lots of repairs to take care of because the random roaming enemy groups that can end a run early on don't scare me anymore at that point. So I can use the time the caravan takes for my bros to recover before attacking the next bandit camp or ruined fortress.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 26, 2020

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nuclear War posted:

Don't spend money on weapons, loot them (you can buy tier 1 weapons at the very start of the game so your guys all have spears or at least something better than a knife). Your money should mostly go on hiring and then wherever possible saving up to invest in some strong armour. One brother with a reinforced hauberk is nearly immortal in the early to mid game but a whole army of bros with slightly upgraded gear will still take injuries all over.

Try to hire cheap but effective recruits - this is mostly fairly intuitive, farmers and brawlers for example have stats which make them generally better at fighting than the really random backgrounds (and stuff like historian and refugee is really bad). Don't just hire crap bros to fill out the numbers quickly, as the game does scale encounters slightly based on how many you have.

Trading can be a good way of making some extra cash but it depends on map spawn. Buy in small settlements and sell in the cities (unless the city also produces the same goods).

As others said, don't do caravan contracts. Do 1 skull contracts only until you're very confident of moving up and be wary of anything with an unexpectedly high reward. Don't haggle for extra money as this actually reduces your reputation with factions very slightly, and the extra cash is usually minimal (exception for patrol contracts where you can potentially make a ton of money)

In the early game flails are your friend, a quick route to better armour is to headshot a helmetless bandit raider with a flail. In general you want to fight bandits as much as possible in the early game because they can give you a huge power spike with dropped weapons, and once you get to the point where you're fighting raiders constantly they are a nice source of 140hp helmets.

Don't necessarily give everyone a shield, even with regular 1 handed weapons you get a huge 25% damage boost from not using a shield. Giving your best 1 or 2 fighters your best weapons and armour early on with no shield and using weaker brothers defensively to prevent your high damage units from being hurt is a very effective strategy (though easier to gently caress up than just making a big line of shields)

Once you're well established give everyone a dagger in their weapon swap so you can use the puncture secondary attack to kill enemies without damaging their armour while mopping up.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 26, 2020

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

One thing I don't see in guides much is that you need to intensively micro manage your bros when it comes to pathfinding, both on the world map and in encounters

Don't trust the AI for even a second. On the world map, it'll happily choose the fastest way between two points by terrain even if it means running straight into that plethora of necrosavants you're desperately trying to avoid.

In battle, auto-retreating is an invitation to have random bros pick retarded routes which ends up with them getting clusterfucked by ancient legionnaires. More noticeable in broken terrain

It's why I eventually threw my hands up and installed the Pause When Hostile Party Sighted mod. Way too easy to lose a company to a moment of carelessness

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

tentacles posted:

In battle, auto-retreating is an invitation to have random bros pick retarded routes which ends up with them getting clusterfucked by ancient legionnaires. More noticeable in broken terrain
I still don't understand why they got rid of the old retreat mechanic. Just that plus the ability to retreat without injuries during the first turn would be a good retreat mechanic. The current retreat mechanic is a trap most of the time.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Wizard Styles posted:

I still don't understand why they got rid of the old retreat mechanic. Just that plus the ability to retreat without injuries during the first turn would be a good retreat mechanic. The current retreat mechanic is a trap most of the time.

I think just because it allowed you to cheese hard locations earlier than you normally could by going in, killing 8-10 out of 20-something dudes then retreating before you take any losses and coming back with your second line and the least injured guys from the first fight and finishing it off. To be honest it rarely mattered unless you took a contract above your paygrade or really wanted to kill a big orc encampment with an undergeared party.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Retreat should be a smidge easier in general. Attacks of opportunity only for moving through rather than for moving out of someone's zone of control, something like that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Best way to retreat is with the load button.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Before my time! Though I've read about it. I don't mind the current retreat rules, just wish the pathfinding wasn't rear end

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There was one time when one of my guys got completely trapped while retreating, just moving back and forth in the middle of a forest every turn forever even after everyone else had already escaped. But all the enemies had decided they couldn't catch him so they were all just holding still. After like turn 200 I had to just quit the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

AFAIK you can’t pause the retreat and retake control, which is the big bummer for me.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Automatic retreat is basically a drunken race through an unlit obstacle course. If you choose to retreat manually instead and the enemy brought 50 units, you're in for a really tedious 15 minutes of clicking to back out of a fight you never wanted.

It shouldn't be painless, but it would be nice if the world map gave an option to skip encounters by taking a morale hit and maybe losing supplies.

aphid_licker posted:

Retreat should be a smidge easier in general. Attacks of opportunity only for moving through rather than for moving out of someone's zone of control, something like that.

Footwork (level 5 perk) lets you do that at a high fatique cost. Making it built-in and free would be a huge buff for ranged attackers since they could continuously back away from melee attackers and shoot without penalty.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Garfu posted:

It exists. It leaves your bros with permanent injuries that heal over the course of 10-40 days, can be adjusted. You can also adjust the values yourself in the game files so you can't be "fatalitied" and whatnot. It's been a while since I played so I don't remember the name, but I definitely used it.

edit: https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/155

Changes permanent injuries to injuries that can be healed, and changes death chance when downed. The latter can be changed to be 0%

Ah thanks for that, maybe now I can play the game.
I don't care if losing guys is "part of the game" tbh. It is in xcom too and I still reload it there when someone dies.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Avasculous posted:

Automatic retreat is basically a drunken race through an unlit obstacle course. If you choose to retreat manually instead and the enemy brought 50 units, you're in for a really tedious 15 minutes of clicking to back out of a fight you never wanted.

It shouldn't be painless, but it would be nice if the world map gave an option to skip encounters by taking a morale hit and maybe losing supplies.

Footwork (level 5 perk) lets you do that at a high fatique cost. Making it built-in and free would be a huge buff for ranged attackers since they could continuously back away from melee attackers and shoot without penalty.
I don't think he was saying that should be in the regular combat, but only when retreating. Which I agree with to some extent, but doesn't really address why they changed it in the first since you could still just camp at the edge of the map and not risk your dudes being trapped when you call a retreat.

Really the problem is as soon as an enemy catches up to one of your guys he can keep up and harass every turn just because of bad pathing, which is obnoxious. Maybe an extra point of movement per turn while retreating to reflect the total abandonment of tactical awareness and willingness to fight would be better?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

There was one time when one of my guys got completely trapped while retreating, just moving back and forth in the middle of a forest every turn forever even after everyone else had already escaped. But all the enemies had decided they couldn't catch him so they were all just holding still. After like turn 200 I had to just quit the game.

Stuff like this takes the magic out of Ironman runs for me. Another offender is alps, aka the joint mayors of Crashtown in the state of Frozengames, Hangistan

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, they really should have just put in "are any of your bro's in contact with an enemy? No? You can retreat without injury. If they're in contact you have x % chance of injury.

Still can be cheesed by honestly its a single player game, let people cheese if they want.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Ixtlilton posted:

I think just because it allowed you to cheese hard locations earlier than you normally could by going in, killing 8-10 out of 20-something dudes then retreating before you take any losses and coming back with your second line and the least injured guys from the first fight and finishing it off. To be honest it rarely mattered unless you took a contract above your paygrade or really wanted to kill a big orc encampment with an undergeared party.
I mean, admittedly that is how I beat the 47 goblin city the first time. And the second time.
But for regular locations I don't really see this as a problem. You're still running around with an incapacitated company and losing time and money as a result. You may get a named item earlier that way but the named item may also be trash.
And they could have just changed the special locations like the goblin city to instantly repopulate after you leave.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What is up with all these named items that are kinda shite

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sometimes the no-name brands are actually better

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
New Dev Diary!
Soundtrack of the South

Music sounds awesome, just like all of the music in the game.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-135-location-environments/

DEV BLOG #135: LOCATION ENVIRONMENTS

quote:

We’ve previously announced that we’re going to portray any location that you’re fighting at, such as a graveyard or a brigand camp, also on the tactical combat map. If you haven’t done so already, it’s highly recommended that you read up on our explanation of why we’re doing this and how we’re addressing potential issues here. Since this feature is now more or less ready, it’s time to take a closer look at how it plays out!

LOCATION ENVIRONMENTS
First off, location environments will be included for free with the upcoming 1.4 update – this includes graveyards, ruins, and various camps for humans, orcs and goblins. If you choose to get the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC, you’ll also have desert raider encampments and southern ruins in battle, and if you own the ‘Warriors of the North DLC’, you’ll get to see barbarian camps and villages. But you don’t need to own either to see most of the new environments.

As we’ve said previously, we want fighting brigands in the open field to feel different from engaging them at their camp. Indeed, where their camp is located and what kind of camp those brigands have should also become more important. Smaller camps may be a loose collection of bedrolls around a campfire, providing a largely cosmetic backdrop for your battle, while larger camps may even have fortifications, like wooden palisades, that provide cover for the defenders. If a location does have fortifications, you’ll see it both in the location’s tooltip on the world map and in the engage screen before you start your assault.

A location with fortifications is harder to assault, but it doesn’t mean that you’ll have to bring siege equipment. Take a look at the barbarian camp below. It’s quite a defensible position, being the extreme example of a fortified camp built on a hill, but we’ve deliberately kept holes in the palisades. Those palisades are enough to limit your angles of attack, change up things and make you think twice on how to go about your assault, but never enough to bring the entire battle to a halt at a single chokepoint. Although the location environment doesn’t look like it makes the battle any easier, it does make it a lot more predictable where you and the enemy start, and more a question of good tactics and less of having luck with spawn positions.

Unlike with field battles, which most of your battles are still going to be, your men don’t start in a battle line right in front of your opponents when assaulting locations. You’ll still start in formation, but further to the left, whereas the enemy starts in their camp to the right. There’s also going to be a couple of instances where the roles are reversed and you have to defend a location against attackers.

If you don’t want to fight the enemy at their camp, you can attempt to lure out their garrison on the world map to fight them in the open and then return to easily sack the location afterwards. On the other hand, engaging the enemy at their camp may sometimes be advantageous over luring out their garrison onto difficult terrain. That’s because your enemies naturally cut down trees at their camps, making for open spaces, and build their camps only on dry spots within swamps. So instead of having to fight goblins in murky marshlands where your heavily armored men get stuck, you can descend upon their camp and fight them on solid ground. Ultimately, location environments are about bringing more variety and atmosphere to combat in Battle Brothers, and about adding another strategic consideration to the world map.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've wanted this for a very long time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That looks awesome.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This game never ceases to amaze me. I picked it up on sale as a cheap indie game that I thought would be fun for a little bit and now here I am 800 hours and 2, soon to be 3 expansions later.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I am so loving erect for this

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I picked this up on a recommendation, and I get a critical error on run saying that my Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti is too old to create a frame buffer for the UI? :confused:

Searching Steam discussions seems that this was something that should have been hotfixed back in 2016 or whatever, does anyone have any clues for me as to how to solve this? I searched the thread already but didn't come up with any results, forums search is... well, you probably know, so that doesn't mean it hasn't come up in here before.

edit: never mind, I guess I had thought my drivers were up to date but apparently they werent. Weird how finicky this game is about OpenGL but oh well, problem solved it seems.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 12, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Glad to hear it. I have a 1080ti and I've never had an issue like you describe. (it's kind of funny to me that I bought a 1080ti and yet this is by far my most played game since I bought my current PC, at just under 800 hours.)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Friday Dev Blog! :toot:

Smaller Things

http://battlebrothersgame.com/

quote:

The next update to Battle Brothers will introduce not just major new gameplay features, many of which we’ve already talked about, but will also include countless smaller additions and improvements. This week we’re taking a look at some of those. Let’s start!

NEW BANNERS
Naturally, the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC will come with several new banners to pick for your mercenary company. They all sport a southern look and are a good fit for a southern-themed playthrough.

We’ll also have a Supporter Edition again for those who want to support us in developing Battle Brothers above and beyond. As a thank you, you’ll get a unique southern-style banner with some extra bling this time.

AMBITIONS
The next update will include some rebalancing on currently available ambitions, but the upcoming DLC will add a whole bunch of new ones. Many of these new ambitions are tailored to specific playstyles – for example, perhaps you’re more into trading? There’s a new ambition for becoming a master trader. Or perhaps you’re into banditry and robbing caravans? We’ve got you covered. Because unlocking additional slots for your retinue of non-combat followers requires renown (the system was slightly revised since we last talked about it), these new ambitions also help out with more specialized playstyles that previously had a harder time at accumulating renown.

When picking ambitions, it’s obviously helpful to know beforehand what exactly is asked of you and what your your reward is going to be in order to make an informed choice of your company’s next steps. That’s why the ambition selection now includes a detailed tooltip showing exactly that.

MORE REACTIVITY
In an effort to bring more reactivity to the world of Battle Brothers, we’ve added a few more ways to interact with parties on the worldmap. For example, if you happen upon a caravan that is being attacked, and you rescue them, they’ll now properly thank you and often provide you with some kind of reward. As they then tell the story of how you saved them to others, your relations to settlements will also improve this way.

Farmers travelling between settlements to sell their produce on local markets may now also offer it to you. That’s convenient for the farmers, as they don’t have to travel all the way to the next settlement, but can return early to their loved ones, and it may be convenient for you, as it’s a way to get cheaper supplies on the road. Of course, you can also decide to just take it from the farmers by force – after all, what are they going to do about it against a company of armed men?

TRADE
The ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC will introduce several new trade goods produced only under the blistering heat of the southern sun, such as silk, incense and spices. But while previously the prices of trade goods were affected only by the size of a settlement and whether it produced a trade good itself, it’s now also a matter of how far away a trade good is produced.

Southern trade goods, such as spices, will earn you a higher profit up north, where such goods are not commonly available. Conversely, northern trade goods, like thick furs, will earn you higher profit down in the south, where even a bear pelt is a valuable curiosity. All this makes trading across the continent and across larger distances more profitable.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
But are they going to add actual bears

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I dunno man most of my party were bears.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Is there a good mod that makes the crises longer? 30 days feels too short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
All those changes are really good, especially the ambition tooltips.