Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
When are they gonna release this DLC. I can only get so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The hell event even triggers that?

I love how there are people complaining about sociopathic writing only seen if you choose sociopathic options in this vidya game

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

No it's about tasteless implied rape.

Well, I stand loving corrected. Please, tell me more about the tasteful implied rape which you've implied is ethically and morally defensible in your well-thought out and reasoned rebuttal to the dangers of implied meanings in fantasy content

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

What exactly do you think this means?

That it's implied your mercenaries raped her.

Sorry, were you going somewhere with that?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's gross, friend, and unnecessary to the grittiness of the game world. It does not add verisimilitude.

I hope this helps you understand.

Odd. I didn't find it detracted from my enjoyment of the game world at all. Because I never saw it, because I never chose the option which involved enforcing my wishes upon a helpless party.

Kinda like that thing you find so vocally gross, friend. Believe me when I say I'd rather never understand where you're coming from.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

To me the true Battle Brothers experience will always be my strong idiot soldiers trying to shoot the sun or begging me to keep a puppy.

This, except the puppy heroically perishes saving my brain damaged battle bro from a Natckzeh Nichtzuhrer Nahctfhr bloody horrible undead thing

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
All this (admittedly healthy though needlessly tone-deaf) debate got me thinking though – with the barbarians in the north and slavers in the south, could the coming DLC be some sort of subversive commentary on pre-Civil War America?

Fake edit: If so, the Nachos would be a critique on fast food eating habits among the urban middle class, I'm guessing

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I'd say, if you can ascribe any depth to such a shallow setting, the middle is fuedal Europe, north is Vikings, south is Arabs

Is it shallow? I haven't picked up the lore book so no idea how much detail they go into

Oh that reminds me, not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere... Starting in the central and southern regions seems gimped compared to VikingLand in the north due to the resale value on barbarian drops. One good encounter would roughly equal a contract's value in the early game, if I remember right. My first mercenary company that really got off the ground got their start by bumping into barbarian parties and camps.

That's if you don't count trading of course, which I sometimes get into and sometimes don't

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

JFC that mortar. Here, have a game designed around tight formations, and now, have an enemy (-exclusive) unit type designed to punish tight formations

Wonder if it'll be on the same level of bullshit as necrosavants

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Voyager I posted:

They're an extremely rare enemy that only shows up in specific endgame encounters. Those are supposed to mix up the combat formula.

No poo poo, Sherlock. Thought exercise: How would you counter the mechanic as described?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Lategame archers who can pick off the engineers from distance, heavy armour to weather the small damage the mortar does in the meantime, a high-resolve sergeant to counteract the morale damage.

Thank you sexypants. The clincher here is that they're fielded behind large armies, which means we''ll be doing all that while fighting superior numbers under that Shellshocked debuff (no idea if Rally removes)

Put together with the typical Battle Bros RNG and I see many many beloved bros going byebye :sadwave:

Voyager I posted:

You also have the option of closing to melee quickly so they can't safely lob an inaccurate area template at the place where your soldiers are concentrated.

Like c'mon dude you're raging in advance about an enemy we have no details about and that a typical campaign will probably fight 0-2 times while also namedropping Necrosavants of all things as the problem children of the opposing rosters.

Who's raging? It's called theorycrafting, which the poster above you actually got. How many misguided white knights does this thread have?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Seems pretty ragey to me, my dude, and totally not "just theory crafting".

Hey man. I grew up in the Valley. Cussing's like, my mode of expression.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I mean without knowing anything more than a basic blog post, they gave us enough to be sure that the mortar has both strengths and weaknesses. Like sure it's an AOE that can fire from anywhere on the map and inflicts an extra debuff to your guys, but it also only fires every other turn, is extremely inaccurate, can't move to get out of arrow range or run away from melee bros, and only does "moderate physical damage" plus a morale hit. You may have to adjust your tactics to minimize damage (for example, bringing more frontliners to spread your guys out instead of being tightly packed together, or even not having a solid frontline as you normally would, so that your guys are even more spread out and let more opponents through to soak up AOE damage targeting your guys) but it doesn't sound unmanageable, especially since the big AOE and inaccuracy likely means it will harm your opponents a lot of the time as well and the engineers in the image don't look very arrow-resistant.

You keep that up and they'll make them fire-friendly proof for the holy warriors

Having a fluid frontline works in real theaters of engagement but usually spells hard wipes for my company except against certain encounters (necrosavants, Alps, anything with weird AI/engagement mechanics)

it'll be interesting to see how it matches up against a mixed force backed by gently caress-off big gonnes

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Donkringel posted:

I wonder if the mortars will encourage a specialized lone wolf brother. Enage your main troop with the front lines, then specialezed lone wolf brother goes after mortar.

Granted thats the only reason I see lone wolf being immediately useful (besides the scenario and the barbarian Lord event)

Southpaugh posted:

sounds like nimble archers will be killing/tanking AOE gun boys

So far these seem to be the most viable counters against what looks to be a big "you lose" button from the devs. The lone wolf bro strategy already works in fights with necromancers, but it's interesting in that the devs had the AI prioritising meatshields for those – plus powering through the Weiderganger frontline is relatively straightforward in comparison

Nimble archer has merit for a build I never use otherwise. Brings to mind rogues with improved evasion from D&D for some reason. Less survivable than lone wolf melee bro. Interesting datum: Nimble doesn't affect damage from status effects. We can only hope that mortar damage and the Shellshocked debuff are applied separately

Thinking about the two strats, maybe... a... lone wolf nimble archer? Seems like a huge investment for a rare encounter most players would rather avoid, given that good archers are one of Battle Bros' rarer resources

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Back Hack posted:

Latest dev blog just came out and, well there is no easy way to say this, but the city states get mortars.

It's okay. I'll counter with the mortar in my pants

It, too, fires only every other round

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

This game's dollar value is unreal - I have almost 1000 hours played and my next most played in XCOM 2 with like 200. If it wasn't for flushing so many hours into Diablo 2 during high school, BBros would be my most played game by a country mile.

drat, son. That's a lot of Battle Bros. I play on and off but usually take a break after losing a company

Probably half my playtime goes towards rolling new seeds. So irritating to start in a region with crap in the way of civilian contracts

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

El Spamo posted:

I should uninstall it and play vanilla again, but I have other games and the next DLC is sooooo close.

Got some bad news for you!

On the plus side, you can get round to that to-play list

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
The real danger of the Pandemic crisis is economic ruin

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Possibility of dying from Brovid is 1%, or 3% for at-risk Bros. With the application of Battle Bros RNG, this is functionally 95%

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Talk around the taverns is that Brovid-19 originated from Strange Meat provisions found in eastern cities

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Garfu posted:

It exists. It leaves your bros with permanent injuries that heal over the course of 10-40 days, can be adjusted. You can also adjust the values yourself in the game files so you can't be "fatalitied" and whatnot. It's been a while since I played so I don't remember the name, but I definitely used it.

edit: https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/155

Changes permanent injuries to injuries that can be healed, and changes death chance when downed. The latter can be changed to be 0%

I love how healthy the modding scene is. I did my best to play vanilla but ended up using the Faster and Pause When Hostile Party Sighted mods to stay sane

Now if only I could find a mod to get rid of that irritating/bloated autosave when exiting a city in Ironman...

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

Bone questions for those who are better at videogames than I am:

- Does anyone have a good map seed for Northern Barbarians? Preferably one with a faction spread where the northern faction you can get back to peace with dominates the north. Sucks to not really be able to campaign in the bit of the map that gives you your thematic recruits/events/enemies.

Sorry mate, only started archiving seeds recently, and so far haven't come across any spectacular northern starts. Will update here if I do!

Have to say I evaluate cities in seeds based on distance/roads between them and availability of contracts, haven't really been keeping an eye on noble factions

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

- Does anyone have a good map seed for Northern Barbarians? Preferably one with a faction spread where the northern faction you can get back to peace with dominates the north. Sucks to not really be able to campaign in the bit of the map that gives you your thematic recruits/events/enemies.
- Bonus if anyone can provide the golden goose/ijirok quest locations for that seed. I've never got to do the Ijirok because I've simply never come across the location in any of my playthroughs.
- Open to other start ideas. I've done Lone Wolf already and it's good. Monster Hunters seems to punish gear too much. Poachers could be fun?

Trip report, not Northern Raiders but A New Company. I lucked into the most amazing seed for a northern start: ZSQIZIJXWX (needs DLC)

Axe bro: Dexterous, Tough
Polearm bro: Iron Lungs, Bloodthirsty
Ranged bro: Iron Jaw, Bright

Endless trade possibilities in the north with major cities regularly experiencing ambushed trade routes, lots of resources, workshops, furnaces and a smelter in the citadel to the north. Decent faction spread, ports in north and south. Civilian contracts fairly available starting out. Only thing missing is a circular trade route connected by roads

tentacles fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 26, 2020

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Edit is not quote!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

I am so bad at this game. like even on the easiest difficulty i get ROLLED and never really get off the ground. How do I git gud?

One thing I don't see in guides much is that you need to intensively micro manage your bros when it comes to pathfinding, both on the world map and in encounters

Don't trust the AI for even a second. On the world map, it'll happily choose the fastest way between two points by terrain even if it means running straight into that plethora of necrosavants you're desperately trying to avoid.

In battle, auto-retreating is an invitation to have random bros pick retarded routes which ends up with them getting clusterfucked by ancient legionnaires. More noticeable in broken terrain

It's why I eventually threw my hands up and installed the Pause When Hostile Party Sighted mod. Way too easy to lose a company to a moment of carelessness

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

I still don't understand why they got rid of the old retreat mechanic. Just that plus the ability to retreat without injuries during the first turn would be a good retreat mechanic. The current retreat mechanic is a trap most of the time.

Before my time! Though I've read about it. I don't mind the current retreat rules, just wish the pathfinding wasn't rear end

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

There was one time when one of my guys got completely trapped while retreating, just moving back and forth in the middle of a forest every turn forever even after everyone else had already escaped. But all the enemies had decided they couldn't catch him so they were all just holding still. After like turn 200 I had to just quit the game.

Stuff like this takes the magic out of Ironman runs for me. Another offender is alps, aka the joint mayors of Crashtown in the state of Frozengames, Hangistan

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Nordick posted:

Another new enemy reveal: Hyena packs!

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-141-the-hyena/

Faster than direwolves (:staredog:), can actually do poo poo vs. armor, inflict bleeding, but sounds like they aren't as balls-out aggressive as direwolves?

I wonder if they'll hyena-laugh if they kill a bro

Wow big-rear end report button next to quote. Is that new?

NewMars posted:

On a non-hyena related note, the supporter edition of the new DLC has a standard that is literally the sassanid persian royal banner.

Wow dude. That's pretty obscure, are you like a historian or something

tentacles fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 23, 2020

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

That seems like a really :yikes: concept in general, but at the single worst possible time in human history to run with it.

Username + post combination, noice, well done

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Mazz posted:

You guys know that a thrall is literally a slave too right?

ITT loudmouth virtue signalers trying to convince themselves they're moral paragons miss the fact that the thing they've been protesting has been ingame all this while due to their limited vocabulary

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

This is what the lore tells us about thralls:

imo there's a pretty significant difference between "born into a lower caste but with the expectation that success in battle leads to upward mobility and freedom" and "born as chattel slaves who are literally cannon fodder (the blog describing southern slaves in combat says southern armies like to use slaves to get zone-of-control on enemies and then bombard the entire battle with gunpowder weapons) with no hope of freedom and the expectation that they'll be enslaved until an early death". It may be bad that the game gives you no way to resolve a barbarian combat without killing thralls, but it's a lot worse that by all indications it will give you no way to resolve a southern combat without killing slaves.

ITT some forms of slavery are acceptable :(

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

No one is virtue signaling by being grossed out by that chud writers take on RPG codex you doofus

Sorry man! Mouthing off is a bad habit, I'll tone it down

I'm afraid to Google chud

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Yes, and it's bad. It's also a good sign of how the game is going to treat the southern slaves, because I have played this game for hundreds of hours and literally never once had a chance to resolve a combat against barbarian thralls without killing them, even when they are the only opponents on the field and therefore theoretically free to just leave and not be slaves anymore. If you want to, you can explain this through the game's lore by saying that the thralls are trying to win the battle to earn their freedom in the culture of the northern barbarians, as explained by their unit description. That is not the case with what we know of the southern slaves.

Technically you had the option to run away mate

Xtreme Roleplaying(tm)

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Dude could you tone it down just a teensy skooch

The dial's in the negatives, what do you want from me, a bake-off?!

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

You literally have a probation on your rap sheet from this exact thread with the given reason "please do not post like this"

Oh God you're right. I have become that I most despise... an internet flamer! Time to take a chill pill

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Oh hmm. Interesting implications for the crisis if AI can bring mortars to the holy sites if you're holding them. Fluid defense in favour of static holding positions? Sounds messy

Edit: Can't remember if battle map terrain changes are going through in the same DLC/patch but if so encounter flow will change quite a bit

tentacles fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 20, 2020

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

iirc it stands for cannibalistic humanoid underground dweller, basically it means racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic etc MAGA types

Thanks! I guess I'm thankful I haven't had the term come up often in my day-to-day

BoneMonkey posted:

Is there a name for this style of game? The mount and blade / starsector / battle brothers / etc? type game.

I proposed it as a roguelike in the relevant thread and was very roundly told it wasn't one! But in my heart it's still got roguelike DNA

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Strategy roguelike?

Strokelike :colbert:

I must be the only idiot who actually plays this on Ironman. Have to say it really needs some quality of life features to make Ironman viable (eliminating city save lag and reducing strategic map YASDs)

Probably why I can count the times I've made it to a crisis on two hands

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Hey no idea what's going on with the forums and whether or not they'll be here tomorrow. Just wanted to thank the modmins for taking care of the community and putting up with us pain in the rear end posters! SA has been a part of my life for longer than I remember and you guys do good work. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Drakenel posted:

i still like the bit about wanting to show a dude that you killed a giant spider so you shove the thing's carcass against his window, nearly giving him a heart attack

I like the one where an Alp tries to lure you into a field at night! At least I think it's an Alp, the modus operandi was distinctly Alp-ish. Made me appreciate them as encounters more though they're still a pain

But I'm a sucker for anything spooky. Bonus points for your character NOPE-ing the hell out when he realises what's going on