Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My God, the characters in this game are not making a good showing, and right out of the gate, too. I played a small amount of this game years ago, and decided I didn't like it for reasons I can't quite remember. Maybe the characters are what put me off the game.

I mean, Pia seems like she might be endearing, but who thought Sherman or Colette sounded like anyone anybody would like to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Delacroix posted:

RF3 was a giant step up from the GBA HMs for me, the characters may be hit or miss but the gameplay is undeniably better.

It's a shame you can't date Shino or Gaius. :(
Well, from what I understand, the RF series is especially good at making the best characters in each game not one of the available choices.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gaius confirmed for best character. He must not be drinking the water. Or maybe whatever pointy-eared fantasy race he's supposed to be part of is immune to the crazy that seems to be going around.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazeEmblem posted:

His in-game description says that he is a dwarf.

And while I agree he is the sanest, his quirks show up during his requests, not in this introduction.
That's fine though. That's how social interaction goes with normal, well-adjusted humans in real life; put your best face forward to make a good first impression. Once they get to know you a bit, then you let them know how crazy you are. :P

Most of the people in this town, however, don't seem to get that and put their :byodood: face on at all times.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MythosDragon posted:

As much as graphics are the absolute last thing that matters, jesus those models burn my eyes now. Its like they compressed an image as far as they could before it divided by zero.

Also seriously why isnt Evelyn a ring bearer option, shes in the age range and everything, I think she's unique in just getting shafted like that, everyone else is a mom or something,
Maybe her marriage option ended up getting cut to meet deadlines or something?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Haifisch posted:

...did Link just get roped into a drug smuggling ring?
THE HEAVY SPICE MUST FLOW!

Haifisch posted:

I wonder if that extends to mantis shrimp? They're pretty rainbowy.
That is seriously psychadelic.

Haifisch posted:

I don't hate Shara, I just find her soulcrushingly boring. But maybe you readers will feel differently?
I suppose she's generic anime instead of ridiculous anime like everyone else is, which could make her seem "boring". Fortunately for her in my eyes, most of the townsfolk in this game seem pretty annoying. Pia and Shara seem the most tolerable of the bachelorettes so far. The Coquille family's opposite-speak is especially bad, partly mainly due to Link's absolute refusal to get a drat clue, even after it's been explained to him directly several times.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zagglezig posted:

Just got through the backlog. I sorta figured Fia was probably a mermaid, but part of me half expected her to turn into the water itself with the way she asked if you were a bath and how she was a bath, but I guess that's regular crazy.

I kinda wonder how Sasha is making that cologne. Once you've gotten to fish and iron, I feel you've entered a whole different setup from distilling and mixing flower oil.

Also, you've got a bold tag issue on the Tutorial Quests R Us update: [/b]don't[/b]
Yeah, I half assumed Pia was some sort of water elemental/spirit from that bit of dialogue. I guess the ear-fin-things are supposed to tip you off, though, or maybe it's not supposed to take so long for you to have a rainy day. Basing something with even a slight amount of plot-relevance like this off of random chance smacks of poor game design to me, and allowing the player to "sequence break" like this by random chance seems a bit clumsy. Maybe mandate a rainy day after she gets to one heart and then have a cutscene for the reveal?

Well, I mean there's probably some oils you could extract from a fish to make fish perfume/cologne. People actually using the cologne seems fishy to me, but it could exist, and probably has at some point.

You got me on iron, though. Does iron even have a scent?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well that's just deceptive naming, then. Call it "Scents of the Forge", not "Iron".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Link posted:

Hmm...Touching that orb brought back some of my memories. But so much of my past is still blank. Maybe I can find more orbs like that one.
Oh, does Micah/"Link" actually regain his memory in this game? IIRC, most Rune Factory protagonists defy the amnesia trope by never regaining their memory and only having their pasts hinted at. If he does, he'd be defying the usual Rune Factory plot design by embracing the trope... @_@

Link posted:

Huh? Oh, yeah! S-She sure did. Because I looked totally human, of course.
Smooth, Link. Nobody will think you're a transforming wrestlesheep now.

Shara posted:

You should be able to fit a forge up here.
I'm not sure it's wise to stick a burning furnace in a treehouse. There's a reason almost all forges and smelters were made completely from stone. But I suppose you do you, Rune Factory.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glazius posted:

Can sheep use weapons, or would the ref disqualify you for a foreign object?
Be glad the wrestlesheep can't use weapons. This world isn't ready for spearsheep or swordssheep.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Haifisch posted:

A rare glimspe of a villager's full outfit. I'm not sure she has enough belts.
Better call Tetsuya Nomura, then.

Also, there's no button combination to hide the text boxes like in RF4?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Micah for the sheep -- good idea, that.

For the Buffamoo, how about Malon?
These seem fine to me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's the way it works in the other Rune Factory games I've played.

I assume Star Trek replicators and Dragon Ball capsules are at work here.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Over in another video game series, there are some Monster Hunters who made a lot of money off a quest to capture a giant sheep.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And to go with it, KFC Tyson.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Haifisch posted:

Iron is an important nutrient. I'm sure.
To be fair to Gaius, he isn't wrong.

And I assume the thought process on Pia being barefoot is because her legs turn into a fish's tailfin in mermaid form. But then they gave her leggings, completely negating the design decision. RUNE FACTORY! :argh:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pathfinder SRD posted:

Strongtail A few merfolk have broad, strong tails that are more suited for land travel than the typical merfolk tail. Merfolk with this racial trait have a land speed of 15 feet and a swim speed of 30 feet.
Seems reasonable to me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If we don't pick Comrade Unicorn I'll launch a coup in this LP!

Unless it involves her liberalizing, in which case it's better to stay away from her I suppose...
I'd bet dollars to donuts Kuruna's character arc involves learning that humans aren't all bad and cooperation and THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP are stronger than the Communist Party.

Currently I'd be voting for Pia, because at least her flavor of insanity is relatively benign, and is explainable by her being a literal fish out of water. I mean, she probably learned human behavior and etiquette from a seagull or dolphin or something.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So which NPC is the best fighter in this game? There doesn't seem to be anyone like Forte from RF4 with obvious fighting skills anywhere. Considering there's absolutely no military presence anywhere in Norad, and the strongest person in town is usually a random amnesiac farmer, it's a wonder Sechs doesn't own the place already. I suppose they're just afraid of the dragons at this point, and maybe the sudden rash of nigh-invulnerable amnesiacs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leraika posted:

All things being equal, probably Raven, but the amount of work you have to put into raising an NPC buddy really isn't worth it when even the best ones have AI issues and WILL NOT SHUT UP.

Sakuya's also very useful, but in a way that hasn't been touched on yet.

e: going by stated ability, though, Shino could probably solo most of the empire. Don't gently caress with Shino.

MightyPretenders posted:

Shino starts at level 20, but since she has a day job (and is not a love interest) she's inconvenient to recruit for a long dungeon-crawling session.
Oh, yeah, Ninja Mom would probably be the best fighter in town, wouldn't she?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KataraniSword posted:

Two days. Tomorrow's weather is determined when you wake up today, basically. It's like that in every RF and HM game as far as I know.
I don't know about any other HM/RF games, but I've savescummed to avoid typhoons in the first RF by saving the night before and reloading when I wake up. It's the reason I save before bed and not after waking up. If weather was determined the day before, I shouldn't be able to do that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure hammers won't hurt your crops, due to mining hammers not being used to plant/harvest crops. I don't think axes will, either, due to lumber axes not interacting with crops. I'm also almost certain that the gloves in RF4 don't directly map to a tool and thus don't harm crops, but I don't even know if they're in this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hammers only affect soil when there's no crop in it, at least in RF1.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In between the scene before and the one in this update, it really seems like Sofia's character quirk is the most actively harmful to her. I mean, unless it turns out Pia can't actually breathe air or something, she's got it the worst.

Haifisch posted:

Alvarna is the town from RF2. I have no clue what Lillyland is and google isn't helping either.
Maybe they were trying to foreshadow the setting of the next Rune Factory?

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, she came to pick up some food for Sherman.
You have this line twice; once in the screenshot above, and then transcribed here.

Haifisch posted:

Okay. But you guys look awfully suspicious. You've got that whole "private investigator" fashion going today.
Perhaps Evelyn is secretly the sharpest person in town? I mean, unless Link and Sofia were wearing trenchcoats and fedoras and had bubble pipes in their hands, most of the rest of the townsfolk wouldn't notice that they seemed to be investigating something.

Haifisch posted:

We've been looking for you, Iron Man!
Does this make Sofia Pepper Potts?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, I see. Daria has synesthesia, and perceives everything as colors. That explains a lot, really.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LordHippoman posted:

I have so many questions about mermaid culture now.
I imagine Pia is considered as odd and eccentric by the other mermaids as she is by humans, and they'd be just as bewildered by her behavior as we are.

Besides, crowbars are metal; they'd rust underwater.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Link can just say he needed a replacement for his Iron Boots. Gold is very heavy, and doesn't rust or tarnish underwater. Of course, it's also non-ferrous, so no Twilight Princess magnetism shenanigans with Gold Boots.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shadow Panther: Rei
Hornet: BuzBuz
Silver Wolf: Gabo

And for the Scorpion, since I can't think of anything better within the 6-character limit:

BlazeEmblem posted:

Scorpion: Sub0 You can do numbers in the names, right?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Epicmissingno posted:

Wait, Link actually lost some Int by levelling up? What sort of sense does that make?
It's called "Gameplay and Story Integration".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Haifisch posted:

Hmmm, yes. I will.
Should this be Link's portrait, or is Shino talking to herself? Also, nice sales technique there, Shino. Real subtle.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leraika posted:

Shino not being a bachelorette is a travesty.
Look, this game is just keeping up the proud Rune Factory tradition of the most interesting characters not being available.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pia.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazeEmblem posted:

Wow, the animators fully expected you to marry Shara. Why would anyone willingly marry her, except for their eleventh playthrough?
I'll be honest, she's better than the likes of Collette or Marian. Boring anime is better than hyper-aggressive anime in terms of character personalities.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm imagining all that work, only to find that Pia was just holed up in the women's baths preparing the perfect Newlyweds Bath, which happened to involve picking some herbs catching some squid from next to the ruin entrance.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KataraniSword posted:

It does. Raven and Pia at least have a way to get over to that remote little island. Don't ask me how they expect their Canon Boring Partner to get over there since nobody in this game seems to swim, ever.
Do Carlos and Carmen have a boat? Or does the pair of siblings obsessed with fishing having a boat make too much sense for this game?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, Aquaticus' entire logic for kidnapping Pia barely makes sense considering she's a mermaid, but it'd be actively contradictory if Link married Raven since she's a phoenix. Amazing.
Wait, do you mean someone might not want to marry Shara? What is this strange alternate reality I find myself in?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leraika posted:

But yeah, I remembered Aquaticus's motives being a lot more benevolent than they were, more of a prove your love so we're not making things worse for everything than a gently caress YOU, YOU DISGUSTING HALF-BREED. gently caress that guy.
I think the "gently caress YOU, YOU DISGUSTING HALF-BREED" before the fight there was part of the test? His motive stated after the battle seemed to be to restore the harmony between humans and monsters/nonhumans in the village environs to the Sharance Tree would bloom again. He's still an rear end in a top hat dragon who stole a guy's life and memories in order to accomplish that goal, and refuses to give them back also as part of his "test", but I don't think fantasy racism is one of his faults; in fact, it kind of seems like the opposite, although it might just be because "dammit, you mortals and your feuds are RUINING my garden!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LordHippoman posted:

I cannot describe the joy I feel every time I see a new festival name in this game.

"Catch A Variety Of Fish Contest"

It's like they just gave that part of the writing to a 1950's-esque robot and slowly waited for it to churn them out while working on the rest of the game.
It probably sounds less awkward in Japanese, and this is the one area where the localization falls flat compared to the older Rune Factory games. Seriously, did the guy who slipped a "Finding Nemo" quote into Pia's dialogue call in sick the day they worked on the contest/festival names?

• Locked thread