Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Corporal Ors Calveit

Yeah, I know I'm not exactly whom you'd expect here. You pompous lot lets me know every drat day, thank you very much. All you brats acting like you're the bloody knights already and I'm wondering if any of ye even drew their sword outside your little marble playground. I've seen dozens kids like you, hell, I commanded them. Saw them come, saw them die, saw them dragged through mud and desert, even had to put one's guts back in with my own hands. What I'm getting at is, you may yawn at the lectures of Karkadann's and Efreets, but it's daily life for the Tabriz garrison. Week after week of making sure folks can sleep at night when the Knights are gone.

The medal? Means more than you'll ever achieve, son. Led the rescue when Lady de Nazair got ambushed in the Amojjar Pass. Yeah, you heard that right. 'Us', common folk, saving a knight. A good woman and a good warrior, but these thing are just part of military life. No shame in that. Don't worry, you'll learn that eventually. Anyhow, made Arwintar real proud that day. Received the honors and was meant to get captaincy the second Lord General signs the papers, but the good Lady said I'm destined to bigger things and offered me a shot at knighthood.

And being the oaf I am, I accepted. Was supposed to blast through the squiredom in a year or two, pay lip service to tradition, get the lay of the land... Well, it turned out apparently the Order isn't a place for men unafraid to have opinions and now I'm stuck with you lot. Could've been a captain by now and I'm back herding rookies again.

And it's Corporal to you, kid. I'm still an officer.

I envision Calveit as somewhat older than expected from pages/Masks, yet, for all the differences, on the very same path of self-discovery. The rules-breaking is of course scoffing at the Code of the Round Table in favor of military practicality.

How did you get your powers?
In blood, sweat, and tears, kiddo. Though I wouldn't be halfway where I am now if it wasn't for my old sergeant Pitcairn. The man took the dumb young boy I was and forged it into a man that stands before you. And, more importantly, taught me the army really can be your family if you let it be one.

What do you do for fun?
Drink wine and play cards, mostly. Could show you some neat tricks if you want to.

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
The wise man Marvin, obviously. And it is a true honor - the only person I know that might outsmart our very own Lord General. But I never said that last part out loud, understood? Anyhow, he's the sole voice of reason in this place. He knows how life really works. How things look outside these ivory towers. Really, by this point my main drive for a seat by the table is for the old man to have one less oaf to argue with.
While Ors is convinced he's a victim of a courtly intrigue spun by arrogant knights, in fact it is the wizard Marvin that pulled a Mr. Miyagi on him and "grounded" him among the pages to teach humility, power of friendship, knightly conduct and all those things really stopping Ors from becoming a true hero of Arwintar.

Why do you try to be a hero?
Hell, name me a boy in this kingdom who doesn't want to be a Knight when he grows up. Tried the best next thing and I joined the army.

Why do you care about the team?
I'm an officer. That's what I do. Protect the recruits until one they they are able to save another son of Arwintar themselves. Always stick for each other, no matter the odds.

Sometimes I wonder if civilian folks, the kind who had the time to settle down, marry a nice girl and make a couple kids... If they truly know what a family is.

When our team first came together... We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?
TBD, want to get a bit more feel about our setting-to-come.

quote:

Playbook: Delinquent

Labels:
Danger: +1
Freak: 0
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

Abilities: illusions maskirovka, gadgetry and hacking
Ors doesn't actually have any supernatural abilities, magickal nor divine. Rather, he's just the kind of the amazing soldier that leaves you in disbelief when featured in some Internet listicle. Think (earlier) Rambo crossed with McGyver.

Moves:
I don’t care what you think!:
Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.

Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal dishonorable, or rule-breaking un-knightly actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well then ch-ch-check out my sweet new remix. *scratches vinyls*

Ors Calveit

Jan Ors has been cursed to 'bring end to the Round Table'. He really hopes it doesn't mean exploding when touched by Prince Kalas.

He knew that fateful day was rotten from the get go. His father, a proud officer of the Tabriz keep, took a leave to spend some time together - fence, visit the town, maybe take a horse ride southward - yet was recalled last minute to go on a rescue - Lady de Nazair, one of the Knights, and her entourage got ambushed in the Ajjar pass in the blightlands en route to one of the eastern lands.

The men eventually returned, with a prisoner to boot - an emerald-clad dark haired man, who commanded a real Efreet as if it was his dog! - yet even though everyone made it back and the Lady clinged to life despite her wounds, the whole company was grim and silent. Apart from sergeant Leuw perhaps, but even he made his best to suppress his seething anger. Ors had never seen the fine swords of Tabriz so... Resigned to their fate.

Father took young Ors to the prisoner, who performed some intricate sorceries on the boy. "You, my dear," the man explained to the boy, scared and confused by the situation, "are to bite the tail off the Ouroboros that is the Round Table." He was not the kind of man to invite protestations and so Ors had only managed to meekly ask of his fate. "Oh, you don't have to do anything, young boy," the man assured him with a devilish smile. "Just study well, respect your superiors, and you'll never have to worry about your dear friends."

A few days later, Calveit was spared the avoidant gazes and evasive answers by arrival of summons to the Order itself, the boy having been 'selected for his commendable conduct and magickal aptitude'. Which was one polite way of saying poo poo began to happen when Ors got angry or scared at his situation. The annoying fly swatted itself against the wall. His body... Did things. And most terrifyingly of all, he saw a messenger bird wither and die at his mere touch.

And here he is now, within the marble halls of the Order, living every Arwinter boy's dream. And yet, deathly afraid. Afraid of what's happening to him, afraid what is going on back in Tabriz, afraid of dying in ingominy the second news of him being a pawn in some grand scheme reach the Crown Prince. Yet perhaps, with the vast knowledge held by the Knights, if he puts his back to it, then maybe - maybe - he'll be able to figure out this whole mess before it's too late.

Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?
Finding Lady de Nazair is my best bet right know. Wherever she is now, whatever she does, she knows what happened in that God-forsaken pass.

Which one of the Knights (or Squires) took notice of you?
The very high wizard Marvin Zolim himself! Once, he came over to watch us pages train and he just kept staring at me with these sad, old eyes and I was so afraid he saw right through me and understood everything and I'm about to end like all traitors to the Crown do, but he just sighed and said 'you'll do fine, boy' in that soft voice he always has. I'm still not sure what to think of that encounter.

Why does the team matter to you?
poo poo, whom else have I got for help? Besides, they're new to the Order too, have their own perspectives. Maybe if they get to know me a bit, they'll be willing to help with my predicament, rather than rat me out to the higher-ups.

quote:

Playbook: the Doomed

Labels:
Danger: +1
Freak: +2
Savior: +1
Superior: -1
Mundane: 0

Abilities: body transmutation, telekinesis, vitality absorption

Doom: frightening loved ones, talking about it openly

Nemezis: the dark forces plotting the downfall of the Order - and more importantly, the wicked man that left the stalwarts of Tabriz garrison powerless to let him do this to me.
I'm keeping it a bit vague, because I'd rather discover the details together in play myself. Hopefully left enough breadcrumbs so we have a decent yarn to spin.

Sanctuary:a library of ancient tomes, a scattering of ancient relics, art, music and food.
Downsides: tied intricately to your doom, location known to many.
Ors has been given keys to the house of one Balthazar Krepps by his 'benefactor'. Housekeeping the lavish townhouse for the wealthy merchant - apparently gone on a trade mission to the Eastern Kingdoms - is a dream come true to the young Ors. And while at first he mostly considered it a really cool place to invite a girl over, he soon discovered Mr. Krepps kept quite a big and quite interesting library in his study room. Very different from the one available at Arklan.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey Yami, I think I'll bow out after all, as I got thinking of some other RPG ideas of my own.

• Locked thread