Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm very fond of 4cdb39 as a map seed. The two melee starting bros both get Iron Lungs and the +10 resolve traits; and the layout is good. Only major issue is that there are only 2 temples on the map and they are in adjacent cities (the two harbour cities; which are in one corner of the map).

I've never managed to get much past the start of my first Crisis so far - the best run I had; I chose flails for all my shield dudes and I quickly found out that they suck once you get to the noble war.

I'm thinking about the following lineup for the new run I just started:

Front Line of 3x 2 handers and 4x shield bros. I plan on giving 2 of the two handers hammers and one of them swords - In my last run I did the opposite and I found that the sword dudes just weren't doing as much as the hammer dudes.

With my shield bros: I want to give each of them 2x weapon masteries and quick hands. 2 of the guys will get cleavers and hammers; along with a dagger for stealing armor. The other two will get Spears ( for funneling) and another weapon to do real damage once the lines meet - suggestions between maces or axes? And a dagger of course.

Rear line will be a Sergeant with the banner and a bunch of nets (I assume nets ranged attack for accuracy? how much do I need?) and 2x bows and 2x Crossbows. Bows and Crossbows dudes will also carry throwing axes for undead fights. I'm thinking of also giving them long axes - is this a good idea?

Also - what armor levels should I be targeting for each type of guy? I get that 2handers need the heaviest poo poo available, but what about guys with shields? Is it worth keeping them in direwolf mail for the debuff?

and what about archers/crossbowmen? How heavy is too heavy when your dudes have stuff like nimble? Is direwolf leather too much fatigue? what about direwolf mail?

Keen to hear what you guys think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm happy to say that I save scum all my hires - I'll probably stop once the preview feature is in game. Each town I go to I hire everyone, and keep whoever is really good. I'm pretty selective though. Game is brutally hard enough playing on vet/vet that I don't feel like I should be too embarrassed about this small indulgence. And it's nice to roll around with a frontline of all iron lung dudes. I've had great luck in my new game with finding them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

858154 is an amazing seed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Affi posted:

What’s its deal? Looking for a good seed to play the dlc:

you can see a map and starting traits here:

https://bb.frukso.se/seed/858154/

Bear in mind that when lindwurm came out it broke all the seeds - there's no reason to expect the new DLC will be any different.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:vince: where has this been all my life :vince:

And yeah the main reason I'm not playing right now is that I feel like I should wait till post-patch to start looking for a good seed.

It's not as good as it looks - there don't appear to be very many contributors - I don't think I've seen a single seed added in the fortnight or so that I've owned this game. Now that this thread knows about it though; hopefully some more people will add good random seeds they find.

My main trouble is finding good maps with decent access to hunters. I struggle to find good ranged dudes on both of the seeds I listed earlier. Bonus points if the map has good clusters of villages, and no vast expanses of swamp

edit: 229559 looks super promising. And one of the villages has salt/gems. Starting Bros aren't busted but the axe Bro is sarge material.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 9, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I absolutely despise swamps. I look for seeds with as little as possible. But if you go to the site I linked to further up; many of the seed entries have screenshots of the map. I'm sure you'll find one that is suitably swampy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

Swamps aren't very well liked, so year i'm expecting to have to spent a while generating.

Gonna be great though. YOU GET A PATHFINDER. YOU GET A PATHFINDER. YOU ALL GET PATHFINDER.

I'd hate a map where I have to waste a perk giving everyone pathfinder. And pathfinder doesn't fix the huge attack penalty for fighting in swampwater.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Especially if you're fighting, say, Bandits who are eating 3 AP poo poo in the woods while you beat them to all the choke points and establish pike and crossbow hell.

Until Man With A Crossbow, eternal nemesis of the Battle Brothers, pops out of a bush and domes a guy.

At which point you say 'Gee I wish I'd taken steel brow instead of wasting a perk giving my melee bros pathfinder.'

Like Seriously I think I would need probably 2 extra perk slots before I could find one to spare on pathfinder.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mostly follow this guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185230449

I don't know how good it is; but it feels better than anything else I've found. I don't use pikemen though. So 1h dudes get colossus - fortified mind - shield expert - brawny; Dudes good enough to be 2 handers get recover - steel brow brawny - weapon mastery. I figure guys with a shield need steel brow less because they have a higher ranged defence; and the AI tries to target bros with the lowest defence scores.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Day 7. I take on the typical early game 1 skull contract to go kill a few Ancient Auxiliaries in a graveyard. No big deal; I like those quests because they give me a free supply of good early game helmets. Except the graveyard in question is almost a day's march away; deep in the wilderness, in goblin territory. Not only do I have to clear the graveyard, but my 8 man company has to contend with 2 separate parties of goblins - one on the way comprised of 4 skirmishers; one on the return trip of 4 wolfriders. Luckily I made it back to civilization with nothing more serious than a missing eye on one dude and a missing ear on another.

Broken Cog posted:

There is a pretty common undead group you can run into early on that is just one level 3 Nachzehrer, and it can tear your group apart if you're not prepared for it.
Luckily, they're pretty stupid, so you can usually cheese it with a good ol' spearwall.

I don't understand how you can lose men to a single Nachzehrer, level 3 or otherwise. They just walk into your spearwall until they die. Even half a dozen of the baby ones should be no trouble for an early company (anything post killing Hogarth)

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 12, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If you do want him upfront swords use less fatigue than other weapons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

What's the consensus on fighting against dudes with shields? Is it worth attempting to break the shield (risking higher damage from double grip; and wasting turns) or should you just try and batter through?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Closest I've had to a glitch in the 150+ hours of this game that I've played over the past couple of weeks is one time where edge scrolling mysteriously stopped working till I quit and reloaded.

I think from what I've read there's one particular antivirus that disagrees with it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That's plenty of time for a last hurrah campaign before all the seeds inevitably get scrambled again. Anybody want to suggest their favorite seed?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Are there certain conditions that have to be met before the game will give you the contract to kill bandits playing dress up as direwolves? or is it just incredibly rare? I've reloaded about 20 times on a 3 skull contract on day 24 to try and get the bandits but so far no luck. I wish it was more common.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think my game might be bugged, in a good way. I've just had 4 contracts in a row to take out a bandit encampment; and all of them have had the twist where a bandit leader just happens to be visiting and you get extra money from presenting his head.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

vyelkin posted:

The game is setting you up to get Charlie Browned when a group of bounty hunters shows up on the fifth one.

The Bounty hunters showed up on number 4. I just let them take the drat head, an extra 900 gold wasn't worth the effort when my guys were all completely hosed from the last battle.

I've also killed several fallen heros; and my three 2h dudes have managed to get equipped with 240 helmets and armor free of charge. I thought they'd object to wearing armor that had an undead dude inside it for god knows how long but they're cultists so I guess they're into that poo poo? They look cool in their big black helmets.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If I have a patrol mission that pays by the head; will I get money for kills I make if I wander off and take out an enemy fortress? or does it only count kills within a specific geographic area?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Direwolves and Nachzehrers (missing villager quests can put you up against either) are easy because they have weaker AI than human opponents. They will always charge you no matter what so you can soften them up considerably by having all your guys spearwall - they will run right into the spearwall and take a ton of damage. Also remember that damage will weaken their morale - manipulating morale is a key way to win.

If you find one or the other easier to deal with; save before taking the quest, and reload if you don't like what you got.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tias posted:

You savescum for wolf mail? At what moment exactly? Not going to do it at this point, but it's good to know.

Save before you click on a contract. The specifics don't get generated till you click on the scroll. If the contract turns out to be a missing villager contract; keep reloading until the enemy party turns out to be bandits playing dress up. You need to actually start a combat with the enemy party to learn what you're up against.

For what it's worth the chance of it being wolf mail bandits is super low - you might have to reload dozens of times.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

hopefully there will be new ranged oriented backgrounds. It's currently much too hard to find decent ranged recruits unless you luck out and get a map seed with lots of villages that can attract hunters.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thanks for the ambush by 6 goblins on day 9, game. I barely managed to take them out without losing anyone.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Well I just met my first Unholds. That was fun.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Do you guys think it's worth going 100% crossbows for your ranged attackers now that bows have been nerfed? Or is it still worth going 50/50?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

There’s nothing like having your 5 man band take out 4 orc young on day 7; then being king poo poo because one of your front liners has an orc cleaver. He turns bandit thugs into mulch.

My ambition is to turn him into a cleaver plate duelist eventually.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Iron lungs too?

[Edit]

:f5:

Absolutely.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Can I just say: gently caress Hexes. gently caress them all; that is the most unfun poo poo ever. Does anyone know how much resolve I need to be targeting for my guys to make sure they can't easily get mind controlled?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

It is a bother yea. Clubs equipped and hope they don't change to the polearm i have for the unholds and other nasties they bring along. Always gets ugly. I'll admit i usually avoid them.

I have more trouble with the new alps though. To actually win a fight against 11 of them I had to break my own rules and savescum like 10 times. Only way i could find to beat them reliably was to undress all my guys, equip them with spears, daggers and pikes, and be real thoughtful about tho hit what. One misstep and the bastard shades fondled a brother with no chance to miss. Man that was a slow fight.

[EDIT] Dunno what resolve gets you down to 5% chance, but even my 70+ guys get charmed quite often

Haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Alps yet. I used to think ~50 resolve + a good sergeant was fine, but now I think it's not enough. I suspect I'm going to end up taking fortified mind on everyone.

What's the final verdict on nimble now? still just for archers and light duelists? What about putting a sergeant or a back row polearm dude in light armor and giving them nimble?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

So are you saying that a dude with medium weight armor; Battleforged and nimble is better than a straight battleforged/plate dude, or that it's just an option for salvaging bros that are good except in the area of fatigue? I tend to save scum my hires and only hire the very best of the best to begin with.

also; really good seed: https://bb.frukso.se/seed/ZIICTKKBZH/

Is colossus + Nimble enough on it's own for melee/polearm guys; or do you need other defensive perks like dodge or steel brow?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 27, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Also: Does initiative have any benefit other than moving first (and by extension; the overwhelm perk?) I find that I don't really have the spare perks for overwhelm, and I tend to make my archers wait on turn one so that the enemy gets closer - therefore can I just ignore initiative even on archers?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

It affects Dodge

Ok, so do we still need dodge+anticipation+nimble now that nimble is a flat damage reduction?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thanks for the insight. I usually end up with 3 2handers or 2 2handers and a duelist; and 4 1h+ shield guys in the front line, and 2 bowmen, 2 crossbowmen, and a sergeant in the rear. I suspect I'll end up sticking with heavy armor in the front; but I'll consider nimble for the sergeant, and it's good to know I can skip dodge with the archers - that means I can now safely ignore initiative as well

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

How the loving hell are you supposed to fight Alps when they can each spawn 2 nightmares per turn, effectively keeping you surrounded and spawning them faster than you can kill them? my 10 man party was ambushed by 8 of the fuckers in the night; and my guys started the fight completely surrounded...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Reload the auto save and give everyone spears, swords, and daggers. No shields. Basically you want to maximize your to-hit chance and max fatigue. Keep your guys close together, at most splitting into two groups.

I ended up reloading from a save 5 mins earlier, then waiting till dawn to travel between the two cities. All my front liners have a dagger to use for capturing nice armor; but other than that I don't commonly travel with a variety of extra weapons. Even if I'd done that though I'm not sure how much help it would have been - 4 of my 10 were archers; so they wouldn't have been able to hit the broad side of a barn with melee weapons. 8 alps vs 10 of my men were spawning 16 nightmares every turn, starting turn 1 since they ambushed me. And because I was surrounded; they were spawning on both sides of my lines, so I couldn't even have any of my guys tank them while others moved away.

Edit: maybe I need to deploy doggos

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Nothing chases away nightmares like your bestest dog buddy

This turned out to be completely correct! I’ve never used dogs before really - I’ve always found them a waste - maybe good for chasing down an escaping archer, but rarely useful in a real fight. But lol and behold; I had a contract to wait in a village and be ambushed by 6 alps; and dogs made mincemeat out of it. I bought 12 dogs; unleashed them all, and they tore the nightmares apart.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Hey guys, I am enjoying this game, and I decided to go ahead and just get the DLC. However, only after buying it and loading my game does it say that not all of the DLC features are available unless I start over. I'm like twenty hours in, which I know to some is not very much, but I have ADHD so for me twenty hours is like a monumental achievement. It doesn't say what features are still included with loading my old save, but at first glance I can't see anything different. I'm really not interested in starting over. I worry that this is one of those times where it is easier to say "not all of the features..." when they really mean "none of the features." Can anyone lend some insight on what DLC features I will and will not be enjoying?

You definitely won’t be getting any of the new enemies; or I guess missions related to them. You also won’t get the taxidermist (and by extension any of the craftable items) since they would have had to be placed in towns when the map was created.

You might see some of the new weapons and armour types appearing in the game; possibly also the changes to various perks that were patched in.

So basically gently caress all. But if it’s any consolation this isn’t the sort of game that you finish and then never touch again. Especially given this is your first play through, it’s unlikely you’d have gone long term on your first run

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m on about 300 hours. The value for money and replayability on this game is insane.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think it’s too difficult to ever have mainstream popularity. That’s a good thing though. We need more devs willing to make exactly
What a niche audience wants; instead of making generic games for the lowest common denominator.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Alright, guys, I just took the plunge and started over. Zero regreWHAT THE gently caress IS AN ALP gently caress

The secret to easily defeating Alps is to give each guy a dog. The dogs will quickly and easily kill the nightmares each turn leaving your guys free to move in on the Alps. Until you can afford that; don't travel around at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The game should just start upgrade the gear/level of human opponents after the first crisis. The rational being after such a large military conflict there are more experienced soldiers who turn to banditry when they get unemployed, and there’s a glut of weaponry and armour on the market.