Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

”The Wandijana are chosen by Maka, the god beneath the world, to serve as a bulwark against the dangers of the twenty-three worlds. They are free to step between the planes, to find threats from the burning skies to Night’s Gate, to step through the mad city of Worldport, and act as Maka’s hand in the preservation of our fragile sphere…”

- Sir Meinrad, Royal Court Scholar overseeing The 7th Library, The Library of Esoteria

Twenty-three worlds? I can barely deal with this world most of the time. Pretty sure that Maka is a myth, I mean, what kind of god doesn’t have a temple? Even if she does exist, it’s not like she asked to give me this power. And now, I have to go and join some order of knights to learn “humility and control” just because I… look, it doesn’t matter, it’s not fair. I mean, Harvesthall is only two weeks away! There’s dancing and decorations and spicecakes and they won’t even wait? This is the worst.

I don’t want to shame my family, I’ll put on a brave face, but between you and me? This stinks.

When did you first use your powers?

Sometimes I got lost in strange ways when I was young, or talk to things nobody else could see, or dreamed of strange places… but my parents didn’t take it seriously, of course. At least until destroyed the kitchen when I made it into a tiny Pyrerealm. I don’t even remember what I was angry about. Mostly I just remember how scared my parents looked. I didn’t mean to do anything! But I keep getting treated like I did. Mother never really understood magic. I mean, she tried really hard, but... dad didn't know what to do, I think, other than try and teach me through stories.

They brought in the local mage guildmeister to the chateau... and… well, he got the same look on his face. I don’t know what he said to my parents, but I think they paid him a lot of money to try and tutor me...to

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

… but I had a really hard time. They tried to bind my magic at first with sigils, but it didn’t work. The wards just kind of fell apart like wet leaves because all the power was coming from inside. And trying to train me to do normal chants was like trying to teach a behemoth to do calligraphy. Storms were easy - a spark was hard! It's really hard for me to do regular spells. It’s like my power just wants to take over. Instead of a spark, I tended up making a stormlight that shocked my teacher and almost burned the guildhall down.

I… um.... I didn’t mean to... you know that, right?... do you have other questions?

Who, outside the team, can help you control your powers?

Well, there’s Ketill.

He found me on behalf of the Round Table after they heard about the accident at the guildhall - though he’s not a member - and helped me out a lot. He’s the one that told me about the Wandijana myth, and tried to tell me I was special. I don’t know about that, but it’s like things are calmer around him, like I’ve got somebody helping me keep my balance. Still, there’s something in his eyes, like… he’s looking over his shoulder. He doesn’t stick around for very long - I wish he would let me go with him, to teach me more, but he keeps saying that’s a very bad idea. Well, so is me not being able to control my powers! Ugh!

Why do you continue to use your powers?

I can’t… not use my powers. It’s like asking somebody why they use their arms or hands, even though arms or hands can do some really dangerous things. Like Ketill says, if I don’t practice them it won’t get any better. I’m learning not to be afraid, I’m getting better. It’s even kind of fun now, some of the tricks I can do. Like, I can bring up a shard of the Aerrealm and float, or sit on a cloud. I can summon fundamentals to help out around the quarters. (They're fun, also elementals.) I can once got a feather from the Seven Heavens. But I have to be careful, it’s like trying to fill a thimble from a bucket, and I have to keep some focus or… well, I can’t think about that. I can’t think about that. It falls apart if I’m afraid, so I can’t be afraid anymore. It's my power, it's mine to control. It's mine. My power. Mine. Me. Mine. Focus.

Nnnngh I’m doing so much better! Why do I have to go away?!

Why do you care about the team?

Back home, my family was parvenu nobility, not noble blood. My mother had been given a title thanks to her research in the natural sciences and inventions, and… you end up between. Blooded nobles don’t like us because we’re upstarts and a lot of common folk see us as fakers, too. But the other pages don’t know that here. So it’s like getting to start over. I still want to be home, but… I mean… but I’m not going to be stuck here and lonely. None of them know what I can do, and they don’t have to. All I have to do is keep control! That… sounds easy enough… right? I just need confidence, a good smile, and no freakouts.

I mean, it's a new chance not to make the same mistakes. I'm so much better and people don't need to know how I screwed up.

How did you get inducted into the Order of the Round Table?

I guess Ketill spoke to the Sage Zolim and convinced him to put in an invite for me… though I get the impression they actually don’t get along so well. Something in the way they say each other’s names. But my parents agreed without even asking me! It’s like they want to get rid of me! Well, fine.

Anyway, I guess Ketill is going away for a long time and wouldn’t be around to look after me, but I’m still trying to practice normal spells like he taught, just to try and help my control. I’ve been trying to work with a spellbook again, it’s like trying to focus my magic into a tiny bottle. Sometimes the bottle breaks, but I’m trying. I’m trying so hard. Why am I getting punished for this?

I'm not going to let this beat me. I'm going to show them all how far I've come, they won't even recognize me when I come home!

Which one of the Knights (or Squires) took notice of you?

Sir Enguerrand (the “Pale Fire”, ugh) looks at me like I’ve done… something… I know that look, I’ve seen it too much. He kept asking me about a contract and just giving me that look again when I tell him I don’t know anything! He keeps dragging me out for extra practice or patrols and I hate him. I guess he may be some big hero but to me he’s more like a villain. It’s like he wants me to screw up!

I didn't make a deal with a god, I was too young, I mean, I had all sorts of weird things show up in my dreams, but... I mean...

... oh sod.

pre:
Signý Amalasuintha, the Gateway

Playbook: The Nova

Freak +2	Danger +1	Savior +0	Superior +0	Mundane +0

Abilities

Planecaller: Signý can summon extraplanar matter and energy and manipulate it, though the more matter or power she
calls upon, the harder it is to shape or even direct. She can also summon beings, but with similar limitations on
control. She can also draw upon the physical laws of other planes to temporarily overwrite those of the local area, 
though this can easily cause fallout or collateral damage if done broadly.

Moves

Burn: When you charge up your powers, roll +Team. On a hit, hold 3 Burn. On a 7-9, burn a Team, or mark a condition if
you have no Team. On a miss, hold 2 Burn, and either burn 3 Team or mark two conditions.

FlaresReality Storm Planar Flux: You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 Burn to directly engage a threat
using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you
spend another Burn.

❑ Constructs Unworldly Ally: Spend up to 3 Burn to create a construct that will obey your orders. Each Burn you spend
gives the construct an additional condition it can mark, choose: Broken, Stunned, Confused, Fragile, Weakened. The
construct is only good for physical actions. When the construct would trigger a move, roll + the Burn spent in its
creation (max +3) instead of the normal Label. At the end of any scene, the construct dissipates.

❑ Move Port-cut: Spend 1 Burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any 
barriers or restraints in your way.

❑ Overcharge Dimensional Fusion: You let loose with the full torrent of your powers without restraint. Spend 1 Burn and
mark a condition to take a 10+ on unleashing your powers.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you see fear in their eyes. If they say no, take +1
forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how you think they can stop you. Give them Influence
over you, and clear a Condition.

Moment of Truth: It’s like your mind’s eye opens up, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can
control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment
of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?
Suggest a thread title.

Knight Classes. (The other ones were much, much worse.)

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Signý Amalasuintha

"My, that is a very interesting outfit you have there, Signy. Love the bunny ears, especially. I'm somewhat curious if the higher-ups are going to be alright with that, but I never really cared what they think." she notes. "So, you do planeshifting, yes? A very interesting subject matter, I find. You ever been to the spirit world? Lovely place. No humans in it to ruin the beauty of it all. Ahem."

After a brief moment of pondering, she continues. "Well, I'm a boring one-dimensional oracle, so I can't see onto the other planes. Do tell me about that misadventure you had in another plane last month, if you would?"

They're going to tell her how to dress? Signý made a face. "Oh, well, back home I thought it could be good to have something that distracted people... you know, give them something else to notice, something a little silly? Not scary?" Of course she knows, she's an Oracle, Signý admonished herself. "The Spirit World? I think I was there when I was young? For me it's just one other place, though, it kind of gets lost. Sometimes I hear spirits in places where it's quiet and wild. But I'm not supposed to wander far right now, right?"

"And I didn't go anywhere!", Signý protests instinctively before adding, "... is what I would be saying if you weren't an Oracle. Um. This is awkward!" A long pause. "I'm not good at walking, I'm better at calling. I haven't gotten to practice travelling so much, I can end up being in a place that's close to how I feel, I think? But when I heard I was being made to serve, I went to the Freelands. I mean, nobody would tell me that to do there, but... nothing makes sense there, either. There were the stars that tried to get me to join their choir, or there was sailing with shanties on the silk ship of spiders, or... there was the mask that offered to take my face in the labyrinth of mirrors. I mean. I wouldn't have to go back if I had a new face, but... it would have come in my place. I burned it with pyre when it tried to force me. I mean. I didn't choose to come, but... I'm still me. And I'm still worth being."

"It felt like more than just a few days, you get lost there without help, no place is... is. But I learned that running away would have a price, and it wouldn't just be me that paid it. Don't tell everyone, though! I'm not just walking away from this. And I don't to be put in a disjunction cell or anything. I mean, I guess you wouldn't do that, but... I'll be okay. Honest."

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 1, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Signý Amalasuintha

Nirian looks at you for a second, very confused, before visibly resigning herself.

"Okay, I understood about... none of that." she admits. "Is... is that something you deal with every day...? How does your power work? Just like, open the floodgates to some sort of other plane and hope whatever comes out work for you?"

"Oh, the Freelands don't make sense, it's... like... just... chaos and dreams.", replies Signý. "It makes more sense when you're there, like a dream does, but it doesn't after you leave. Sorry! I don't go wandering very often, it's... very dangerous. I've learned a lot more than most people know about other worlds, but there's more than any person can learn. It used to be that Ketill would take me on trips, but without him it isn't safe. I'm not sure it's safe with him. I can do short trips in an emergency, but the farther I go, the harder it is to come back.."

Shaking her head, she says, "It was that way when I was very young, but I can at least focus on a plane I know about and try and draw forth something specific. It doesn't always work... but... usually I can do it as long as it it's fairly common there. So fire from the Pyrerealm, or a could from the Aerrealm, or light from the Seven Heavens is easy, but... trying to summon a specific shade from the Grey Murk is... I can't. Like, I'm lucky to get a figment. So a stone from the Deeprealm is easy, but a gem is a lot harder and requires me to pull harder."

She lowers her voice, leaning towards the Oracle in confidentiality. "The floodgates are dangerous. I can't open them unless I know it's safe. Um... is it ever? But you know I'm not supposed to." A slight pause. "I can open two now, but I'm really not supposed to do that. That's less like a flood and more like a tornado. That's dangerous to me, too. Maybe I shouldn't have said? But, you're an Oracle, right? I mean, you'd know, so... just. I don't want people to be afraid. Don't tell anyone, please." She leans back, looking to the others. "So. That's that!", she says, putting up a confident face.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 1, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Not to Get Too Judgey But-

Ghorza Rockbiter: I've never really met an... orc. Demons, ghosts, but... I mean. Orcs. Like my dad used to read scary stories about. But I know what it's like for people to think you're frightening. So maybe that wasn't right.

Lady Fury: Oh. Um. I feel kind of bad worrying about what people think of me. I mean, she’s probably less dangerous, but gets the worse end. I mean, I think the wings are kind of pretty, but, um, I’ve always had to deal with E.P.s. Oh, that stands for ExtraPlanars.

Lord Vane Drake: Kind of... stiff, right? Just between me and you. I guess that's being a proper noble's child… my parents just bought me fancy clothes and some etiquette and dancing lessons. Don't think their heart was in it. Also, I wasn't allowed to go to dances anyway. Kind of like the balance I need to keep, but just trying not to do social harm instead of… real damage.

Marcus: A talking golem?! Will wonders never cease? I mean, they literally won’t in my experience, the worlds are full of strangeness, but it must be even stranger for him. I wonder if they brought him in for the same sorts of reasons I was, to have an eye on him? I mean, don’t tell him that...

Matakite: I don’t, what? Um. I don’t know if I can handle much more seering. But being on a boat sounds fun! Especially not one crewed by spiders- I mean, um. That was weird? I just meant it’d be fun to sail around. Forget about the spiders, okay?

Red Errant: I know what it's like keeping a lid on a can of what the hells, but I don't think she understands how dangerous it can be yet. I get how exciting it can be when you have control, but at the same time I'm a little worried she hasn't had her big freakout to learn from yet. I hope she doesn't have to.

Sentinel: He seems really nice. And pretty. And not full of airs like a lot of proper nobles. Um. Not that it's a big deal or anything, it's just, you know...

Relationships

You hang out all the time with Red Errant, to blow off steam.

You once hurt Marcus when you lost control of your powers.

Influence

If you choose happy facade, give influence to 3 teammates.

Lady Fury, Red Errant, and Sentinel.

When our team first came together…

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

This Space Reserved For...

Etc.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 4, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lord Vance Drake seems stuffy enough for that sort of thing!

Edit: Barring an Influence sheet to work out if anybody has Influence on everybody. Nevermind!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 7, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

What is our Team at right now? It's listed as +1 in the spreadsheet right now, but I wanted to make sure that's accurate.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Gateway has probably had the strongest connections with Marcus, other than that, looser connections to Ghorza and Red Errant at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Do you have a superpower to sense this kind of thing?

• Locked thread