Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hints for new players:

You can attack neutrals when not on a mission. It's ctrl-click or alt-click, I forget which off hand. Kill some merchants, have some fun! Make sure not to poo poo where you eat though, keep the banditry and murder to places you don't rely on for missions.

Stat upgrades! The normal amount gained for a states is 1 to 3, plus the bonus for that stat. (some stats, like fatigue, get a bigger bonus than others.) Each of the first 2 stars increase the minimum by 1, so a 2 star skill means they'll be getting a +3 every levelup guaranteed. The third star is special though - it actually increases the maximum by one, meaning you'll get roll a 3 or 4 for that character every levelup (plus the stat bonus).

Headshots: Headshots do 50% additional damage vs health, and cause special injuries.

Fatigue increases as you fight. It is bad. Managing it is important. It lowers your initiative, prevents you from doing stuff. It goes down at a rate of 15 per turn, normally. The only way to improve that is the Iron Lungs trait, which is incredible.

Every weapon has something, usually two things, that make them worth using, except for swords, which are not worth using despite having two things.

Weapons Guide
Spear: +20 bonus to accuracy for their basic attack make this an important weapon for low skilled troops. Even high skilled troops can put them to good use, though, by using the Spearwall skill - this doesn't get the bonus accuracy, but autoattacks anyone who moves into range and, if they are hit, pushes them back. Low damage, though, and an enemy successfully moving next to you will suppress the Spearwall ability unless you have the mastery perk. Does less damage vs. skeletons.

Axe: Axes break shields. That's pretty much it, but that can be very good, especially on longaxes since you can break shields from a space away. Do pretty good damage too and has a chance of beheading enemies, as well as doing additional damage when the head is hit. They have an increased fatigue cost per swing, however!

Clubs and Maces: Maces not only cause health damage, they cause fatigue damage to the opponent. They do this even on a miss! A few of your guys swinging maces can easily lock down an opponent - assuming you have the fatigue to do so yourself, because swinging them aint cheap.

Swords: Like spears, swords get a bonus to hit, although it's only +10 instead of +20. Like spears, they also have a low fatigue cost of 10, rather than the 13 of heavier weapons. They also do more damage, and instead of spearwall you get "riposte" - a special ability that counterattacks whenever an enemy misses you. It's not really that great! Unfortunately they are also worse against armor than spears, so the damage bonus doesn't mean much, and while they are lighter to carry it's only by 2 points. When you put it all together, they are actually kind of terrible.

Flails: Flails have several good things about them. They ignore the defense bonus of shields with a normal attack. They have an ability that gives a guaranteed headshot. Their normal attack gives a bonus chance to hit regardless, and with their perk then you can completely ignore shields with their special headhunter attack, which can be awesome. They are the most fatigue heavy one handed weapons to carry and swing, however.

Daggers: Daggers are pretty nice. Low damage, but low fatigue cost. They have a special that let's you ignore armor COMPLETELY, but it has a reduced chance to hit and can't crit. If you kill an enemy without damaging their armor you get to keep their armor, so $$$. The cost nothing in fatigue as a backup weapon, and the Master lets you attack more often - 3 times with just the dagger, or as an addon to another weapons attack after moving (assuming you have quick hands).

Other weapons also exist but I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Phrosphor posted:

When you break someones shield, they will switch to wielding their primary weapon in both hands, giving bonuses to that weapons attack. DO NOT BREAK AN ORCS SHIELD!
Actually the bigger problem for warriors than the damage boost is the fact that they will stop shieldwalling and attack twice. Ouch! They might do that anyway though.

It's also fine if you can kill the orc that turn or have someone capable of eating their counterattacks.

So breaking the shields of normal orcs is fine, and breaking the shields of Orc Warriors in preparation for a good dagger shank is fine IF you have them surrounded and taunted

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

These guys aint afraid of no ghosts.

(Not mine, but doesn't that look fun?)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So doing my "archer heavy" game, would like some opinions

I'm hoping to ultimately be running 8 archers and 4 shield-bros in a full team.

The shield bros are dedicated to melee accuracy and spear-work and surviving. I count on the archers to deal most of my damage.

Archer build:
Equipment:
Best bow possible, and pocks full of extra arrows. Light armor.
Perks:
Pathfinder, Nine Lives, Gifted
Bow Mastery, Overwhelm, Adrenaline
Berserk, Fearsome, Bullseye
Killing Frenzy or Lone Wolf

Seem good? Nine Lives is the only defense perk I'll be taking, after that the main goal is to beeline for overwhelm and keep pumping up initiative and focus on a good offense being the best defense. 8 archers worth of concentrated overwhelm fire should provide all the ranged defense I need, I figure!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

Cool game. What do the difficulties do?

Start with less money, get less money, contracts get harder faster... I believe.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

FreeKillB posted:

I assume you aren't playing a game where Undead Apocalypse is a possibility, lol.

If I get that one, I'm hoping by the time the crisis itself hits I can get a bunch of stacks of throwing axes, which still give the possibility of overwhelming multiple dudes but does full damage to skeletons. Should let me overwhelm and kill the pikemen while my frontlines do their best to survive the legionnaires.

Also war scythes are amazing for staggered spearwall/long weapon frontlines. Just murderize everyone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Interested to see how this pans out

Going pretty well so far. Archers are hard to come by, so I ended up having to reroll maps twice until I got a forest town - it's the only reliable source for them and the first two maps had basically no woods at all. Really wish there were some tundra/plains hunters.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Student is ok later when your picking up replacement dudes. early on just skip it.

I would get your weapon masteries much earlier.

Recover that early isnt worth it. Get it post weapon mastery, since weapon mastery is a much bigger boost to fatigue recovery.

Also Bow Mastery is amazing and super important to effective countersniping and the fatigue boost is important.

Also consider adding gifted asap for any brother that is below par for base stats. A flat +3 to both hit chance and defense is actually pretty good. I actually put it on all my brothers, and it is good no matter what role they end up playing on the line.

Edit:
My archer heavy run was going incredible well. The build just works, even against undead - the throwing axes are actually quite useful!

However, I have discovered a major flaw:
Necrosavants. My team of lv4-5 dudes got ambushed at night while camping outside a place I was gonna assault waiting for dawn by 5 necrosavants.

It was a bloodbath. People started running, and once that happened I was dead.

In addition to everything else that makes them a pain, Necrosavants apparently have ungodly high ranged defense.

Next time around, I'm just gonna run.

Edit 2:
Also banditry is fun I fully recommend it.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 26, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

It's hard to quantify how much Battleforged does (could use some details in the combat log for that) but I do think I've noticed it making my guys a lot more durable in heavy armour.

I've noticed it. It seems pretty significant once you start getting past 400 combined armor value.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

impatient only works on the first round of the fight, which is almost never helpful. it is not applicable in subsequent rounds.

It can be nice on a really skilled ranged dude though. Starting off the battle with a dead enemy marksman is good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Finding good archers is incredible difficult. It is by far the biggest challenge of my attempts at a ranged focus run.

In order to have someone that starts with the general stats of the shittiest melee recruit, you need to hire a Bowyer, Poacher, or Hunter. Which, since they always come with equipment, is expensive as hell.

And then, they need to actually be good, which is hardly guaranteed, and then it's really nice if they have a goddamn star or two in ranged combat, which they almost never do!

I hired two hunters in a row with 60 melee stat and 2-3 stars though. Whoo, I guess, if I needed more damned frontliners?

fibblins posted:

Hooray for another difficult and costly victory wherein I forget to press the button to actually pick up all my hard-earned loot and just leave it all on the ground instead.

First thing you should do when opening the game is change the setting to autoloot

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

With 90 ranged why not just continue using the warbow?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This and starting combat five levels down a sheer cliff facing enemy marksmen on the high ground.

Then you just back up, or immediately retreat from battle.

I think people aren't quick enough to retreat, and that's one of the good things about ironman, really driving home "If something doesn't look worth it DON'T DO IT, I MEAN GODDAMN JUST GET OUT OF THERE"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Exmond posted:

Or we just reload the game. Please let people enjoy the game they want to play, I mean you have talk of cheating in this thread and you aren't jumping down that poster's throat.

I'm not jumping down people's throats and don't give a poo poo about cheating. Just pointing out there is actually an iron-man-acceptable bug-out button explicitly for dealing with this sort of situation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

Do enemies go on the offensive based on the number of ranged weapons you field, or based on the odds of them getting hit by your arrows?

Definitely both imo, I've had situations where they wouldn't move until I plinked a few of their dudes to death, and then that got them into gear.

The amount of ranged power they've got on their own side is also relevant, as is the distance between the lines, if they have a bunch of marksman even doling out some damage of your own might not make them advance unless you are already pretty close.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

So when exactly does the Greenskin invasion end? I've been "winning" it for nearly 20 days, and it's starting to take a toll.

I lost one of my 11th level 2 handers to an Ork warlord and I am now sad.

When you kill the guy responsible for it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Looking at you, skeletons and your infinite fatigue. Instead of using flails though I like to give my archers and pikemen longaxes if I have them, so I can break their shields down asap, but having 4 longaxes on the back rank is a luxury build for the early to mid game.

Unfortunately this means you're increasing the damage dealt by any survivors by about 150% AND wasting several of your own attacks doing things that aren't "killing skeletons".

I mean, it's something I do as well, but it's not a perfect strat.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

i'd file that one as a bug report honestly.

That's... actually how I would have expected it to work.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Typical bourgeois bossmen

Question: so am I correct in thinking initiative is a dump stat unless you are dodging or overwhelming?

Can be good on two handers as well due to reach advantage and somewhat useful on everyone else. Is good on archers generally.

Being able to wait and then move and attack and then attack again twice more before the enemy can react is actually pretty cool for melee folks but matters less after the opening round of melee combat. You can also accomplish the same thing with the adrenaline perk but that costs fatigue.

I did a dagger army myself and crippling strikes plus adrenaline plus dagger mastery means you can open a fight with five attacks that cause injuries and ignore armor before the enemy can hit back but the fatigue cost is crazy and having some high init dudes that didnt need to use adrenaline was preferable

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 28, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Little hint: For some of those artifact retrieval missions?

You can retreat from the mission, having nabbed the artifact, and still turn it in!

I just fled from what was gonna be the loss of several of my best guys and instead I only lost one - and I got a surprise payday as well!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

LolitaSama posted:

What does melee with high initiative look like? I can go twice for each turn my enemy goes once?

You can essentially go twice in a row the first turn of engagement (by waiting on the previous turn)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My favorite setup is still a frontline of spears every other square and polearm users in between (who switch to a two hander when the enemy engages)

being able to not just hold enemies off but do a ton of damage is great

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

So just to confirm, because I've seen a lot of contradictory info online: the game gets increasingly difficult as time elapses, unrelated to your renown, right?

You've seen a lot of contradictory info because absolutely nothing is confirmed and the only piece of actual info we have, a denial from the dev, actually manages to contradict itself.

So yeah no one actually knows

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Does the witchhunters bonus apply to the banner?

The bonus comes, I believe, in the form of a much higher base resolve before randomization so yes, absolutely.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

This is not accurate. I just got a random "the war is over!" event.

Addendum: or when someone else does

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The best weapon for taking out orc warriors is maces. Every swing of a mace causes 10 fatigue damage, even if it misses. You can swing twice per turn. Two dudes with maces can quickly and permanently lock down a warrior.

Spears are still best for orc young though and the opening of the fight, but only put the spears on your highest accuracy dudes and make sure they have the Master to keep their fatigue low. I like to alternate Spear & Mace when fighting warriors (on my front line, I also usually roll with heavy archer support.

Rotate is important because it lets me move my mace dudes right next to wherever the orcs break through. Give my archers backup blunt weapons and they don't need footwork or anything like that, they just need to switch weapons and swing. Any Orc Warrior that breaks through the line is just making himself useless and surrounded, which is fine by me!

Actually with the changes to how range works in regards to shooting over allies, my archers almost always run with blunt weapons instead of polearms now. I've been playing with a frontline setup of half Spear/Dagger dudes and have Mace/Poleaxe dudes and it's working really well.

Here's how it goes:
Spears on the flanks (best accuracy dudes get spears, poleaxe dudes in between (high ranged defense, accuracy less important). Spearwall up as long as possible, and the poleaxe dudes destroy shields at a distance to make that more effective and increase the damage done by my archers. When the enemy closes, my spearmen try to push them back and get the spearwall back up. and worst case the poleaxe dudes switch to maces to drain enemy fatigue and possibly stun them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kenzie posted:

Surprisingly, archers are not as useless against the skeletons as I thought they would be. I went into the crisis having four good archers. They might not be able to kill skeletons, but they help whittle down their armor and debuff them with the Overwhelm effect, and they switch to longaxes for shield smashing now and then. The skeletons go down really easy without armor or shields. Those archers and my few good melee fighters are the core of my group. I'm terrified of facing necrosavants, since I know my good archers are gonna get butchered by them. I've been avoiding them like the plague. :ohdear:

Give them Throwing Axes if you want them to do full damage with their ranged attack skill.

Also, man, this game has not been going well. Been rough from the get go, got to day 25 with very little in the way of quality equipment and a not great assortment of troops and then had to finish a contract to pay wages and, well... I didn't. I had two survivors, one of which was one of the crappiest dudes in my company, and the other of which was my original archer.

So I figured it's time to rebuild from scratch, and told the other dude to take a hike, so now I'm down to one guy and am faced with the prospect of rebuilding. Let's see how much cash I can get from selling all this equipment I guess...

I don't imagine this will go well.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 30, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm actually back up to twelve men now, about half level 2, and things are looking... alright? Might be salvageable after all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

What's the deal with the random merc companies just roaming the map? I took one out just for curiosity's sake and the only thing I got was an achievement out of it.

Lead the enemies into them, and let them be the ones to die while you loot the corpses.

I succeeded with a town defense once mostly because another merc company helped out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

How do you folks put together your backline in terms of defense? Medium armor and dodge? Do you bother with brawny and/or battle forged?

On my current run? THERE IS NO BACKLINE. Just a huge front line and a couple of guys in back ready to swap in when anyone gets injured or tired. (I also always start a battle by looking for choke points like trees and stuff to keep it solid)

So heavy army, brawny and battleforged for everyone!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The number of bolts/arrows/javelins/axes in your shield should decrease its effectiveness until you chop off the shaft/dislodge the axe.

I actually made a thorough suggestion on the forums of a mechanism of this sort to boost throwing weapons, especially since "throwing weapons apply effect until removed" is already in the game as a mechanic in the form of nets.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/forums/topic/making-throwing-weapons-better/

Feel free to bump/support it and help it get noticed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Rap responded!

Contract difficulty scales with time and "the strength of your roster" - which I assume is some combination of levels and equipment and number of recruits?

It might be that using fewer people and lower tier weapons and prioritizing armor might combine to literally make the game easier for you, since armor effectiveness scales up much more quickly than weapon effectiveness...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 30, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So... maybe confirmation bias but I have been trying a run with only six people and making sure they are the best six I can afford and not keeping mediocre dudes and it really does feel a ton easier.

I wonder if reservists also increase the difficulty and by how much? Also I imagine at some point time will become a more dominant factor so I will want to expand, but at least for the early game fewer dudes with better stats seems to be the way to go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Dreylad posted:

I got a named 2 handed axe from a Hedge Knight during a noble war battle.

I was so thrilled I forgot to loot it :negative:

Turn on autoloot people, seriously, what is wrong with you!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

dogstile posted:

If you try to continue without clicking loot it should move it over for you and you'll have to click continue again.

Careful though, i got really complacent, hit my loving inventory limit, some of the more expensive stuff was still on the other side.

Yeah had that last bit bite me really bad once.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Back Hack posted:

a single chain bearer, who I had completely surrounded by guys

Oh god, I knew what was coming as soon as you said this, why would you do this! Why!?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Its well worth releasing a dog swarm when thinga go south or you are about to elbe overwhelmed. losing a couple dogs is well worth keeping an experienced unit alive, they are a great insurance policy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Huh, just ran into geists again for the first time since release and... they really buffed them a lot, huh. They're actually more almost-unhittable than they were before at their worst, in regards to ranged attacks.

I guess they decided that actually being able to shoot them was a mistake, but completely negating all the accuracy bonuses including the one from fast adaptation is a step even further.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Great axes are good against beefy dudes because they double attack the same dude and one of those attacks is a guaranteed headshot.

The great swing means you cant really have solid lines and yeah its not too common but the primary attack is really good at making things dead and you dont even need headhunter on them since its guaranteed.

Does anything come close to their raw damage output?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

huh, did that change? last time i tried to put a quiver of bolts in my bag it just went 'lol, no'

that's awesome though

Archers are literally the only dudes I put Bags and Belts on.

Because they need their extra arrows, two sets of throwing axes (or a crossbow and bolts, depending on likely enemies), and a backup melee weapon just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Otherwise though . .. 1h swords why? Maces why?

Axes are decentish but you end up wasting time hitting enemy shields instead of actually doing poo poo. And that's loot you're just wasting.

Polearms also feel generally inferior to crossbows except for the Bannerman.

You also gotta consider synergies. For example, a frontline staggered with polearms on your low accuracy dudes and spears on your highest accuracy dudes means you can pour out tons of damage with melee attacks before the enemy ever has a chance to strike back.

You may say axes destroying shields are wasted turns - but if you combine them with dagger wielders, removing the shield bonus let's you avoid armor a lot more consistently.

1h Swords are great on dudes that also have hammers. Use the hammer to destroy the armor, and then switch to the sword to chew through their health. (Swords also have the best fatigue per damage ratio, you can attack twice per turn with them and RECOVER a point of fatigue if you have the mastery)

Maces have the stun ability which is just really great, and even their normal attack is good at disabling enemies. Unlike other weapons, Maces synergize best with more maces! You really need their master to use them reliably though, since it grants 100% stun and allows them to cause more fatigue to the enemy than they cost your dudes.