Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sasha and Peppermint watch the Finale: http://www.logotv.com/video-clips/l0rd0i/rupauls-drag-race-season-9-queens-reaction

(YouTube rip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sR-aCWxI4g)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

dusty in here isn't it

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

This was the best finale we've had in a long time because of the new format. I really, really hope season 10 follows suit. It's much more entertaining, especially with the old style, no audience reunion episode.

Agreed, I don't think I could go back to the normal format after this. It was so much more fun to watch.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

if they could make the next season have mini challenges again, but keep the reunion/finale style of this season, it would be fantastic

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Everyone being salty over Sasha winning over Shea can sit down. These lip syncs were not a surprise. They had a long time to practice and really turn it up. After all that we got basic dance and sing from Shea. It's disappointing. A trick, a ruveal, a SOMETHING always goes big with the crowd, and more importantly, with Ru. Shea didn't try. I don't know why she didn't. She brought generic bar room lip sync to the loving finale. Get out of here with that bullshit.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Dear Prudence posted:

Everyone being salty over Sasha winning over Shea can sit down. These lip syncs were not a surprise. They had a long time to practice and really turn it up. After all that we got basic dance and sing from Shea. It's disappointing. A trick, a ruveal, a SOMETHING always goes big with the crowd, and more importantly, with Ru. Shea didn't try. I don't know why she didn't. She brought generic bar room lip sync to the loving finale. Get out of here with that bullshit.
Seriously, and if the win is just a numbers game where most challenges won = The Winnah, why the gently caress bother having a finale? The challenges determine who stays, that's all (and who gets loaded up with a jillion cheap wigs, and who has to argue with the cruise line about available dates or whatever).

It would have been a complete goddamn travesty if anyone else had won the crown after all that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like I said before, I don't really like Sasha but her performance during the competition was more than enough to earn a top 2 spot. My big issue is it feeling weird Peppermint had a shot at all. Should have been a top 3 vying for the top 2 lip sync.

I miss the top 2 lip syncs from 1-3, I want that format to return, but I'm not big on it being a top 4 sudden death tourney if they keep the exact format next year.

This season was weird in general and not one I really plan on ruwatching any time soon, so it isn't the end of the world for me. My fave wasn't going to win with either format anyway so nbd.

Some people (nobody here that I've noticed, fwiw, but other parts of the internet) are definitely making GBS threads on Sasha too hard, or weirdly bringing race and other nonsense into it.

Being upset your fave didn't win, or even that the best competing queen didn't win, is 1001% fine. But some people take the salt too far, as is to be expected. Any of the top 4 would be getting poo poo on by idiot fans no matter who won.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sasha's edit and social media presence makes him seem hyperbolically pretentious and self-important, and my husband and I got sick of it and his drag a long time ago.

Peppermint knows how to put on a show, but she spent the first half of Stronger doing basic stuff like pointing the house down and then changed into an UGLIER dress and a worse wig.

Trinity stepped it up and would have been a worthy winner of at least the first lip sync (no clue what would have happened in the final), and poor Shea just wasn't as good at lip syncing as any of the other three. You can tell he knows how to dance, but both of his performances were disappointing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My issue with Sasha-- especially on the show-- is she does a lot of telling instead of showing. She says she's weird and unconventional and unique, pushing the boundaries of beauty and drag, but she always looked on point. Her beat was beautiful and glamorous and her runways were high fashion. She just doesn't always wear a wig and does a unibrow a lot.

To me it was very telling that her big issue in the last Untucked was the judges just accepting and never questioning her drag. Of course they didn't-- her drag wasn't weird in the slightest. She didn't do anything worth questioning. We've had several queens before on this show who did all of that boundary pushing she claimed but never actually delivered on.

Now, she's fierce as gently caress, I won't deny that, and she murdered Shea in the finale. I just hope with the crown and her reign she puts her money where her mouth is and actually shows me 'the future of drag'.

As a sidenote I'm also annoyed with people acting like we finally have a political queen who knows her queer herstory. As if we haven't had winners or competitors before who know their poo poo. Or activists. I mean for gently caress's sake we just had Bob for a year and she's such an activist she's been arrested for it before.

e: also re: peppermint's wig ruveal, are we even sure that was a second wig? I haven't seen recent pics of Pep wigless but I could have sworn that was just her real hair after the ruveal and vs Sasha.

e2: while I'm ranting, I've never understood people bitching about 'predictable' winners. Sometimes the producers and the edit make it a bit too obvious too early on, yes. In general tho it's a competition. If you do the best you should probably win, or at the v least be guaranteed a much closer chance of winning.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 25, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

My issue with Sasha-- especially on the show-- is she does a lot of telling instead of showing. She says she's weird and unconventional and unique, pushing the boundaries of beauty and drag, but she always looked on point. Her beat was beautiful and glamorous and her runways were high fashion. She just doesn't always wear a wig and does a unibrow a lot.

To me it was very telling that her big issue in the last Untucked was the judges just accepting and never questioning her drag. Of course they didn't-- her drag wasn't weird in the slightest. She didn't do anything worth questioning. We've had several queens before on this show who did all of that boundary pushing she claimed but never actually delivered on.

Now, she's fierce as gently caress, I won't deny that, and she murdered Shea in the finale. I just hope with the crown and her reign she puts her money where her mouth is and actually shows me 'the future of drag'.

As a sidenote I'm also annoyed with people acting like we finally have a political queen who knows her queer herstory. As if we haven't had winners or competitors before who know their poo poo. Or activists. I mean for gently caress's sake we just had Bob for a year and she's such an activist she's been arrested for it before.

i think i agree that sasha is the face of "acceptable" boundary-pushing. i found Milk's genderfuck stuff way more interesting, and Kim Chi more conceptually fascinating than any of the stuff Sasha brought to the runway. however, apparently sasha was a real shady bitch in a lot of her confessionals - i think she said she was surprised she dodged a villain edit. to me, that would have been cooler and added a dimension to her character. it peeked out a bit in the reunion episode and i wish we got more of it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the truth posted:

Peppermint knows how to put on a show, but she spent the first half of Stronger doing basic stuff like pointing the house down and then changed into an UGLIER dress and a worse wig.

the pointer sisters were definitely out in force

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

alf_pogs posted:

i think i agree that sasha is the face of "acceptable" boundary-pushing. i found Milk's genderfuck stuff way more interesting, and Kim Chi more conceptually fascinating than any of the stuff Sasha brought to the runway. however, apparently sasha was a real shady bitch in a lot of her confessionals - i think she said she was surprised she dodged a villain edit. to me, that would have been cooler and added a dimension to her character. it peeked out a bit in the reunion episode and i wish we got more of it

Agreed. I was most interested in Sasha during the reunion, when she got a little smug (already knowing she was top 2 when it filmed) and messy. She felt way too produced in the show itself, whether it was the editors or her. Probably the editors, they seemed to have cut almost all shady moments from most of the queens.

Though even if she was shady, it wouldn't fix her talking up how weird her drag is and then delivering nothing but fashion queen who makes faces.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not reading the thread until I watch the finale (thankfully unspoiled), but Facebook reminded me that today is Sasha's 30th birthday, so I just wanted to share that~

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I love Sasha. I loved her outfits in the finale, I love how cerebral she is. My only complaint was near the middle-end of the season it felt like she wore very similarly shaped outfits (or maybe it was just the gay ball episode). I did love her in Category Is, especially when she slid out when Peppermint started and when she came in on her part.

I don't know how I'd feel if I saw more of her shady villain side. It did feel like she didn't have much personality besides being the know it all.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 26, 2017

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Woops, double post.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She definitely had the most invisible/boring edit of the top four. I'm not at all surprised if this is due to her being shady and the editors not wanting to showcase it too much, knowing she would go into the finale. We haven't really had a 'villain' in the top four/three since Roxxxy, so maybe they toned her edit down to avoid Sasha being the de facto villain of the season.

Charlie has also gone on record saying they easily could have given him a villain edit. I blame the producers way more than the queens for how much of a sterile hugbox 90% of this season was.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

How much of a villain edit could Charlie really have gotten in 3 episodes?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

charlie, the queen nobody would remember except she keeps putting her name on her costumes like she's a toddler prone to wandering off from the kindergarten

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just mean as another queen from this season who has said footage of her being mean/shady was never used, not like she would have been a straight up villain with only three episodes.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm fine and happy with a Sasha win, but it's all personal tastes: I like my queens a little messy, dirty and dangerous. The other three queens were willing to go to those places, but Sasha's pure class. I can fully appreciate that (For fuckssake, I have a Residents avatar, you know I'm neck-deep into that artfaggotry bullshit), but can't love it entirely. Gotta have equal amounts John Waters as Stanley Kubrick for me.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 26, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

alf_pogs posted:

charlie, the queen nobody would remember except she keeps putting her name on her costumes like she's a toddler prone to wandering off from the kindergarten

:laugh:

also looks like the backsash is in full swing :allears:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I picked Sasha as my favorite to win when the first was cast announced, and I'm glad she won. I would've been happy with Shea or Trinity winning, but Sasha was always my Queen this season. I think there was a problem with the edit, and it was there being so much focus on Valentina the front half of the season, that Sasha seemed to just be there in the background, silently slaying the competition.

This was maybe the most evenly matched final 3 in a very long time, if not ever, so I'm rather surprised by the vitriol that Sasha is getting all of a sudden. She won challenges, she was never in the bottom, and she destroyed those final two lip syncs.

Bow down.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I picked Sasha as my favorite to win when the first was cast announced, and I'm glad she won. I would've been happy with Shea or Trinity winning, but Sasha was always my Queen this season. I think there was a problem with the edit, and it was there being so much focus on Valentina the front half of the season, that Sasha seemed to just be there in the background, silently slaying the competition.

This was maybe the most evenly matched final 3 in a very long time, if not ever, so I'm rather surprised by the vitriol that Sasha is getting all of a sudden. She won challenges, she was never in the bottom, and she destroyed those final two lip syncs.

Bow down.

I'm fine with her winning but I'm not really a fan. At least for me, she's not very charismatic, her personality seems rather stiff and cold. Compared to Peppermint who absolutely radiates charisma.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

alf_pogs posted:

I remember her because a buddy and I simulwatched her boot episode over texting and if she can ever live down that lipsync, I'm the loving Dalai Lama.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

I'm fine with her winning but I'm not really a fan. At least for me, she's not very charismatic, her personality seems rather stiff and cold. Compared to Peppermint who absolutely radiates charisma.

Yeah, I think the edit did Sasha a disservice. If you know who is going to be in the final 3, you should at least give them some screen time.

Peppermint is charismatic AF. But sloppy and unpolished. Kind of like Adore.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Peppermint is charismatic AF. But sloppy and unpolished. Kind of like Adore.

Eh, I think she's pretty polished other than her runway looks which were often questionable. Her workroom, confessionals, Untucked, acting, comedy, lip-synching, and general charisma were all on point.

She did have some real stinkers on the runway though. Frankly, there's no excuse for that first finale outfit which somehow got worse with the reveal. I think after the reveal that was even her real hair--not revealing a second wig but just loving snatching?? You should know that's a Mila-noshebettadont

edit: I guess watching the finale a second time, it was more that Trinity, Pep, and Shea disappointed me than Sasha impressed me. Sasha was pretty good but the others dropped the ball. I would expect better from season 9 finales with their months to prepare.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 26, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, watching the finale a second time was kind of ... boring. I don't know if it's because I watched it live in a bar with a crowd, drunk, and that was where my original excitement came (even knowing the spoilers and about the ruveals and roses). But it was pretty meh the second go around. Like I was actually paying close attention to the performances and they weren't holding up to my original view of them.

Sasha's rose ruveals were still pretty dope, I really did love that lip sync from her. The finale one didn't wow me other than her peeling the mask away, though. Pep didn't wow me much in the final lip sync, either.

An uneven end to an uneven season. Pretty fitting, tbh!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It was a mediocre season but I think the queens were very strong overall. The fault lies with the TERRIBLE purple runway lighting, lack of Ru in the workroom, few minichallenges, no drama beyond "I can't stop sabotaging myself," and editing.

Surprise, the producers have always been kinda lovely.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

On IG, Sasha said she had something strapped to her thigh for a reveal in case she had to dance to Stronger. I wonder what it could have been. Roses in the wig was super awesome, even without the tease from the gloves.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pellisworth posted:

It was a mediocre season but I think the queens were very strong overall. The fault lies with the TERRIBLE purple runway lighting, lack of Ru in the workroom, few minichallenges, no drama beyond "I can't stop sabotaging myself," and editing.

Y E S

This has been my biggest problem all year. The cast is the best we've had in a while imo, like overall memorability, even in the early outs.

A lack of overall camp and messiness has been an issue for a while. My number one problem with season 9, though, is not enough Ru in the werk room. A lot of viewers could do without mini challenges, I'm sure, but those minis gave us extra time with Ru and the girls just interacting amongst themselves. We had barely any of that, this year, and even worse less time spent on Ru visiting the queens while they prepare for a challenge.

If the girls aren't allowed to be shady/messy to humanize them, at least let them goof off more.

e: and that purple runway lighting can gently caress off. At this point I would even prefer the vaseline filter over this bs lighting being homophobic to clothes on the runway

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Dear Prudence posted:

On IG, Sasha said she had something strapped to her thigh for a reveal in case she had to dance to Stronger. I wonder what it could have been. Roses in the wig was super awesome, even without the tease from the gloves.

I think we all know what it was. 🍆

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Am I reading too much into it, or was Valentina's request to send red roses to the other queens a reference to Sasha's lipsync in the finale?

Also I'm curious, do other reality shows like this film many different endings and just air the correct one? It seems like a smart idea to avoid spoilers but also feels like you'd get a less genuine reaction on stage. Sasha's reaction from watching the show with Peppermint was the real deal.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I think the Trinity / Peppermint battle was really going to be decided by who popped their reveal first. Trinity was great but as soon as she dropped her skirt, it actually started to help build the anticipation FOR Peppermint, and she was professional enough to time the drops that you could feel the energy surge.

Not sure how you can still pull for Shea to win when she didn't show up with ANYTHING though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Probably reading too much into the rose thing. Valentina uses them in her act often, and fans are constantly giving her roses.

Not sure about other reality shows filming multiple endings. Drag Race has been doing it since season 4 though, Raja was our last genuine reaction with her A+ ugly cry.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Jolo posted:

Am I reading too much into it, or was Valentina's request to send red roses to the other queens a reference to Sasha's lipsync in the finale?

Also I'm curious, do other reality shows like this film many different endings and just air the correct one? It seems like a smart idea to avoid spoilers but also feels like you'd get a less genuine reaction on stage. Sasha's reaction from watching the show with Peppermint was the real deal.

I thought the same thing, but reading into things and overthinking is basically my MO, so we're probably both reading too much into it. :v:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

Ru would be smart to just cut ties with World of Wonder and go with a production company that is actually capable, and not just hitching their anchor to Ru's stardom. A good production company should be lifting their stars, not the other way around.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nihonniboku posted:

Ru would be smart to just cut ties with World of Wonder and go with a production company that is actually capable, and not just hitching their anchor to Ru's stardom. A good production company should be lifting their stars, not the other way around.

Assuming he can.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, they developed the show together so rights may be tied up with WOW. Ru seems to like working with them, anyway, they do whatever shows he wants.

Drag U was a rough spot but I think Gay for Play has been renewed.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

The Porkchop moment is now up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqdpeQ5VjZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

This is incredible. Why on earth would they cut this from the finale :confused:

• Locked thread