Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome

Transformed in progress!

EDIT: And done:

(image source)

Lady Fury, the Transformed

quote:

Who were you before?

The same person I am now! It's only... a situation. An occurrence. An inconvenience. A problem. A... ah, just a moment.

... Ah. I apologize for my lapse of decorum. My name is Caecilia Lindenhall, and before my sixteenth birthday, I was being groomed to take my place at Court. My father is Joseph Lindenhall, Baron of Stormhold: not such a mighty barony in and of itself, but there are a half-dozen more Barons and Baronesses among my father's siblings and cousins, and at least one Duke besides. We're a large family, and we have a knack for making good marriages. I was supposed to go to Court, find a suitable husband of the appropriate position in the world, and build my own household. I was quite looking forward to it, in fact.

I've never had very good luck with things I hope for. I really ought to have known something would happen.

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

As I prepared myself for the celebration on my sixteenth birthday, I noticed the first signs: scaly skin on my legs, feathers on my arms, a certain pointedness of my ears. I didn't think much of it -- I had a lovely party, thank goodness -- but over the next few weeks, things began to move quickly. My parents banished me to my bedchamber after two weeks and began to send for healers and curse-breakers. Every one of them was useless, but one of the better ones finally told my parents the truth: that it had been too late when I'd first seen the signs, and that a monster's blood-curse couldn't be stopped by any force my parents could afford.

It was then, in the pronouncement of the word "blood-curse," that my father broke down. It was his fault, he said; when he'd been making his fortune as a knight-errant, before he inherited the barony and married my mother, he'd fought and slain a harpy band that had preyed on trade caravans in the Sunspine Mountains. The eldest of the band had cursed him with her last breaths: "my daughter will be reborn in your blood," my father said. He said he never took it seriously. Beasts like that didn't really have any magic, did they? So he continued on, and then he married and had all his brave sons and dutiful daughters, and here I am. Just like this.

I love my father, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to forgive him.

quote:

Who, outside the team, is helping you understand your new body?

Once we knew the truth, my father sent for my great-uncle, Magus Thomas Lindenhall, of the Imperial Academy of Thaumaturgy. He's something of an expert in unorthodox transformative magic, and he lived in the Sunspines for a while, so he knows a bit about harpies. He's been a great help, believe me, although there's very little even he can do. He tells me that reversal spells do exist, but that they'd have to trace the full extent of the curse, and there's no telling whether I'll ever be completely human again. But if there's any hope... that's a reason to rise to knighthood, isn't it? Having my case heard by the finest, as a worthy recipient?

quote:

Why don't you just try to hide yourself away?

... and then there's the other thing that Magus Thomas told me.

Blood-curses are pernicious, he says. I'm the manifestation of it, but it's not just in me; it's in all of my father's blood, and perhaps in his siblings' as well, or anyone else who's sworn kinship to him. (It's magic, I suppose?) He's already having the Imperial Academy root it out in my brothers and sisters, to stop whatever's there before they marry and spread it, but if they can't demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that the curse isn't a threat -- which means I'm not a threat -- everyone affected will be exiled or put to the sword. If I try to hide, I'll be found, and...

And I'm not sure I could hide, anyway. Ever since I changed, I can't stand to be pent up. It makes me... angry, restless. It's not as if I can fly, but I have to be free, and something in me wants this violence. I, I just hope that this can keep it all in balance.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

I... this is a secret, although I doubt I hide it very well, but... I just can't stand being lonely. I never have been before all this began. There were always my brothers and sisters, and the friends I made when we'd winter in Arklan, and of course I was preparing to be married and have a family of my own. There was simply no chance I would have to live life alone. And now... none of that preparation matters. Those I cared for are gone. I doubt I'll ever go home, or be visited, or be loved, even if -- when I have my seat at the Table. It's a great burden, sometimes.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not giving up. I don't intend to fail, not with my family's reputation and my own life hanging in the balance. But I need someone to rely on, and... most days, my fellow Pages are enough.

quote:

Hero Name: Lady Fury

Look: Woman, White, Piercing Eyes, Scaled Feathered Flesh, Strange Costume
Abilities:

Superhuman Senses: Lady Fury's cursed harpy form grants her the keen sight of a raptor, as well as sharpened hearing using her animalistic ears and a keen sense for magnetic direction and wind currents. These are deep, instinctual senses, capable of confusing or frightening Lady Fury herself.
Inhuman Might: While Lady Fury's birdlike frame may seem delicate, it holds an immense and terrible strength, aided by sharp talons and a ferocious anger in the heat of battle, and more durability than one might expect.

Labels
Freak +3
Danger +2
Savior 0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves

Coming For You
When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Not Human Enough
When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Wish I Could Be
When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think youíre losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

When Our Team First Came Together...
We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence
You try not to care what other people think, even if you canít shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Thread Questions:

quote:

How did you get inducted into the Order of the Round Table?

Like I said, my family is large and well-connected, and when something like... what's happened to me... happens, a great many of them are willing to be helpful. Several of my relatives pulled strings to offer me a chance at a pageship, and I performed quite well at the tests of strength -- this body can do some things right, at least. My family is counting on me to vindicate myself; at least they were able to get me somewhere I might be able to do it.

quote:

Which one of the Knights (or Squires) took notice of you?

Squire Francesca de Zora oversaw my initial combat tests, and she recommended me personally to her commanding Knight, Sir Ferdinando de la Fonseca. He's a jolly sort of fellow and thinks that I'm quite... interesting? Amusing? He's the one that started calling me "Lady Fury." It stings a bit, but he's kind to me under it, and I can't afford to refuse kindness.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at Mar 23, 2017 around 06:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Fury

"Oh dear, that's quite the predicament you got into, at no fault of your own., Lady Lindenhall. Or is it Lady Fury now?" she wonders, still grinning. "But I feel like that would have been preventable. I heard there's, like, some sort of Oracle your father could have consulted after a certain incident with a harpy to prevent all this. But then again, she's probably just a fraud. Do you think he should have consulted that oracle? No, I don't want to know your opinion of right now. What would your own decision have been, back in the day, if you were him?"

Nirian laughs out loud as she turns to the next interviewee after your response. "Just try not to take it too hard. We're all monsters on the inside, aren't we?"

Lady Fury averts her eyes, in what might pass for decorum were there not a surprised flicker of anger in her face. "You don't have to tell me about what a fool my father was. I know. I know, and there's no going back from it. If it had been me?" She looks up again, and there's some honest conflict in her eyes now, in the place of simple anger. "I want to say that I'd have consulted everyone I could. I was raised to be fastidious about things, to care about details, in a way my father never has. But -- if I really were my father, back then? I probably wouldn't have thought of it either. His knight-errant days were, by all accounts, simple and happy. Uncomplicated. He never really had to think. I can't say that I would have been better, or that I necessarily was better, back when things were uncomplicated for me too."

There's another long pause, another averted gaze. "... I have to believe that people are good. There has to be something worth fighting for, worth living for, in this world, or... why go on at all?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Fury

"You gave a very mature and thought out answer, Lady Lindenhall. It shows that your appearance has not changed who you truly are. I approve." Nirian praises you for your answer. "But, I ca-- ... no, nevermind." she starts to add, but quickly stops herself.

"Please forgive that blunder. Instead, wouldn't you say that your new form has been proving surprisingly useful? There's already a lot of good you've done you'd never would have been able to do as your old self, is there not?" she asks you, with a more genuine smile than usual.

"That's very kind of you to say." This rather bland pleasantry is delivered with a surprising level of conviction, and Lady Fury chances eye contact again; it would seem she's quite surprised by the praise. "... ah? If there's something you need to ask me, you can ask me. I understand that you can't always be completely kind."

That said, she seems quite happy enough to answer the question that the Oracle actually asks, instead of whatever question or statement was left unsaid. "Oh, yes, there was one particular incident, not long after I arrived in Arklan -- the fire in the Sage's Spire, if you remember? There was some sort of alchemical accident, and one of the upper laboratories was in flames, with students trapped inside. I... I didn't do it on my own, of course -- there were many of the Order there, and I was hardly the hero of the day -- but I was able to glide from the windows to the ground while carrying a few of the smaller students, one at a time. It would have been handier if I could properly fly; I can't, yet. But these clumsy wings still did some good."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

(oh geez I'm so late)

My Relationships:

quote:

Marcus comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

For the previous acquaintance, maybe Vane or Sentinel? Open for this one -- we can make whatever work.

It looks like most of the others are sewn up (I'm too late), but I'm open to either of Matakite's relationships, if you'd like? Maybe more the second; Lady Fury is probably not a great heroic role model at present, unless you're into really angry combat and subsequent sulking.

Influence:

quote:

You try not to care what other people think, even if you canít shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Probably Marcus, but let's see how the other relationships hash out.

When The Team First Came Together...

quote:

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I feel like a jackass about breaking a tie, but Vane Drake seems like the logical leader candidate. (Sorry, Ghorza. You're cool too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Marcus and Ghorza come to mind, but I'm generally flexible. Is it possible for the teams to recombine at various points for character interactions and such, or is this a "never the twain shall meet" thing?

• Locked thread