Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
So ready for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just saw the episode. JFC CLF get your poo poo together, you're better than that. Act like you've been there, because you have.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bina posted:

I secretly want Valentina to do a shy Micheal Jackson.

Good lord, we need to develop time travel for the specific purpose of sending this suggestion back in time to Valentina before the season started filming.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that information about her performance background and education explains a lot about how she has such a developed aesthetic and so much confidence for a relatively new queen. It sounds like she's been working on being Valentina since she was in the womb; it was just ten months ago that she put on the clothes.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The bachelorette party seems to be taking an awful loving lot of liberties with Val's personal space.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dear Prudence posted:

And I don't want to mislead someone into hitting on me only to have to turn them down because I'm straight.

My strategy for dealing with this is to just be fat and hideous, it's super effective.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

if you can't love yourself ...

I can, it's just that nobody else wants to watch.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I just don't care much who wins past this point. They're all competent, but none really knocks me out. I'm just glad it's not Nina Bonina Bring Back Valentina And Take Some Celexa Brown.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 27, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah but I figure that's such a foregone conclusion that it's hardly worth mentioning.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

It would just be herself and rather than twitch or let out a death rattle she'd have her eyes fixed on Shea and her last words would be "I just want to say, umm, that some people here umm, they umm, have it out for me and have always hated me."

lol

Other girls would be like "girl nobody is choking you but yourself" and Nina would say "I know and I try not to but..."

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Also Kesha is still real cute and Nina sucks holy poo poo I'm glad she's gone. I don't think there's ever been a contestant with an attitude that garbage on the show.

Yeah, it's funny because I really liked her at the beginning of the season, but I got really tired of her rear end very quickly. When she actually brings her A game she's pretty amazing on stage, but god drat I never want to see her off stage ever again. I imagine she's going to be the first RPDR queen to sell tickets to her show that are actually cheaper with the meet and greet.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

how can you not like tik tok

Because it's loving terrible. Like there's a decent amount of pop music I'm not into, but when I first heard Tik Tok I was literally wincing in embarrassment for Kesha because it's such a horribly bad song. Just actually feeling bad for her for how much it sucked.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

a gay who doesn't like kesha is a shameful gay :colbert:

I'm straight though so I get a pass

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts:

I really didn't like Trinity at first but god drat if she hasn't grown on me a lot.

Holy poo poo Andie McDowell looks amazing for 59. Like, impossibly amazing.

gently caress you Alexis, it isn't anyone else's job to tell you what looks good. If you were any more basic you'd have line numbers and GOTO statements.

Shea did great but I would have gone with Sasha as the winner this week.

Peppermint just destroys when she lip syncs, and you could see the moment in Alexis' eyes when she realized how outclassed she was.

If any of you youngsters haven't seen the Village People movie (Can't Stop the Music), get on that right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gk1mIef5iQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcw6GN7Kfv0

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still don't feel like anyone in the top 4 has the star power of many of the winners in previous seasons, but they're all still really good and I'd be happy with any of them winning.

The wife and I died at "that bitch knew what Squatty Potty was" and Michelle's "hell yeah Squatty Potty ain't no joke!"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Peppermint has it a bit and so does Sasha imo but you put either of them next to Alaska, Detox, Jinkx, Bob, Sharon, Bianca, etc. and I just don't feel like either of them are quite at that level.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

You didn't mention Violet and she won so...

She's etc.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah based on reactions here and elsewhere I kinda expected Val to be unmasked as Drag Hitler but this really wasn't that. The reveal that she's a fake and calculating and manicures a completely artificial wholesome image actually didn't surprise me much.

still :swoon:, sorry y'all

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

I take comfort in knowing she berated the other contestants for not warning her that would happen.

In their defense, after the first time she berated them for not telling her how bad she looked, nobody told her how bad her berating them would look on TV. So really the next ten times she did it, it was really their fault for not warning her.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Probably, but it's the most interesting thing to happen this season so :shrug:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dusty in here isn't it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did we already have this Vox article about teenage fans of Drag Race in here? It's pretty good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a bizarre juxtaposition of cultures, but I can understand it. Drag Race is a lot more open about dealing with self-doubt and developing and defending a positive self-image than pretty much anything else in popular culture, and those issues are basically the defining crises of teenagerdom. And adulthood for that matter, but they're more acute when you hit them for the first time. So I guess from the teen fans' point of view it's a very positive thing.

As for how that audience is going to change drag...yeah that could be a disaster. "Cleaning up" drag for a younger audience is a loving terrible idea, and you absolutely know that that's going to be in the pipeline soon if it isn't already.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think there's a huge amount of power to seeing someone you admire admit that they have the same struggles you do. I've long since given up on being beautiful, but I've had a couple of professional experiences where people I greatly admire have privately discussed their own insecurities and struggles with impostor syndrome, and those have been absolutely transformative experiences for me. I see a lot of that same stuff in Drag Race, where you sometimes get to see these amazingly talented people doubt themselves and hear about all the poo poo (internal and external) they've had to fight through to get there.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 29, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Guess what I just ate

Tastes better than you'd think!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't a huge fan of Willam during the season, but honestly I don't think I really "got" him at that point. Being exposed to more of his sense of humor on his own turf has turned me into a huge fan, and I'm quite tempted to go back and watch the season just to see how much my perception of Willam changes.

e: I just went back and looked at the list of queens on season 4 and holy crap that really was an excellent season.

e2: I just went back and looked at the lists of queens on seasons 5-8 and became newly underwhelmed with season 9, I have to say.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 3, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
AV Club says Gay for Play is coming back tonight? I thought it was cancelled.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

Funnel cake. :colbert:

I have no idea what that might be slang for, but I'm just going to presume you're into some weird, weird poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been rewatching season 4, and good lord I forgot just what a poo poo Phi Phi was. And just such a thorough misunderstanding of any drag that isn't exactly like hers. Uuuugggghhhh bitch I already know that you go home, but bitch go home.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that really is the catch-22 with Phi Phi. She really, really kills it when it comes to bringing a look, but is such a huge rear end in a top hat that I find myself literally wishing for her to be less talented.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really want Willam to be in All Stars 3 and just be a total mess again.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Also Untucked returning to TV better mean the return of the lounges. If it's the same format we've been getting, who gives a gently caress.

I prefer the new format, actually. Seems a lot less contrived.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Poulpe posted:

For those who are interested, the AS3 queens are as follows, seen by a live audience during filming:

Thorgy Thor
Ben De La Creme
Trixie Mattel
Chi Chi DeVayne
Milk, Aja
Kennedy Davenport
Morgan McMichaels
Shangela (yes, again)

The 10th queen if there is one is under some contention; some people are claiming Darienne, some Bebe. Grain of salt either way.

Actually I decided to spoiler my whole response, sorry.

There is literally one of those queens (Trixie) that I give even a fraction of a poo poo about ever seeing her again. The rest of that list is about half "who?" and half "really?".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Morgan is a treasure, damnit.

Fine, as long as she stays buried.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
To be real though, I don't hate any of those queens. But look at the cast list for AS2 and there's literally nobody in the putative AS3 list who even deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as those queens except Trixie. And even she probably would have gone home midway through AS2. If this is the real list, my enthusiasm for AS3 is pretty minimal. I'm hoping it's just a decoy.

That being said, I'll watch it regardless because I need something to stare at while I wait for death.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm rewatching season 5 right now and I forgot just how much I love Alyssa Edwards. She's like a hillbilly preying mantis by day who turns into beautiful butterfly at night.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And holy poo poo, Detox's lipsync gimmick gets old so fast it actually goes back in time. I just reread my father's will from 1995 and it now says "P.S. tell Detox to stop loving doing that, it's irritating".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any word on what character? ShrewPaul?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Nice!

This is an aside but What's The Tee might be one of the worst sounding podcasts I've ever listened to. I know they have a producer and they certainly know their way around recording but the volume levels are all over the goddamn place. They love to whisper when things get serious and then Michelle laughs and screams and blows out my goddamn speakers. I can also tell when Ru and Michelle and their guests lean away from the mic and I'm like holy hell normalize that poo poo.

I haven't heard What's The Tee but this drives me goddamn crazy on Oh No Ross And Carrie. Mixing voice for podcasts isn't loving hard, there's no excuse for so many of them to be so goddamn bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's Trixie and a fine selection of doormats afaic

• Locked thread