Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

"If clothes make the man, does equipment make the hero?"

Technically, my official title is 'The Sentinel of the Southern Realms', but that's quite the mouthful for casual conversation, don't you think? I prefer to shorten it to just Sentinel outside of the most formal of occasions. Calling me Pryce is also fine, of course. After all, right now I'm but a humble Page alongside the rest of my fellows. Never been much the type to throw my title around anyhow.

quote:

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

Very recently, as a matter of fact. I’ve been holding the title of Sentinel for around a month, give or take a few days. Sorry for such a rough estimate. It’s all been a bit hectic as of late, honestly speaking. First, my father suddenly sends me off to begin my knighthood with the Round Table. Then, I get a letter telling me that he’s been heavily injured in battle with some blackguard, and that he’s been deemed unfit for further combat. Finally, I get delivered the family arm and armor, freshly cleaned and pristine for my use. It was an… interesting week. I’m still somewhat in shock, to be frank. I knew I’d have to follow in my father’s footsteps eventually. I just didn’t expect it to be so soon, let alone having to handle both the title and my duties as a Page at once.

Ah, but don’t think I’m complaining. It’s an honor being named Sentinel, plus the family regalia lends me an appreciated edge in combat. I just… it’s overwhelming, is all. Wish I had more time to mentally prepare myself. Alas, life is rarely so convenient, so nothing to do but suck it up and keep going. Now that I have to impress both my father and the other Knights of the Round Table, I can’t afford to waste time moping about things outside my control.

quote:

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

That would depend on your interpretation of ‘greatest.’ My grandfather, for example, once aided in brokering a deal over the course of many months that led to a surge of prosperity in the south, and its effects are still felt even today. My father, on the other hand, drove out on his lonesome an entire… pack? of werewolves that were stalking a central city of Arwintar not so long ago. A glorious and gruesome battle, or so I have been told, from back when father was… still fit to fight. Personally, however, I have always been fond of one of the first tales of our legacy.That is to say, the tale of Philia Nysia and the Demon of Cromvalion.

For the sake of time, I shall abridge the story best as I am able. Around two centuries past, the village of Cromvalion was being terrorized by a cruel and malicious demon, who preyed upon body, mind, and souls of the villagers. Every day, one of the villagers was branded with the demon’s mark, and every night the same villager was taken. No barring of doors, no warding from evil, no attempt made was ever successful in dissuading the scoundrel from his task. Poor and out of little consequence to the realm, the village was unable to afford assistance through either coin or prestige, and seemed doomed to waste away. And so, the villagers prayed. They prayed for anyone, anything, to save them from their torment. And as if in answer, Philia Nysia came into town.

For reference, this tale comes before we earned our reputation as Sentinel, so when my ancestor suddenly arrived and claimed she was able to best this demon of theirs, the villagers were… skeptical at best. Even in their despair, the sight of this unassuming woman in travellers’ clothes did not entirely inspire confidence, and I imagine more than a few wondered if this was not another one of the demon’s tricks. But Philia Nysia was determined, and her resolve and sincerity broke through that day’s chosen mark: Victor Halder. Trusting in her words, Victor Halder bided his time until nightfall, and waited for the demon’s arrival. And when the villain finally showed himself, Philia Nysia, now adorned in the arm and armor I myself wear today, laid in ambush. And, well, you can imagine the rest. A solid thrashing was the demon given, and he was very forcibly banished from the village. Ah, and as you may have gathered from my own name, Philia and Victor eventually grew quite close after the events of that fateful day. Turns out being saved from seemingly certain death has a powerful effect on the heart.

And so, that is that. It is a simple tale, and it may not be the grandest deed that our lineage has ever done, but… it has a certain charm to it, in my opinion. A clear good against a clear evil, with a rather happy ending to top it all off. It’s rather sweet that’s how the two of them met, don’t you think? Er, ignoring all the other souls the demon took before Philia’s arrival, that is. Not to say we should forget about them, of course, just- ah, nevermind. You understand.

quote:

How does the public perceive your legacy?

Heh. Sorry, don’t think I was laughing at you. That’s just a bit of a funny question for me, and one that I’ve given a lot of thought about. For the most part, the Sentinel of the Southern Realms is a title that carries with it a positive reputation, particularly in… well, the southern reaches of the kingdom, as you’d expect. Don’t want to sound as if I’m bragging, but we get shown a great deal of respect and gratitude back home. Honestly, it’s somewhat embarrassing. I haven’t even done anything yet to earn such praise, and it’s given to me anyways. Still, it definitely leaves me with a warm feeling. Helps remind me of what I’m training for.

Not everyone’s so accepting, however, and our family has its fair share of dissenters. People who claim that the Halders only rose to prominence through sheer luck, the fortune of our ancestors happening across the enchanted equipment that I wear today. That without it, we would be nobodies, no different than your typical commoner that walks the street. And I… do not entirely disagree with these people, at least internally. Publicly, my father ignores such skeptics, and have told me to do much the same. But, are they wrong? Was it not through my family’s arm and armor that my father, and now I, was able to serve as the Sentinel of the Southern Realms? There is no shame in that, at least as I see it. Our lineage was blessed with fortune, certainly. But how easy it would have been to use that fortune to spread misfortune to others, to take rather than give back to the world. If my equipment grants me the strength to succeed, then it is my beliefs that grant me the will. There is more to being a knight, a hero, than simple power.

quote:

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a knight?

Reasons, huh…? It’s what was expected of me, I suppose. Not to say I didn’t want to become a knight of my own volition. Far from it, in fact. I’ve always respected the Round Table for what they do, and even if I wasn’t the Sentinel, I’d still have tried to become a member of their order. Maybe I wouldn’t have been as successful without all the fancy gear, but I still would have tried. Giving back to the world is important, or at least so I was raised. And, if we’re being completely truthful here, I’m not the brightest guy around. All I really know how to do is fight, and even then there’s plenty of other knights who are more skilled than I am. It’s kind of sad when I put it that way, but I’m not all that ashamed of it. Lots of folk out there can’t even say they match my level, after all. Least I can do is stand up for those who can’t stand for themselves, considering the life of luxury I’ve been born into.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Why would I not? No one exists truly alone in this world, and we all rely on each other to survive, one way or another. Besides, if just one of us alone can accomplish great deeds, imagine what the many can do together. A force of good to be reckoned with, to put an end to those who would take advantage of the weak and needy.

...And, er, personally speaking, I’ve never had a whole lot of friends my age. There was my younger sister, of course, who I love dearly. But as the Sentinel, or I suppose I should say the Sentinel’s son back then, there was always a sort of distance I couldn’t figure out how to close between myself and the others. Yet now that we’re all equals as Pages, it feels easier to connect with my fellow team members. ...At least, that’s what I believe. Hopefully, the others feel the same.

quote:

How did you get inducted into the Order of the Round Table?

Mmph. I hate to say it, but my position as the Sentinel’s son played no small role in my acceptance. They have not said as much, of course, but I will not pretend otherwise. Why else would I, who am far from the best of the candidates this year had to offer, be accepted? I even underperformed on a number of the tests, though I admit I judge only by gut instinct. It’s... a sore point for me, so I would appreciate it if we could move on. Regardless of how it was done, I’ve been made a Page, so all that I can do now is live up to the role I’ve been told to play.

quote:

Which one of the Knights (or Squires) took notice of you?

Ah, that would be Senior Knight Tyrellius Halder. Er, and to clarify, Senior Knight is his title, not a statement about grandfather’s age. Though he is undoubtedly getting up there in years, a point that several have made while politely and sometimes not so politely advising Sir Tyrellius to retire from the Round Table. He refuses every time, however, and I respect him immensely for that. Dedicated to the cause, he intends to give quite literally every minute of his remaining life to serving the realm. It is admirable of him, although I must admit that it worries me. He is an incredibly skilled fighter, certainly, but having long passed down the family armor… the thought of him in combat is concerning, to say the least.

Though I obviously have known grandfather for some time, we never had the opportunity to become well acquainted until quite recently. He was often busy with Knight’s work, and I with preparing to take up the mantle of Sentinel. But around a year ago, grandfather and I both happened to attend a formal dinner of some noble I can’t recall off the top of my head. It was, in all honesty, a rather dull occasion, and so grandfather sought me out directly during the dinner and asked if I would spare the time to chat with an old man such as himself. I obliged, obviously, out of respect and, well, out of wanting to do something more interesting. And so, we spoke. Of the kingdom, of his years as a Knight, of what I intended to do once I took up the title of Sentinel. It was… relaxing, I suppose I would put it. Grandfather has that sort of aura, the one that calms and leaves you feeling all will be right in the world. A kindly presence for a kind man. Truthfully, I was so engaged with listening to his tales and history, it makes it hard to remember what I actually said of myself. But whatever it was, it seems grandfather took me for a kindred spirit from it, and has taken a shining to me after that conversation of ours.

quote:

Details about your Legacy members?

Well, I believe I have said enough on my grandfather, but in summary he’s an honest and kind man, and one of the Senior Knights of the Round Table. I respect him, and view him as one of my role models. There are more than a few who seek him to retire from his service, something that my grandfather absolutely refuses to do.

My father, on the other hand, has very much unwillingly finished his own duties as both a Knight of the Round Table and as Sentinel after receiving his injuries from… whatever foe he received them from. He has been reluctant to say whom, for some reason. It has definitely left me curious, but father has always been one to keep secrets. That tendency of his, as well as his rather… rough demeanor at times, has earned him an unfavorable reputation among some of his fellows. It doesn’t help that his predecessor, grandfather that is, is much more open about things. Ah, not to say I buy into all of the rumors and hearsay. Such talk is nonsense. Certainly, father can be prickly at times, but he has the realm’s best interests at heart in the end.

Ah, but as for my sister. What can I say for Caroline? She is without question a very intelligent young lady, yet does not lack for martial prowess. In terms of pure skill, she is likely my superior, in fact. Ever honest and open-hearted, I suppose she takes after me in a number of ways. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say we both take after our mother. Though I must admit, she can be rather naive at times. Coming from myself, (And yes, I am aware that I am not the most… wary of individuals,) you can imagine what that means. Nevertheless, the two of use are quite close, and I am ever grateful for that. Not all families can say the same, after all.

Hm? The greatest opponent our legacy has faced, you ask? Well, I cannot say we have any such foes, I am afraid. At least not one that comes to mind. Though the Halders may have forgotten about the Demon of Cromvalion, he has not forgotten them. Banished by Philia Nysia through a liberal use of force, he was never slain, only driven away from the village. Infuriated and desperate for vengeance, the Demon has bided his time, amassing more and more power through the accumulation of souls, all the while waiting and watching for an opportunity to bring the Sentinels of the Southern Realms to ruin for what their ancestor did.

quote:

(optional) Suggest a thread title.

The Legacy posted:

Legacy Name: The Sentinel of the Southern Realms
Playbook: Legacy
Looks: Man, White, trendy clothing, predecessor's costume, no insignia

Abilities:
Divine armor, magic weaponry, mythic might, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Labels
Danger: -1
Freak: 0
Savior: +2
Superior: 0
Mundane: +2

Moves
Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move insteadof the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention

On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Words of the Past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City the kingdom of Arwintar. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):
Tyrellius Halder (Grandfather) is still active and prominent in the kingdom.
Magnus Halder (Father) is retired and quite judgmental.
Caroline Halder (Younger Sister) is the next possible member of your legacy.
The Demon of Cromvalion (Banished, but not slain, and oh so vengeful) is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.
Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

When our team first came together...

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with ______________.
You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Sentinel

"Blonde suits you, young lord." she notes smiling, despite your face being hidden beneath the helmet and this being your first meeting. And yet, you are not surprised. After all, this is the Oracle of Arwintar standing infront of you. "Now, this may surprise you, but I am not here to ask about your family, but you, yourself."

Letting that sink in, she continues. "For what reason do you really take up the blade, I wonder?" she inquires with a grin.

Again, after you reply, she turns her unreadable face to the next person.

There is a moment of surprise as the Oracle calls out the hidden color of Pryce’s hair, before he recalls just who it is he’s speaking to. Not that it was entirely a secret as such, so really she could have seen it at any of the formal affairs that he had attended in the past. Still, there was no reason to doubt her capabilities, so he didn’t. Instead, Pryce pondered over the Oracle’s question for a time, before cautiously replying with,

“I am afraid that if you are trying to imply something, Lady Nirian, then I simply do not understand what that is. My motivation is as clear as the still pool: to serve as a Knight of the Round Table is the best method for myself to assist others with the talents that I possess. Certainly, living up to grandfather’s and father’s legacy is of no small importance, but if I truly did not wish to become a Knight, then I-”

He pauses, the sentence unfinished. ‘Then I would not.’ The words he wants to say, yet refuse to come out. Pryce cocks his head, confused, as if the moment of hesitation catches him off-guard. No, not if, but it does. Realizing that the Oracle is still waiting for him to finish his reply, Pryce clears his throat before continuing.

“...Excuse me, I forgot myself. As I was saying, I am utterly sincere in my desire to do good by the kingdom, and the people that inhabit it. I may not have a mind for politics, but I am at least able with the blade, and so there is no better place for me than here, among my fellow Knights. Or Pages, as it is.”

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 29, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

quote:

"You do seem to have a good heart." she notes. "From what I've heard, you're not alone in that within your family. Your grandfather also has a great reputation. However... your father doesn't seem to have the best. You know why that is, but do you believe it?"

With a tilted head bearing the expression of someone expecting something amusing to happen soon, Nirian awaits your answer almost a bit too eagerly..

Even fully adorned in his armor as he is, Pryce very visibly stiffens as the Oracle speaks again, and there is an undeniable edge to his voice as he near silently replies,

“I… see how you have earned your reputation, my lady.”

It is, for him, a biting statement. But just as quickly as it comes, it vanishes, or at least it does so on the surface level. What follows is eerily steady in tone, almost entirely flat or deadpan, as if the words spoken have been spoken before. Practiced, recited, prepared even. It is, after all, not the first time that his father’s character has been called into question. Merely the first time that it has been done so directly.

“I shall not deny that compared to my grandfather, my father’s reputation is… doubted, yes. And I will not pretend that I understand all of his reasoning, nor his methods. However, what occurred to Squire Maxwell was an unfortunate accident. Nothing more, and nothing less. Those who claim otherwise slander our family’s name, and are cowards who strike with false rumors alone, for that is all they have as weapons.”

He draws back, finished with his words, at least the ones he will speak openly. But there is a seed of doubt there, though whether or not Pryce recognizes it himself is left for question. Squire Kieran Maxwell. A talented young man with great promise, and from whom all those of the Round Table expected deeds of perhaps even legend. Yet, the young Squire’s life was cut all too short, having been unexpectedly slain in battle during a raid on a bandit stronghold. It was the talk of many a circle for some time, as considering Maxwell’s prowess, it seemed odd for him to fall to mere brigands. And so, eyes and ears turned to the Knight he was assigned to at the time… of course, that was Magnus Halder. The previous Sentinel. Some claim that Magnus left the Squire outnumbered, while others went as far as to claim that he slew the young Maxwell personally in a fit of jealousy. All of it was nonsense, Pryce knew… yet even he couldn’t help but find it odd, deep down.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

When our team first came together...

quote:

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

quote:

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Gateway.

You trust Matakite and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Fluff to come later!

Influence

quote:

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Other Relationships

Red Errant posted:

Sentinel is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Lord Vane Drake posted:

You’ve got to prove yourself to Sentinel before you feel like a real knight.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 3, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Well, Vane Drake already seems interested in giving orders, so who am I to argue? :v: In-character, Sentinel has little interest in leading unless he's volunteered, so he's fine with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Also think Vane and Red Errant make the most sense for Sentinel, no particular thoughts on a third.

• Locked thread