Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Now I'm curious as to how janky Rune Factory 2 is.

The short answer: Relatively less janky than Rune Factory 1 but far more janky than 3. The generation mechanic in that game makes things really stilted in a lot of ways with regards to crafting and difficulty curve, and they definitely hadn't made enough of a leap in writing quality to have very memorable characters.

The long answer: I mentioned a generation mechanic; in RF2 you play the first half (well, more like half-to-third) of the game as Kyle, the red-headed dork on all the promo materials, and then after you're married and have a kid, plot happens and suddenly you timeskip ten years or so and you're playing as the kid.

This is an interesting way of handling the story, except for one wrinkle: all of your crafting stations are inside the school you attend as the kid protag. In addition, there's no helpful blacksmith character to upgrade your tools like in RF1 or RF3. You literally do not have access to any way to improve your tools or equipment until you've already bum-rushed through the entirety of the first part of the game. The game compensates for this by making all of the dungeons in the first part of the game piss-easy, as in "can beat without trying" levels of easy, since the first part is mostly there to choose your "real" main character's mother and establish tone.

What this leads to is spending approximately forever in the first part of the game grinding monster drops and low-tier ores (you can only get up to silver or rarely gold without upgraded equipment, no matter how hard you try) and having to hoard it like a bad TLC show.

As for the vote, let's go with the boring defaults. Something about the naming in RF3 amuses me for all the wrong reasons. "This town is Sharance, home of the Sharance Tree! In the Sharance Tree is the Sharance Farm, and have you met my neighbor Shara?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, the Bean Throwing Contest is pretty explicitly Setsubun with the cultural association filed off. It's a lot easier to explain "throw beans at people to chase off bad luck" than it is to try to explain what oni are and why you'd wear masks representing them.

Also, something that screenshots don't really get across is that poo poo gets pretty bullet hell at the end. It's easier to dodge the failed dishes if you're further back, but that also means you have more problems getting the beans with which to do a score good.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I think the license actually went with Neverland to its grave. I'd be amazed at there being anything Rune Factory again, ever.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Leraika posted:

By the time I learned how to make Relax Tea

This right here's the problem. Even if Relax Tea wasn't stupidly high level cooking (how hard is it to make some goddamn tea) the fact that you need not one, but two recipe breads to go your way (since the only sane way to get Relax Tea is through making Relax Tealeaves) means that by the time you can make it, it's just sort of... there.

It kind of falls into the same trap that Royal Curry does in that it's super good but why bother when you could just make, like, sushi ice cream and get most of the same effect for a fraction of the effort and sunk cost.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

Its so hard to decide which Lunatic becomes your bride. :allears:

It's fantastic that Sherman is not an option. I guess the next worst thing would be considering Sofia.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Though Raven apparently also being a transformy thing like us does make it seem more fitting, I suppose...

And don't forget Pia. :kimchi:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, I mean, if your choices are between Squall Leonhart and Garfield the cat...

At least Pia's oddness isn't a danger to herself or others. Neither is Daria's, really, unless you're her "assistant".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TurnipFritter posted:

She's a threat to the Splatoon franchise

I stand by what I said, she only brings good to this world :colbert:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Haifisch posted:

The geography of the Rune Factory world is never relevant to the plot(aside from the Sechs Empire invasions in 1 and 4), but you can get more details here if you want.

I still find it kind of weird that the town in RF1, which is isolated and insular, is the one listed as a Silk Road allusion, whereas RF3's frequently-visited, vaguely Eastern-themed town seated next to actual communists is "a quaint mountain town". :downs:

It's not a typo, though, that's actually what's in the Japanese artbook - which is the closest the series has or will ever get to a Word of God.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Old Greg posted:

You can save scum through them, at least. Don't know when they lock in but I swear I've re-loaded a save from an hour or two before and gotten different weather.

Two days. Tomorrow's weather is determined when you wake up today, basically. It's like that in every RF and HM game as far as I know.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CptWedgie posted:

Actually, as counterintuitive as it may sound, I would recommend actually eating them. After all, as shown in that skill update at the end, status resistances are counted as skills. Therefore, eating the various poisonous mushrooms (which, if I'm remembering correctly, can inflict nearly any status problem depending on the specimen) can count as immunization training! :pseudo:

Thanks for the tip, Marian.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Commander Keene posted:

I don't know about any other HM/RF games, but I've savescummed to avoid typhoons in the first RF by saving the night before and reloading when I wake up. It's the reason I save before bed and not after waking up. If weather was determined the day before, I shouldn't be able to do that.

It might only be true for games where you can get an "accurate reading" on the weather the day before, then - eg RF2, HM SNES, etc.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MightyPretenders posted:

Does anyone remember when Evelyn looked like the sane one in her family?

I do. She's quite well-grounded and her ideas in fashion are phenomenal.

That said, maybe she actually is the sane one, since she's the one of-age lady in town other than Marjorie and Shino who wouldn't get in bed with a wooly.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

This is kind of a minor detail but I love that it's called the "Catch The Biggest Fish Contest" instead of just the "Fishing Contest". It's the most literal naming possible, it's like calling a footrace "Run To The End Of The Track Fastest Contest".

The Sharance USA Tri-Annual Race To The End of the Race. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pretty sure the top tiers of weapons start requiring things like boss drops, too. I know they do in RF4.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Last Transmission posted:

Haha, yeah, about that. The cost is based on Link's level and you can get it high enough that Marjorie will demand all of your money. I really do mean as much as your wallet can possibly hold.

At that point you should have your infinite tuna-money scheme going full swing.

Yeah, that's the one thing that RF4 didn't fix from RF3 - in fact, since gaining money is harder and levelling up is easier in that game, it gets to absurd points a whole hell of a lot quicker. :gibs:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hey girl you up posted:

Karina's parentheticals confuse me. Are they thoughts or are they muttered under her breath? Is only the player privy to them, or do the people around her hear them and ignore them?

I think they're meant to be thoughts.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

Does the chaos blade actually inflict paralysis on you now and again?

Nope, on the enemies you hit with it. As far as I know there’s no such thing as a “cursed weapon” in the Rune Factory games.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Haifisch posted:

What the hell were you expecting?!

Three people, same as theirs. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Haifisch posted:

They had the characters to make it Silver, but didn't. :iiam:

It just means its special monster power is High Quality Rips.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Haifisch posted:

This also is pretty late in the game, relatively speaking. RF3 goes by fast if you know what you're doing and are even vaguely focused on your goals. I probably could have gotten far enough in the plot to be married by mid-summer if I wasn't aiming to show off more than the bare minimum needed to see the credits roll.

Yeah, unlike Rune Factory 2, which gates half of its content behind the timeskip, and Rune Factory 4, which explicitly has three seperate "main plot" lines to get through before you're done, RF3 is pretty drat streamlined if you just rush the plotpoints. There's not too much of a postgame, either, similar to 1.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Commander Keene posted:

Look, this game is just keeping up the proud Rune Factory tradition of the most interesting characters not being available.

Yeah. In RF1, Jasper was the only person around that even resembled "a character", RF2 had Tanya out of reach, and RF4 taunts you with Porcoline and Illuminata.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RabidWeasel posted:

SMH fools who don't want to marry Best Dragon.

I wasn't gonna bring it up, but I do agree.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Porcoline I can understand
But illuminata?

...She's better than the other member of that household, at least.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Kuruna because she's the only one that actually does poo poo and have things together roughly, while for the others we'd be basically parent as well as husband

Also fits the theme of the game best aside from maybe Raven (and technically Pia)

Similarly, Kuruna because she's the only one willing to call Link out on being as thick as a tree trunk.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zebrin posted:

Wow, poor Shara, not even a single vote.

Who? Stop making up characters, Goon Zebrin.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theshim posted:

Man, it would almost be worth marrying Marian just to have Marjorie as an in-law :allears:

On the flip-side, it explains that Marjorie lets Marian be a walking crime against humanity because she thinks it's hilarious.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

Well, this is an unusual turn of events. Weirdly it seems to fit Pia, but I imagine it happens just the same with anyone?

It does. Raven and Pia at least have a way to get over to that remote little island. Don't ask me how they expect their Canon Boring Partner to get over there since nobody in this game seems to swim, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, Aquaticus' entire logic for kidnapping Pia barely makes sense considering she's a mermaid, but it'd be actively contradictory if Link married Raven since she's a phoenix. Amazing.

Not even gods know Raven's secret. :smith:

• Locked thread