Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Wallet posted:

It's very much worth giving your front-line dudes some daggers, if nothing else. You can walk away from a fight with 7 or 8 bandits with three or four Worn Mail Shirts, which are excellent early game, and, bizarrely, the second most efficient (armor-30/fatigue) non-unique armor in the game, after Direwolf Mail. Even if you're past giving a poo poo about the sort of armor bandits wear, give them some daggers anyway in case you find a contract to hunt down a terror that turns out to be dudes dressed up as direwolves.
So I should hang on to direwolf pelts, I take it?

PS: gently caress direwolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I had my first run-in with ghosts earlier.

5% chance to hit on all shots, Anton missed one out of five.

He had a bow equipped at the time because I had no spare armor.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ShootaBoy posted:

Name him Gheistbane.

GlyphGryph posted:

Name him Buster.
I went with Anton the Unspooked in the end.
One of my favorites along with Sorrel the Beaten Dog, the pessimistic yet loyal houndmaster who was my first merc to ever suffer a permanent injury.

Of course now that the new patch is out I'll restart because permanently losing settlements doesn't sound like fun, especially when you stick with a playthrough for multiple crises.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Best-looking one I rolled so far:

Kampstadt, Stohl, Grotenhoom and Blankwasser have harbors. Sturmfeste has one that's in ruins, I don't know if it's going to be rebuilt.
Little risk of contracts sending you to the other side of a river you can't cross or bullshit like that. Lots of mountain ranges, though.
Kampstadt and Thalstadt are big trading hubs.
I guess Heldenburg is a bit annoying to get to, and Subingen will burn.

Archer and axe bro look pretty good:

6379eb

e: I started going through repdigits because why not? Seed 11 has all the harbors you'll ever need but apart from that, ehhh. 22 is sheer misery but gives you amazing melee bros. 33 gives you great bros and an acceptable map.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 4, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

94c40d is a pretty good seed.

Two hander has strong and bloodthirsty, archer has tiny and bloodthirsty, map has a gem mine and a good distribution of roads and harbors.

Only downside is the shield dude is kinda crappy with bad traits.
I've played on this map for a bit and its economy is pretty ridiculous.
There are two trappers, a gem and a salt mine very close to the starting location, as well as a large city to sell all that stuff at. In my game, that large city was affected by ambushed trade routes in the beginning.
I spent the first two or three days abusing that and ended up with more money than I started the game with after paying for the requisite three recruits, which included a Hunter that cost 1,000 alone, and some equipment.
I hired a leveled Sellsword in the first week, a leveled Raider and Squire not soon after, and put down 10,000 for a Hedge Knight before the end of the first month despite having absolutely terrible luck with contract availability.

The tiny bloodthirsty archer you start with is also a definite plus. I nicknamed him Goblinspawn, I love him dearly.

The shield bro really is lovely, though. He died at some point and I didn't even notice I had lost one of the starting companions at first. Even when I did I felt worse about the poor dog that died in the same battle.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 7, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Night10194 posted:

Let's be fair: Shieldbro is always the shittiest starting bro.

His stats are not quite high enough to make up for a total lack of actual combat/defense Talent stars.
I'm pretty sure the starting bros' trait rolls are skewed in their favor, so at least he can end up being a good shieldwall member or banner bro sometimes.
Or he can have no traits, 50 health and 57 melee skill.

Not sure how useful bloodthirsty is on an Archer. But at least all three startbros have two traits so they're editable.
Bloodthirsty shouldn't do anything, should it? That's kinda why I like it. It's useless but it adds character.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Drunk Monks are clearly the best sergeants. Bonus points if they're fat, too.

grill youre saelf posted:

This seed also has a faction with only one city. I am to hoping to steal a bunch of cities for them during the war event
I've made it my mission to become their ally, but they never offer any contracts. That city is just in too safe a position I guess.
So I'm also waiting for the war now.

e:

I once got a killer on the run with three stars in melee. I hacked him to have drunk and brute, but then he got an arrow to the brainpan anyway.
I dream of a Brute + Bloodthirsty Killer on the Run.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

KyloWinter posted:

Someone give me an effort post about the different types of towns, resources, and their interactions since I can't seem to understand it on my own. IE when I start a new game how am I supposed to analyze the map and figure out how to play it.
Essentially you buy trading goods wherever and sell them at the largest settlement you can find. Ideally a city.
You want trading good variety to a degree because settlements won't pay any kind of decent money for poo poo they produce themselves. More to the point, you want the cities and ideally also the towns and castles where you can sell stuff to not produce the same goods as neighboring smaller settlements. The southern regions can be awful in that regard; sometimes every single settlement has at least one Amber Collector.

Best case scenario is a bunch of settlements that produce trading goods and a city all close and connected to each other. Roads are more important here than the settlements being in a perfect circle or anything, I think. Having all that in a semi-central location is great.

Apart from that it's nice to have the cities/strongholds not too close together so you're never too far away from a place to offload loot and goods.

Gems are by far the most profitable trade goods, but salt and dyes are good as well.

I've also noticed that a city without garrison buildings (militia or tower) will more often suffer from ambushed trade routes, which is good for you because it means both buying and selling prices are higher, and you come to sell.

On that note, 90467 is a seed with a ton of different trade goods. But no lumber, some cut off settlements, and pretty subpar starting bros. Still, I kind of want to play on it just because there's so much trading you can do, just not in the most convenient way.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Pro tip: don't ally with a noble house that only has one city during the war.

It'll proceed to send you across half the map to a siege first.

Then it'll send you to a battle against the so far neutral house and your best archer will get a permanent injury. Then the backup will get shot in the kidney in the next battle and you'll realize that you can only hire replacements from two settlements now.

Then the only available mission will be raiding for 5 days and because you allied with the shittiest family and the scales started tipped not exactly in your favor you'll end up running all across the map because the enemy territory you're supposed to raid is loving everything, everywhere. All while permanently fighting enemy companies and militias, mostly alone because your allies have a total of four or five active companies.
Just so you can collect 4k after 5 days and 100 corpses.
Which barely covers your expenses at this point.
Assuming no deaths. Not even dogs.
All my dogs are dead.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 9, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The house-specific helmets knights wear should be guaranteed drops.
I even took care not to damage it too much and still the game wouldn't give me the fish one after the war's last siege battle.
Now the war is over and I only have one trophy helmet.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Had a war dog kill a Necrosavant and hold out against another until a mace bro found the time to come over to stunlock the fucker last night.
He has now retired and become the pet of my shittiest reserve guy, whose sole job is taking care of him/keeping him in his inventory so I don't end up accidentally sending the best dog this company ever had on a suicide mission against a Goblin Overseer.

Daktari posted:

Would you cozy up to the Nobles with fancy castles, or the ones that have a huge harbour presence?
I've found no issues with just taking contracts from whoever offers them until the war hits. In my current game I ended up fighting for the only house that never offered me a contract before (because it started with one secluded citadel close to two other military settlements, so absolutely nothing of note ever happened in that area, and obviously they couldn't send me to patrol their roads or anything, considering they owned nothing).

e: During the war, you'll definitely feel it when all harbors are closed to you, but it's manageable.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 11, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Friendly village first is the easy choice, afterwards it kind of depends. Visiting every settlement doesn't depend on your success or things like contract or recruit availability, though, while every other ambition does. So it's always a safe option unless you really want to stay in a specific area for whatever reason (trading goods, the rest of the map is a hellhole of swamps and mountains, whatever).

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure this guy is literally immortal :black101:

That's hilarious, I have an Iron Jawed Survivor Farmhand that I've also nicknamed Undying.

He refuses to even get knocked out, though, so he doesn't have a permanent injury yet.

dylguy90 posted:

Yep, I allied myself with the smallest faction (2 cities + 2 villages) and was running out of tools about halfway through the war due to repairing all the loot I'd pick up. Having 3/4 of the cities closed to you really makes you notice the economic side of this game more than you normally would.
Hey, as long as it's only tools and not warm bodies.
And luckily the house I allied with conquered two additional settlements very quickly, or I might have run out of everything. I ambushed enemy caravans for food at some point early on.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure this guy is literally immortal :black101:

My Undying Farmhand, although he only earned the name by virtue of his traits, gimmick build and being around forever:

I didn't even realize he was that high level but he's one of only two first week recruits that survived so far into the campaign (plus two starting bros) and it's day 156, so it makes sense I guess.
Also, I'm pretty sure I have better guys at level 8 and should probably replace him, but there's only one way out of this company and he's the least likely to travel down that road.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 11, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

dogsupremacy posted:

Anyone got a 3x iron lung seed tia
From Reddit:
6738c4 has Iron Lungs on both melee bros. Decent stats, too, although they both could have higher melee skill. Archer doesn't have it but is still very good.
Map looks good, too. A swamp settlement for cultist and mushroom needs, idiotic amounts of lumber camps and hunter's cabins, at least one citadel with furnace, smelter and connected surface iron vein. Not a lot of trading stuff but dyes near the starting location. I think I saw only two harbors but at least it's one north, one south.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Night10194 posted:

I've come to the conclusion squires might be the best soldiers in the game. Either that or Volker and Erik just rolled awesomely.
Yeah, Squires seem to be really great for how soon you can afford them.
They may not be on the level of Hedge Knights or Sellswords, but you can get a Squire right out the gate and expect him to do well with any weapon. Which is nice at a point in the game when your other recruits are Farmhands and Lumberjacks that are still learning how to fight and need to use training wheel weapons like spears and pitchforks.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I know editing starting bros is apparently easy, but how hard would it be to take a lategame save, dump all brothers and replace them with a bunch of random guys, maybe give them decent stats if they suck, and more importantly give them enough experience to instantly level to 11?
I'd like to have a sandbox to test builds, basically.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Ambushed trade routes are beautiful early on.

gently caress this mercenary gig, I'm a man of hams now.

(This is a city that starts with a destroyed watchtower and is next to two salt-producing civilian settlements in addition to the peat- (and ham-) producing starting village. Which makes it a pretty great area to be in for the early game. The starting village is in a swamp, which should be nice for cultist and mushroom availability, but the map overall is not very swampy. Bowyers, hunters, farmers and lumberjacks available in the north. Four harbors, well spread out (one belonging to an otherwise completely isolated settlement in the south). One village in the north is a little hard to reach but still connected by road to a port town. Overall well connected settlements but also with a fair amount of wilderness. Seed is 1da2cc. e: Shield bro has Survivor and good defenses. Axe bro: Loyal, overall good stats. Archer bro is kinda poo poo.)

Wallet posted:

Fairly easy. You could also just reset your existing dude's perks, though.
Good to hear. Ideally I'd want to have a roster with dudes that can be built any way, so with stat points unassigned. Also covering all backgrounds with special abilities besides stat changes - Killer, Juggler, Houndmaster, and I guess technically Brawler.
So I'll probably take my current save until the late game and then create a cheat save with tons of equipment, revealed enemy camps and a roster of 20 freshly recruited guys.

dylguy90 posted:

I finally completed the noble war, and I love the way it ends, no fanfare or heroics, just a bunch of spoiled nobles arguing in a tent after getting their entire peasantry killed by each other and your mercenaries. Also you get a shitton of equipment, no magic items but all the armor for my mainline and backup guys I could ever ask for. I think I made about 30k selling looted gear alone.
Yeah, although it was kinda weird to read about my avatar and one of the bros wondering who might have won.
Like, have you seen the map, you morons? The house you fought for went from one citadel to two citadels, two forts and one city. We killed hundreds for this.

Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrothers/comments/65264v/background_stats_spreadsheet/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k_izGk9h9r3OMlOmnmiOwrmK7EmHu2eni08JpULf-os/edit#gid=604473640
Apparently not adjusted for traits (it lists the maximum HP for Brawlers as 80, which I assume comes from a fat and/or tough one), so I'd only trust the median values. Still a great resource.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 13, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Taerkar posted:

What specific locations are so advantageous on a map? I see mention of swamps (cultists and mushrooms) and lumber Mills (Masterwork bow?), But what other places?
Citadel with furnace and smelter for high tier weapon and armor availability. That's on almost every map, though. Best case is an iron vein one allied settlement over, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that really makes.

And even though I mentioned it I wouldn't call settlements in swamps super important, they're just a bit uncommon.

Lumber is for the masterwork bow, yeah. I've never gotten that event, but if you have a bowyer, why not keep a stack of lumber around just in case?

Harbor placement and settlement spacing can be important for the crises because settlements can be permanently destroyed during the orc and undead ones. So you probably don't want some tiny village that's a day's march away from everything on the orc war's frontier if you play with permanent destruction, unless you don't care about losing a village or two.

For the early game it's nice to have a cluster of civilian settlements (that will give your unknown company contracts) with some trading goods and locations that give better odds for good early game recruits. For me that means farms, hunter's cabins and lumber camps. Squires seem to pop up in every bigger settlement but may be more common in military ones or if there are military buildings nearby.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Forget what I said about good early game backgrounds.
The best early game battle brother is a dressed up dog with a houndmaster to pet him.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Pictured on the upper left: youth with fresh face.

Not complaining about the dude, though:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Always been in the release version at least, I bought one during my first campaign.
Pretty useful against larger enemy groups with archers.

e: Also has obvious applications wrt savescumming for enemy knights with decorated helmets when put on a high initiative bro.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Selecting the decapicated king as my banner was clearly a mistake.
So far my company has suffered two deaths, a militiaman and a dog, who happen to be my most expensive hires to date. Both beheaded by Brigands, and the dog completely out of nowhere by a breaking Brigand Thug.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

So uh, can this guy get out? I feel like leaving him in there is one of the most merc-ish things to do at this point.
:allears:

e:

Hell yeah.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 14, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

dhamster posted:

I think you can see your guys' modified skill totals during battle in the inventory screen?
Yeah, this would be relatively easy to test by getting some guy drunk and then to wavering.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Just bumped into Goblins for the first time. Going to take a break from the game for a bit after that bullshit. 2x poison applications every turn per archer, most melee have nets which last for three turns, and the tradeoff of them not having shields to have the nets doesn't matter because my usually reliable archers all have a ~20% chance to hit them in plain view. Add on them being able to dance around my team and kill anyone without a shield if they are in the open for a single turn due to the amount of archers as well!
What level are your bros at and what armor are they wearing?
My usual tactic agains goblins is to just rush in and gently caress them up because they waver nearly instantly when the lines meet and staying at range against them isn't gonna do any good anyway. The only thing I'm cautious about is who moves into range of their pikes because those are the only damaging weapons they have. Apart from that it's just a straight charge into their ranks.
But that may only get you killed if your guys get demolished on the way in.

quote:

Even when I have a line of shield dudes covering the ranged dudes right behind them it doesn't matter, their archers only need to graze a crossbowman with poison once in the entire battle and he can't ever reload.
He can reload the second turn he gets after being poisoned, though?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Locke Dunnegan posted:

My dudes are around level 4-7, in ~115 helmets and ~140 armor.
Should be fine, honestly, unless you were outnumbered or had the impossibly bad luck of running into an overseer (which I'm not sure can even happen).
I mean, fine in this case means you should win but might lose a guy, but still, that's sufficient gear to stand up to goblin weapons.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Disgusting Coward posted:

A bunch of nobles and militia show up to donate their weapons and armour. What's bad about that?
Can a Knight spawn during those events?

I'll take any chance for a decorated helmet I can get.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Not entirely related to the backup weapon discussion, but I want to try out a Quick Hands + Crippling Strikes build with backgrounds that tend to have decent Ranged Skill in addition to Melee (so Sellswords, Squires, Militia) and give them nets, javelins and a dog to become some sort of skirmishers/essentially goblins in human form.
As a main weapon I'd imagine they could get either a cleaver (since they move in a turn or two later), a polearm or just a mace.

GlyphGryph posted:

Range and fatigue both have higher than normal roll bases and higher than normal variance so stars are less meaningful than you might expect in terms of final outcomes.
That's not true.
And with Ranged Skill the level-ups give 1 point more than Melee Skill, but Ranged Skill also starts out lower. That doesn't mean anything for talent, really, it just means archers need some levels to become not poo poo at their job.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

GlyphGryph posted:

Ranged skill ranges from low 30s to mid 60s starting doesnt it?

I cant recall ever seeing melee skills below like 45.

Thats what I mean by higher than normal variance. For skills like ranged and fatigue background matters a lot more than stars
I thought you meant level-up roll variance.

Still, stars matter irrespective of starting values to a certain extent imo.

With Fatigue that's pretty intuitive. Any additional points will keep you fighting for longer, since actions cost the same no matter what your attribute value is. Of course there are perks that shake this simple formula up by dealing with percentages of your maximum Fatigue like Recover. So in that regard, yeah, a Gambler with 3 stars in Fatigue can still make use of his talent but a Wildman with the same talent can at some point Recover a million points by taking a deep breath for a turn, which the Gambler won't.

With combat skills it's similar because as far as I can tell you're still adding the same value to your hit chance, so no matter your starting value you're converting the same number of misses to hits by leveling the stats. I'm not 100% sure about that, though.

marshmallow creep posted:

I had a guy with just about 30 melee skill at one point. I didn't keep him.
How is that even possible? Clumsy drunkard Peddler?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

dhamster posted:

Are there no forest towns in your map seed?

The masterwork bow event seems stupidly rare even if you have the wood, unfortunately
Absolutely worth keeping a stack of lumber and a lovely Bowyer around for, though:

:discourse:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Oh, goblins... :allears:

Ok, I've put the first few chunks of the draft guide up on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024054503/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides&appid=365360

Still very much a work in progress, as you can see from all the blank sections, but enough of it's there to start generating some feedback. Please take a look if/when y'all get a chance and let me know what you think.

Target audience is new players not playing Ironman.
Cool guide!

Couple things I noticed:
You misspell Wiederganger and Nachzehrer at some point. Also might help to note that a Wiederganger is just a zombie (which you do for Nachzehrer/Ghoul).
Hedge Knights can also train new recruits. (I don't know how these events work for other backgrounds, but in their case this is specifically limited to low-level bros, and possibly to those that haven't been around for long.)
Witchhunters can make antidotes out of Nachzehrer teeth. Not very notable overall but maybe you want to include it for the sake of completeness.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Can you find the bro that got his shield destroyed like a week ago?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I've kinda started judging maps primarily by their noble houses because what could be more important than the fancy hats you'll get to collect? Swan and bull are probably my favorites. But of course there's also the queen doll in a fancy dress standing proud atop a full helmet. (That I've never gotten to see in-game.)

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Pornographic Memory posted:

Are Hedge Knights actually worth it? I've been trying to save up for one but it's hard to save enough when I'm trying to juggle tools, temple visits, armor upgrades for my current mercs, and the occasional casualty replacement.
Sellswords tend to be a safer bet since they're less prone to bad talent distribution loving everything up for them. Hedge Knights are built only to be melee juggernauts, so if they get their stars in Ranged Skill, Initiative and one pity star in HP they're kinda hosed unless their starting stats are really good.
Sellswords are by design good at both melee and ranged, so if getting an expensive recruit is still a huge investment for you you may want one of those.

Then again, though, Hedge Knights have really good gear sometimes, like Nordick said. It may be worth getting one for that alone. My swan hat dude came with the scale mail and sword he's still using and only cost a total of 10k or so. That the merc himself was a good bro joining at level 3 or whatever was just a bonus at that point.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Jay Rust posted:

But their dying whimper :(
I used to feel really bad about the dogs dying, but then I saw an Orc Berserker jump at one and behead him in one strike. I didn't know there was a decapitation animation for dogs until that point. Seeing that happen was so over the top I just had to laugh.

Now I'm cured of my sentimentalities and buy war dogs by the litter.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Since the differences between backgrounds and which of them are worth it etc. came up repeatedly over the last couple pages, here's some stuff I've been working on:
I spent some time over the last weeks giving myself shitloads of money in Cheat Engine and picking up all available recruits on a bunch of maps to write down their stats. After that I kinda just kept doing it for all bros I'd hire.
Now I have the attribute, talent and trait data for 821 bros. (And absolutely no inclination to add a single more, I've got screenshots of probably around 50 additional bros but I feel thoroughly done with this poo poo by now. :shepicide:)
What I did this for was, at first, curiosity about how good a few backgrounds I was interested in are in particular. But now all backgrounds are represented at least 10 times, so the data can actually tell us something about all of them.

Below's what I've done with the attribute data so far.

What this plot shows:
The backgrounds are sorted by daily salary, highest at the top. The bars on the right show the exact salary.
The heat map/colored table shows how, for each background, the stats deviate from the average. For instance, Swordmasters have over 20 more Melee Skill than other backgrounds on average, but Beggar-level HP and the worst Fatigue in the game.
For those that care, I calculated the specific values as follows: For each background, I took the median values (so the most average values) of all stats. Then I calculated the median value of all these medians across backgrounds for each stat. The values in the heat map are the median attribute values of each background minus that median of all medians, rounded to .5.
If that's too much stats terminology already, essentially this was just a robust way of getting the average values of all attributes that corrects for differences in background rarity and extreme outliers among the backgrounds.

A few notes about this:
First, what this doesn't show is the range within backgrounds. For example, the Melee Defense of Bastards is highly variant. There are some with negative values and some on the level of Raiders.
Second, this obviously doesn't account for events or other bonuses or penalties a background may have. Ratcatchers may be among the best low cost backgrounds attribute-wise but they'll occasionally poison your entire company, for instance. On the other hand, Houndmasters already look good for their price and have good events and a special ability on top of it.
Third, while the way of calculating the values I use corrects for background rarity and backgrounds with extreme bonuses/penalties like Cripples and Swordmasters skewing the data, it can't correct for the fact that there are a lot of cheap but few elite backgrounds.
Fourth, since this is entirely a relative approach, the different attributes are effectively on different scales. For example, look at the Ranged and Melee Skill bonuses of Sellswords. I'm pretty sure that they are the same in the sense that the same value gets added to the attributes' respective base values. The wiki says it's +10 to both and in this case I believe it. However, there are so few ranged backgrounds while quite a few get a bonus to Melee Skill that the values you end up with when comparing backgrounds like I did are a little different.

So here's the same plot but with the straight median values the backgrounds have printed in the cells. That may be more useful if you're looking for backgrounds producing specific values, since it'll show you just what you'll get on average.

Anyway, since this doesn't show the range of the different backgrounds, I made box plots. (Explanation of how to read those here: http://www.wellbeingatschool.org.nz/information-sheet/understanding-and-interpreting-box-plots)
Here are the ones for Adventurous Nobles:

What exactly does this show?

Well, if you take the one for Hitpoints, for instance:
1. The scale is limited by the range of this attribute in the entire data. In this case the lowest recorded HP value is an extremely unlucky Cripple with 30 HP, while the highest is a Hedge Knight with 73.
2. The black horizontal line at around 55 is again an average value corrected for background rarity as described above.
3. Looking at the position of the box plot now, it seems that Adventurous Nobles have fairly average HP values. They're often slightly below average but you can get lucky and find one with 60. They range from 50 to 60 and there's no huge apparent bias towards one of the extremes. It's possible that they skew a little lower, it's also possible that this apparent trend doesn't exist at all and I had some bad luck with the HP values of the 14 I hired. (Since things like this are highly dependant on the amount of data you have I mention how many bros of each background I've seen in the plot titles.)

Other stats seem to be distributed differently. Resolve is probably the most notable here since it's what you ultimately hire those bros for, and the box plot can tell you that, while you'll probably get a value in the 50s if you hire an Adventurous Noble, you can just have poo poo luck and get one that's only slightly better than average, making him essentially an overpriced militia that likes to get shot a lot.
Side note: You'll see some gray lines in the box plots for the attack and defense stats. That's because, in those cases, I put both Skill and Defense attributes on the same scale, so the limits of the Ranged Skill shows the minima and maxima of both Ranged and Melee Skill, for instance. The gray lines tell you exactly what range the individual stat in question has (i.e. Ranged is generally lower than Melee Skill and apparently never above 60 for level 1 bros).

Anyway, different backgrounds seem to show different amounts and patterns of variance. Some examples:

So, Miners are all the same. Bastards, as mentioned, are kind of a gamble in terms of Melee Defense (and to a certain extent Skill). Cripples are all bad, but winning the RNG lottery is a thing for them (and so is losing it). And Thieves are similar to each other in many ways but show quite a lot of variance where their HP and defenses are concerned. Considering their defenses are their one real selling point, that means they, too, are at the mercy of the RNG lottery.

Here's a link to an Imgur album containing the heat maps and box plots for all backgrounds:
http://imgur.com/a/vuRqD

If anyone wants to use the data for something, it's a tab-delimited text file:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mYXAfOx80HgoOrsTvEqLFYBv2NZJWScbEqGuvD2C9NE/pub
The columns are:
Background
HP_V - Hitpoint value
HP_S - Hitpoint talent stars
Fat_V - Fatigue value
Fat_S - Fatigue talent stars
And so on. Res is resolve, In is Initiative, MS Melee Skill, RS Ranged Skill, MD and RD Melee and Ranged Defense.
The last two columns, Trt1 and Trt2, list the traits. NA if there is no trait to report.

Lastly, this is still a work in progress. I only put it up here because the topic came up several times and I'm absolutely loving done with writing down stats.
I'm not sure the talent and trait data is going to reveal much of anything, although I think there's something going on with traits at least. I wouldn't put it past this game to make Flagellants and Nobles twice as likely as other backgrounds to be bleeders or something like that. So I'll take a look at it eventually.
I'll also see if I can set up a Google docs thing so people can add data. As far as I know at least two people on Reddit have done something similar but didn't record traits and talents.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

KyloWinter posted:

Now do talent stars as well as level-up stat progressions, since it seems like that poo poo matters.
I don't think there's much going on in terms of interactions between backgrounds and talents, so I'll do it after everything else, if ever.
Feel free do do it yourself, of course. :v:

There's some simple but interesting analysis to be done, though, which is to check the distribution of talents across all bros. So that's what I did.

Left shows the distribution of total talent points (so how many bros have a total of 3, 4, 5 etc. stars). Right shows how the individual talents are distributed (how many are 1, 2and 3 star talents).

This seems pretty straightforward: bros are far more likely to have 1 star than 2 for a given talent, and having a talent of 3 for an attribute is rare. This leads to a distribution skewed towards lower talent totals, although an average bro will probably at least have two stars in one stat since they're not that rare.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 19, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mugsbaloney posted:

Wizard what program you running to do these? I'm halfway through the udacity data analytics nanodegree and your work is very inspiring.
These are made using R scripts, so not a program per se but a scripting language. I'm using RStudio.
The functions I made use of are mostly the basic plotting functions. One exception is the heat map one summarizing the backgrounds. For that I used the superheat package. Part of the reason for doing this is to get more practice with that package, actually, which is also why the heat maps look a lot more polished than the box and bar plots.

e: Also, I lucked out and got 3 bros with Iron Lungs. My starting archer is Cocky.

I didn't take a screenshot the first time this happened, only when I noticed he kept trying.
I know how that one's gonna die.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 19, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Tias posted:

For those of us who really can't math, what sort of conclusions can we draw from those tables? What backgrounds are consistently better than others, if any?

(Link to Imgur album again just in case: http://imgur.com/a/vuRqD)

Not trying to cop out here, but I think it depends, and honestly there are people that have played for a lot longer and can probably tell which backgrounds are useful a lot better. I also haven't looked at the plots for all backgrounds in a lot of depth myself to be honest. I don't care about Cultists, so even though they look like extremely good value I've only looked at the box plots for them once, right before uploading them.
That said, there are some backgrounds that just seem bad for their cost. Disowned Nobles for instance. Squires cost the same and are, on average, at least equal but often better in all stats. I hired Disowned Nobles in two games now (although one died) to see if they have some great events but the only one I ever got was a mildly negative one. But you don't really need to understand the math behind all this to see that, you just look at the tables and see which backgrounds have appropriate stats for whatever role you need filled and decide which ones of those you can afford have the highest stat bonuses.

There's another thing you can get out of just the table that's mainly interesting for hires that represent a big investment, so early recruits, the first expensive background you hire etc.
And that's that some backgrounds have good stats more or less across the board while others are more specialized. On the top end you've got Swordmasters and Hedge Knights (specialists) vs. Sellswords (generalists). Since all backgrounds have some variance to their starting stats (some more, some less) and talents seem entirely random, I'd personally always get a generalist first when the initial hiring cost is like half the company's reserves. Hedge Knights can be great, but you can end up with one who has starting Melee Skill of just above 60 and no talent for it.
The same can happen with Sellswords, but talent stars have to go somewhere and it's rare for all stats to be trash. Since Sellswords can also make good archers and possibly even dodge tanks, they're a safer investment. You might not get exactly what you're looking for, but it's rare to get one that's just flat out not worth the money, which can easily happen with backgrounds that depend on specific stats.
Militia and Squires are also good generalists and affordable early on. They're a big investment then and I'd always consider if I can use their starting gear, but both backgrounds can get you bros that make good melee characters, archers, sergeants, or can grow into several roles.

Of course you'll want specialists at some point, even early on, and that's where the box plots can help you.
Let's say you want a second archer on day 1 and you've got the choice between a Bowyer and a Poacher that cost more or less the same to hire (their daily cost is the same).

Both are almost the same on average (median values/black bars in the middle of the box plots), but Bowyers' starting stats are more random whereas with Poachers you generally always get what you paid for. A Bowyer can have Ranged Skill somewhere in the lower 40s, which can be salvaged by good talent but he might not have any stars in it. A Poacher will, apparently always, have about 50 Ranged Skill, average Fatigue and good Initiative. Their Resolve varies a lot but that's not really the most important stat for an archer.
So, potential masterwork bow event or not, I'd always get the Poacher early on when money is tight and I can't just blow 500 crowns on a Bowyer who turns out to be complete dog poo poo/surprisingly bad at applying his knowledge of bows to shooting people.
(Side note, I'd generally always consider the entire range of the box plots, so not just the colored boxes themselves but also the tails, when hiring someone.)

Sperglord Firecock posted:

What's the seed out of curiosity?
I didn't mean the starting bros, just that I randomly got 3 Iron Lungs dudes in the first month of the game. (The seed is 748a84, it's a good map but the starting bros are actually pretty bad.)

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 24, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sokani posted:

What's everyone's early game plan? After getting a beginner game past day 100 I can't seem to get a veteran game off the ground. I just hemorrhage too many people before I can get decent gear and enter a fail spiral.
First step is finding where on the map I want to be for the first month or so. For that I pick an area that has a city (for recruits, temple, missions and unloading trading goods) close to some other civilian settlements and some trading opportunities. If there's no such area I try a different map. (I don't absolutely need to have a gem mine on a map but some trading to make some easy money early on is a must for me.)
If the starting village isn't part of one such area I'll get the starting village to friendly to clear the first ambition and then head out.

So I end up traveling my chosen starting area, doing some trading, taking contracts that don't sound too problematic and gearing up. I'll buy any good armor I come across that doesn't leave me flat broke, especially if it's damaged/cheap and I got the tools to repair it.

There are some contracts I just don't take any more early on (first two weeks or so). Any risk of Direwolves and I'm out. I don't guard caravans because I got attacked by Orcs and Direwolves on those even early on, so gently caress that. If a mission pays more than 400 I'm going to think twice about it. Ideally the first missions are just against thieves (which are usually just Brigand Thugs), Nachzehrer, Wiedergänger and Ancient Auxiliaries. I'll consider Brigand Raiders if it's only a few of them and I want to have a shot at their gear, but that's risky. I also find that I can get my bros outfitted just fine looting Thug weapons and Auxiliary helmets and buying armor.

I like to have 7 or 8 bros early on. 5 form the first line: 3 get spears, 2 get whatever the best weapons I looted from Brigands are (generally flails or swords). Backline bros have whatever. I like to have 3 archers to make enemies come to me eventually but early on I'll use what I find, so sometimes they end up with pikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

golden bubble posted:

Speaking of death spirals, how do you keep your reserve bros happy? For a game about rebuilding your company, it feels really hard to recover from a serious loss. I rarely have a fight where multiple bros get injured, but no one dies. Usually, it's a total victory with one injury at most, or I lose bros. So how are you all building up a large B-team?
I aggressively hire and fire low-cost backgrounds. If you do that you'll come across some recruits with good enough stats and Disloyal/Craven eventually, which means they'll happily be in the reserve forever. At this point I think Disloyal is one of the most desirable traits, really.
Deserters also don't mind being in reserve, and they generally have decent attack and defense stats. poo poo Resolve, but that's manageable since they're generally not going to be a part of the hardest fights.