Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Although hearing the slice of your greatsword wielder and the resulting flying heads is really satisfying.

Agree that they nailed the sound design and the animations in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I see the nerfed worn mail shirts a bit by buffing mail shirts slightly. They now have 115 armor instead of 110. Pretty reasonable change.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm using 3 archers and using them with crippling/overwhelm to suppress and break up enemy formations. It's working well even past day 60 but I need to get them warbows soon and I"m just not making enough money to make that happen, currently.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Holy hell the missions for the noble war are no joke. The two skull war camp mission leads to fighting half a dozen zweihanders which are scary as hell. And my noble allies don't start the battle with any which means their frontlines get slaughtered. I might have to run away from this one.

knight hats are cool as gently caress

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Even moving into the middle game I find i like spearmen on my rear flanks. The front flank slots get taken by two-hander folks but the spearwall just lets them control space in a really nice way and force enemies to take that much longer to go around.

Agreed, my two frontline flank guys get spears because it helps funnel the enemy into the centre of my line and also if I'm outnumbered actually slows the enemy down from engaging me all at once so I tend to fight with even numbers.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
God once you get your greatsword users going it's wonderful. In a bigger noble war fight I wait on my first turn to have one of them full move in range of three billmen. Next turn starting off he decapitates 2 guys with the first swing and kills 2 more on the second, causing the morale on the enemy's entire flank to flatline.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

I want to know what Orc shields are made of because they easily last twice the number of hits my regular ones do.

I got a unique orc shield that has 92 durability. It just sits in my inventory because it's like -30 fatigue and no better defense stats than a heater shield, but yeah. It'd take a lot of axe swings to break that down.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Boy your mercs get tons of morale from murdering poor wardogs :smith:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I got a named 2 handed axe from a Hedge Knight during a noble war battle.

I was so thrilled I forgot to loot it :negative:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If one of your guys has sure-footed then you have an option that gives you a better ending.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
where's my battle sisters (I know they said if they added women mercs they wouldn't be palette swaps, but still)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I really like the dev team's commitment to the game's setting and keeping everything in line with it. Although I wouldn't object to a little Black Company/Malazan inspiration where wizards do exist, but they're insanely powerful and destructive and you'd never seriously try to fight one. besides necros of course

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 13, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm getting back into it after putting it down as well and the trouble I tend to have is transitioning into a late game force that can handle crisis groups and generally not enter a failure cascade. Getting two hander bros online can be tough, although in my current game I've got a bunch of candidates for once and generating a good amount of cash. I've finally had a look at some guides and tweaked my perk choice to make everyone a bit more effective too, so here's hoping.

Also I know people have said that fighting skeletons is rough no matter what but man it's just not financially worth it a lot of the time given the amount of armour damage you take. They really should add injuries to undead, like lost arms, shattered skulls, whatever just so you can inflict some kind of attrition damage onto a skeleton/zombie force. They already don't have fatigue problems, which is fine, but the lack of injuries just makes them kind of boring, to be honest, and I find you just have to play better throughout an encounter compared to fighting bandits/nobles/orcs/whatever.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Thanks for the advice. I'm either not spending enough cash early on to try to dig up some good potential 2 hander users, or I'm being too picky about who becomes a 2 hander user. I definitely agree that my problem has been too many shield guys and not enough 2 handers that kills my DPS. It's just fairly expensive to pick up greatswords and 300+ armour. I'm having to manage with several 200+ armours.

Although I somehow stumbled across two Lindwurm armours in two random bandit forts that are fairly heavy but have that 300+ armour. Did I just get lucky or is that the game giving me a hint?

Also I don't think I've ever seen a warscythe.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Things have gone well, I have two guys who ended up with high melee and ranged attack that I turned into pike/crossbowmen and I love the tactical flexibility. One even has solid melee defence so I can rotate him in when needed or cover my archers on a flank.

Got the greenskin crisis which is good fun, and it's turned into quite a struggle, as one of the few towns that has a weaponsmith is on the front lines of the crisis constantly under attack. Given that I only have one great sword and one great hammer, I'm desperately trying to keep the city alive so I can get enough heavy equipment to deal with the heavier orcs that are coming my way. Not sure if I'll pull it off, but at least the money's good.

Playing ironman veteran too. I understand the arguments against student, but I find given that I'll lose guys to mostly my own stupidity, I need to get new bros leveled up ASAP to fill in the ranks. Also a lot of my guys end up as shield bros because either I'm bad at picking out the correct guys or a lot of my guys stats have been pretty mediocre. Two good archers, two guys who I think have enough mdef, fatigue and mattack to become 2 handers, the rest are just okay. High fatigue guys get maces, I've got some swords on lower mattack guys, flails for the rest with one axe user if needed.

I also just haven't had the money to try a hedge knight or something else that's expensive and good (adventurous noble). Maybe I'm not being careful enough about how I spend my cash. I also did screw up and forget to loot a bandit leader fight where I carefully shanked him and got his armour, weapon (winged mace), and helmet. God that was a sad moment.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'd like for them to make some backgrounds a bit better. Obviously a cripple shouldn't be "balanced" compared to a brawler or something, although the game does seem to allow for the really rare chance but...

Then again Resolve seems to be increasingly important and might emphasize the use of more Resolve favourable backgrounds, I dunno.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I really hope they add injuries to undead because goddamn they're boring or just frustrating to fight. I basically avoid fighting ancients because while I can get my head around fighting orc warlords or goblins, or merc companies or noble regiments, stalling out against legionnaires with a few bad great sword/hammer bros attack rolls and having my brothers get their heads popped by ancient honor guard pikes sucks rear end

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They already don't suffer from fatigue and ignore resolve, which means they will out last your pathetic living fleshmen, not having injuries is just a bit too much.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm looking forward to the background rebalancing to see how it shakes out and hopefully makes more backgrounds viable in different ways.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm relying on y'all to find good seeds for those of us at work

I'm going to find Hellworld that's just swamp for us hardcore battle brothers

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm trying to unlearn my hiring habits and try out different backgrounds. Being able to find out if a miner is going to be a cholicy baby is helpful, and the low resolve on some farmhands seems to make them a liability more than anything now.

also maybe because I'm so used to paradox-priced DLC but this seems pretty drat reasonable for 10 bux

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 30, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
In my quest for the perfect Hellworld, I've noticed that it seems like your archer bro has a decent chance of getting Dexterous/Sure Footing with the nickname "The Wolf." Makes him a pretty good xbow/pikeman since he usually ends up with 61 Melee attack/51 ranged attack to start.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Cool, I started doing some explore missions and stumbled across a landmark and found The Golden Goose. 15 crowns a day and it's worth 3k if I want to sell it..

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wizard Styles posted:

That's pretty cool. Just 15 a day, though? I'd sell it in an instant.

Yeah the economics of it don't make much sense unless there are future events that I don't know about that will modify it. I checked in a random neutral village and it was worth even more than I previously posted. I'm gonna hang on to it and see what happens.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
DKMIFFDVRC

Starting bros aren't bad but nearly half the map is Swampworld. For the masochists.

I'm still having trouble getting a company going for some reason.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
With so many resolve things out there farmhands might be a bit more of a liability though, and maybe it's just confirmation bias but I think their resolve is even lower than it was before the DLC. Like low 30s high 20s sometimes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't know if I got lucky or what but since the patch I've had a run that has mainly bandit missions which means I've been able to develop my equipment pretty well.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Man it's nice having the option to get a Longsword and be able to use a bro who is already pretty good as a second row guy who can step up and carve through a particular tough group of bandits.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

XRURUEVWMU

Probably the cleanest map I've ever seen, decent starting bros, lots and lots of forest villages, massive unexplored region.

Man I am discovering the pain of not having any forest villages. I've found one poacher with no stars in ranged attack, and a hunter who had some lovely traits. I'm leaning on witch hunters and a set of polearm/crossbow hybrids from Hieronymus Alloy's guide.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Not sure if the AI has always done this but I've noticed they'll ignore dogs if they're sufficiently protected and attack your bros instead. Still dogs are Good, and I want to see dog traits and dog perks.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SickZip posted:

If you don't fight the Kraken you can't get this https://i.imgur.com/eiKLbh5.png which does this https://i.imgur.com/YoGSL4L.jpg

Cool that's basically Alric's sw-

Sloober posted:

that's totally the sword Balmung from Myth: The Fallen Lords

dammit

Finally started taking on DLC monsters. Alps are interesting. Definitely want a sergeant before you fight them. Also dogs are really helpful against them.

Night10194 posted:

Still want a Myth game using Battle Brothers' combat system some day.

Quick, someone mod the game to have Casualty and Casulaties! play everytime a bro/many bros die.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Count Uvula posted:

Even if you don't avoid them, the whining about Hexens and Schrats is overblown if you look at the steam forums or some poo poo. You can reliably take on like 4 schrats using a single dedicated axe bro, and hexens are a bitch early on but there are a ton of different strategies to deal with them. Alps are as annoying as people say they are, though. The biggest flaw is honestly a lot of the new writing -- hooboy if you thought the near complete absence of women was questionable gender politics, they got real and bizarre misogyny now whenever Hexens are mentioned in a written event. Outside of the Hexen stuff specifically, a lot of the new writing is just annoyingly purple and has about 4x as many words as it should for the information it's conveying.

As with most creative endeavours, but especially video games, people need editors.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Nope. I expect they'll change it, although I don't know how it got through even the most basic testing.

I'm not going to use Nimble until its fixed, except maybe late game on a hedge knight or some high end background guy I end up getting eventually. Dogs continue to be a huge boon against the new monsters, although I haven't found any schrats yet. Unholds waste their time throwing a dog around while my guys poke the Unhold to death. Also cleavers work really well against them.

Dogs against hexe are a bit more iffy, but if you can get to the hexe I just rotate the dog out if one of my units is hexed. Even if the dog ends up getting a few hits in, they aren't damaging enough to seriously hurt any hexed unit.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

Also, is the Bone armor addition that makes you immune to the first hit every combat worth it? Seems like it could be pretty good for lategame stuff that hits hard.

I really like throwing it on my two hander bros to help soak a stray crossbow bolt or something nasty before they can wade into melee.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Hey I finally got the caravan hand expanding your cart event. I never had that fire before. Really helpful with all these reagants I'm hauling around.

Also maybe they always existed but around day 30 in this campaign I got a couple of mid level undead missions against auxiliaries and two necrosavants. Wasn't expecting that, and my poor wildman bro I just hired got decapitated in the process but some of the stuff you can craft from their dust is nice.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Captain Gordon posted:

Dogs destroy alps, just release the hounds and stay awake

Yeah, exactly. Dogs gently caress alps up. And if they sleep your dogs, that means they aren't sleeping your bros. Dogs rule.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Honestly camping inside a city should make you immune to ambushes unless the city is under siege/being raided.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Adds lots of fun content. I still haven't found schrats but that's probably because there's very little forest on my map in the civilized area.

There's balance issues that need to be sorted out, but those are tied to the base game. I'd say it's definitely worth picking up, especially for 10 bux.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The new armour is a disappointment because you still need 210+ on 2hander bros imo. It helps you get to that point I guess but the common armour seems to stop at the 115 (?) chain mail that raiders wear and that's it.

The new weapons on the other hand are great, but some stuff like the Septum should be more common to get more use out of it. It's always nice to just have a polehammer in reserve, or the club/spear two hander in the early game is quite nice. And of course Longswords make the transition to 2hander bros much easier.

vyelkin posted:

I found out the downside to nimble. It doesn't reduce bleeding damage, obviously. All it took was two hits from an orc warrior's cleaver and my nimble bro lost nearly half his health just bleeding over the next two turns. Didn't last long after that.

I think for all that nimble is much better than it used to be, it still isn't clearly better than battleforged and heavy armour. Both are situationally better than the other. With the new enemies, more attacks don't care about armour than in the past, making high HP pools better and encouraging builds that go for high HP instead of high fatigue and nimble instead of battleforged, but similarly there are some attacks, like cleavers, that will ruin someone who isn't in heavy armour no matter how nimble they are. I think I'll still build most bros for heavy armour but mix some nimble guys in there, both for variety and to save on tools and armour costs, and because high initiative nimble bros with rotation can save lives.

Oh, another thing: if a nimble bro takes a beating in battle it can actually take a while to get back up to full health. Whereas a bro whose armour takes a beating can always swap out for different armour and fight again two seconds later, especially in the lategame when you have spare suits of heavy armour kicking around.

Nimble definitely still has weaknesses but I think the biggest problem is how it really makes your economy game so much easier. Think about how much money you have to sink into getting a battleforged bro to nearly the same effectiveness in comparison. It's a bit absurd.

I've avoided taking it but if it stays roughly as is, or gets nerfed somewhat it still might be good on archers. I usually just put dodge on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I also have a soft spot for historians and will always try to hire one, but usually they're utter garbage in a fight.

:hfive: