Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I concluded today's session right before kicking off a hilarious battle with my company, thirteen noble-soldier grunts, nine brigands, and fourteen goddamn orc young. (On like day 40, where I could probably handle either hostile group with only moderate worries)

I am to no meaningful degree worried about it, but it's going to take a bit and involve a lot of me letting the troops eat the brunt of the assault.

While trying to do enough damage to stragglers that I get the loot. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FreeKillB posted:

I got an early 2-skull mission with some ancient auxiliaries and two necrosavants. It was bad in the sense that two of my guys died but good in the sense that I got two khopesh drops. It's pretty baller for a 1-handed sword, I think it's better than the noble sword much of the time due to its superior damage versus armor and its bleed damage.

Yeah, once I have a 12-man roster I actively hunt small necrosavant bands to the ends of the earth now (after some unfortunate caravan incidents resulted in sad employers, casualties, and khopesh loot).

Sorry, Farmhand Number Four, an early khopesh is well worth your life. Bonus: I probably recover most of your equipment to give to Farmhand Number Six.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 25, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Battleforged? Haven't taken it yet and probably wouldn't consciously notice the benefit if I did.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I think one of the devs said recently [the difficulty of the things you find in the world is] just time-based.

I have a distinct suspicion that it also has something to do with whether you leave enemy camps unmolested. The part of the world I've been hanging out in in my no-crises game (look, I don't want to have to deal with loving orcs burning half the loving known world by day 250) is largely pretty tame for like day 70, while the far northwest is a hellscape of goblins and the northeast has a suspiciously higher rate of large brigand gangs.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 26, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ZoninSilver posted:

I fought a rival mercenary band with a Hedge Knight leading them, who proceeded to one shot one of my brothers before I took him down. It turns out that he was wielding a legendary 2 handed Axe, with a minimum damage one below the MAXIMUM of a regular greataxe :stare:

COME AT ME IF YOU THINK YOU'RE 'ARD ENOUGH!

Edit: give it to someone with the "all applicable kills are decapitations" trait and blot out the sun with flying heads.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 27, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sloober posted:

I have an axe guy that just smashes shields up, w/ fighting axe and axe mastery anything but top tier go down in one hit. He's got very few real kills but is on a mission to smash a thousand shields in his career.

I hope you're keeping a tally.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Another lesson learned in blood: Swamp fights suck. They suck double-extra hard when you're the side who needs to advance on the enemy, because they have a necromancer or more bows. :negative:

Swamp fights without / before pathfinder are unspeakable hellscapes.

On the other hand, they're real loving funny when you do the right thing and put pathfinder on Literally Everyone and are up against orcs or brigands. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I have still never seen a unique weapon or armour of any type actually worth having, I did find a nice medium armour early in a playthrough months ago but that's it.

I'm slightly tempted to start a no crisis game so I can just grind through enemy camps looking for loot

I'm doing a no crisis game for the 365 day achievement. :geno:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Counterpoint: Being ambushed in a forest.

loving move. Move goddamn you! You are literally getting my men and your loving donkey killed because you will not move so that I can shift men to that loving flank! Your loving podunk hick rear end is blocking the only way to get around to that end of the fight that's not running for like 4 loving turns you useless shitfuck! :argh:

I had a caravan attack by goddamn vampires that was only saved by having only three caravan guards :v:

Edit: also, this is a scenario where the swap skill is better than footwork because you can swap with friendlies

...and now I need to see if you can swap with donkeys

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

My problem probably is armor, yes. I like to run medium on most of the crew to have the initiative and not run into fatigue issues. Most of my guys are in mail shirts. My best are in reinforced hauberks, but I still need the guys in mail shirts to swing the axes, and if they whiff, then they are exposed to two or three pikes (depending on the line up), which do, what, 125% damage to armor? So an ancient legionnaire's pike can do something like 100+ damage to a mail shirt, basically destroying it in one stroke.

It hadn't occurred to me to try splitting the team and drawing them into a hammer/anvil move, though. If they like to stick together, then opening the middle and going around the flanks to take out the pikemen would probably be a good idea. I don't have much experience fighting the new undead. They go down in almost one hit if you can land with a two-hander, but you need to land, and luck was not with me during my first encounter.

Oh yeah, my standard anti-skeleton strategy is to send a few assholes around the flank and pick off the pikemen while the rest of the front line hopefully holds out. They'll cheerily march into melee and as long as the shieldbros at the point of impact can survive long enough, a couple flankers can get the job done.

Night10194 posted:

I have a Cultist bannerman who, with Iron Will, has like 110 Resolve at level 6.

Dirk is a crazy motherfucker but he's perfect sergeantin' material.

Cthulhu loves you and wants you to be happy. :3: :hf: :cthulhu:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 29, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys give Fatigue to your frontline guys every single level up? These heavy armours are tremendously costly in terms of Fatigue, my mercs can barely swing a flail.

Just about!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dog Kisser posted:

this game is great

Those motherfuckers asked me to pay them FIFTEEN HUNDRED DUCATS.

I told them they could shove their sword-swallowing up their asses.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Why are lumberjacks so expensive? They don't seem that good

They come with middling gear, mostly.

They're not THAT cost ineffective, but I haven't seen any super cool events so unless you're hurting for men may as well prefer brawlers, farmers, and maybe butchers and masons as mooks.

(Plus the Cripple Churn just in case :v:)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Abuse retreat for three solid months until you pick off the goddamned mages? :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

There are no 'bosses' for any of the crises.

Yeah, the "bosses" are fixed locations and don't figure in the crisis except insofar as they probably poo poo out spawns. Black monolith, goblin capital, and there's probably still an orc fortress.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is what I have so far for Backgrounds, though it's still a rough draft:

----------

[h1]Backgrounds[/h1]

Every Bro has a background. All backgrounds set a min/max range for the character's stats. These stat ranges matter, because there's a huge difference between adding 20 points to a juggler's starting melee skill of 45, and adding 20 points to a Hedge Knight's starting melee skill of 65.
You can find an (approximate) breakdown of the stat ranges here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wca36Ml7Zs2BHxxV9U_SaIytNBmdHfuRrm9vGD2MV5Q/edit#gid=0

This is A Very Good Start. :stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure difficulty scaling is at least partly based on how successful enemy spawn points are. So, indirectly related to the day, insofar as you (and the other merc companies) can only be in one place at a time and everywhere else will slowly escalate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I can tell difficulty is based on renown and calendar date more than on your bro's levels. I could be wrong, but that's another part of the calculation on taking Student on everyone -- get ahead of the curve and make sure you have some level 11 guys by the time the crisis hits. Either way though that's probably the most controversial advice I have in there so I tried to make clear it's optional.

One of the devs has stated fairly categorically that renown doesn't impact difficulty as such, it just gives you access to tougher contracts. The same enemies (more or less) will still be waddling around, you just have the option to take a swing at tougher ones / the occasional tougher mission spawn depending on how mission enemies work.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

One neat trick I just realized: if you have the rotation perk, you can put down a doggy and rotate with it in the same turn. It's like footwork, but you block people from following you at the same time.

One of the best invisible strategies in the game is Always Buy Armored Doggies.

250g is well worthwhile even given that they are expended upon death.

Would I rather have one reinforced mail hauberk, or ten doggies? I think I might go with the doggies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Poachers are another background at risk of noble companies taking an interest though, I think.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Well yes. At one point it only lost a few stacks at a time between turns and you could keep it quite high if you kept hitting multiple people, but now it drops off entirely when you get your next turn and you have to hit more people to get it back. Best you can do, I think, is successfully hit six dudes in a turn with round swing. Make sure to take underdog before you try that!

Technically you could round swing, kill exactly one, berserk, round swing again for 11 stacks :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

I do, because 250 ammo is the max you can carry at a time and i burn through that really quickly if i use lots of throwing weapons.

...Huh. This appears to be difficulty-dependent. Did not realize that. Same for tools and medicine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

You still get the goal even if the two groups you led together mostly kill each other, I believe. Has anyone ever tried to kite a ~20 man noble army out to the Black Monolith?

I don't think mobile units generally engage stationary encounters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

This game has the most interesting and smart AI I've seen for a long time

Ancient legos possibly excepted once you figure out how to make them break formation. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

4 ghiests, 15 zombies and 0 necromancers is STILL an issue for me because the ghiests are loaded up with meatshields.

Falling back a couple of turns at the start of combat makes the geists hit your line approximately a century before the zombies arrive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty sure Double Grip just means you have a 1h weapon equipped with no shield. Which can be useful in very... specific circumstances.

Iron lung is The Best, bloodthirsty is handy against zombies so better than nothing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm curious about this as well, specifically # of bros by a certain day.

I'm going to go slightly against the apparent grain here and advocate filling out the roster ASAP with a bunch of random morons. Warm bodies with spears and shields go a long way towards improving your combat outcomes, and you can fire them later if they survive for either a modest cashout or a modest temporary morale hit.

Edit: but the best random morons you can find.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 19, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

I find nets are useful for necrosavants and high level dudes who i want to eliminate safely. Hoggart usually gets netted early as ill usually buy a fisher brother before fighting him. Later on its bandit leaders/gobbo overseers/orc warbosses that get netted

I just had a really brutal necrosavant fight that I forgot to break out the nets for. :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tias posted:

Remember to wait until you're ready to take on legionnaire blocks. Ideally you'll want several of both twohander swordsmen and mace masters.

E: and keep some dudes back to flank their formation. They're slow and easy to kite into the centre of your line.

you can also just start the fight by withdrawing into two separate clumps, the dumb skeletons will break formation and not resume it even if you put your own shield line back together

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Does anyone find that taking Crippling Strike and Executioner on most of your bros is worth it? Two perks for every bro is a big investment, but it seems like it would really give an advantage in extended fights especially.

Completely goddamn useless against undead, though. (Also, the most powerful negative status effect is "dead". :v: )

If you're not optimizing for the Black Monolith - or, to a much lesser degree, the Undead Crisis - go nuts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

Know my pain, goons :smith:

rip Ghostman: he was a warm body hired to fill out the line

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I just cannot find unique weapons for the life of me, no matter how much I kill random strongholds in the wilderness and listen to tavern rumors. And when I do find one, it's always another shield, or a +durability greathammer.

I have tens of thousands of crowns after winning the Noble War and can't find any for sale, either.

In the game I'm trudging through to knock out Triple Crisis (but not going for the Big One because I think it'll be less obnoxious after the expansion), there are six orc warlord camps on the map I can't quite handle yet. :mad:

Presumably they're taking up stronghold slots and I'm furious. Lost three of my top bros the last time I tried one.

Roobanguy posted:

^^^ XCOM EW and XCOM2 would give you hidden aim boosts on lower difficulties if you missed multiple shots.

it would be cool if instead of having split, the longsword had riposte. but that's mostly because i want a parry sword that benefits with reach advantage. :getin:

then an enemy swordmaster spawns with it and your entire company loving dies

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nordick posted:

Maybe Davkul will save us from these motherfucking giant spiders

https://twitter.com/OverhypeStudios/status/1035497219334524930

They look like a pretty neat earlygame enemy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Those look cool but "webknecht" is such a dorky name.

I had this one once before in a previous run where I had a huge resolve cultist sergeant. In the same game he also brought a human sacrifice back to life and the guy joined my company (and then died like two fights later because his stats sucked).

It means "web minion", more or less.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Gotta love the random legendary item name generator at times

Well, it's accurate.

also why is the expansion not out already aaaaaaaaa

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 26, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

They, thieves, and killers have an event problem as well - you can get a noble company after them, and if you don't just let them kill you have to fight them. It's really lovely if you get them too early to hang against a handful of nobles.

For some reason I think Raiders had a horrible bullshit event and held off hiring them. Am I wrong?

Pornographic Memory posted:

I also got that event for a raider

aha

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Affi posted:

Why haven’t goblins taken over the world yet? Or have they? Maybe they are just content to go out and hunt dumb humans before heading back home to their world spanning empire.

gently caress me they are predators.

and then around day 200 the local goblin province gets an alert about a Human Mercenary Crisis

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Thanks, guess I'm getting a greatsword up and running as soon as possible for my next run, makes clearing out Wiedergangers much easier early on.

Also discovered that Necros can't raise undead if you sit on them, so if you're continuously moving forwards, you can hamper his army a bit.

This is incorrect, they'll push your dudes off if they get raised.

Destroying or severing the head permakills normal zombies, though. Just not Fallen Heroes. (but that "steal their weapon" trick I might use)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

And now I'm imagining him inspiring the men by screaming words in some incomprehensible elder god language.

in one of the two LPs, Slaan is quite fittitngly the Cultist Sergeant and does this

And/or goes full Sithrak, "fight your hardest because Davkul the Devourer will torture you endlessly after death"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

I always mass hire the dudes who only cost 35.

At that point you're stacking the odds of finding a fairly good dude.

Even unto the endgame, I'll hire every brawler and militiaman I see because they're cheap (especially the brawlers) and have a chance to be exceptional.

also I abide by the "only one hedge knight at a time" rule because of that event

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 10, 2018