Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Posting a Bull

- - -

quote:

Who changed you?

Okay, no 'hi, how are you? that's a lovely dress you're wearing' just straight in with the questions. Right.

Well, would you believe me if I said I was blessed by the gods? Chosen by destiny? I'm part of an ancient bloodline? A wizard did it? No...?

*Are you going to tell the truth, Lilly?*

Shut up! Er, not you! I mean, not that you were saying anything to begin with. I mean, that would be crazy! Telling you to shut up when you're not speaking Ha, hahaha... Oh gods drat it.

Look, I, um... it all started with the bandits. We'd been forced to pay protection to them. It went on for years. Anyone who stood against them... well, it ended badly for them. But the cost kept going up higher and higher. Anyone who couldn't pay, they made an example out of. No hero came to save the day, no one cared. We were one tiny village out in the middle of nowhere. We'd been scarping by, but then pa fell ill. He couldn't keep working. If he couldn't work, then we couldn't pay. We sold off whatever we could. But after they took their latest 'tax' we didn't have anything left. We were next, and no one was going to help us.

Desperate times, right?

See, there was this old temple nearby. A two day hike through the woods. No one went there. They say a red monster lived in the ruins, who'd kill anyone who dared to disturb the shrine. But they also said that there was a sword there. I though, if I could get that sword, I could fight off the bandits! I could protect my family! So I grabbed what little food we could spare, and I marched off into those woods. I didn't tell my family what I was doing. I thought they'd stop me. Honestly, I wanted them too. It was the furthest I'd ever been from the village. But I kept going. I mean, I had no idea WHERE I was going. But somehow I stumbled onto the temple.

There it was. The sword. I walked up and grabbed it.

Yeah... that was dumb.

quote:

How did you escape from them?

I didn't understand what was happening at first. I felt... so aware, but so detached. Like I was watching everything through crystal clear water. There was this voice. In my head. Everywhere around me.

*"Kill"*

I drowned in it, it was power unlike anything I'd ever felt. It was terrifying. I thought I'd died.

*I said I was sorry*

I woke up maybe a week later. With that old man standing over me. He seemed pleased to see me awake. I could hear another voice, but I couldn't see who was talking. They told me I'd passed the test. I'd proven myself worthy. Worthy of the sword. It was alive, a living cursed blade. Whoever it chose was the only one who could wield it, until it chose another. The old monk was the last barer. Now it was me. But I was just a dumb farm girl, so I still had no idea what was going on.

Then the sword spoke to me again.

The sword talks.

*I have a name you know.*

THE SWORD TALKS

Sorry, sorry, that just... still freaks me out. Where was I? Oh, oh yeah. So, I get the full run down. Swords alive. There's some kind of magic lost to time keeping a soul in there. No one knows where it came from, it just fell from the sky one day. Whoever wields the blade becomes the red knight. Yeah, that monster. It's the sword. Now I'm chosen, it'll never leave me. I could drop this thing in a river, and walk away and it would follow me. I could throw it out of that window and it would come back to me. I can reach out my hand and it'll jump to it. When it's time to crack skulls, it fills me with this strength, and speed, and I can't even believe it's me doing the fighting...! Pretty terrifying, right?

I loving love it!

I marched back home. I stopped the bandits. Beat them senseless. I basked in my victory! I'd done it! I'd saved the day. I could go back to being a farmer! But I... I didn't want to. I- you can't give up on something like this. It fills you. So I took some of the gold for myself. Made my way out of there. Looking for adventure, thrills, excitement! The Sword-

*Ahem.*

Er, sorry. The Pater gladii destricti. (I call him, Pater) keeps talking about how he's not the only weapon like him, and that there are others and they're all destined to fight... something. But most of it doesn't make much sense to me. Partly because he keeps talking in another language, and I don't understand a word he's saying. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

quote:

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

That would be Knight Selza de Valorous - The Princess of Alvastaza!

The banished daughter of a far off land, she stole the royal shield and fled with 100 soldiers. They abandoned her one by one, until only she remained. Martching across the wilderness. She grew cold, hard, tough. By the time she made it to the next country, she'd blitzed her way through two different raider tribes. By the time she crossed the ocean, she'd taken on an army of giants and made them flee. Giants. Flee. Have you ever heard of such a thing? By the time she arrived here, the round table showed out in force to greet her. They said she looked at their whole assembled might, and told them to get her a beer.

She is totally my hero!

Her shield has got some kinda magic going on with it. Nothing's ever shifted her. They say it's an Old-World Relic. But it looks like a battered old brass shield to me. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she was just too tough to move. Despite everything, she's actually really proper when she puts the shield down. Like she never really stopped being a princess. Honestly, I'm kinda glad of it. I'd be totally lost in how to handle city life. But she knows what to wear, how to speak, how to act. Plus, if you get on her bad side, she'll choke slam you hard enough to black out. Don't mess with the Princess of Alvastaza.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm honestly not to keen on being known as a murder demon roaming the world lead by a talking sword to slaughter all before me... I've been brought up on the stories of heroes, adventurers, knights and princesses and castles! I wanted nothing more then to be in one of those stories! Now I am! I'm a mighty knight! Defender of the people! It's amazing! It's everything I've ever dreamed about.

Well, here's the catch. The sword is cursed. When it's drawn, it can't be put away until it tastes blood. Doesn't matter who's, or how much of it. Honestly, I don't want to kill anyone, so I'm trying to use my blood. But that really really really hurts. So I just try not to draw it in the first place. Someone else seemed to have had the same idea. They've put a lock on the scabbard. So I can batter people around the head with it. But that limits the raw power this thing's capable of!

So I've got to be careful when I'm fighting. I've got to try and reign myself in. I'm not a murderer!

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Well... I mean... Uh, they're good people. They forgive the fact I'm just a present girl. In a place like this, where I'm surrounded by royalty and Knights, and scholars. It's intimidating! I'm just some farmy with a talking bloody sword. They treat me as an equal. ME! And that means a lot.

quote:

How did you get inducted into the Order of the Round Table?

..................Can, Can I not talk about it?

*You're going to need to talk about it.*

I really don't want to talk about it

*LILLY*

ALRIGHT! FINE!

I might have punched Knight Sub-Commander Hylian Gallant.

quote:

Which one of the Knights (or Squires) took notice of you?

Actually quite a lot of them. Reallyyyy quickly...

Okay, okay, start at the beginning.

I rolled into town, looking to right wrongs, and punch some bad guys. I'd always been told cities were hives of scum and villainy. So I was expecting to walk down the street and get mobbed. I wasn't ready for how quiet it was. Okay, I'd heard about some fighting, but I was always too late to join in! Ugh, so annoying! So I decided that I could totally pretend to be a weak little girl, walk into a bad part of town and wait for the bad guys to try and rob me. It was foolproof.

Well, I wandered in. And oh god yeah I got all the attention I wanted. Pity I'd actually walked right into the base of one of the biggest crime groups in the city. So I'm punching men, I'm punching women, I'm doing a great job! Then some guy in armour grabbed me. Telling me to stand down. So I... hit... him.

Yeah... him.

He didn't like that. I mean, after they pinned me down and made clear who they were, I full on apologised for not recognising the knights, and explained that I was only trying to do good and fight evil. They made me clean the whole place up, and then put me in the training program. With strict instructions to NEVER do that again. I also have to buff the Knight Commander's armour. Every night for a year.

quote:

(optional) Suggest a thread title.

Fantasy-Masks: It's going to be one of those Knights

quote:

Name: Lilly Vale
Hero Name: The Red Errant
Playbook: The Bull
Looks: Female, Indigenous, casual clothing, memorable costume,

Abilities:

Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting. Decide how each of those abilities manifests.

It's the sword. When I wield it, the soul within fills me. Changes me. It's him fighting, the thing in the sword, I mean. I'm just the vessel through which he...we...? "I" deliver beat downs to bad guys. But gods, it feels amazing. It covers me in this striking red armour too!

Labels

Freak: +1
Danger: +2
Savior: -1
Superior: +1
Mundane: +0

Moves

You’ve got a head you don’t need:
When you provoke someone with obvious threats and shows of force, roll + Danger instead of + Superior.

In a china shop:
When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love: Sentinel
Rival: Vane

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Other Moves

Unstoppable:
When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll + Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM’s choice.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool

When our team first came together...

Moment of Truth

This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Relationships

_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence

You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Right, made those edits.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Red Errant

She laughs out heartily. "I expected someone taller." she quips, almost as if an in-joke only she understands. "Have you told anyone yet? ... no, nevermind. That question's boring. Feel free to ignore it."

Pondering for a few seconds, she continues. "Ah, here's a good one. Have you ever given some thought as to the real reason of your village's plight? After all, no knight in shining armor ever came to your rescue, did they?" she says, faking thinking really hard. "It's almost like we had a warrior class with very high influence and power in the kingdom... oh, never mind. I'm just talking crazy again."

After your response, she turns to the next person with the widest grin she's sported so far.

Lilly crossed her crimson arms and stared back at the loony spellcaster. Beneath her armoured visage she was struggling to work out exactly what the woman was actually on about. Told anyone what? Her follow up question wasn't really a question, so much as an attempt to poke an angry bear for shits and giggles. Did she really think...?

"Stick to telling fortunes. Subtlety isn't your strong suit." Lilly said flatly. "We live within a vassal system. Villages and their land are owned by a local noble or collections of nobles. It is to them that we really on for protection. But if the noble is unwilling to protect the village, it's at the mercy of anyone who wants to profit. Obviously our village was abandoned by our noble. It's not surprising, If it was one of his more valuable lands, then he would have matched on the bandits in a heart beat. Even so, I don't know 'why' we were left to the bandits. Far as I know, we'd not done anything to anger him. Our previous tithe was far more then needed, even with the additional lost from the taxes to the bandits."

"What we were really hoping for, was that a wanderer would arrive at the village and we could barter with them to take action to clear out the bandits. Travelling heroes or questing knights aren't exactly uncommon. If a village can't call on it's noble for defence, then they look for a questing knight to sort the problem out. Clearly that didn't happen. So I sorted it out myself." Lilly gestured, like this outcome was common sense. "I'd dearly like a chance to find out why from the noble himself as to why we were abandoned. But I'm under strict instructions to not start poo poo with anyone in the Royal Court. So instead, I just have to wait for the idiot to put his foot out of line. And also to find out who our noble is... But when I do! Ohhhhhhh, I'm going to 'talk to him'. I'm going to 'talk to him' so hard."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Red Errant

"Oh, that is certainly true that I care little about subtlety. However, it doesn't appear to be your forte, either." she replies, the grin resurfacing with little trace of her good mood from earlier. "I do have to admit, you actually surprised me, as rare as that is. I'm not sure what I'm more surprised of, though - the fact that you don't even know the name of the noble you are paying taxes to, or that you would show your hostility towards him so brazenly."

She closes her eyes for a second. "But, remote villages such as yours usually have defenses to ward off bandits like that. Did you ever figure out who betrayed your village?" Nirian asks, bluntly. Were you even aware of that fact?

With a downright offended expression, Nirian continues. "Also, I do not read fortunes, shorty. That is something charlatans do. Besides, is it not true that this power isn't even your own? Your arrogance seems to rise several notches once you don that armor. Try to not let this be your ondoing, will you. After all, the reason you took up the sword is because you care, isn't it? Do try not to forget about it."

Lilly looked away like she couldn't care. Her expression unreadable. "For a self professed pacifist, you seem awfully keen to get punched in the face..."

Beneath the armour though? She was sweating. Betrayed? Defences? Why was she never told about these things? Where were they when the bandits moved it? The only explanation was that they'd been removed, and the bandits had moved in. Maybe they were moved in BY their noble. It wasn't impossible. Her father had always tried to keep her away from the village centre whenever the nobles did come to visit. She'd heard there'd been trouble on one visit. But no one would tell her what! Was it her fault they kept her in the dark?! If only her father hadn't been so stubborn to protect her!

Then there was the fact her power wasn't her own. Yet it was. It affected her, how she thought, how she fought. If she was honest with herself, it scared her a little. She wasn't nearly so confrontational outside the armour, when she wasn't holding the sword. But when she held the sword....! She felt unstoppable! Invincible! Always ready for a fight. Always ready to fight the good fight. She didn't want to dislike this girl. But the sword, Pater, felt different. It was hard to remove herself of the blade's thoughts, especially like this.

And so what if she was short? She was young, she had time to grow! She wasn't like this old woman who was clearly already past her prime! Ah! Dammit Pater! Stop messing around! It was hard enough to think nice things about this woman without the weapon's interjecting.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

quote:

When our team first came together... We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

TBC

Relationships

quote:

Sentinel is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Maybe it's the whole, we both have or powers supplied by our gear. But he seems to accept me. Yeah, he was as shocked as the rest of them when it came for the big revel. But he's never talked down to me. Always been fare, and he's really really easy on the eyes. Ohhh, there was this one time, where I was trying to practice without swinging around the sword. But I'm honestly pretty hopeless. I kicked my own foot from out under me, and he just caught me.... the sunlight framed his face, his hair moved by the breeze, his eyes, and that smile...! You couldn't have gotten more story book. Ahh, I'm blushing just thinking about it...!

quote:

Vain is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

This is the guy! Well... the son of the guy! The guy who left our village to the bandits! I hate him! I hate his stupid face, and his smile, and his buff shoulders... a-and his stupid pretty eyes... a-a-and his, um, AHHHGH! No! You're supposed to hate him! They're the reason your home suffered! Why'd he have to be so handsome!

quote:

Influence
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Vain
Sentinel

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 1, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ghorza is probably the safest bet. At least Red Errant won't get argumentative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Red Errant

Vane definitely, he's pretty important to Lilly's revenge plotline.
Sentinel would also be nice.

They're the only two character's who Lilly has seriously interacted with. But I've no issue with being paired with any of the others.

• Locked thread