Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

LordHippoman posted:

This Jasper knockoff does not seem nearly as good as the man himself. Not once did he reference eating a tank, and he doesn't even have a nice hat.
I was not eagerly awaiting your reaction to Sherman, and it was highly disappointing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

people posted:

characters
Yeah, I'll fully admit your enjoyment of the characters will depend on your anime tolerance. Mine is fairly high, so I don't mind most of them, eye-rolling gimmicks and all.

Delacroix posted:

It's a shame you can't date Shino or Gaius. :(
Another proud RF tradition! There has to be at least one character who's blatantly better than the bachelor(ettes), but can't be dated because Reasons.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

dancingbears posted:

I played the poo poo out of this game, and I completely forgot Collette even existed. :psyduck:

I entirely forgot she's even more of a one-note character than I remembered. FOOD MUST EAT GOTTA EAT FOOD.

Totally going to vote for her when the "who to woo" category comes up to really rub it in.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Delacroix posted:

RF3 was a giant step up from the GBA HMs for me, the characters may be hit or miss but the gameplay is undeniably better.

It's a shame you can't date Shino or Gaius. :(
Well, from what I understand, the RF series is especially good at making the best characters in each game not one of the available choices.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
And people said RF4's characters were crazy. :v: I can tell we're gonna be in for wacky times.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Sage Grimm posted:

I entirely forgot she's even more of a one-note character than I remembered. FOOD MUST EAT GOTTA EAT FOOD.

Totally going to vote for her when the "who to woo" category comes up to really rub it in.

Spoilered for character stuff, including characters that haven't been shown yet; don't look if you want Haifisch to handle the introductions! To be fair, I remember most of the bachelorettes being pretty one-note in this game. In the relationship menu's order: Shara is obsessed with flowers (almost as much so as the first two games' canon brides were turnip-obsessed; she works in the flower shop, she explicitly encourages you to grow flowers- which take forever to grow and aren't very useful for much of the game- and nearly all her liked gifts are flowers); Collette is obsessed with food (as already shown); Marian is a mad scientist (demanding that she be allowed to test new drugs on the protagonist- and she's supposed to be this game's nurse!); Karina is practically narcoleptic (no enthusiasm + hobby is sleeping, but not a true narcoleptic like Clorica in 4); Pia is obsessed with swimming (and "saving" fish, but that's related in that fish swim); Sofia is... well, Sherman's daughter (and thus talks like him; at least she gives you a use for the "trash" items); Sakuya is incredibly greedy (one of her sprites actually has a G in her eye to signify this, much like a western cartoon character would have $); Carmen is obsessed with fishing (and, creepily enough, her brother); Kuruna is extremely racist for most of the game (she gets better by the end... long after the damage is already done); and Daria... well, "RAINBOW!!!" Her words, not mine. Really, I'm pretty sure Raven's the closest to actually having a personality; sure, she's incredibly aloof, but she has a REASON for that, and you actually manage to coax her out of her shell if you build up her relationship.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I recall this game have insane amount of script for each character. Everyday's conversation is different for a long, long time before you even felt a repeat. Crap ton of events for each bachelor that i held back marriage to go through them all.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nyaa posted:

I recall this game have insane amount of script for each character. Everyday's conversation is different for a long, long time before you even felt a repeat. Crap ton of events for each bachelor that i held back marriage to go through them all.

Now that you mention it, yeah there is alot of daily dialogue. I never really thought about it because I was too busy obsessing over how great it was that every single character has a full chain of events to go through at every affection level to truly befriend them, I never knew how much I loved it till 4 removed it for no conceivable reason whatsoever. Yes I'm bitter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
But... but vegetables are like bombs, packed tight with healthy nutrients. Eat enough of them and you can take down a tank!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

What ruffles my jimmies about the RF series is that all the bachelorettes look like they're 12 years old.
Hell, even the mothers look like they are barely out of their teens.

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 25, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Introductions, Part 2

Music: Town (Day)

Onward!

That was fast.

Your name is Link, right?
That's right.
My mom makes me work at our general store all the time. (She's such a pain.) Uh, you aren't planning to shop at our store very often, are you?
Well, uh...I think you sell a lot of things that I'm going to need.
*Sigh* (I guess I can't stop you.)
Well, uh, I'll see you around.

We'll get properly introduced later. For now, let's check out the blacksmith's shop. It's right next to the flower shop, which I'm still avoiding because gently caress Shara.

Were all of these weapons made here in the store?
Pretty much.
That's amazing. Do you make them too?
?
Do you want to buy something?
Huh?
This is a weapon shop, not a place for idle chat. If you're not going to buy something, then leave.
Oh...sorry.

Hey, is there anything you wanna buy?
Umm...
Doesn't matter to me, really. I'm happiest when I'm hard at work, striking my hammer by the heat of the forge. Please take your time, and make yourself at home!
What? But...
What...?
Oh, it's nothing.

What was your name again?
Link.
Oh, yeah, that's right. I'm Gaius. I think I mentioned it before, but I'm the owner of this weapon shop. I just make the weapons, though, and leave it to Raven to help sell them. Well, just give me a shout if you ever need a weapon!
Will do.
I just make weapons because I like to. I don't have any great ambitions of becoming a master smithy or anything like that.

Gaius is a cool dude.

Raven, a character in two screenshots.

...what do you want...?
Your name's Raven, right?
Yes.
Well, umm...uh...I just moved into town! My name's Link!
I know.
Oh...That's right, of course you do.

The legends were true! She has multiple expressions! Barely!

What?

...let's go back to the crazy people. At least they're interested in holding conversations.

There's one outside right now! And yes, this is the exact same gimmick Sherman had.

Uh, what? I've never seen.you in my life.
What's your name?
Oh, I'm Link. I just moved into the big tree. It's nice to meet you.
Your face utterly repulses me.
What's wrong with my face?!
You are most welcome. You may call me Sofia.
You've got a weird way of complimenting people.
Indeed. Now, I'm simply.FAR too busy for any visitors! So, be sure to stop by my place anytime!
Uh, didn't you just say you'd be too busy?
That's correct. I won't be waiting for you.
Um...okay.

Get back here, you have a second thing to say.

A raccoon invaded our abode, but it didn't vandalize any of my belongings. It seems the beast ate some of Father and Evelyn's least-cherised things, though.

Could we possibly have to stop this raccoon at some point? I mean, this is some incredibly subtle foreshadowing going on, but you never know.

That typo is 100% the game's fault.

This guy sells cooking bread, which lets us learn new recipes with the power of bread. Don't ask. Blaise also sells cooking bread, but...

A) We don't have the ability to cook yet, and B)We don't even have enough gold for one loaf of bread.

On the other side of the flower shop is the general store. Avoiding Shara has been working so far, might as well keep it up.

Oh, uh...okay.

What are you doing?! You're supposed to be working!
I AM working. Taking breaks is part of work.
You can't take a break when there are customers in the store!
Sheesh. What a slave driver.
Sorry about my lazy daughter. If you ever find her asleep at the counter, go ahead and wake her up.
Ha ha...
Hey, you're the newcomer who moved in to the Sharance Tree, right?
Yep.
We should explain the shipping system to you, then. Why don't you step up to the counter? Karina won't bite.

What?! But there's so much to... (What a pain...) Actually, I think you'd do a much better job explaining it, Mom.
Ha! You're just too lazy to do it!
Hey, I'm just thinking about what's best for our customers.
Oh, really? Well, since you're so concerned about our new customer, I'll put you in charge of shipping for his farm.
What?!
I know you'll love that!

Well I've got to get some orders ready, so Karina will tell you all about shipping.
Okay.
Karina! No sleeping on the job!
Fine... (She's so bossy.)
See you later.
Well, I guess you're stuck with me for the explanation. I'll try my best, but no promises. (This is such a drag...)
Thank you.
Umm...Toss your crops into the shipping bin and we'll come pick 'em up. (Lighter crops are better.) We'll pick them up around 5PM. (Or whenever we feel like it.) Then you'll automatically get paid for them. We'll pick them up every single day. (I don't even get weekends off. *Sigh*) I guess that covers it. (That was annoying.) Got it?
Uh...kinda...
So I guess I start today...*Sigh* Why does your field have to be so far away?
Uh, sorry about that. (But it doesn't seem so far to me.)
Yeah....(I just hope you don't ship too much.)

Karina is too lazy to hold a real conversation today. Hazel vanished before I could talk to her, so no blurb just yet.

Let's get this over with.

Wow. This is a pretty impressive flower shop.
Hee hee. Thank you! We sell flower seeds and some magic seeds too!
Magic seeds?
Yes. They're...

Ah!
Monica, stop it! Shara! Do something!
Monica...! Got you!

Not shown: The incredibly overdramatic music playing during all this.

That's my sister. She doesn't like strangers.
Boy, I'll say.
Be careful she doesn't bite you when you talk to her.
She...bites?
Well, anyway...This is one of the magic seeds I was talking about.

Just throw the seed on the ground, and it grows in an instant. It'll grow into a magical plant that will follow you like a pet and help you out. Different magic seeds will help you in different ways. The more powerful you are, the more powerful the magic seeds will become.
A plant pet? That sounds kind of cute.
Tee-hee. Do you really think so? I'll give you this, then.

Are you sure?!
Of course. There are lots of other kinds of magic seeds out there. Make lots of money and come and buy them all!
Okay!
Oh, by the way, did I tell you about the bulletin board yet?

Yes, totally. Go to board, accept quest, get rewards and dialogue. Can we go now?

Actually, I'm pretty sure I didn't. Maybe you're still having memory problems.
<:mad:>
Where's the bulletin board located?
It's in front of this house. Follow me.

tl;dr: Villagers post quests on the board. Link can accept one quest a day. Shara has a tutorial quest on the board already.

Well, since this is your first request, let's start with something easy. Why don't you go around to everyone's house and introduce yourself?
Oh, okay. So I just need to meet everyone?
That's right. You're new in town, so you should get to know your neighbors. Don't forget to see Daria. She lives in the house over by Privera Forest.
Okay!
Once you've talked to everyone, come back and talk to me again.
Gotcha!

So do what I was doing anyway. Got it. Let's head back inside and officially meet Monica.

I'm Link. Anyway, uh, I hope we can be friends.
Don't come near me! I'll bite you!
Ah!
Rarr!!! You're a weirdo stranger!
(This doesn't seem to be going well.)
I told you not to come near me! *CHOMP*!!
Owwww!
And you'd better stay away from my sister! I can bite lots harder than that!

Kids, amirite?

I track down Wells in front of the restaurant. The top screen shows you where the townspeople walking outside are, which is handy. It doesn't show you which people are indoors, but you can usually guess where they are once you know their routine.

Hmph. My name's Wells. I'm the mayor of this town. I hope you're happy with your new home.
Yeah, it's great. Thank you very much.

Wells has a bit to say about the Sharance Tree if we talk to him again.

It watches over the town like a tall and silent sentinel.
Yeah. I've never seen another tree like it.

Only a few villagers left now! I head towards the lake to get two of them.

I am devastated beyond words, brother! But it is time for me to make my own way! I must leave...to go fishing!
Be careful, my darling sister! Please come back alive! I could not bear to hear of your demise! *sob sob*
Oh, my dear brother... *sob sob sob* Oh, hey! It's a customer!

Hey there! Welcome to Carlos' Resort! Is this your first time here?
What? Oh, y-yes.
We raise fish and release them in the lake out back!
That's right! It's like taking a trip to an exotic tropical island!
It was my brother's idea! Isn't he great?!
Ha ha ha! You flatter me as always, Carmen! The cost is a bit high, but you can fish all day! If you're good at fishing, it's a great deal! Ha ha ha!

It's been a while since I last played RF3, but I don't remember using their fishing lake all that often. I was never big on fishing minigames, though.

You're awesome, Carlos! You always come up with so many great ideas!
So stop on by! Either me or my sister will be behind that counter there! Feel free to ask us anything!
Yeah! Stop by anytime! We'll be here waiting!

Is something in the water here? The jury's still out on that.

Fishing?
Yes, fishing!
Uh.....I guess I like it.
Really?! That's great! I just can't get enough, myself. The dance of the lure, the feel of the rod in my hands. And the moment the fish peaks its head out of the water!
Oh, sorry! I tend to get carried away when it comes to fishing!
You must like it a lot.
Heh heh, yeah! It's a little embarrassing sometimes! I'm Carmen. Who're you?
I'm Link.
Link? Nice to meet you! You can usually find me by the lake! Come by and see me any time!

Carmen's alright.

Link.
Link, eh? I'm Carlos! I run a fishing resort with my sister!
Really? That's pretty neat!
You're right! It's awesome! You got good taste, bro'! I think we're gonna get along great!
You think so...?
I KNOW so, bro'! By the way, have you met my sister? If not, you should introduce yourself! But no funny business, though! You got it?!
I... I got it.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you, bro'!

What's with the extra apostrophes, bro'?

Next time: RAINBOW! (and the other remaining characters)

For what it's worth, despite RF3's characters leaning a bit too hard on the "aren't they just so wacky?!" angle, I'll take them over modern Harvest Moon's/Story of Seasons' bland as gently caress villagers. At least these guys are entertaining.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I always wondered what would happen if you marry Carman while having bad relation with her brother.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gaius confirmed for best character. He must not be drinking the water. Or maybe whatever pointy-eared fantasy race he's supposed to be part of is immune to the crazy that seems to be going around.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I kinda love Carlos already.

The magic seeds seem interesting as well, being able to grow your own combat helpers seems like a neat gimmick.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I completely forgot magic seeds even exist (does the plot even use them?), I think I spent way too much time fishing and chasing new recipes. :shobon:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think I used magic seeds all of once in my past playthroughs, then forgot about them entirely. I'll try to show them off a bit more in the LP; maybe they'll surprise me and be really useful later on?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's one I remember that I found useful, but it's not for combat.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Haifisch, the fishing resort is your one-stop trip to profitville. If you get the siblings' friendship levels high enough to have them stock unlimited tuna in their small enclosure.
Coupled with a high cooking skill you can churn out ludicrously profitable tuna dishes.

E: Which is apparently the reason fishing income has been nerfed into the ground in RF4 :v:.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Gaius confirmed for best character. He must not be drinking the water. Or maybe whatever pointy-eared fantasy race he's supposed to be part of is immune to the crazy that seems to be going around.

He's a dwarf, I think. The dwarves in Rune Factory are nigh-indistinguishable from elves at a distance, but the love of smithing tends to give them away. And yeah, he's a pretty strong contender for the Sanest Person in Town award.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

His in-game description says that he is a dwarf.

And while I agree he is the sanest, his quirks show up during his requests, not in this introduction.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazeEmblem posted:

His in-game description says that he is a dwarf.

And while I agree he is the sanest, his quirks show up during his requests, not in this introduction.
That's fine though. That's how social interaction goes with normal, well-adjusted humans in real life; put your best face forward to make a good first impression. Once they get to know you a bit, then you let them know how crazy you are. :P

Most of the people in this town, however, don't seem to get that and put their :byodood: face on at all times.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Last Transmission posted:

Haifisch, the fishing resort is your one-stop trip to profitville. If you get the siblings' friendship levels high enough to have them stock unlimited tuna in their small enclosure.
Coupled with a high cooking skill you can churn out ludicrously profitable tuna dishes.

Beat me to it! It's pretty easy to get more money than you'll ever need with tuna fishing, but you need a pretty high friendship level with the siblings, so you can't do it until midgame at the earliest.

Also: Sofia! I totally get why people wouldn't like her gimmick, and Sherman certainly handles it poorly, but Sofia's actually really charming. I hope Haifisch does their best to show off some of her everyday conversations when her friendship level is high. :allears:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I don't see the appeal in Carmen or Carlos. I mean, yeah, they're friendly, and I can understand them being attached to each other. On the other hand, they're far too focused on fishing, and they take their connection to each other TOO FAR (to creepy, "get separate rooms already!" levels). Plus they're both drama queens, as has been demonstrated. And, for the record, you can't marry Carmen with a bad relationship with Carlos, since his requests are a prerequisite for marrying her.

I honestly forgot Monica in the spoilered list of problems with various bachelorettes I posted before (though part of that might have been the fact that I was focused entirely on how most of them have one-note personalities; she makes Shara even less appealing than she already is, since you have to do the brat's requests in order to marry her sister. That said, from my point of view it almost seems like she might be autistic (speaking as someone who is autistic himself). At least Wells is alright when monsters aren't visibly involved.

Karina... well, her character (or lack thereof, as the case may be) is summarized pretty well in her introduction, really. She's too lazy to even properly explain a simple, core mechanic unless forced (I mean, "put stuff in box, get money next day" isn't that complicated, is it?).

At least Sofia bears no physical resemblance to Sherman (another running thing regarding their family- the ones in charge look like Sherman, while the young ones are actually pretty attractive). Her gimmick is pretty annoying, though.

Despite Raven's laconic greeting, I find her to be a much better character than all the other candidates (not really a spoiler when the relationship screen put a heart next to her name, is it?); what she's like under that aloofness will be shown later, I'm sure.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe less of something in the water and just good old malnutrition due to lack of vegetables or something. Farm away and save them from this disaster!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

To go with the guy that forgot Eating Girl; I forgot the existence of Monica and Carmen's hat. Its a great hat, how'd I forget it?

Dude Sofia is great, somehow or another I managed to like her endgame so much that I actually picked her over the publicly recognized best girl on my first file. I really hope we can somehow go a different route because I want to see what its like to go sleeping/ with the fishes.

You never know how much you can love a stupid bulletin board till you have to live without it.

I kind of want a remake of 3 where they add the female version 4 had, 50% because Gaius is great, and 50% because I know girls that loved 4 but vehemently refuse to play 3 without being a girl that can marry dudes.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

MythosDragon posted:

I kind of want a remake of 3 where they add the female version 4 had, 50% because Gaius is great, and 50% because I know girls that loved 4 but vehemently refuse to play 3 without being a girl that can marry dudes.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options for guy love interests in this game. I think we've seen half of them, maybe more.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

people posted:

Tuna fishing
Noted. Although I don't remember money being a huge issue in this game, it's always nice to make it trivial at will.

MightyPretenders posted:

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options for guy love interests in this game. I think we've seen half of them, maybe more.
They could pull a Harvest Moon and add weird bachelors nobody really wanted to their It's A Female Version Now! remakes. Also add in the gay options that are probably half the reason Stardew Valley did so well.

(RF4 lets you pretend by portrait-switching later on, but it's just not the same. :sigh:)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Noted. Although I don't remember money being a huge issue in this game, it's always nice to make it trivial at will.

They could pull a Harvest Moon and add weird bachelors nobody really wanted to their It's A Female Version Now! remakes. Also add in the gay options that are probably half the reason Stardew Valley did so well.

(RF4 lets you pretend by portrait-switching later on, but it's just not the same. :sigh:)

Eh, More Friends of Mineral Town had good bachelors.

Because there was already a rivalry system in place so there had to be an equal number of relatively attractive male counterparts to the bachelorettes.

...ssh, we don't talk about Won, the Kappa, and the Gourmet.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Introductions, Part 3

Music: Town (Day)

Interesting sign they've got there.

So what hurts? Your head? Your chest? Someplace you can't tell me?
Uh...What?
I see...You're too sick to speak properly...

I don't think that's how shots work, Marian. :stare:

No, I'm not sick...
Don't be nervous! It only hurts for a second! Although, sometimes the pain can linger for a bit.

Yes, Link's portrait is actually inching away. Details. :allears:

I'm sorry...She never listens to me.
Don't stop me, Grandma! This is a perfectly reasonable cure for illness!
I hardly think you can call a treatment just as likely to fail as it is to work a "cure". And anyway, he says he's not sick.
What? Really?
Heh heh...
Honestly, Marian...You silly witch, trying to play doctor.
It's not silly, Grandma! You're just old fashioned! There are some things that magic can't heal. Us witches need to adapt to the times, too.
First you need to learn how to properly administer care to a patient! Then you can talk about what kind of medicine to use!
Don't worry, Grandma! One day, the greatness of my medicine will be acknowledged! Ah! I know! Let me borrow you for a sec! I'll use you as proof my medicine works!
L-Let me think about it...I'll get back to you later on that...
Great! So if you get sick or poisoned, come see me! We sell medicine and stuff here! Grandma works on the weekends, though, so make sure to come during the week!
Like I said, let me get back to you on that...
Fantastic! I'll be waiting!
She's not listening at all...

This place sells medicine, herbs(which we can use to make medicine ourselves once we unlock the relevant crafting station), and a handful of spells.

Oh, my name's Link. It's nice to meet...
Oh, that's right! Link! A doctor never forgets a previous patient's name! Yes, of course! How are you, Link?
Um, I don't think we've really "met" before...
Of course we have! You're Link! Boy, you sure are forgetful!
Jeesh...I can't seem to get through to her.
I'm Marian! I'm an apprentice doctor and witch! Stop by anytime if you get sick! Remember: Anytime! Anywhere! For whatever reason!
I-I'll remember that...

I'm really not a fan of Marian. Her schtick just grates on me.

Yes, that's right.
My name's Marjorie. People used to call me a witch, but now I'm just an old woman.
My name's Link. It's nice to meet you.
Oh, what a polite young man you are!
Um, thank you.
I'm also a doctor, but I've been leaving most of that to Marian these days. Would you rather be treated by me, or by Marian?
Ummm...
Normally, I would expect you would want to be treated by a cute girl like Marian, but that girl can be hazardous to your health.
Huh...?
Anyway, it's nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you too.

Marjorie is probably tied with Gaius & Wells for Sanest Person in Town.

Ooo, fancy.

Yuck!!
More!!!

The 3-star chef's cooking is very terrible, I must say! Yuck!! Yuck!!! More, please!!!
Sure thing. I'll have to thank Blaise. But you really do eat too much, Father. Don't you think so?
Hmm...I shall contemplate on it for some time and get back to you, dear. ...More!!!
Okay, just a moment.

Indeed! Bad morning, my ugly Sofia!
I detest you, Father.
Are you going out this fine day?
No. I'm going out today. I'm in a good mood.
Indeed! Just don't go to dangerous places. Don't be careful!
No.
I don't mean that!
Well, I'm off!
Always speaking in opposites.....Why do they have to go out of their way to make things so difficult?

Evelyn spells out the gimmick, for anyone who hadn't figured it out themselves by now. Although Link will still get confused a lot because he's slow on the uptake or something.

We've met Sherman and Sofia already, but Evelyn is still on the list.

I'm Link! I just moved into that big tree in town.
Oh, yeah. I heard you washed up here and lost your memory! That must have been a harrowing experience! I hope you get better soon.
Oh, it's okay. I'm doing much better now!
That's good to hear. Anyway, I'm Evelyn. Have you met my family? They speak in opposites. They're weird like that.
That seems...pointless. And difficult on a lot of levels.
Well...they can be tough to deal with. I'll admit that...But they're also incredibly kind and generous. Please try to look past their eccentricities!
I will! Thanks!
And who knows? Maybe you'll become such good friends that they'll talk bad about you behind your back!
That...seems like a counterintuitive goal!

If she seems sane so far, it's because her intro didn't touch on her quirk.

No...What is it?
I imagine it to be a light-weight dress...like fairy wings.
So it's not like anything you know...

I forgot where Daria's house was, and wound up here. Where I'm definitely not supposed to be yet.

There we go.

This is also a dungeon, but Daria lives on the first screen, where no monsters spawn.

Link has minimal commentary on the artwork littering the screen borders.

Hidden items can spawn in random places. They're usually nothing special, but free vegetables(aka 'free money') are appreciated this early in the game.

Daria gets a "RAINBOW!" voice clip. Assume it plays at least 3 times in any given conversation with her.

It's incredible! It's beautiful! This is the piece that'll show everyone what a staggering genius I am!
I'll finally be world famous! People will be lining up to interview me! I'll give lectures to packed houses! I'll be invited to fabulous parties!
But if I get too busy, then I won't be able to work on my art anymore. That would be tragic.
I'll need assistants! Probably a hundred of them! Hmm...I'd better start looking.

That's it. Her introduction is 100% her talking to herself. Daria, everyone!

She definitely has some...unique...art sense.

Also a free eggplant dish.

Maybe I should actually talk to Daria instead of creepily staring at everything in her house & stealing her food.

Uh...yeah?
I...uhh.. What are you staring at?
Your nose, your cheekbones....your face is fascinating.
W-What?!
You should model for me sometime!
Model...? Uh, sure, I guess.
Excellent! You couldn't have chosen a better artist to capture your form! Paintings, sculptures, mixed media...I'm a master of them all, an artist extraordinaire!
Rainbow!
That sounds pretty impressive.
You'd better believe it! Actually, maybe you'd make a better assistant than a model.
?
What's your name?
Link.
Link? I'm Daria. Come by my studio any time you want to take a look at my masterpieces!
Okay. (She seems a little...eccentric.)

Fall is so beautiful!
Uh, yeah...but it's spring.

Dream big.

Link's had a very long day. I think he deserves a rest.

Sorry, I'll have to pass.

New in RF3 is the ability to (attempt to) sleep in everyone's beds! I think it pisses the character in question off slightly if they're in the same room, but you get dialogue out of it, so it's all good.

And with that, we've met everyone! Time to talk to Shara and

What.

Just wandering into people's homes isn't enough. Make sure you're going up to each person and introducing yourself.

But I

Oh, right, Hazel.

Yep.
I'm Hazel. I own the general store, and am the mother of the laziest girl on Earth. We sell an assortment of crop seeds, so I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of you.
Yeah. I plan to do lots of farming.
Good! It's great to meet someone with some energy and ambition!
If only my daughter was more like you.

Now we've met everybody.

Oh, thank you. I'll bet you got a "SKILL UP!" message while you were walking around town. Were you surprised?

Seriously Shara, I've done this before.

Oh. I was hoping that you would be surprised...You got that message because your walking skill increased. That's a.skill that you increase just by walking around. You'll find that you build skill levels for just about everything you do, even eating and sleeping.
Wow. That's pretty detailed.
You can check out your skill levels in the Pause menu. Building skills will help you out in all sorts of ways.
That's good to know.
Now, let's see...Next, I'd like you to ship any one item.
Any item at all?
That's right. Just put it in the shipping bin, then come back and talk to me.

I shove some colored grass & that cabbage from earlier in the bin. It's too late in the day to get money for it, but it'll just be added to the shipment tomorrow.

Thank you. What did you ship?

Close enough.

That's a very sensible choice. Making the most of your field is key to being a good farmer. Well, that's it for my request. Great job!

You'll usually get an extra nice reward for difficult requests or when you complete a request for a wealthy client. But I think the real reward is helping others.
Yeah, everyone's been so nice to me here. It's great to have a chance to help out!
Tee-hee. That's the spirit! Now I should tell you about your mail box. It's just outside your door. It's another place where you can get requests. I asked my grandfather to send a request to your mail box. So check your mail box and I'm sure you'll get his letter soon! Did you understand all that?

Shara, seriously, Link didn't hit his head THAT hard.

I'll be getting a request in the mail box by my front door.
Perfect. And please be sure you accept my grandfather's request, okay?

Our reward for Tutorial Quest 1 is turnip seeds. I'll take it.

Onwards to Tutorial Quest 2. It's getting pretty late, but I can squeeze it in before the villagers start going to sleep.

Do you know Marjorie from the apothecary?

Good. This should be a piece of cake, then. I just got the flowers that she ordered. I told her they'd be in today, but knowing her, she probably forgot. So if it's not too much trouble, could you go over and remind Marjorie to come and pick her flowers up?
You just want me to deliver that message? I don't mind delivering the flowers to her.
No, that's all right. I don't want you to go spoiling my customers. Well, hop to it!

Link, you were already in here! Don't you start tutorializing at me too! :argh:

I have a message for you from Wells. He told me to tell you that your flowers have arrived, so please pick them up.
Ah! Those flowers! I completely forgot about them. If he had you come all the way over here, why didn't he just have you deliver the flowers?
Uh, he said he didn't want to spoil his customers.
Honestly...That stubborn old man. Well, you can let him know that I'll come and get my flowers later.
Will do!
Thanks.

It's an old sickle of mine. I thought it'd be a good housewarming gift.
Thank you.
You can use a sickle to cut weeds and harvest grass for fodder. You can also use it on a crop to harvest seeds from it. Sometimes you can get higher quality seeds that way. It's an essential tool for farming. Put that field of yours to good use!
Okay!

Using the sickle to level up your seeds is an essential part of the money making machine. Higher quality crops sell for more, have stronger effects, and create higher level cooked dishes.

Everything I shipped today. It's not much, but I wanted to save most of the colored grasses since straight-up selling them isn't a very good use of them.

And with that, Link can finally go to sleep. Maybe there'll be fewer tutorials tomorrow.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad Evelyn isn't a bachelorette :( Even her quirk makes some sense considering one of the game mechanics.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Did Evelyn have a small monkey attached to her that entire time that nobody acknowledged?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Although it's fair to assume this game would have someone who's decorated with live animals, it's actually a stuffed toy. Here's her entire portrait, to give better context:

She also has a dog on her hat, and some cat heads dangling from her hair(somehow).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can't help but feel she's meant to be a parody of contemporary Final Fantasy character designs.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

As much as graphics are the absolute last thing that matters, jesus those models burn my eyes now. Its like they compressed an image as far as they could before it divided by zero.

Also seriously why isnt Evelyn a ring bearer option, shes in the age range and everything, I think she's unique in just getting shafted like that, everyone else is a mom or something,

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

MythosDragon posted:

Also seriously why isnt Evelyn a ring bearer option, shes in the age range and everything, I think she's unique in just getting shafted like that, everyone else is a mom or something,

To be fair, this game already has over 10 bachelorettes. Besides, do you really want to be mean to Gaius?

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 28, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MythosDragon posted:

As much as graphics are the absolute last thing that matters, jesus those models burn my eyes now. Its like they compressed an image as far as they could before it divided by zero.

Maybe her marriage option ended up getting cut to meet deadlines or something?

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
Goddammit now I wanna go dig out my copy of this and play along. <:mad:> Seeing as how I never beat it anyway. But man, I forgot how much fun RF3 was, even with the weird 3D-ish overworld character models. Also, Raven, Gaius, and Evelyn, only reasonably sane characters in town until you get to know them. I will fully admit that Shara, Monica, and Wells all kinda irritated me. I really liked everyone else though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hazel's sane, she's just easy to forget because she doesn't compete for attention like all the other lunatics.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
All the parents (aside from the not obvious outlier) are pretty sane in this town. Sherman gets a pass because his family has been basically insane from the start and he's just continuing the trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Tutorial Quests R Us

Music: Town (Dawn)

Link, that's not how you sleep on a bed. Maybe you really did hit your head that hard.

These are all the skills I got yesterday. In order:

Water: Increases damage and reduces RP consumption of Water spells. Raises RP, INT, and Magic Defense.
Earth: Same as Water skill, just with Earth magic.
Love: "Your skill with love". Reduces RP consumption when a wooly(once Link can do that). Has the same stat and magic use bonuses as the other magic skills. Yes, Love is a type of magic in this game.
Farming: Reduces RP consumption of farm tools, and raises HP and RP.
Searching: Raises RP and INT slightly.
Walking: Raises HP, RP, and VIT.
Sleeping: Raises HP, RP, STR, INT, and VIT.

You really want to keep on top of your skills so your stat growth & max HP/RP keep up. Most of that will come naturally as you play, but sometimes it can benefit you to branch out a bit just for easy skill xp.

A quick look at the calendar shows the Bean Throwing Festival is coming up this Friday. Unsurprisingly, it involves throwing beans.

Link explored most of the town yesterday, but never hit up this one room in his own home. It's from the stair opposite the one that leads to the fields.

Shara, it's 6 in the morning. Why are you awake? Why are you in our house?

Strap in kids, the fourth wall is going on vacation.

This is the Trophy Room. When you accomplish certain things, trophies will appear here.
When I do certain things? Like what?
You know, I'm not really sure. I guess you'll just have to experiment and find out!
Okay!
This room is also connected to the Labyrinth World.

You can take on a labyrinth solo, or friends can join you locally over DS Wireless Play.

You can compare your scores with those of other players over intendo Wi-Fi Connection. Try to be the best! Let's see...What else is there?

If it's too easy right now, change it to hard. Play around with it and find a difficulty that feels right! Well, that's all I have to tell you about this room.
I got it. Thank you!
See you later!

We can't use the Labyrinth room yet, the ranking room is flat-out unusable since Nintendo WFC shut down, and I don't want to change the difficulty right now. What a useful area of the house.

At least Link can admire his two trophies.

If I knew how to use this Transform spell, I think I could go in here.

This is plot gated. I'll show it off later.

Sometimes growing crops can wither, but watering them fixes it. If you fail to water them, they turn into withered grass, which has some applications but generally isn't worth killing a crop over.

I picked up some cabbage seeds yesterday, and between those and the pink turnip seeds from foraging drops, Link's spent most of his RP already. It'll be fine. Probably.

There's nothing in the mailbox, but Sherman has a request on the bulletin board. This is another tutorial quest that unlocks a basic farm tool, in this case the axe.

Unfortunately, he's standing pretty close to the board.

Hey, I saw your request on the.bulletin board.
Oh, Link! I simply MUST not gorge myself with Seafood Gratin!
Ah...
You need a pot to make Seafood Gratin, and you won't need fire for the pot...So you can't make more stews if you had more fire power!
I don't believe so.
So I don't want you to bring me 9 Wood.
Ah...
You shouldn't be fine even when you don't have a Wood. Because this axe isn't a gift for you!

Sherman, you're fabulously wealthy. Couldn't you have given me a non-rusty axe?

Use this axe on a branch to make Wood!
I see.
By the way, if you lose it, you can't buy one from the weapon shop.
Ummm, So they do sell them?
Then please don't chop up lots of branches!
So he wants me to chop them up, right...?
Oh, you can't also throw items to hand them. But please don't be careful that someone else doesn't catch it. Because they won't think it's not a present!
I-I see...
So, Link. Bad luck!
Umm...thanks.

There's not much point in throwing items to people unless you're dragging them along to a dungeon, where you might want to throw healing items at them. But the option's there!

Chopping wood is a pretty low-key activity, so I do a round of socialization first.

Good morning to you too, Monica.

Umm...

Link's not that ugly!

I'm sorry.

I told her she was too slow at bagging, so now she just makes all the customers bag their own supplies!
Well, that's one solution.

Eat your vegetables, Rusk.

Delicious fish and a happy sister! That's all I need to be satisfied! Now, if I only had a cute...Actually, never mind!

Find a life outside fish and your sister, Carlos.

Go back to Rune Factory 1, generic NPC.

People shouldn't use the words love and hate so casually.
Huh? Why not?
You should only use powerful words.like that when you don't mean it.
Uh, right. Gotcha. (What is she saying? Man, it's not worth the effort to figure it out.)

Stop eavesdropping on villager conversations, Link.

I'm so busy.
Oh, yeah. Sorry...
I'm so busy. Why isn't anyone paying attention to me?
Huh?

I've got an idea! A stroke of true inspiration!
Really?
Yes! I just need to find a way to paint the moon! Maybe with a really tall ladder...
Um...good luck with that.

Let's sneak around the crazy elf and get that wood chopping done before she decides to coat Link with glitter or something.

Hit branches & stumps, wood comes out. Simple.

Until I forget that I was almost out of RP & that chopping wood actually takes a fair chunk of it earlygame.

When your dumb rear end gets KOed, you'll wake up back in the clinic. Normally you get charged, but Marjorie waives the fee this time.

Marian and Collette are friends for some reason. Maybe it's Collette's attempt at being memorable?

Mmmm...
Looks good, doesn't it?

Uh...that doesn't look good at all!

Link continues the conversation anyway, because he forgot what hints are.

Hey, Raven.
I don't like talking to people...
Huh...?
If you get near me, you'll become cursed, too...
...?

I got most of the way to the goal before dying, and scarfing down some medicinal herbs lets me get the last two lumber without incident.

Looks like I should've made it with Ironleaf instead of Turnip.
Why would that make a difference?

Ironleaf is a flower you can throw at enemies to cause damage. No, really.

Now I can't eat Seafood Gratin!
Umm, that's good...?
This isn't much, but it isn't for you. Please don't take it.
Thank you very much. Right...?
Yes, that's not right.
Ummm...?

Well then, I won't ask you again some other time.
Ah...

It turns out I misremembered and Blaise just gives you the kitchen counter for free. You still have to buy all the other kitchen tools, though.

Nah, I got plenty of spares. Gotta get my practice in, right? But just to clarify, you can only cook with your bare hands on a Kitchen Counter.
What if I want to cook more complex dishes?
You'll need other cooking appliances. You'll have to buy those separately.
I'll have to keep an eye out for those, then!
Okay, I'll deliver the Kitchen Counter to your house!
Sounds good!

The intial set of appliances isn't too pricy, but I have no reason to buy them now.

I thought I wanted Charm Blue for my bath today...but it turns out I felt like Toyherb instead!
Uh, what are you even talking about?

Can we buy Pia some sanity?

Welcome! Are you going to buy something?
Uh, maybe...I'm not...
Well, if you're not going to buy anything, you can always look! Looking's free, after all!
That's true.
But a lot of people end up buying. something after they take a look, so I recommend it!
Um, I'll think about it...

That might work better if you actually had things for sale.

(Sakuya's store only sells materials you've shipped, so there's no eligible items yet)

Is that why it's so hot?

I'm snooping around the blacksmith for Reasons.

The food left on the table all day is not the Reason.

There we go. It's Raven's diary.

Umm...'A strange man appeared today. He says he doesn't remember anything about his past. That's awfully suspicious...' Suspicious...?

Gaius' diary is less informative.

I spend the rest of the day clearing the field, which is productive but less than exciting to read about. Have a kitchen counter instead.

The Toyherbs and first batch of Pink Turnips are ready today. I sell most of them but hang on to one of each for gifting/hoarding/other future purposes.

One of the turnips drops a higher-level bag of seeds. Score!

Today's request is from Gaius. Spoilers: It's the mining tutorial quest.

I swing by the flower shop on my way to the blacksmith, and Shara has a surprise for us!

A little cologne can make a big difference.
I don't own any cologne.
Just come by any time I'm tending the store and I'll choose a scent for you.
You'll choose?
Of course! Is there something wrong with that?
Well, a guy's cologne is kind of a personal decision, don't you think?
Tee-hee. Don't worry. I'm a professional!

Shara will now have a random cologne on offer once a day. Each cologne provides an additional boost with a specific set of villagers. The villagers in question will have dialog about how good we smell before proceeding to their normal conversation.

Today's scent is:

Has to smell better than two-days-with-no-bath farm sweat.

If you get a rune, it will replenish some RP and raise a skill level. If you get a rune spirit, it will replenish some RP and raise one of your stats a bit. If you don't pick them up quick, they'll disappear, so keep an eye out for them.

In other words, Link's farm is intended to be the titular Rune Factory. I actually got a rune this morning, but I ran into it too quickly to get a screenshot.

Wells does not appreciate my attempt at an early morning nap.

Um.

There's a raccoon in Privera Forest? Well, I'm not really interested. I usually never go over there.

The cologne smelling like fish would explain why Carmen likes it.

I heard that raccoon was messing around with my statues in Privera Forest! What a jerk!

This raccoon sure is a big loving deal. It must be a slow news week. Aside from a mysterious amnesiac showing up and moving into the tree house, I mean.

Eek. So, baths feel so great.
Ah, baths feel great. They're nice.
Ummm...

I really have no witty commentary for Pia. I mean, what else is there to say? She's...Pia.

BREAKING NEWS: Raven spotted with a facial expression other than scowling.

What are you thinking about?
Shara's flowers...
Oh, yeah. They're pretty!
Flowers reflect the personalities of those that grew them...
Huh? What do you mean...?
Never mind.

Raven's actually a decent character, it's just a slow burn to get her to open up to you.

Do you think you could get some Iron for me?
Sure!
You'll need a hammer to mine for it, though. Here, use this one.
Really? Are you sure?
Yeah, it's no problem. Anyway, to mine for ore, you're going to want to hit the gray rocks you see in Privera Forest and other dungeons.
Gray rocks, you say?

These are different gray rocks than the ones on our farm. You'll see.

Yeah, gray rocks. Oh, also, you can mine with any kind of hammer, even those used for battle.

You can also use swords instead of sickles! But generally you want to stick to using the purpose-made farm tools, since they do the job faster.

I see...
Oh, and if you accidently lose your hammer, we have lots of them here at the shop.
Great! Thanks!
Well, I'm not going to give you a new one for free.
Uh, so I have to buy a new hammer from you if I lose this one...?
Yes. So I suggest not losing it. Thanks for your help!

Just don't think too hard about how we're going to break rocks with a wooden hammer.

Some colored grass can only grow in certain seasons! But we carry all of them in our store! Convenient, eh? I'll be waiting for you with my syringe!
Uh...what?

Uh, it looks like you're headed in that direction to me!

It looks like you're already in the diner to me!

While I'm here, let's check out the recipe bread. The only one of use right now is cooking bread, but that'll change.

Each recipe bread has a chance of being (thing) Bread+, which gives us more recipes than usual when we eat it.

I'll be stuffing Link's maw with recipe bread off-camera, since there's a ton of recipes to learn.

That stupid raccoon ate my Rice Ball! Without food, I'm gonna wither away...

Eat your vegetables, Rusk.

But you don't like any vegetables, right?
Of course not. I'm a pastry chef.

Enough loving around. Let's mine some iron.

This isn't the right part of the forest, but it's got a nice view.

Welcome to the first dungeon, Privera Forest. Here you see a deadly Wooly, waiting to murder us.

It takes all of Link's stealth abilities to sneak around this cunning foe so I can show off the farm plot. The various dungeons have plots scattered around that you can grow crops in, just like the main farm. Why would you want to farm all the way out in a dungeon? Because each one counts as a different climate, letting you grow out of season crops more easily. Privera Forest always counts as Spring for farming purposes.

Monsters will keep spawning out of these gates until we destroy the gate itself.

I accidentally kill the Wooly while whaling on the gate. :rip:

Lucky drops! Earth crystals are one form of elemental crystal, semi-rare drops that can be used to enhance weapons & armor. Clippers are used to trim wool from Woolies, and the Woolies carry them around for...some...reason...

Mining rocks located.

I kind of get my rear end handed to me. I'm good at this game, I swear!

Half the problem is that I'm not a fan of long swords, and the slow attack speed is a killer this early on. I pick up a hammer so I can use something I'm more familiar with.

I also get a shield so I have actual defenses, and detour to the bathhouse so I can get my HP & RP back.

Um.

I used to dream of sailing the seas when I was younger. The smell of the ocean breeze, fishing in the open sea...sounds great, right?! Well, I ended up becoming a fisherman, which isn't so bad. I mean, I can still fish, right?

300 gold is a steal for a full heal, honestly.

After beating on enough Woolies to get a skill up, I get this too! :getin:

I learned the axe and hammer dash attack! Attack after a running start to perform a spinning attack!

This is going to be the bread and butter of multi-enemy fights for a while. Hits multiple enemies, knocks them back, sometimes stuns them for a bit. What's not to like?

This early on, way too much of our mining yield is going to be scrap metal(which is as useless as it sounds). I end up getting a single piece of Iron out of the rocks here.

Gaius, it's almost 10:30pm. Maybe you should go to bed.

Wait, you've been working this whole time?
Yeah. I think I'd fall asleep instantly if I put my hammer down.
Heh, well, I don't know about THAT...
Since you got this iron for me, though, I can keep going for a while longer. Thanks.
You're welcome.
Now, I should give you something in return for your help.
Why don't you give him your hammer...?
Mine? Why mine?
A newer hammer would be an.improvement over what he currently has...You'd like Gauis' hammer, right...?
What? Uh, sure...I mean, if it's being offered...
I don't mind. Here you...

He's fine...He just fell asleep...
Uh...did he really fall asleep because he let go of his hammer?
Gaius has a one-track mind when he's forging. It's all he can think about. That's why I always try to make sure that he runs out of materials when it's time to go to sleep...
Ah! So he stayed up too long because I gave him the iron to use.
Yeah...
I'm sorry.
Don't worry about it. It's not your fault.
Thanks. I guess I shouldn't take his hammer from him.
Are you sure...?
Yeah, it's fine.
I see...

We did it?

I'll carry Gaius up to his bed...
I-I'm sorry.

Man, he needs sleep, and badly.

So do we, but I squeeze out a little more chopping before bed. Never not be grinding skills & items.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 8, 2017

• Locked thread