Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao I wait like a week to play this drat game and now it crashes whenever I attempt to save. No amount of verifying the cache or reinstalling the game works, and I don't even run Avast

I just wanna stab goblins.....

e: nevermind I guess it randomly decided it wants to let me save again, time to stab goblins

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

I'm hesitant to start over because I'm fairly sick of the "half dozen hobos in rags" phase of the game where everyone dies a lot and you have to micromanage how many bucklers you collect to sell.

this is my favorite phase of the game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the end-game lindwurm is TWO lindwurms

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hey did you guys hear there's going to be witches in this game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

with violence

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

handgonnes when. Preferably the ultra-low-tech tube on the end of a stick

wanna shoot a goblin (when it's not exploding in my own dude's face which also needs to happen)

seriously though seconding asking them if they have any ideas for future DLC or maybe even if they're working on any other projects

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hoggart should factor into every new game start.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

solo guy and get loving demolished over and over

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

and mod tools

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that better be Spartacus the Starz TV show and not Spartacus the Fast novel

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

did they say if Southern players would be able to get their hands on mortars? If so, whitey can can have all the crusaders they want, more nerds to explode from the other side of map.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mazz posted:

Think they said it won’t be in the blog they were first shown

that's disappointing. Maybe they'll change their mind and you could get one from a rare engineer retainer event or something lol. Ah well, may have to just join holy war battles to have them on my side then.

dogstile posted:

Honestly, i will be very surprised if they don't have "holy warrior" as a background at all. Seems fitting and you can make that generic enough that they'll fight for whatever side you choose to join.

this is how I'm assuming it'll work, you can get a beefed up knight or mamluk with super high morale and resolve, but they only start showing up during the holy wars.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BoneMonkey posted:

Is there a name for this style of game? The mount and blade / starsector / battle brothers / etc? type game.

You know, you have a mercenary band, travel through an over world and get into fights?

If not, would Mercband games work? I like this type of gameplay loop and would like to find more games like it.

battle for wesnoth clones

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I would like to see Davkul cultists play a role in the holy war.

I would like to align with the Davkul cultists in the holy war

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

halflings, and you can recruit them and they take up 0.5 spots each

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hope we get those mod tools someday, the last time there was any real discussion on it was wayyy back before the first DLC was announced when they weren't sure if they were going to move on or keep supporting the game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

I suspect they never release full mod tools because with them you'd probably have as many total conversions by now that you'd never want to buy dlc.

this has never in the history of games been demonstrable, even for much more popular games with in-depth modding tools (Mount and Blade even tapped a high-profile mod team to make one of their expansions (Viking Conquest) so they ended up benefiting from it even in that regard) so I don't know why Battle Brothers would suddenly be the exception.

I suspect they never went through with it because they just wanted to focus on other things. The only real time they've brought up their opinions on mod tools was when they were trying to wrap the game up shortly after its 1.0 release and thought about moving on to other projects.

They'd likely have to rework a lot of the game in order to get it to accept mods of any real substance, so the limitations are likely technical (or just "We don't want to", which is fair) and not financial.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's a slightly different scenario (but still only possible because of tools) but DayZ drove a ton of Arma 2 sales years after it released its last expansion back, and there's a not-insignificant number of HL2/CS:Source sales that can be attributed to the fact that Gary's Mod requires the assets from those games.

Not having mod tools may not hurt BB, they seem to be doing just fine without them, but adding tools isn't going to stop people from buying expansions lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh yeah brytenwalda is way better, VC was a poo poo-show on release (10,000 poly sausages lol) and even now that it's playable it's still really boring and weirdly paced.

As for committing to modding tools, I think it would be great for the long-term health of the game (and I personally want them real bad) but yeah it would basically halt all progress on content updates for a while because of how small the team is and how much of the game they'd have to rewrite and rebuild at this point.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Conflict Clan

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

struggle squad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

destruction dudes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

last couple were around like 10 bucks right? This one might be more expensive if only because it looks like it's adding more, depending on how big the desert area ends up actually being, but there's no reason to expect it'll go over 15 unless I'm wrong about the initial price lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Asking for proof is fine, and they immediately understood once they were given proof. Don't be lovely, dude

Weebus posted:

Oh thanks, I didn't bother looking at the screenshots earlier and yeah that looks really bad. Is the parrot thing supposed to be postcount? Does the guy really have almost 2 million posts on this rpgcodex place? :stare:

It can't be, that'd be like 500 posts a day, every single day, for 9 straight years. I think they have some kind of weird system where you can artificially inflate your post count; I've seen a few accounts with 1.8 mil+ posts. Sort of like how it used to be possible on SA to pay to set your regdate to 9/11 lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 5, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's fair, I just didn't read any urgency in the initial post, on my end. Just asking for more info lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one day when I was little I was playing Quest 64 on my nintendo 64 and I was trying to beat it in one sitting because I didn't have a memory pack and I was like 11 hours in and my brother threw a pamphlet or something like that at me, it missed me, and it tapped the cart in the console which caused the whole thing to lock up

anyway,

ErKeL posted:

autosavings + quicksaving is one of the greatest gifts to modern games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my plan of giving guys I need to replace nicknames to keep track of them isn't paying off

okay fine drat he can stay lmao

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pulled both of these off the same tiny goblin camp lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah poo poo dude I'm losing maybe 2 a fight early on, using them as meat shields to help improve the guys I like and to suicide run in and stab VIPs to take their armor. that 95-110 raider armor is worth way more than a bro in the first month or so lol

Genghis Cohen posted:

I am green with envy. There's no joy in this game quite like when you see a unique crop up in the loot screen when you weren't expecting it . . . nor any disappointment like seeing a unique you fought and bled for, which has rolled only increased durability over its mundane counterpart.

yeah it was nice seeing as they're both my first named items this run, and I meant it when I say tiny goblin camp. I think there may have been 7 enemies. Just gave all my dudes shields and 1h weapons and ran in at night smashing poo poo

Put 'em both on the same guy lol

I'm still learning how to build bros

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 14, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I think I'm playing it too safe, I don't think bertolf's come close to dying yet and I'm always throwing him into poo poo. Colossus is always the first talent I take on guys I actually want to keep (except for archers, unless they have kind of crap HP) and steel brow goes on guys without shields to helps when being domed by crossbows later on lol

I'm working on all my dude's stamina right now, his was naturally kind of low to begin with. I'll probably end up buying him recover next; my other 2h guy has it and much better stam. I took too long to invest in stamina for my frontline guys and they all tire out too quickly. The undead champion armor is also really not fantastic for stamina

e: lmao I hate this game sometimes. Yeah dude that's west of elkshorn I GUESS

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 14, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hell even discounting the health bonus, the chance to receive less injuries is super important later on when you need as many people at the top of their game as possible. The HP bonus is nice but that's the real reason to take colossus imo.

I pulled a named dagger out of one of the last fights in this crisis. But it's not just any dagger, it's...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Toozler posted:

There is a setting for this somewhere, at work but it looks like this

https://twitter.com/OverhypeStudios/status/857209449307668481/photo/1

oh hell, I wish I knew about this. So much inventory management time, wasted......

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I see the "hire a dude who could potentially be bunk and cart him around and deal with it/specialize them in something suited to them rather than find a guy to fill a whole you're specifically targeting" as an important part of the game, especially since the game gives you an out by being able to fire them right away. I don't care if someone else doesn't like that, of course, your game play how you want, but to me that's part of the game's intended difficulty and balance so I try to preserve it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh absolutely. I will get my money's worth out of this idiot lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah disarm doesn't actually make an enemy drop their weapon, right? It's basically just a debuff/status effect.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

In my experience named shields are a large chunk of what drops from random camps.

I have never gotten a named shield in my 101 hours of playtime lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

every weapon's gonna have bad DPS if you take too long on your turn

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's less that my banner gets kills and more than he helps bring enemies down into one-more-hit range for my mainline fighters

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Palcontent posted:

I started checking the unexplored map option so I can't obsessively reroll and I'm much happier this way.

this is the trick. Missing out on certain things because of unfavorable generation stings less when you've already got 10 hours into a run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Anno posted:

https://x.com/overhypestudios/status/1693596862970744984?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Edit: gently caress do these things no longer embed because it’s X now? gently caress you Elon.

https://twitter.com/overhypestudios/status/1693596862970744984?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

x.com works??? Just use twitter, it still works too. But yeah it'll break the embed if you use "x.com" since the code for the forums is probably specifically looking for "twitter.com"