Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ed: nvm I'm dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Just found an amazing seed:

Lundirsholm to Gunnborg is 3 citadels and 2 cities along the same road

2 lumber camps and a gem mine in the southern tail of the loop

at least one named item camp north of Halfdansted

7 out of 10 settlements have weaponsmiths :hist101:

oh yeah and the stag house is down south if you like fancy hats

DTIRJNZFIF fill ya boots

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

8 Ball posted:

DTIRJNZFIF fill ya boots

Nice buildings, however I'm not a fan of the number of ports and their location (arena port though!).

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Are there any mods that adjust the leveling scaling? It's kinda weird to constantly encounter teleporting mercenary bands that have 20+ dudes

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

8 Ball posted:

DTIRJNZFIF fill ya boots

Thanks for the recommendation! Started a game on it yesterday (Lone Wolf) and it's good fun. Just bought a rather well rolled famed swordlance off one of those many weaponsmiths.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

8 Ball posted:

DTIRJNZFIF fill ya boots

quotin for my collection. Cheers!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Am i doing something wrong with my davkul band?
Day 65 and i had a whole single one event where i sacrificed a dude.
i picked up every cultist i could find, roster is 18 guys of which 10 are cultists and not a single one got converted.

Feels kinda like a normal company but with the chance of losing half of it to an event.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

thats RNG Baybee.

BB is a pretty brutal game for that sort of thing, and if they do a sequel or spiritual sequel they really need to look at their methods for distributing these kinds of events.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Absolutly, yes - RNG rolling "bland and boring" isnt really good design.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Same for the maps tbh

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Am i doing something wrong with my davkul band?
Day 65 and i had a whole single one event where i sacrificed a dude.
i picked up every cultist i could find, roster is 18 guys of which 10 are cultists and not a single one got converted.

Feels kinda like a normal company but with the chance of losing half of it to an event.

There's a like 30 day period or something before the events can start happening, so sacrifices are generally more common than that but also you're gonna waste a lot of time (and by extension money since you need to pay your dudes and feed them the whole time) hanging around towns with taverns when you know it's been 3+ weeks since the last one.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I dipped into Iron Oath because it was the weekend and I was bored.

It uh, kinda sucks. It has all the set up for BB style fun hex fightin, but the battlefields are incredibly small and limited. I've been through four "dungeons" and every fight so far has been in a corridor maybe 7-8 hexes tall, and 15ish wide? There's lots of obstacles/pits/walls etc too, so it's extremely rare you can selectively engage with the enemy with any kind of tactics, you either funnel through the 1 choke point where they are, or wait until they come through it to you. It feels more like HOMM1 in that respect than BB (with more random bushes/tree branches on the field). I get they had to zoom in somewhat, because you can only have 4 guys + NPCs on the field, but it's kind of frustrating. There's skill trees for your characters, some of which improve battlefield mobility or do tricks with positioning, but the field is so constrained that they're frankly useless the majority of the time. E.g. there's a puglist skill where you can back attack someone. Except 90% of the time there's no actual hex behind the enemy free of obstacles/other enemies, so you can't.

I have 4 hours of play time, and I feel like I'm still stuck in the tutorial. You can't pick and choose quests in the starter city, and in fact to get paid for the last contract you have to accept the next one. You start out money hosed and have to take the tutorial/main story quests just to survive. In addition, there's a bandit event on the starter city for me which means low/no stock in the marketplace, so I can't even equip my new recruits with the little money I have. There's no quest to clear the bandits either though, and I'm not sure how you do; I think you wander around the roads until you find some (there's no BB "see bad guys chase/get chased" mechanic, it's more like board game "suddenly something happens"). Except I can't waste time/money wandering the roads looking for bandits (if that will even work) because your guys are piling up fatigue/morale loss so your spare time/money is usually spent at the Inn recovering them. I can't even speak to how flexible the contract/city relation/travel system is, because so far the game hasn't let me engage with it.

The character system is... strangely bland. There's a lot of work done having guys chime in on narrative parts, based on their class/perk/negtrait set up, but you don't ever really feel connected to them and want to build them up against all odds. I think this is in part from the lack of a background system; you don't take a miner and turn him into 2H front liner, you recruit someone from a class and then... they just advance in that class. A guardian (kind of a paladin) becomes more of a guardian. A pugilist (kind of a cool monk) becomes more of a pugilist. What doesn't help is that the battlefield sprites (which are nicely drawn) are basically the same for each class, and don't reflect equipment/advancement. Your guardian at level 1 with crap armour looks the same as your guardian at level 4 with good armour. Lastly, because of the fatigue/morale system, you're generally cycling mooks in and out of the party so often that you don't get attached to them anyway. You have an OP stormcaller with good perception who can spot traps/secret rooms? Well, you can use him for maybe 2 dungeons at most before you have to switch him out.

That leads into the Darkest Dungeon aspect; you advance through dungeons one space at a time. Each move increments a sinister "timer", after 16 moves a global nega trait is applied (traps cause more damage, ambushes more likely, etc.) You can't see that far ahead in each dungeon, unless you Scout, which of course consumes time. So the idea is you're kind of racing a couple of clocks while going through a dungeon: a) the timer and the bad effects it adds b) your own guys health as you get into fights c) your own guys morale/fatigue/equipment durability and d) your dungeon traversing equipment list (tools, health items, morale items, camp supplies, etc). This actually works relatively well, though from limited experience the equipment part is basically a wallet check, e.g. at first you can't afford tools/campfires, but then later you probably can and don't think about it much. There are neat little narrative bits in the dungeons, and I even kind of like the idea as implemented thus far. There's some tension racing the various clock(s), but it all feels relatively slapped together at the moment, and the lack of connection to the characters, and the smallness of the combat field doesn't help.

I would say you probably shouldn't check this out if you're looking for more Battle Brothers. The combat fields may open up in future (I just got a quest where you get to fight outside) but it feels like the majority of progress takes place in dungeons, which as said are super constrained. I don't see the character system becoming more compelling, no matter how much interstitial dialogue they add, because the character variety/recruitment system is just not diverse enough to give you that xcom/bb style meta narrative about developing a soldier. I do think the darkest dungeon part kind of has legs and am curious where that goes, but am not sure if I want to engage with the limted combat options to find out. Lastly as said, I have no idea how the contract/cities/relations/events things work, perhaps because I am stupid.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I would say you probably shouldn't check this out if you're looking for more Battle Brothers. The combat fields may open up in future (I just got a quest where you get to fight outside) but it feels like the majority of progress takes place in dungeons, which as said are super constrained. I don't see the character system becoming more compelling, no matter how much interstitial dialogue they add, because the character variety/recruitment system is just not diverse enough to give you that xcom/bb style meta narrative about developing a soldier. I do think the darkest dungeon part kind of has legs and am curious where that goes, but am not sure if I want to engage with the limted combat options to find out. Lastly as said, I have no idea how the contract/cities/relations/events things work, perhaps because I am stupid.

I backed this on kickstarter forever ago. Battlefields do get more open once you get past the ludicrously long and boring tutorial. It does not, however, get more like BB. It definitely is more of a darkest dungeon with hex grid strategy game.

That's not necessarily bad, mind you. I like the game; I don't think it's as good as Darkest Dungeon, but it's also not complete. They are planning on adding more classes and a Company Council that is supposed to give you more feel for the characters, as well as another region, ocean travel, and an open post-game, as well as the usual enemies, tilesets, etc.

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 24, 2022

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I think it's a good one to keep an eye on since it's still EA and has a lot of work ahead of it. Drop money on it?

Eh, maybe, I've spent money on dumber things

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah the jury's still out for me on it's overall quality, but given the context of the thread thought I'd mention how I felt it related to Battle Brothers. Not all (any?) games can be Battle Brothers, and that's Okay.

With that said, the superficial commonalities (recruiting, hex combat, managing a mercenary company, contracts, city management/events, abstracted overworld, etc.) really make me think they wanted to do something Battle Brothers-esque, but if so they missed the mark.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

I dipped into Iron Oath because it was the weekend and I was bored.

That was a great write up, thank you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Yea I came to the conclusion just reading up on it that It’s not going to be what I’m after. On the other hand there is another game in early access that looks much more promising; though I can’t remember the name off the top of my head and I’m not home at the moment to check. It’s like battle brothers but with a 3D engine.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

The Lord Bude posted:

Yea I came to the conclusion just reading up on it that It’s not going to be what I’m after. On the other hand there is another game in early access that looks much more promising; though I can’t remember the name off the top of my head and I’m not home at the moment to check. It’s like battle brothers but with a 3D engine.

I think you are talking about Wartales.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1527950/Wartales/

The reviews are getting better, but everyone I know who has personally played this has been left a bit cold. It may just be early access woes though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Crazy Ferret posted:

The reviews are getting better, but everyone I know who has personally played this has been left a bit cold. It may just be early access woes though.

Thanks, yes I was. I have a very strong philosophy of never playing a game while it’s in Early access; I’ll wait for it to be properly finished and then see how it is. In the mean time, Battle Brothers is something I keep coming back to, and it is now officially my most played game of all time that isn’t world of warcraft. If only they’d release a damned Mac port so I don’t have to play in a VM.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I tried the Iron Oath demo and found it really boring and slow slow way too many animations for nothing.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
It's a lot closer to XCOM than BBros but I've been having a good time with the WH40k Daemonhunters: Chaos Gate game that just dropped. It's a solid turn based game that has some interesting twists on the formula to try to lead the player to playing more aggressively and take more risks. Your squad members get three actions (move, shoot, ability in any amount) per turn and get their AP refilled at the end of combat and upon discovering an enemy pod. There's a lot more focus on melee combat and, perhaps most intriguing, there is no to-hit RNG - ranged shots always hit exposed targets, deal half damage to targets in partial cover, and completely miss (but damage the cover) on targets in full cover. Percentage-based rolls only apply to things like status effects and crit chances, and there's a mechanic to stun tough enemies with repeated attacks for guaranteed crits. I booked about 15 hours in the last week and have been really enjoying it so far.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Crazy Ferret posted:

I've played an hour or two and basically every individual element felt 75% of the way to acceptable. It's getting consistent updates though so might be in playing shape in time for winter.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I'm starting to have this feeling that Battle Brothers is going to be like Myth: the Fallen Lords. An unbelievably good game that's so well balanced it seems like the mechanics and systems are just obvious and you start to think, "why isn't this being copied?"

And then nobody ever makes a game like it again.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I hope against hope that some day we will have BB2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

I've played an hour or two and basically every individual element felt 75% of the way to acceptable. It's getting consistent updates though so might be in playing shape in time for winter.

Yeah Wartales just suffers right now from 'significant mechanics overhauls are just over the horizon' which makes it difficult to invest.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

In my heart of hearts I still hope that someone takes the BB engine and makes a story driven campaign game like Fire Emblem out of it. The game can already be used to produce scenario type battles as the old demo and the tutorial scenarios show. Just need to chain them together and add some story and scripting into the mix. Heck you can even use the unit roster/inventory screen as the intermission screen where you organize stuff between scenarios and the different type of town screens for shoping/hiring.......let me dream okay :qq:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah a scaling / pacing overhaul removing half the chaff battles would be neato tbh.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
make the overworld turn based or something and go full space rangers 2 with text quests and the like.

current overworld sucks shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Alchenar posted:

Yeah Wartales just suffers right now from 'significant mechanics overhauls are just over the horizon' which makes it difficult to invest.

I think it'll scratch the itch in time to come, and the art and presentation looks like it can be built upon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tin Tim posted:

In my heart of hearts I still hope that someone takes the BB engine and makes a story driven campaign game like Fire Emblem out of it. The game can already be used to produce scenario type battles as the old demo and the tutorial scenarios show. Just need to chain them together and add some story and scripting into the mix. Heck you can even use the unit roster/inventory screen as the intermission screen where you organize stuff between scenarios and the different type of town screens for shoping/hiring.......let me dream okay :qq:

Battle Brothers but it's a Myth-Fire Emblem hybrid is my dream.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Final battle fantasy brothers tactics: the fallen lords

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

:hmmyes:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Has there ever been another game like myth? Early bungie was goddamn amazing.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Casualty.

Casualty.

Casualty.

loving dwarves and their bombs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You should have made way for the dwarf, he told you.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Molybdenum posted:

Casualty.

Casualty.

Casualty.

Posts you can hear.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Eason the Fifth posted:

Has there ever been another game like myth?

Myth II

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Molybdenum posted:

Casualty.

Casualty.

Casualties.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I played both Myth games with a group of about 20 people on a regular basis, and we did so much chatting that random people would come into a game, sit in the chat for five minutes, then ask, "did you guys pay $50 to chat?" When we held our first in-person get together, with people coming from all over the country for a LAN party, we printed t-shirts with that on the back. I do not believe I will ever play a game as completely satisfying, from the gameplay, story, music and the matchmaking interface. I legitimately made close, personal friends on bungie.net. I used the same name in those games, so if you remember a guy who was very bad in tournament games for Geezers from Hell, it may have been me.

Edited to add one anecdote that illustrates the friendship thing. I am from New Orleans, and right after Katrina, satellite images of my neighborhood showed some pretty bad flooding. It looked like my house and my parents' house were both underwater for a month. I was lucky; the water came to within an inch of my house; my parents got 2 feet of water. Before we learned that, though, a bunch of my friends from Myth - who couldn't reach me because I had no internet and I did not know how to text - put together something like $3,500 and sent it to me via paypal. I still choke up thinking about it, because a lot of my friends were younger and didn't have spare cash laying around. I didn't need the money, and when I finally talked to my friends about giving it back they wouldn't let me. With their permission I donated it. Since then, whenever one of us is in trouble, we all rally. Haven't had a Geezerfest in years, but whenever one of them comes to New Orleans, we get together.

Also, I went down a rabbit hole while posting and found a game that looks to be heavily influenced by Myth. It's called Nordic Warriors. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1174670/Nordic_Warriors/ Anyone played it?

rojay fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Well, hello there