Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

Kate Bush has been my diva-extravaganza #1 since I was 16 and I'm 32 now; I'm also an art historian. Naturally, I will be stanning for Kate Bush-performing art queen Sasha Velour. I encourage everyone to do the same. Charlie Hides and Nina Bo'nina Brown are also acceptable choices. No objections to Nina's win (yay peach headress!), but points should have been deducted because her makeup was a little grotesque up close.

If what Aja showed off was in fact saffron-dyed fur, to be able to afford that, and live in New York (even if it is Brooklyn), I can only assume she must either have a trust fund or a sugar daddy. Both options annoy me. In truth, she probably bought it second-hand. Still annoyed. Jaymes needs to ditch the trashy = funny tactic yesterday. I want better for her. There's so much going on with Kimora's drag, but it all feels so...generic, somehow? We'll see. I will say that, judging from pictures, she was a way hotter boy before she did...that...to her cheeks.

Gaga was amazing.

PostsYouCanDanceTo fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Didn't she say that she's become friends with all the top designers in New York, and they give her all sorts of free poo poo

Did she? I missed that.

Still annoyed.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Huh, I actually felt like Jaymes could have pulled that off, but it was probably too little too late in the lip sync.

Spoilers for the gently caress of it.

Agreed. Even Jaymes's white look, which was very good, couldn't compete with the other girls who all had great or excellent looks. She was always gonna be a half-step behind

That lip sync could have gone either way. I don't feel like either of them gave a big enough performance, if that makes any sense. Love Shack is the ultimate karaoke song alongside Don't Stop Believin' and it should be performed with all the abandon of a drunk uncle at a wedding. In the end, Jaymes took off her shoes like a drunk aunt at a wedding and I think that should explicitly be against the rules. So I'll consider that the tiebreaker. Kimora is Gia Gunn 2.0 and I suspect will last about as long.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

Just watched the episode on youtube. HOLY poo poo that runway! :manning:

Those sidekicks were... gently caress.

Well, thank you untucked for giving me a reason to dislike Aja. I didn't need one, but it's nice to have one. Her lip sync was impress-- the moves were impressive. But there was an air of (generally understandable) desperation about the performance. Aja seems to be a queen who goes for maximum impact, but hasn't learned how to go for maximum effect. If she's a quick study, she might be able to fix that during the competition. On the other hand, she turned herself into Gossamer from Looney Tunes and though she turned it out.

You can add me to team Valentina. I should find her affected and obnoxious, but I don't. She just seems so drat earnest and happy to be here. She's the Labrador puppy of drag!

Tired Moritz posted:

anyone knows any good blogs recapping/talking about this season? yeah, lame but I like reading people's thoughts.

http://www.avclub.com/tv/rupauls-drag-race/. Oliver is the resident blogger covering the show and his writeups are really good

Pinwiz11 posted:

:yeah::perfect:

Now to avoid falling down a drag hole...

e: Too late... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jwBImEgilQ

The legendary NYC drag queen Sweetie died two weeks ago and I think she was Mimi Imfurst's drag mother. There was a tribute article about her written at Slate by Miz Cracker (who is Bob's daughter). So to take us down the drag hole further...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHr6ey86LjU

The song seems to have been a staple of hers since she performed it at her final B-day show this year as well.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

It seems to me that the reason Snatch Game had such a neither-here-nor-there quality to it this year is that everyone came with a gimmick. So really, barring the bottom 3, especially CLF, everyone managed to land at least one joke. But no one really had more than that. Trininty had the whole can't-move-her-face schtick, and Valentina cried about Steve Harvey, but then they were done. Even Shea, who had one great answer, wasn't showcased beyond that -- but that was probably because she was in the middle so editing didn't focus on her. It's possible that she was middle-pack if for no other reason so Nina could get a confidence boost from being in the top 3. Which, if that's true, I'm honestly cool with that. Nina felt like she had a fairly realized character in her Jasmine with a look, a voice, an attitude, and a running gag in her answers, so A for effort.

And that's why Alexis and Sasha rounded out the top 3. If nothing else, they presented characters. Though when Sasha said she would do Judith Butler I was like "Girl, what the gently caress? Clearly, if you're gonna do a lesbian cultural critic for Snatch Game it can only be Camille Paglia!" But no one really went big. Alexis had personality and physical comedy in her routine, so her victory was practically guaranteed.

Speaking of, Peppermint's lip sync was loaded with personality, which, in a long series of death drops and jumping splits, is something we've lost a little of in the lip syncs. I once read people try to defend the Oops! I did it again lip sync in season 5 by saying "it's a hard song to perform! You can't death drop to it!", so I think the judges were happy someone did something that wasn't rote.

• Locked thread