Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Haifisch posted:

Hmmm, yes. I will.
Should this be Link's portrait, or is Shino talking to herself? Also, nice sales technique there, Shino. Real subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Commander Keene posted:

Should this be Link's portrait, or is Shino talking to herself?
You saw nothing. :ninja:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What a weird feeling it must be, having wood but nothing to spend wood on. Usually there's something out there to build until pretty late in the game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Technically I could be spending it on expanding the barn, it's just not really on my radar since I don't collect that many monsters.

This also is pretty late in the game, relatively speaking. RF3 goes by fast if you know what you're doing and are even vaguely focused on your goals. I probably could have gotten far enough in the plot to be married by mid-summer if I wasn't aiming to show off more than the bare minimum needed to see the credits roll.

Which is admitedly pretty weird pacing compared to most RF games.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Aww, you should have made a Monkey Toy instead of a Knight Shield. Show your support for Evelyn!

Loving the LP, by the way.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Haifisch posted:

This also is pretty late in the game, relatively speaking. RF3 goes by fast if you know what you're doing and are even vaguely focused on your goals. I probably could have gotten far enough in the plot to be married by mid-summer if I wasn't aiming to show off more than the bare minimum needed to see the credits roll.

Yeah, unlike Rune Factory 2, which gates half of its content behind the timeskip, and Rune Factory 4, which explicitly has three seperate "main plot" lines to get through before you're done, RF3 is pretty drat streamlined if you just rush the plotpoints. There's not too much of a postgame, either, similar to 1.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, unlike Rune Factory 2, which gates half of its content behind the timeskip, and Rune Factory 4, which explicitly has three seperate "main plot" lines to get through before you're done, RF3 is pretty drat streamlined if you just rush the plotpoints. There's not too much of a postgame, either, similar to 1.

Which is kindof nice if you're just looking for a fuckaround game. Played this one during lunch at work a few months back and it was perfect for 30m play sessions.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Bakery Quest

Music: Monster Village

Today starts like any other fall day: With a cooking grind I've kept mostly offscreen. Shoving a yam in an oven produces a roasted yam, which sells for a lot more on top of the skill grind benefit. Look at the sale price difference even with the second one being two levels lower! (No, cooking does not reduce item levels, in fact it actually increases them. I just didn't notice I screenshotted a level 9 yam in one and the product of roasting a level 6 yam in the other.)

At least I'm selling so many of them that everyone in Norad is going to be very regular now.

I don't want to talk, but this is about the only way to get new dialogue out of you, so let's do this.

Oddly, he's not in his house. Most requests for the settlement residents warp them to their tents.

Instead, he's just hanging out in the desert rain. The oddly frequent desert rain. So frequent that it's almost like the devs were to lazy to/didn't have the time to implement different weather for different dungeons, even when it doesn't make sense for them to have the same climate as town.

So I wanted to get something special for Kuruna.
A...Pre...pre...pre...
A present?
Y-Yes! I want to get her a present. Is that weird?
Not at all! I'm sure she'd like that!
R-Really?!
What are you going to get her?
A sword...wouldn't be good, right?
No.
Then what should I get her?!

Kuruna has made her opinions very clear on this matter.

Oh! Nice idea! Oh, but I can't make a cake...Link, could you make it?
Then what's the point? I'll get you the ingredients, and you do the rest.
Yeah, you're right...Okay!! I'm counting on you! Wait, what am I making?
Well...How about a chocolate cake.
Chocolate cake, OK! I bet we could find the recipe in Kuruna's room!

I'm 99% sure I know the recipe for Chocolate Cake already, but cutscenes don't give a poo poo.

*pant pant*...The recipe...I found it...It's Flour, Butter, Chocolate, and Large Milk.
You're crazy.
I'm counting on you, Link. It's Flour, Butter, Chocolate, Large Milk, OK?!
Okay. I won't let you down, Zaid!

If only Hazel knew.

I'll get milk(and an extra milk to make butter with) tomorrow, so this was all I needed. The rest of the day is spent thumb-twiddling.

I hope they bloom sometime.
Y-Yes.

He would let some strange girl like me work for him...But that's not all, he even gave me a room to stay in.
Yes. He's really a good person.

:kimchi:

You know...you're right! I'll stay here forEVER and EVER! And have my vengeance on squid!

>I'll go with you!

No, you won't. It's underwater. But I appreciate the sentiment!

Option 3 is being Mean to Pia, and is therefore not allowed.

Remember when Collette almost had character development after Blaise went "it doesn't matter how tall a chef is, where did you even get that idea from"? Yeah, me neither.

Even the game's nudging me to get married already. :saddowns:

I'm getting the impression Yue's running out of stuff to say.

He costs me a lot in repairs, not to mention the fish escaping. He's really hurting business.

Carlos that's great and all, but get the gently caress out of my doorway.

No, she doesn't. Try Flavored Radish, Dried Sardines, or Miso Eggplant instead. Or even colored grasses. But curry? Nope.

Catch fish. Fry fish. Knife fish. Repeat until you're sick of fish. Welcome to Rune Factory.

I'm so bored I actually use my sickle for something other than leveling up seeds. Using your sickle to cut grasses and weeds is kind of a waste, but it does increase Wind Magic skill slightly.

Lv10 butter. Only the finest butter to used where ingredient quality doesn't matter.

Incidentally, if I had picked the flowers option instead of sweets, I would have been stuck waiting for specific flowers to grow. gently caress that. Cake every time.

I wonder if I can do this...alone.
I'm sure you can. Even if you fail, if your feelings get across to Kuruna, that should be enough.

Also she's a huge chocoholic and cake addict. I'm pretty sure chocolate cake literally cannot fail to be a good gift for her.

Link...Heh, don't be so cheesy.
Good luck.

Oh???

Oh. Neat concept, outclassed by all my other weapons though.

He was like "what were our ancestors thinking?!" Of course, it was my work that they were looking at.
Maybe it's better he doesn't know.

I'm starting to think we should get her an oven to bake her own drat cookies and cakes.

Just forget you, uh, ever saw that! ANYWAY, I wanted to ask you something, comrade!
What do you need?
Can you make me...a Chocolate Cookie?
Kuruna...you've really got an addiction to chocolate.
Whatever! I'll eat what I want!
Okay, okay. I'll bring it for you.
R-Really?! Here's the recipe!

I'm pretty sure this is another recipe I already have, but whatever.

You're really gung-ho about this.
*cough* ...Thank you for doing this for me.
Uh, no problem!

:allears:

A chocolate cookie is pretty much what you'd expect.

I really should just keep a stock of flour and chocolate around.

The next couple hours are spent murdering cows for their milk cartons. That's how that works irl, right?

This update is making me hungry.

Music: Contest

:stare:

Kuruna?!

Sorry! I was just so...HAPPY!

Great! Have a seat, then.

Can't wait to try it!
Okay, now to pour--

What? Who's there?

Am I interrupting you two?
N-No! Of course not! It's good to see you!
No, it's fine. I can come back later. I don't want to intrude!
You're not intruding.

Nope, you definitely are. :getout:

Actually, if you want to...you can join us.
Oh, I don't want to impose! Honestly!
It's okay. I don't mind.
Well, if you insist...
Of course we do.
All righty, then! Don't mind if I do!

I'm overcompensating now, I guess.
My grandfather's strict himself. He never let me have any snacks growing up! But he lets Monica get away with anything! She does what she wants, when she wants! Can you believe that?!
Parents and grandparents can be strange like that.
Looks like you two have more in common than I thought!
Yeah, I never thought I'd have much in common with a Hornless girl.
It's a shame we couldn't have been friends sooner.
I know...Well, it's time to munch on your Chocolate Cookie!
Can I have a bite?
Everyone gets a bite!

Glad you liked it!
Sorry again to butt in.on you two. It looked like I was interrupting something!
N-N-No! Nothing at all! Just your imagination!
Heh heh.

I'd say Kuruna is the worst liar, but every character in this game is the worst liar. I blame anime tropes.

She's got a way with words sometimes!
But she was right. The Chocolate Cookie was so scrumptious!
Glad I could accommodate your sweet tooth!
Thank you so much for that! Anyway, we absolutely MUST do this again! Here's a little something to thank you!
You're welcome!

Why hello there. :stwoon:

It's kind of nuts that this is a preset quest reward. With the Proof of Wisdom equipped, Link recovers 10 RP every 2-ish seconds. RP basically doesn't matter anymore. The RP spent on morning farm chores will be replenished by the time I even think about going into a dungeon or doing mining/fishing grinds. I have no reason to ever take a bath again, and food is now only useful for grinding Eating skill and for any secondary effects from dishes(which admittedly can be pretty powerful). If I run out of RP while crafting, it's just a matter of exiting the crafting screen and hanging around for a bit to get enough back to continue.

On top of that, it has pretty good base stats, so I might not even need to swap it out for combat purposes. The main downside is seeing the RP restoration pop up every 2 seconds for the rest of the game, even when Link's RP is maxed.

Well, that and the fact that RP is kind of a non-issue past the first week or two of the game, making this more of a convenience than anything. :v: It's still a very nice convenience, mind you.

Here's what the RP restoration looks like in-game, btw.

Quick and easy way to grind status resistance skills: Eat a bunch of mushrooms. Their effects are random, and range from healing you to inflicting pretty much any status on you.

Just make sure you have some status cure potions on hand so you're not walking around paralyzed or poisoned the rest of the day. :v:

This is a really rare bug...hey, why aren't you paying attention.

In other news, Sakuya needs to up her interesting finds game.

That's it. The entire conversation. Blaise. :geno:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Surely there must be some kind of RAINBOW CURRY we can make for Daria.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Haifisch posted:

I have no reason to ever take a bath again
:ohdear:

(Does this mean you can go wild with a magic build?)

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Now that Link doesn't take baths he will never be able to marry.

Game over.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

It's rare you find a full line that could fit into almost any conversation in your entire video game, but there it is.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

hey girl you up posted:

:ohdear:

(Does this mean you can go wild with a magic build?)

Starting in RF3 you pretty much can, yeah. Since RP now scales beyond 100, and the costs scale down, you can go hog wild pretty early. That, and food can restore RP pretty well in a pinch.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Haifisch posted:

I have no reason to ever take a bath again

You say that now but when you wake up in the middle of the night to see Pia looming over you with a bucket and scrub brush you'll see the error of your ways.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Mushroom Mushroom

Music: Town (Day)

Fall's almost over. I've arbitrarily decided to start the marriage voting right before winter starts, because that's when my backlog runs out it's thematic or something.

In the meantime, Sakuya.

Remember, you gave me some of your golden wool?
Oh...
Well, the merchant I sold it to said she wanted some more. You think you could help me out again?

Link isn't a commodity! :argh:

Don't worry, it'll grow back soon. Let's get to it then.
W-Wait a minute! I need to get in the right frame of mind...
Hmmm, yeah. I guess I can't just shave you here, let's go to your place.
Wait, it's not about that...

Not once, but twice...
Don't be discouraged. Oh, that's right. Hey, how about we go on a date?
A date?

Nice, Link. I knew you'd be cool. I actually have an order for some mushrooms.
Now I get it.
Well, let's go on our date.
Okay.
To Oddward:Bamboo Cliffs! Let's go!

So romantic. :geno:

Hey, I found mushrooms already! We're done, right? No? Okay.

As usual, Sakuya's deadweight. I should probably bring villagers into dungeons more than once a never, but I just don't think about it while playing.

The Bamboo Cliffs are annoyingly deep in the dungeon.

Music: Date

You were behind us the whole time! :argh:

Honestly.
Anyway, you don't need to get any mushrooms?
Oh, that? That was a lie.
What?!
I thought it'd be nice to relax like this. Link, do you not like to do that?
No, it's not that...
It makes me pretty happy.
What?

I didn't like monsters that got in the way of my business.
I see.
Wait. Then...
?
Oh, I see. I wonder why I never realized that sooner.
What's the matter?
Well, it's not a big deal. I just thought of something really funny.
Funny...?

Music: Love

Let's get home. Mom might be getting worried.
Oh, Sakuya--

Gee, I wonder what her realization could possibly be???

Thanks for everything today. This is for you. I mean, I got my wool and everything.
I'll be sure to get a good price for your wool.
Thanks...
Well, see ya.

My prize is this thing, which would be nice if I brought monsters into dungeons once a never.

The funny thing is that I'd basically always have villagers or monsters with me in RF4, it just doesn't occur to me in RF3 for some reason. :downs:

Have you considered having more than...*squints at character portrait files* five different expressions, two of which are nearly identical?

I buy some flower seeds to start seriously leveling them up.

I'm going to want a stock of flowers if I want to get into the higher levels of the pharmacy recipes, too. There's stuff like the mixed herbs, which require a bunch of flowers on their own, and there are also higher-skill versions of the basic potions which need flowers instead of wild herbs and grasses.

The next day, marriage pressure continues.

What?! So it's a lie?!

Seriously, I'll deal with it soon! :argh:

In fact...

Just kidding. All of the non-bachelorettes in town have something to say if you try putting a ring on it.

Some of them take it worse than others.

What?!
Well, I'm just kidding.

Gaius still owns.

Even the generic NPCs refuse it.

Oh, so that's where Karina's father went.

Don't worry, I used the flat of the blade.
V-very remarkable swordsmanship...

:magical:

Carlos demonstrates the rare anger-cry.

Evelyn flat-out isn't interested, even though she's single and of marriageable age. No breaking Gaius' heart, you monster.

She also has some interesting daily dialogue:

Is that...so?

Have a seat over there.

And that's that.

And I won't need to plot to secretly paint your field any more.
What were you thinking of?!

Back in the pharmacy, I've finally unlocked my first stat-boosting medicines! And they're a huge pain in the rear end to make! This is why you want to grow the various crystal flowers - the higher difficulty version of each only needs the crystal flower, instead of it plus a bunch of random hard-to-get stuff.

Poor gimmick weapons, stuck in the low-mid tiers.

The next day is Zaid's birthday. Horray. :geno:

His likes are all variations of udon. Seriously. His two liked items are udon and curry udon, and his only loved item is tempura udon. gently caress that.

Just stick him in a room with Blaise for a week. That'll do it.

'A bit'

This "sushi" sounds like an easy way to grind cooking skill and get extra money from fishing. Not that I've shipped huge piles of it or anything.

Well, I've put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears of my own into it. To meet cute monsters.
That's why?!

That's right. She's not a murdermachine ninja mom because of a war or anything, she's one because it let her meet cute monsters. :allears:

Yue's here today so I might as well do this. Sorry, if you're dying to marry her you have to play RF2.

She's also officially out of things to say. This is all we're getting for the rest of the game.

Tempting, but I pass. I'm 99% sure I can't make it better than my current axe.

gently caress it, this is all the effort you're worth.

No.

Let's talk to Shino and not get sworded this time.

Yes. I thought we could get Blaise to make a special seasonal meal for our inn.
That sounds great.
Thank you. But I didn't know where I could find the mushrooms for it. So I thought that you might be able to show me.
Where you could find mushrooms? Oddward:Bamboo Cliffs, I think.
I see. I don't know much outside of town, so if you could guide me...
Okay. Then let's go together.
Thank you.

Is anyone else getting deja vu?

I happen to check on Sakuya's store and see she's selling platinum today. 3000g a pop is a lot, but this is way easier than mining it.

Hey, I found mushrooms already! We're done, right? No? Okay.

This isn't even the bamboo cliffs!

It seems there might be other places that could have mushrooms. Would you mind spending a little more time helping me?

Of course we're not stopping here, we haven't been dragged through half the dungeon yet.

Shino's relatively high level right out of the gate. If you're playing yourself and want an early crutch character, here she is.

Look at her, doing real damage to enemies!

No, we're not done yet. And she says the same thing as last time.

And we're back at the bamboo cliffs.

I wonder how long it's been since I saw the sea. The wind feels nice.

Shino, there's a mushroom.

Oh...

That's okay, but I'm a little surprised that you have this side of you.
Oh, Link. Of course I do.
But since opening the inn, I just haven't had the opportunity to go out as much.
That must be tough...with the inn and your family.
I mean, it's fun. But it's nice to be able to forget about work like this. What do you think?

I'd like to come with my family next time. Of course, we'd invite.you along, too.
Yes, please. That sounds nice.

And now for the comedy option.

Oh, you're quite the flatterer, Link. Well, would you like to come out again...just the two of us?
What?
Hee-hee, I'm joking.

And convergence.

This is for you. Oh, and...
?

I'll be going now.

The real prize was...flirting with a ninja mom? I guess?

Marian's shots are so scary. I enjoy living.

This has been your periodic reminder that Carmen exists.

Give me lots of colored grass, okay?
Ha ha...okay.
And jam, too...
Yes...
And Wood and Rock and Flavored Radish and Miso Eggplant and Dried Sardines--
Stop! Stop!

Gameplay/story non-integration! :argh: (She doesn't actually like wood or rocks.)

NEXT TIME: The marriage poll, for reals.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Shino not being a bachelorette is a travesty.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leraika posted:

Look, this game is just keeping up the proud Rune Factory tradition of the most interesting characters not being available.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Haifisch posted:

And Wood and Rock and Flavored Radish and Miso Eggplant and Dried Sardines--
Stop! Stop!

Gameplay/story non-integration! :argh: (She doesn't actually like wood or rocks.)

Have you ever given her a wood and rock and flavored radish and miso eggplant and dried sardines? Of course you can stack all those five things, you just need to figure out the interface better.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Leraika posted:

:emptyquote:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Commander Keene posted:

Look, this game is just keeping up the proud Rune Factory tradition of the most interesting characters not being available.

Yeah. In RF1, Jasper was the only person around that even resembled "a character", RF2 had Tanya out of reach, and RF4 taunts you with Porcoline and Illuminata.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah. In RF1, Jasper was the only person around that even resembled "a character", RF2 had Tanya out of reach, and RF4 taunts you with Porcoline and Illuminata.

SMH fools who don't want to marry Best Dragon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KataraniSword posted:

Porcoline I can understand
But illuminata?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RabidWeasel posted:

SMH fools who don't want to marry Best Dragon.

I wasn't gonna bring it up, but I do agree.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Porcoline I can understand
But illuminata?

...She's better than the other member of that household, at least.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Stating the Obvious

Music: Town (Day)

Today begins with Sherman invading our personal space first thing in the morning.

Also there's a crop festival tomorrow or something.

It's close enough to winter that we're starting to see snow! It's basically rain, only snow. :pseudo:

No, I'm going to win. I was just feeling bad for everyone else.
I-I see...

Spoilers: I'm going to win. As usual.

Of course. You cannot win without confidence.

I'm personally part of the 'grow fall crops early enough that two different ones are level 9/10 without you trying too hard' school of thought, but to each their own.

Each character comments on the weather as part of the greetings I normally cut out, but I'm including some of the snow ones because you don't get to see them 75% of the year.

I'll be honest. I didn't have a specific plan in mind for how long I wanted to stall the marriage votes while I did Kuruna stuff. I didn't even remember how most of her events went. But this one was perfect enough that I've made it the cutoff event.

Zaid and Ondorus are just...hanging out here. In the rain. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Kuruna. She's been acting bizarre lately. She's been making.mistakes that are most unbecoming of her. Link, do you have any idea what might be troubling Kuruna?
No idea. I hadn't noticed, really.
That's what I feared. What could possibly be the matter?

My bracelet! I told Kuruna to fix it, but she hasn't even lifted a finger yet! It's been a WEEK, man!
It was my FAVORITE! She's always really good about fixing my stuff whenever I tell her, too!

I'm sure it's nothing. Also, learn to fix your own poo poo, Zaid! :argh:

Shara is also just hanging out here. Without the event having started yet.

Kuruna!
KURUNA!
...Oh, sorry!
What were you daydreaming about, Kuruna?
Uh...nothing!
Really? Is everything all right with you?
Yes. Couldn't be righter, comrade.
Kuruna...I saw your letter, you know.
Oh, yeah. That.
I know something's wrong, Kuruna.
No! Nothing's wrong!
Everyone's worried about you, Kuruna. Could you tell me what's wrong?
I'd be happy to help.
Why...would you even THINK that?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!
Kuruna, please. I can't help you if you won't help yourself.
Go home.
I won't go home until I find out what's wrong, Kuruna.
GO HOME!

You, uh, have any comments about this, Shara?

...indeed.

Ah. It all makes sense now.
Wait, you figured out the problem?! I didn't even tell you much of anything!

What's that?
Actually, no. Wait here.

What could he be doing in there?
Hey, Link.
What is it?
Kuruna thinks she's ugly. She ever tell you that, man?
Uh, no. It's not exactly something I'd expect her to confide in me.
Well, she does. But maybe it's hard for a human to understand. Personally, I don't care what she looks like. She's our elder.
That's a pretty open-minded attitude, Zaid. I'm surprised, coming from you.
Just find out what's wrong with Kuruna. I liked the old one better.
I will!

What exactly were you doing in there?
Never mind that. Go inside and talk to Kuruna.
But, I--
I told you to get in there. Now do it.

So pushy.

So...can you talk, then? You can't have a coversation without two parties.
Well, what do you want to talk about?
I don't need to tell you again. You've been acting strange.
You think?
Yes. And when you start acting strange, I don't know how to handle it.
...*sigh*....Ondorus was right.
What did he say?
He spoke ill of you.
Ondorus?! He would never do that!
He said you were dense.

Imagine a world where I could make that image the title of this thread.

I think you just proved you are.
Really?
Yes.
You think?
Definitely.
Heh heh heh.

Heh heh heh. Anyway, I have something to tell you, comrade.
What's that?
I like you. A lot.
You DO?! Kuruna! Wait! This is out of nowhere!

:allears: :allears: :allears:

I'm not expecting a response. But I wanted to let you know how I felt.
Well, you didn't--
I'll give you some time to think about it.
Thanks. I think I need it.

The prize is the game confirming that it is, in fact, doing this on purpose.

I do Raven's random "here's six random things, take them if you want" request again, and get a blue crystal flower out of it. Jesus.

The rest of the day is spent forging random poo poo for the skill grind.

I've also unlocked another permanent stat-up medicine. I could feasibly make this one if I grinded monster drops(including the Raccoon boss) more!

And I've reached the next tier of recovery potions, which will come in handy for the Actual Final Dungeon once I get there.

Music: Festival

And now, a crop festival.

I might be slightly overprepared.

They're so cute when they get their hopes up.

Well it might help if they were actual crops, Shino.

Yes, it's Green Pepper stalk. (Fashionable, isn't it?)

That sounds pretty scary.

I see...

Squid?!

I'd ask how Link is still surprised by this, but, well...

So you saw it? It's too late...

:stare:

Ah! It turned this way?!

Aaaand leaving now.

I didn't realize it until now, but the pre-judging dialogue actually changes once submission time rolls around.

Which is good, because otherwise I would have missed the latest chapter of Gaius' Adventures in Gardening.

Lv10 Yam is basically a guaranteed win.

Like so.

This wasn't a contest, it was a massacre.

Too bad the prize is still just a shitload of cooking bread. Which I don't need, because I already have piles of it. Couldn't they have at least varied the type of recipe bread you got?

The one farmer in town wins all the farming contests. Imagine that.

Oh, was that too much? Ha ha ha!

No no, that was accurate.

Oh, you figured out I was just flattering you? Whoops!

Probably if you didn't use ore...

Thanks...I think.

Because of Evelyn, I'd stopped seeing vegetables as actual food.

Harsh.

Hey, pineapples! Pineapples are annoying as hell to get, because there's only three ways to get them:

1)Murder pineapple monsters in the desert until they drop some.
2)Buy pineapples from Yue.
3)Luck out and get pineapple seeds from Yue. Maybe. Googling says it's ambiguous whether or not pineapple seeds actually exist in this game. All I know is I've never seen them.

Mei's also here today. She's a RF1 cameo who only exists here to let you change your name/your farm's name, if you forgot.

And no, you can't marry her either.

Part of the reason I bought all those pineapples is that there's a few recipes you need them for. Ole!

And since I'm mostly thumb-twiddling until the marriage poll is done, let's do a quest for...*squints at characters and thinks of which one I haven't featured in a while*

Carmen. Sure.

Th-Thanks! Now we can go stream fishing! I got permission from Carlos this time, so now we can go to Oddward:Archway.
Okay. I want to catch a big one today.
Yeah, that's the spirit! Let's go then!

I knew it. I can't catch anything today.
Ah ha ha. Oh well. But I'm having fun fishing with you.
I'm having fun, too. Maybe because I'm with you.
Huh...? Really?
I just have so much fun when I'm with you.
I-I see...Is that right...? I'm so happy.
Aw, shucks, now I'm embarrassed. Ha ha. Oh, you.
I guess you have that side to you. It's cute.
!!
H-Hey! Stop it! Keep it up and I'll drop you in the river!
Ha ha, sorry. But, it's true.
Ah! Cut it out! I'm blushing!

You're right, when did that show up?
It's so pretty...
It is very pretty...
(I wish time would just stop right now...)
(I want it to be like this forever.)

Oh! Yeah, it is! Pull up!
O-Okay! This fish is pretty formidable. At this rate...
I'll help, too! We'll get it this time! Don't give up!

Behold, DS graphics technology.

We got it...
We did it! We finally got one!
Thank you very much! Carmen.
Man, he was a tough one... Maybe he's the King Fish of this waterfall?!
It's a little small for that I think. Maybe it's just a plain fish?
Hey! Just because he's small doesn't mean he can't be a great King Fish! Good job, Link. Now you take that fish home with you.
I was thinking...I want to let it go.
What? Why?
I want to battle it again...
Okay, just joking, I wanted to come back here with you again, I think.
Link...When you say stuff like that you might give a girl...

Umm...Um, hey. I...I think that I...
What?
No, nothing! See ya!

Link. Link never changes.

I take the ice hammer for a spin. Its model looks really stupid, but it kills things acceptably.

And later grinding with the Chaos Blade unlocks this.

The demonstration might have worked better on something that doesn't die in one hit.

Have a bunch of low-tier ore? Need something simple to grind forging skill with? Staple that stuff to your farm tools! No, really. It doesn't change their functionality at all, but it's an easy skill grind.

As Link goes to sleep, I only have one update left in my backlog. Which means it's time for him to get hitched!

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 6, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:siren: Marriage voting time! :siren:

At long last, it's time for the densest man on earth to get married. Post your votes for the candidates below:

The resident flower girl, Shara.
Our fellow half-monster girl, Raven.
The girl who never speaks in opposites, Sofia.
The lazy girl with big city dreams, Karina.
RAINBOW! Daria.
The small chef with a big appetite, Collette.
The resident Pia, Pia.
The girl who loves money but is somehow always in the red, Sakuya.
Local terror/mad scientist, Marian.
The fishing girl who fishes and runs a fishing resort because she loves to fish, Carmen.
Last but not least, the Univir elder, Kuruna.

As cruel as it is, Gaius, Shino, and Evelyn are not options. Sorry.

Voting will close on Thursday the 5th. Possibly earlier if votes have stopped coming in and I feel like playing again.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Daria's who I'd go for in this game.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Hrrmmm...

Boring
Maybe
A tiny bit more work by having to add bold text
Boring
Good, but could be better
Boring
Also a maybe
Boring
Yikes
Let's face it, she will still talk about her brother all the time even if we marry her
Boring

(Note: Boring to marry, not boring to interact with normally)

So Pia, Raven, and Sofia seem the best choices to pick to me.

I'll go Pia.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Don't choose Sofia.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Let's go with Pia.

Because Baths.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

It's time to declare war on all squid! :black101:
Pia

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There can only be Pia. Her wedding shall be squid-themed, by which I mean the decorations will all be graphically dead squid.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Haifisch posted:

:siren: Marriage voting time! :siren:
In order:
Shara is kind of boring, definitely the "Vanilla" option. Nah.
Raven is cute in how she has literally no idea how to people. Or talk to people. Has the benefit of basically getting Gaius as a brother in law too. Firm maybe.
Sofia is... I like the girl, but I detest the opposite speak thing. No.
Karina's defining trait is how lazy she is, And her character arc was... off to me. I mean, she confides in you that she wants to go to the city (Which city is badly defined, but I digress) and then never actually goes. Kinda sad really. Honestly, I would give her a weak maybe.
Daria.... Don't stick it in the crazy.
Collette... The loli option. Nope.
Pia is... Pia. Yeah, the resident Pia. One of a kind... Or gods I hope she is at any rate. Fun in short doses, but not someone I would marry.
Sakuya is fun to take into the dungeons for her loot trait, But honestly, her mother is by far the more interesting character and I wish we could have married her instead. Sakuya herself though? Hmm... weak maybe.
Marian. gently caress no. Darla plus a side of hoping you don't wake up with needles in uncomfortable places. I mean, at least with Darla you only have to worry about the tree getting turned into a technicolor yawn. Don't stick it in the loving crazy.
Carmen is... way to much on the bro con thing. Kinda... eww. No.
Kuruna has that annoying comrade thing, which always makes me wonder why she doesn't have a red star incorporated in her character design anywhere. Her getting all excited about sweets was pretty funny too. But she seems more like Shara in the end as the designated "Story plot coupon" character... nah...

Going by that list, it boils down to Raven, Karina, and Sakuya for me... and of the three, Raven's character stuck with me the most so....
Raven

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Daria. :allears:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I'll go with Raven due to being my personal favorite.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The Very Important Anti-Squid Party endorses Pia for wife

e: she's so good that she entered a squid as a fall crop and got second place. :colbert:

Leraika fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 1, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Repeatedly pressing the 'random page' button on the RF wiki brought me to Sakuya surprisingly quickly, so she gets my vote.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Raven just because I want to see if it will motivate her to say more than four words at a time.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

I've fallen victim to the 'can't post long posts' curse, so click the lovingly generated text gif above for the update(which will be edited into this post once the curse is lifted).

....Pia entered a squid in that contest. And got second place. Apparently everyone else is even more terrible at gardening than we thought.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Ashsaber posted:

....Pia entered a squid in that contest.

Link should put a ring on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ThornBrain posted:

Link should put a ring on that.

:thunk:

Ashsaber posted:

....Pia entered a squid in that contest. And got second place. Apparently everyone else is even more terrible at gardening than we thought.
Considering that her competition tends to eat their crops(or have Sherman eat their crops) before entering them, make mad science experiments out of their crops, grow them in metal shavings, and generally do anything but just growing a normal crop, was that really in doubt?

• Locked thread