Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Game is good but I'm not very good at it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Just whittled down a schrat over 3-4 turns with 8 people hoping he missed a bunch, time to put some axes in my inventories.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
One neat thing about spear mastery is it applies to Warforks and Spetums too, so you can have an early spearwall guy who also can do backline attacks pretty well by swapping. I usually have one or 2 spear guys on that note. Spear mastery also keeps spear wall active even if one guy breaks through. AFAIK Spetums have spearwall as their own ability too.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 13, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So for guys like minstrels and such, do you just leave them in camp or what? I don’t really have a good grasp on all the starting classes stuff.

Also is student the best first trait? It seems like it.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Thanks to everyone for the weapon explanations, very helpful.

Don't want to keep asking bone questions, but is there any firm knowledge of how asking for more money/money up front affects contracts? Should I always ask for more cash?

From my limited early game experience, you can ask once and they’ll either do it or won’t. If they don’t, asking again will kill the contract. I always ask once.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 14, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Man as soon as I turn the difficulty up to veteran I just start getting murdered left and right.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Veteran/veteran is still pretty much kicking my rear end, I can't really get into a place where my guys are solid or my income is reliable. Any tips? Or should I just drop back to beginner/beginner and enjoy the game more?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

dogstile posted:

What's kicking your rear end, exactly?

I don't really have the money to buy up the armor tree and the missions are either piss all on money or out of my capability range. I'm slowly grinding my way up but man it feels very 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Veteran feels like you need to really hunt a good seed for trade and such, that might be part of my problem.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

dogstile posted:

I find most of that can be solved with getting decent with stealing armour from people. I sometimes struggle up until I get one good flailbro, who pretty much funds me through all the armour he gains me. I don't dagger party that often because its effort but flails are fairly "lol ok you die mr bandana dude".

I was going all Spears/shields since it seemed safest but I’ll give that a shot. The game really likes throwing me curveballs like the only contracts are 3 day caravans or groups of 10 Nachs where 2 of them have already feasted.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

dogstile posted:

Fun story, i'd avoided hexen because they sounded like unfun bullshit. I actually decided to fight one tonight and remembered the advice of "just unequip your weapons, then your men won't kill eachother".

They brought along a loving unhold.

:lol: had that happen yesterday

also veteran has gotten a lot better, just had to get over that early game hump. Started picking up mail piece by piece and it snowballed okay. I'm probably speaking too soon but I'm definitely in a lot better shape than a couple hours ago.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Wow necrosavants are some real assholes

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I had a battle vs 3 and like 25 skeletons, I didn’t know they just pop up and murder your back line till after they did it. I got out of there with my better 6 guys alive but it was late last night so I’ll try that again later today.

are you ever allowed more than 12 guys in combat in a natural start? I feel like that would be a cool late game unlock thing, like a noble commission or something. I know the militia get 16.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 16, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Davos posted:

Anyone have tips on nachzehrer early on? I keep getting one skull missions to clear out groups yet they absolutely annihilate me. Even if I can get a few down without losses they just start powering up and then I get brothers eaten by the big guys without the chance for a save roll

Spearwalls, stand on the corpses when you can, and they have bad morale so don’t kill every one if you have them routed, just focus to rout each one you can. You can generally rout with 2 good strikes and a kill will morale shock a bunch.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It would be neat if training centers let you reset perks for gold. It should be expensive but it’d be pretty nice to have when you realize you probably should’ve built someone a little different but they’ve been a champ for 60+ days.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

:wtc:

There are FOUR hexen, this might be doable if they didn't turn 4 dudes in the first turn

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Do you guys recruit any of the nobles? They all feel prohibitively expensive.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Nah I mean like throwing 4500g at a recruit always seems so steep to me.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Playing lone wolf, this event pops that gives me a free squire. I'll take you on little one.

Next battle, he gets stabbed in the face by the first dude he sees. Dead.

Literally laughed out loud

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
oh god fighting 3 schrats at the same time is stressful as gently caress

this lone wolf game is going great though, I've gotten some crazy good recruits. Nobody is 11 yet and my lowest melee attack is 64 at level 5. everyone is like 75-85, and my hunter was 57 with 3 stars, currently at 85.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I walked into the icy cave, I was not prepared for that.

Broken Cog posted:

Just assume that all zombies that aren't decapitated will come back once. It's a chance, but it's pretty high.

What do you guys do to get better armor before the crisis? 120-130 is high end for normal raiders, and there aren't enough bandit leaders around to outfit your entire company in better from drops alone. Buying is always an option I suppose, but unless you have an insanely profitable trading seed, it's hard to make enough money to buy many 200+ armors before the crisis hits.

Edit: I know raiding supply caravans can be lucrative, which is why the barbarian start is probably one of the easiest once you know the game, but for that you have to make enemies of at least one of the houses.

Honestly the best way to make money I’ve found is just hunt raiders/barbarians and sell everything at a large city while doing missions for it. Once you get into decent mail and have some heavy hitters you can clear out like 10+ thralls/raiders without losses, and you do that 2-3 times and it’s like 2k+. I found a place where they seem to spawn in groups pretty regularly and the occasional easier raid was my main source of income. I got a couple lucky 200+ pieces from fights but I bought everyone else into 150+ chest/helm by day 90 along with some sellswords/soldiers. No luck on a decent hedge knight yet.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 20, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I do, but I don't like to go below 70-80 fatigue if it's avoidable, and a 415 durability armor is such overkill at this stage of the game that it's almost not worth the sixteen extra fatigue point penalty over just a basic reinforced mail hauberk.

For this run though I am emphasizing resolve a little more and taking Recover on everyone to make up the difference. With all the Beasts monsters that attack resolve it's more of a priority than it was before, and I like to get it up to 50+ rather than coasting at ~40ish like I did before.

Yeah I pushed everyone up to 60+ in my game since most of the real annoying stuff is morale checks. My lone wolf guy is just straight immune to hexen at this point.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I was gonna play around with some nimble builds today, the one thing about lone wolf that sucks is you have no room to try guys out without cutting someone. I’ve actually had everyone survive to day 90 and they are all good to great stats, so I feel terrible removing anyone :(

Also I’m addicted to this game now and work is going to drag rear end a lot this week

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Cleaver mastery includes whips so is pretty worth it on one guy at least because with quick hands you can swap whip and cleaver as needed. Also no penalty for disarm.

Also I have a serious love for polearm now because with billhooks you can kill one guy, berserk, move a space and kill another, or hit then move 2 spaces. That 1AP reduction is really, really nice and billhooks are excellent.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 20, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
nm misread

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

kidkissinger posted:

fast adaption seems like it would be worth it for pretty much everyone.

my entire back line is fast hands polearm/crossbow guys. Any tips on how I should be building them? They all have polearm and crossbow mastery.

I don’t think you’ll ever be able to do both of those things into the late game, the stat needs are too different. Ending up with like 70 in both categories at 11 is just going to leave you in a weird place IMO, especially as you’ve spent so little on resolve, defense, fatigue. 2 of each specialized will do more than 4 generalists from my experience. Less misses, less RNG.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 20, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

kidkissinger posted:

I'm doing a militia start and having good ranged guys just seemed impossible. What stats should Polearm guys be stacking outside of Melee Attack? For my fast hands builds i've just been putting all points into Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, and Stamina more or less.

For militia I can kind of see this, so if it’s working for you you can stick with it. As for stats I focus on the melee or ranged stat that guy needs but otherwise I spread it around as the rolls decide. If I got a 2 in fatigue or a 5 in HP/resolve, I’ll take that five.

One thing about HP that’s really good is it raises the threshold for receiving injuries. I find I take colossus on most guys now just for that. It’s not a huge difference but injuries are murder in a lone wolf game. HP is also valuable against barbarians and those loving axehammers.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 20, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah, true, but frankly you have to dismiss half of them for being garbage anyway so I never mind it much. Some of them start at like 25 resolve, they rout in heavy wind.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

FileNotFound posted:

Militia start is brutal and doesn't get easier at all as the hiring pool is so incredibly restrictive that it also cuts out a lot of the events.

It really needs more to make it viable as an easy start. Currently it's more of a newbie trap who think that a few more peasants will help against much better equipped bandits - when really the extra peasants are just more mouths to feed with poor stats.

This is also true. I found Lone Wolf ultimately easier once you find 2 or so decent helpers, mostly because the Lone Wolf has no upkeep and can handle a raider or 2 easy. It’s much easier to grab some early mail for those dudes and snowball so long as you don’t get hosed with one of those first handful of encounters. Militia never really gets easier till you have like all 16 guys doing their thing, and even that is debatable because you’re gonna run into groups of like 11 chosen eventually.

EDIT: FWIW for everyone struggling with lone wolf, grab a good recruit with like 50+ MAtk, give him a spear, shield and padded leather if you can afford it. That’s like 500-750g depending on luck, and hit dude will hold his own okay, buying your big guy a lot of breathing room. Do that a couple more times and it’ll snowball quick.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 21, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

FileNotFound posted:

Only way I got milita working was by having 5 archers. That worked really well early and mid game just because arrow spam is really strong. Even with a 30% chance to hit, 10 shots will kill a dude and your archers can be basically naked + 1 bow.

Thing is, a single necrosavant will kill them all, as will large enough packs of goblins or wolves.

I gave up on my militia playthrough as basically I never really felt strong. Whole game felt like babysitting a group of weak characters, nobody really managed to develop into a rockstar and I never felt invested in my bros.

I love LW start though, you start with a strong dude, strong dude is 'you', he's the bro that carries the rest of the team. Only downside with LW was that the nobles war was a huge pita with the frequency of fights meaning that I had to keep fielding injured and half dead bros over and over - at the same time just having to worry about equipping 12 and having a static fighting force made it easier for me to have a defined process for dealing with pretty much every encounter. I never had to rethink my strategy because I had to switch up who was in reserve.

Wholeheartedly agree. I’m systemically replacing my weaker dudes with knights/sellswords/hunters but having that set core means you have to build to quality and there’s no juggling gear/plans/etc. I greatly prefer that in the end.

EDIT: One thing I’ve decided though is that if guys make it to 12+ I’m giving them another perk in BBEdit. The XP curve is exponential so like 12-13 is the same as 1-9 or something, and frankly if a guy can get to 13 he deserves it. My Lone Wolf guy has something like 250 kills to his name and is about to just hit 13. I’m cool with the stats essentially ending at 11 though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 21, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

FileNotFound posted:

If you're so inclined, it's possible to edit the game configs to keep giving perks past 11 or to give them every few levels.

I considered that but I’m using the show stars on tryout mod and figured it’s just easier to do it in BBEdit for now since I think it’s the same script. I don’t expect to have more than 3-5 guys who ever see anything past 11 anyway.

Also that mod is incredible and everyone should get it. It’s a little OP early on but knowing a 8000g Knight has no good categories is very nice. That mediocre knight could easily end up worse than a good peasant who costs you 5% of the upfront and upkeep. The stats are still hidden too which keeps the crapshoot alive in some form.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 21, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I can’t do the hunting grounds event, get an infinite loading screen :(

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Getting to the point that the 230 chosen armor dropping is a downgrade from everything you have on is weird, like I should start a new game, but I haven't done all the really hard camps or anything so I'm keeping this going. Also it turns out I have 11 guys at 12-13 now, so maybe I should mod that file soon.

Also check out this hunter, he turned out pretty okay.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Southpaugh posted:

Is it unreasonable to expect my random hodge podge of farmers, cutthroats and ne'er-do-wells to live beyond the first crisis? Do you pretty much have to professionalise your force? Or is that just the expectation once you have the money to hire sellswords and nobles? My guys are great and I love their stupid little mustached faces but a mercenaries life is starting to take a toll on the lads. I have probably three guys with over 70 MA and two with over 70 Ranged attack, everyone else is hovering between late 50s and late 60's in their offensive skills and it seems like they just aren't cutting it anymore.

Farmers and such can last forever but yeah they need to have like 2-3 stars and be up into the high 70s at least. That or like 50+ melee defense with a shield on. Once you get up to fighting real enemies in camps or events those low guys do kind of become a liability because they’ll be a speed bump to a handful of chosen or whatever. What I did was just stick with them till they died, then just took my time getting replacements. A party of 10 or 11 isn’t functionally different than 12 outside of those crazy 30 orc camps, so there’s no pressure to max it out.

I highly, highly recommend the show stars on tryout mod for late game play in that regard. Especially in a lone wolf game.

Good peasants can be better than most noble class dudes though with the right stats, so don't think you need to replace everyone. Here's one of my 200+ day guys. I got real lucky with getting him and a couple others in the first ~10 days though.

EDIT: He’s also a lesson in not neglecting fatigue, this was really the first game I’ve taken this long and heavy armor really ate into his too late for me to fix. Thankfully the noble sword still makes him a murder machine

AG3 posted:

If that's the one about the Ijirok and the moose, then I have the same problem.

Yep, there’s a bug report on the steam forums part too so hopefully they know already. If not I’ll make a report myself sometime soon. They seem very on the ball with patches which is cool.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

I'm trying to remember / find a post from a long time ago that went into detail comparing endgame armors with enhancements and battleforged. I think it talked about reaching a threshold at around 300 durability via either sellsword's armor + lindwurm cloak, or (something else?)

What is the current consensus on best overall endgame armor? Coat of Scales for your two-handers, sellsword's or normal scale for the rest?

Regular scales is definitely where I ended up for my line guys, it has low fatigue for 240.

Also are you saying 300 is where you choose battleforged over nimble or something else?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

No no for some reason that was the threshold the guy in the post I remembered was aiming for. I can't remember why he picked that # though -- basically that's what I'm trying to figure out also, why 300 armor. Maybe something to do with Man With Crossbow danger?

Interesting, nothing comes to mind for me either. If you find it let us know

Was it in this thread? Maybe I can take a look if I have time

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Another build question:

I've noticed that the pole hammers can be really useful, as can warhammers. Anyone tried taking a standard warhammer two-hander bro and switching weapons between the polehammer and warhammer as appropriate?

I ask because my old backline flank setup was usually a greatsword on either flank in front, with a warhammer directly behind for the big knockaway sweep. It seems like switching those back guys to polehammers could make great can openers, then if needed in melee they could switch to two-handed warhammers. Thoughts?

I’ve been doing that but with axes, switching between the longaxe and greataxe. I don’t have a hammer guy yet but I could see the value for sure.

Ive found the long axe wins the majority of time though because the range + berserk + frenzy makes him a monster in the middle rounds of a fight. Same with billhooks. The hammer might be more of a tossup because of the AoE though, I don’t like the axe spin because there’s always like 3 friendlies in range for me.

Osci posted:

A person made a combat calculator roughly a month ago which can simulate hits to kill with different setups. The 300 armor threshold seems to be roughly in line with my tests on that.

A nimble brother with 115 hp and 105/95 armor has comparable survivability as a 70 hp 250/260 battleforged brother.
The big difference is one of consistency. The nimble brother will always be able to take 3-5 rounds of hits regardless of the weapon (notable exception is cleavers). The BF brother have a handful of weapons that straight up murder him, while other just bounce of him.

That is very neat, thanks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

kidkissinger posted:

nimble bro is also vulnerable to ranged right?

Not particularly, in fact better against crossbows because of the armor ignore AFAIK. Nimble makes you only take a percentage of incoming HP damage at the expense of having armor over that HP. This works because it reduces that HP damage accordingly, it doesn’t matter what’s shooting/attacking in that regard (to an extent, high Hp damage weapons are still more dangerous). All my of archers are nimble with 150/90 on, they can survive 3-4 ranged hits from experience now, barring some real bad luck. I lose 10% of the nimble reduction with that much armor but I find that 150 black mail coat to work well and look good, which is equally important

The key to a nimble build though is you can’t neglect HP if they are going to take hits regularly. Note that Osci said the nimble guy had 115 HP, that is a decidedly not a standard amount. You need to spend on a nimble guy to pay off, but it does work well in the end. Especially considering nimble means far less fatigue and init penalties from that light armor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
That dude would own against chosen too

Give him to me

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I just lost a outer town in my game to the undead event, went over to take a look.... 43 anicent legion, honor guard, fallen heroes with a necro thrown in.

Nah, it's cool, that town sucked anyway.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I went back and tried that undead city out of curiosity:

I was able to get them down to like 15-20 but in 3 tries that was around the best. They would slowly break up my formations because I couldn't stop the flanking with that many. The necromancer can revive the anicent troops too, which was really the worst part. Those spears just slowly whittled my guys down, any time I got an opening a weider would jump in and slow me back down. Then all the fallen heroes came in while the necro possessed them, didn't go well.

I'm curious if turtling in the corner might make a difference but honestly the battle is so god drat long I'm not sure I want to bother again.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

So what's the new strategy for the new alps?

You have to scatter fast to spread out the black poo poo and hope you can get some of them before they stack all that poo poo on top of you. If you can it will often only be like 1-2 targets per circle and you can berserk them down and keep moving. If there is more than like 8-9 you’re just hosed really because you’ll get swamped and that stupid yell gets half of your guys. EDIT: Also try to have dogs on everyone, it will help immensely. That's actually just good advice all the time I find, when you need dogs you need all the dogs you can get.

Or yeah just run away.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 24, 2019