Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Sarcopenia posted:

Btw has anyone seen Valentina lip sync? If she's ever in the bottom she'll lose for sure. I love her but from what I've seen she's a super boring performer.

Um, how dare you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Troposphere posted:

that was one of the best lip syncs I've ever seen

Same. She certainly got tipped enough for it too, holy poo poo.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
I'm straight-up shook. WTF. One thing I haven't seen pointed out much is that it wasn't just the lipsync, Valentina seemed very "not present" through the whole episode. Was something just up that week? Did she check out completely for some reason? Whatever the case, It's a drat waste. My already "meh" enthusiasm for this season just flatlined. (Not that there aren't great queens still remaining, but Valentina brought a spice of personality to the group that even cream of the crop Shea and Sasha don't really have, and the challenges have been kinda awful about 3/4 of the time, so that personality was sorely needed.)

I'M SAD, Drag Race should not make me feel such sad feelings. :smith:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
^ I mean, that's not really the narrative I'm seeing? The narrative I'm seeing even from Valentina diehards is "that was fair, but like...what happened?"

With Untucked for context now, it seems like Valentina just ran out of gas this week. After killing it week after week up to this point, it seems like her brain just stopped and she didn't have it in her to participate, she was mentally somewhere else but didn't ask for help or anything to push through the funk. It makes sense, it's just really disappointing. Definitely a limitation enhanced by being so inexperienced. I kinda just wanna skip to the final four now though, just give Alexis and Nina the boot already, I'm getting season seven flashbacks in terms of bad challenges and cast imbalance.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

endolithic posted:

Man I want to go to a viewing party now it looks fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDU_3or2l6w

The :geno: dude in the Rugrats shirt is my favorite

Ha ha, the guy cheering "Yay Alexis Michelle!" at the end as everyone reels from the shock.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
Gold Trans Am is glorious god-tier trash, and I will hear no dispute on this point.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

esperterra posted:

Season 9 has been a clusterfuck in general. I'll be almost relieved when it's over.

Seriously, it's felt like there's been a witch's curse over the whole season, even moreso than season 7. (Even though s9 was less actively off-putting than 7 at its worst, it just felt like the air was being constantly let out of its tires with every new "well that's not great for TV, how did this all get hosed up that badly?") I can't imagine the producers are happy with how it went given the talented crop of queens (once again reminiscent of 7 where you have a terrific batch of talent and episode after episode that just...seems to bring the worst or blandest out of them for various reasons), but maybe it won't matter if ratings continue to ratchet up as they have for the past few years. At least s8 and All-Stars 2 were prime-cut Drag Race. This was not.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Trig Discipline posted:

Probably, but it's the most interesting thing to happen this season so :shrug:

^^^^^^^^^

This is just my approach, but I feel like it's not really any of my business whether or not Valentina is a good person. The number of queens I would get along famously with or share opinions with or judge to be a "good person" by my specific standards or any of that is unknown and completely irrelevant. So long as Valentina's not an actively harmful or malicious presence like a Caitlin Jenner or a Milo Y. or whatever, all I care about is whether she's a strong entertainer and a good fit for reality TV. If she hasn't done anything negative beyond directly or indirectly causing inter-queen drama, which seems to be the case, I don't get why I should judge. On an entertainment level, she's basically been mopping the floor with the rest of season nine's cast, even after the show has finished airing. If I wanted to see someone perform live or have a meet-and-greet with a queen, I'd choose Sasha, but RPDR didn't do her any favors as a reality show personality, and the same is true of most of the queens in this imbalanced season. Eureka went home too soon, Charlie went home too soon, Valentina went home too soon, SOMEHOW they kept Alexis Michelle around for basically the entire show, and it just ended up feeling bland. Without Valentina, season nine would have been horribly boring, so bring on the rosepocalypse, I say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Someone draw me some Utena Valentina poo poo stat TIA

She'd definitely be Anthy in that equation.

• Locked thread