Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit!

One thing though- is I sort of wish the queens would stop being rewarded for being self referential.
Get by on your own merits, not the show's!
It felt like half of All-Stars 2 was just Alaska saying anus and referencing old seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

tote up a bags posted:

Gotta get that catchphrase to sink into the collective mindset before the season ends so you can make that money, honey.

You know I don't even mind if it's their own original catchphrase- purse first was tedious but whatever, but like Shea Couleé being "FROM CHIC-AG-O" just made my eyes roll back into my head, and of course the judges loved it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

That was a loving terrible lip sync and should have been a double elimination.

Also yo CLF, putting Coo-Coo into every sentence isn't funny or clever oh my god stop it. Now that you're self aware you're even worse.

Hoooly crap this is so true, on both points.

Cucu this, cucu that, hashtag cucu, cucucucucucucucucucuucuc
We get it, what else have you got?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

Neither one of them won the lip sync, and even if Jaymes did slightly better, she was still pretty far behind from literally every other moment she was on the show.

I don't know what I'm missing here that make so many of you so upset that she's leaving.

Yeahhh I mean it was a hot garbage lip sync and neither of them are going to make anywhere near top three, I don't get the theatrics. I was honestly just sitting there the whole song thinking this song is high energy poppy nonsense, DO something!

They must be saving the double elim for something more intentional or dramatic.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Shneak posted:

Is there anybody that doesn't like Valentina? You'd have to be a stone cold bitch to dislike her. She's precious.

I dunno I don't like DISlike her, but doesn't that extraordinarily artificial smile and eternally positive demeanour kind of... put you off, a little bit? It's like she's in uncanny valley but for her personality

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

I can't decide whether I want Aja or Farrah to go tonight

Don't you think Farrah has plot armor after her fairytale princess?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

Speaking of, Peppermint's lip sync was loaded with personality, which, in a long series of death drops and jumping splits, is something we've lost a little of in the lip syncs. I once read people try to defend the Oops! I did it again lip sync in season 5 by saying "it's a hard song to perform! You can't death drop to it!", so I think the judges were happy someone did something that wasn't rote.

Did people try to defend that lip sync? I feel like it was just the same problem every time there's a double elim- an energetic song performed with so little enthusiasm and energy that it's offensive.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Agreed.

What the hell was the point of the gymnastic routine in this episode? There were lots of looks which were cool but the actual performance was just a giant nothingburger and Ru just had this look on her face like "this was a mistake."

It's curious, isn't it? Part of me feels like it was an attempt to throw Sasha under the bus via producer fuckery in case it was bad, because she was in charge of it.
But then they really never mentioned that she did a good job putting it together so I don't know.

What's with these garbage minichallenge prizes anyway? "You're responsible for this production hope you don't gently caress it up!" is the worst reward ever.

I think Shea did a really good job this week and actually liked her village people look better, but agree that Sasha probably deserved it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Maaaan, I hate this part of the season, it feels like it's already over.
The final four episode swaps from an actual competition to "oh my god you're all so wonderful and perfect" and the lack of an actual elimination just makes it feel like filler.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Inadequate Areolas posted:

I guess I'm alone in preferring Ru Paul's Best Friends/Group Therapy race. I loved the messiness of Season 4 but I didn't care for all the yelling in Season 5/6.

I'd like to see some tougher challenges, maybe. I'm continually shocked that girls make it to the show and NOT know how to sew.

I want nothing more than a repeat of season 3 where the crafting challenges are so numerous and taxing that you can see the stress on the faces of every queen in confessional.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

esperterra posted:

The important thing to remember about Alaska's little meltdown: it was her first time being in the bottom. Ever. She went through all of season 5 and most of AS2 without ever lip syncing for her life. To be in the bottom 2 for the first time, on the only season where your fate is in someone else's hands, and you can't even lip sync your way out of it?

I never understood the hate for that. Yeah she got ugly for a moment, but it's a high stress competition and they were a challenge or two away from the end. Besides, the 10k thing always seemed like Alaska joking around in a bad situation. Detox was laughing and Roxxxy looked equally amused.

I'm really not an Alaska fan honestly, I get the appeal but the wow factor has never really been there for me, and the untucked meltdown really took her from "one trick pony that knows exactly how this game is played" to "sordid spoiled brat" in an instant.
Say anus again it'll be alright! I was really bitter when she won. (Doubly so because it confirmed the fan response means dick all.)

Ah well. She'll always be the Tyra of All Stars in my head. What is it about season 2??

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

esperterra posted:

Honey, if you're watching Drag Race expecting the fan response to ever mean anything, you're doing it wrong.

I know, I know.
But don't tell me you want to hear my opinion when it's clear you've been grooming a winner all season, the fans disagree with that winner to an absurd degree, and then crown her anyway.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
For those who are interested, the AS3 queens are as follows, seen by a live audience during filming:

Thorgy Thor
Ben De La Creme
Trixie Mattel
Chi Chi DeVayne
Milk, Aja
Kennedy Davenport
Morgan McMichaels
Shangela (yes, again)

The 10th queen if there is one is under some contention; some people are claiming Darienne, some Bebe. Grain of salt either way.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 22, 2017

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

To be real though, I don't hate any of those queens. But look at the cast list for AS2 and there's literally nobody in the putative AS3 list who even deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as those queens except Trixie. And even she probably would have gone home midway through AS2. If this is the real list, my enthusiasm for AS3 is pretty minimal. I'm hoping it's just a decoy.

That being said, I'll watch it regardless because I need something to stare at while I wait for death.

So take this with a dump truck of salt, but:
If you notice, no one queen in the lineup made it past top 4 or 5. People are speculating that this is a sort of a "rudemption" season, and on top of that, if Bebe was actually participating in the live event, that the previous season's winners return to compete against the queens every episode. That would really give the season that star power oomph, but we'll see what actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Dear Prudence posted:

Kim Chi's looks were sick as gently caress, stunning, but she was not a well rounded queen. She couldn't act, she couldn't walk, she couldn't dance. I love Kim Chi, but if you're going to crown someone, they'd better be able to do most of the things a drag queen can do, not just serve a look.

Except when you spent an entire season making baffling elimination and lipsync "winner" choices for the sake of a plot line nobody wanted and didn't materialize anyway :v:

• Locked thread