Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Jolo posted:

Shea has this great ability to tell it like it is without sounding like she's lecturing someone. There's a really fine line and she's got it. I loving loved her telling Nina that she's done telling her to be confident in herself and that next time she's gonna whoop her rear end.

Shea's killing it, she has control of the room similar to Bob last year.

As for Peppermint, her performance in the LSFYL was a lot of fun but I hope that she has a second gear if/when she had to LSFYL again. So many queens burn up all of their tricks during their first battle then there's nothing new to show off... Detox and Katya spring to mind. Peppermint could have a second performance in her that's completely different, or at least I hope so.

Finally:

https://twitter.com/dvvidmurray/status/858288639238909952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Flyinglemur posted:

I am rapidly getting on Shea's bandwagon.

Referring to Nina as Chris Rock in the last episode was loving hilarious.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Pinwiz11 posted:

Shea's killing it, she has control of the room similar to Bob last year.

As for Peppermint, her performance in the LSFYL was a lot of fun but I hope that she has a second gear if/when she had to LSFYL again. So many queens burn up all of their tricks during their first battle then there's nothing new to show off... Detox and Katya spring to mind. Peppermint could have a second performance in her that's completely different, or at least I hope so.

Finally:

https://twitter.com/dvvidmurray/status/858288639238909952

With the editing on the show, I wasn't sure that was a fan creation until I re-read the tweet.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It reminds me of my personal favorite, UNHhhh but every time katya laughs that clip of trixie falling plays

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

It seems to me that the reason Snatch Game had such a neither-here-nor-there quality to it this year is that everyone came with a gimmick. So really, barring the bottom 3, especially CLF, everyone managed to land at least one joke. But no one really had more than that. Trininty had the whole can't-move-her-face schtick, and Valentina cried about Steve Harvey, but then they were done. Even Shea, who had one great answer, wasn't showcased beyond that -- but that was probably because she was in the middle so editing didn't focus on her. It's possible that she was middle-pack if for no other reason so Nina could get a confidence boost from being in the top 3. Which, if that's true, I'm honestly cool with that. Nina felt like she had a fairly realized character in her Jasmine with a look, a voice, an attitude, and a running gag in her answers, so A for effort.

And that's why Alexis and Sasha rounded out the top 3. If nothing else, they presented characters. Though when Sasha said she would do Judith Butler I was like "Girl, what the gently caress? Clearly, if you're gonna do a lesbian cultural critic for Snatch Game it can only be Camille Paglia!" But no one really went big. Alexis had personality and physical comedy in her routine, so her victory was practically guaranteed.

Speaking of, Peppermint's lip sync was loaded with personality, which, in a long series of death drops and jumping splits, is something we've lost a little of in the lip syncs. I once read people try to defend the Oops! I did it again lip sync in season 5 by saying "it's a hard song to perform! You can't death drop to it!", so I think the judges were happy someone did something that wasn't rote.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I think the jokes were weirdly a little more high-brow instead of the usual dick jokes. Heady dick jokes. You don't usually hear the word "Teutonic" thrown around on Drag Race.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 2, 2017

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

Speaking of, Peppermint's lip sync was loaded with personality, which, in a long series of death drops and jumping splits, is something we've lost a little of in the lip syncs. I once read people try to defend the Oops! I did it again lip sync in season 5 by saying "it's a hard song to perform! You can't death drop to it!", so I think the judges were happy someone did something that wasn't rote.

Did people try to defend that lip sync? I feel like it was just the same problem every time there's a double elim- an energetic song performed with so little enthusiasm and energy that it's offensive.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The judges always, or Ru and Michelle anyway, love it when someone cabbagepatches.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Shneak posted:

Referring to Nina as Chris Rock in the last episode was loving hilarious.

My impression was that she was calling "Jasmin Masters" Chris Rock. Either way, it definitely was hilarious.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Holy gently caress Valentina, did you use industrial strength double-sided tape? Jesus.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yeah, that looked painful. Still, how do you keep it on through all the judging?

Aja: GGGGG

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Aja's makeup looks absolutely awful

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008
I thought it was a great episode, lack of mini-challenge notwithstanding. The acting challenge was painful to watch but then again, those always are.

I reaaaaally thought Shea was gonna win, but I guess Trinity looked better on the runway. In fact, I would actually toot everyone this week, even Aja.

Man it's so hard to call this season... Shea so far is the only one that has been consistently killing it week after week, everyone else is either just there or has had their ups and downs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Are people watching a different show? This episode/season has been so :effort:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I felt like this episode was the first one where everyone was bringing it to another level, even though some may have fell more flat on the acting challenge than others.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I dunno I think it's because there are a lot of really good queens so it's hard to pick your top three standouts. Bob and Bianca were so dominant on their seasons they pretty much stole the show.

That was a good episode! One of the better acting challenges imo. It was really only Aja and Nina that bombed their acting (Peppermint was only ok but didn't have many lines).

My top three picks are Shea, Valentina... and I'm not sure on the third. Probably Trinity. Sasha and Nina are still way too in their own heads. At some point there will be a comedy challenge and I can't see Sasha, Nina, or Alexis being very funny. Farrah has been in the background this whole season but as other posters have suggested, maybe she has plot armor.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Calling my top three - Shea, Valentina, and Sasha.

Man, I held my breath with who was going home. I'm a sucker for an underdog so I was rooting for Nina. Can't say I'm too sorry Aja went home. She's a mess and I'm not even sure how she survived this long.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

God drat I'm sick of watching Untucked and being surprised at how different (usually better) the outfits look backstage compared to on the runway.

Anyway, kinda sad ...Aja went home. No way she was going to win but she was pretty entertaining all the same. Like a less annoying, less emotionally unstable Laganja.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I have friends of friends in the Atlanta drag scene and they say Nina isn't ostracized for any reason other than that she's intolerable irl in the same way as she is on the show. A major social liability and more trouble than she's worth.

Dear Prudence posted:

Calling my top three - Shea, Valentina, and Sasha.
This is the true top three imo, with Peppermint for Miss Congeniality. She's such a genuine sweetheart.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

spite house posted:

I have friends of friends in the Atlanta drag scene and they say Nina isn't ostracized for any reason other than that she's intolerable irl in the same way as she is on the show. A major social liability and more trouble than she's worth.

This is the true top three imo, with Peppermint for Miss Congeniality. She's such a genuine sweetheart.

Yeah I adore Nina and it's always been obvious that she super easily falls into maladaptive patterns of thought, so I was never convinced the Atlanta scene was out to get her.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
I love Nina's looks, but I am over her attitude. She makes it hard to want to root for her. It would make sense that Atlanta queens would struggle dealing with her personality too. Tori and Jenny sensed her anger and they really didn't seem to do anything beyond giving direction. That is not a good first impression or way to win people over. Her creativity alone can't save her.

As for top three, my only guess is Shea makes it. She is consistent. Valentina is probably there too. Sasha, Alexis, and Trinity are all toss ups for third place. I see strengths and weaknesses in all three. Personally, I would love Trinity to make it, but I am not holding my breath for it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It figures the episode Aja goes home is the one I actually feel bad for her in. Yeah she has a bad attitude and she was bad in the challenge but she finally had a good runway look and lip sync.

Nina you're next sorry.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Nina you're next sorry.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she is next. Her attitude is so bad. So much talent and she can't get out of her own way. Last night when they were calling her out on being difficult to work with, Mama Rue looked so done with her. And then she made the comment about how yeah, she was angry and she seemed very angry herself about that. Girl, you only have yourself to blame.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dear Prudence posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she is next. Her attitude is so bad. So much talent and she can't get out of her own way. Last night when they were calling her out on being difficult to work with, Mama Rue looked so done with her. And then she made the comment about how yeah, she was angry and she seemed very angry herself about that. Girl, you only have yourself to blame.

I also had the same thought as Michelle before she gave Nina her critique. Nina needs to mix up her looks and particularly silhouette, she does cool stuff but it's getting formulaic. Bodysuit, breastplate, huge hip pads, some crazy makeup or headpiece. I was hoping she'd get a redemption arc but it seems like that's just her personality and it ain't gonna change.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
That photo of young Trinity, drat, she was cute as a boy before she got all of that plastic surgery.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
i didn't realize michelle visage often wears wigs until this episode.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Scuttlebutt is that the next episode will be a comedy challenge. I can see Farrah and Nina being bottom if that's the case, possibly Sasha. I think if Nina does what Michelle says, changes up her runway, then she'll get the boot immediately afterwards. That's usually how it goes. I don't think Farrah is going to go much farther, but she's so cute and endearing, I really like her, which has surprised me. I didn't think I'd care about her at all, but she's grown on me a lot.

I relate a lot to Nina, I have pretty gross anxiety and I know how that paranoia feels and the way she is just kind of lovely at other people so they don't get a chance to hurt or disappoint her. It sucks, but it also makes it hard to watch her and like her as a reality tv personality.

This runway was loving sick, I love when they get to do crazy huge wigs and poo poo. It was really fun, the only one I was kind of meh with was Alexis, even though I liked what she did with the hair dress. Aja's also getting a lot better with her makeup.

My top three is Shea, Valentina and Trinity. I can see Alexis or Sasha making it up there, and maybe Peppermint. I think this is a really strong season, there's a lot of great talent, and it's nice when there isn't such a stand out queen like Bob or Bianca. It feels more like season 7, where there wasn't really a clear winner (though Violet was loving sick the whole time).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

,haeY]My top three is Shea, Valentina and Trinity. I can see AlexisorSasha making it up there, and maybe Peppermint. I think this is a really strong season, there's a lot of great talent, and it's nice when there isn't such a stand out queen like Bob or Bianca. It feels more like season 7, where there wasn't really a clear winner (though Violet was loving sick the whole time).

Yeah, it's like Season 7 in that there is no clear winner. But in season 7, I also didn't care who won at that point because I didn't care for any of them, whereas here in season 9, I'd be happy with any of that top 5 winning.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's kinda bizarre how many triple threat types there are this season. Like, Jinkx won S5 as the strongest performer of the bunch, even if her runways weren't that great, and Violet won S7 for having the most creative looks, despite her lack of acting abilities, but here we are with multiple queens who can compete with them in comedy and fashion both.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I really hope they fired whoever did the lighting for season 9

I have officially lost my patience during the runways because of the blown out purplish look (I noticed it was a bit purple during the prom scene in 9021-ho as well). It's like I can't fully appreciate the runway looks until Untucked.

God. drat. It.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I don't think Farrah is going to go much farther, but she's so cute and endearing, I really like her, which has surprised me. I didn't think I'd care about her at all, but she's grown on me a lot.
Me too. I think she's my all-time favorite relative nonentity, and gosh, so SO pretty.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Inadequate Areolas posted:

I really hope they fired whoever did the lighting for season 9

I have officially lost my patience during the runways because of the blown out purplish look (I noticed it was a bit purple during the prom scene in 9021-ho as well). It's like I can't fully appreciate the runway looks until Untucked.

God. drat. It.

Yeah it really sucks. All of the runway lights are so goddamn purple that you can't tell what the hell the looks are supposed to be exactly. I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea for the whole season.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Scuttlebutt is that the next episode will be a comedy challenge. I can see Farrah and Nina being bottom if that's the case, possibly Sasha.
I feel like Sasha's quite funny, but a little too self-consciously high-brow. She probably looks down on going really broad and that's gonna sink her. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't think fart jokes were funny.

I'm fully on the Shea train at this point with Valentina and probably Trinity rounding out top 3. I'm not much for pageant queens, but Trinity gives me Chad Michaels vibes - she's a professional.

RuPaul threatening to beat the gently caress out of Farrah for being born in 1993 was the best.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 6, 2017

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
So glad to see Aja finally go. I pegged her as first out with that atrocious make up.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

This runway was loving sick, I love when they get to do crazy huge wigs and poo poo. It was really fun, the only one I was kind of meh with was Alexis, even though I liked what she did with the hair dress. Aja's also getting a lot better with her makeup.

I feel like the last major thing Aja needs to do to get better with her makeup is fix that drat upper lip that's been driving me crazy ever since the volcano look, and after that it's just doing it over and over until she gets the hang of it.

I hope Sasha has to lipsync but makes it to the top 3 anyway. I just want to see her kill someone onstage. My other 2 picks are obviously Sasha and Valentina.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If we're making predictions... calling my top 3: Trinity, Shea, and Valentina. Sasha will come 4th and everyone will be mad about it. Peppermint will win Miss Congeniality.
Next out: Nina, then Farrah, Alexis, and Peppermint, in that order.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

If we're making predictions... calling my top 3: Trinity, Shea, and Valentina. Sasha will come 4th and everyone will be mad about it. Peppermint will win Miss Congeniality.
Next out: Nina, then Farrah, Alexis, and Peppermint, in that order.

yeah, :agreed:

Trinity, Shea, and Valentina all seem like triple threats. They've been consistently strong in their runway looks, can act, and be funny. I guess we'll see in next week's comedy challenge just how comedically talented they are, but based on everything we've seen so far all three are going to deliver solid runways, acting, and character. Trinity is a bitch but she's a good kind of bitch where it's not whiny or hurtful. She just tells it like she sees it, hunny.

Sasha, Peppermint, Alexis, and even Nina (though she'd have to have to do a total 180 on her attitude) all could rise to top three. They all seem to be a bit stuck in their heads and not really letting loose in the goofy or acting challenges. I don't think they'll do well with the comedy challenge, but I'd loved to be surprised.

Farrah seems an obvious elimination in the next episode or two, she's been in the background. I agree she's sweet and gorgeous but also really whiny and her only standout moment for me was her Madonna Super Bowl runway, otherwise she's forgettable.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Yay! Aja's gone!

I really hope top three is either Valentina, Trinity, Sasha or Shea. You go girls!

I have a feeling it's gonna be Farrah vs Nina next week...

Peppermint's runway was loving fierce!

Nina better knock off this attitude bullshit. You Betta work or GO HOME.

Oh yeah, and then there's Alexis. I almost forgot.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Apart from her tantrum about acting roles, I find Aja's attitude pretty likable. She doesn't seem to take herself too seriously, but speaks her mind enough to leave an impression. It does seem like being on the show was a helluva learning experience for her.

Nina was and still is my favorite, since I can't get enough of look queens, but bitch has seriously got to let go of her angst. Judging by her current presence on social media, though, I don't have high hopes.

I feel sorta bad for Alexis. She's clearly a polished queen and could've even killed previous seasons, but she really doesn't stand out from her more unique competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Alexis just feels like...we've seen it before. She probably would have killed in earlier seasons, but it's season nine. She's okay, she's a solid queen, but she's nothing new and she doesn't stand out. There's nothing wrong with her. Just everyone else left is more interesting.

I do feel bad for her, too. She's just too late.

• Locked thread