Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Man, Boots got through that black eye like a champ. A few seminars of Whackmastery and he's already good as new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am very glad that you talk to people. It would be a shame to miss all that dialogue.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

No April Fool's jokes from me, I didn't think to plan ahead. Plus I think I might have laryngitis. Anyway, Boots commits some crimes and meets a small, hairy man.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Grumpos is the best character and I'm prepared to unleash his special ability on those who dare dispute this claim.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I love the little details in this game, like the 'No Girls' sign over Grumpos' shed. It's such a beautiful and rich setting, and the atmosphere is phenomenal.

The biggest problem, like a couple of people have said, is the pacing -- but I think that's only a thing you notice when you've played it all the way through (and when you're not playing a completionist run). Going into the game, you have a really great set of tensions laid out: Boots is a bum trying to claw his way out of poverty, Detta is staging a takeover of Anachronox and has it in for you. The reason it feels like it drags is the main plot turns out to be about having galaxy-hopping adventures and chasing the secret of Mystech, when most of the early investment is actually to do with Detta's crime syndicate.

But for all the game's flaws, I love it and its Quake 2 aesthetic to bits, and I'm going to be watching the hell out of this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I just realized the intro music is from ReBoot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oops, I forgot to upload a video before I dropped off to sleep yesterday! In this episode, I look into what's beyond the previously closed-off areas, now that we've met Grumpos.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 5, 2017

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
I am really enjoying this let's play so far! You're doing a great job with it

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I still have this game installed. I started a new character with it. It would probably help if someone could point me at one of the tricks to slow down my CPU so I could finish it this time, though.

I didn't bother wasting the Healgrease Plus after WhackMaster Jack's. I just murdered the Junkyard 40 guy with the aid of Fatima Screen and barely survived it, then I healed up with a regular Healgrease from the med supply shop. The pair of Junkyard 40's afterwards was a big pain though. I needed several failures before I conceded and had to use both Bindlebags on them. I reached the next save point, and saved, but tried again. This time I got very lucky and BOTH of the first two attacks missed, and I only used one bindlebag and got FatimaScreen up before taking any damage.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Rather looking forward to seeing the game played out. Also I'll be disappointed if there isn't more Black Comedy in the future, because it's doing a fantastic job with it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kemix posted:

I'll be disappointed if there isn't more Black Comedy in the future, because it's doing a fantastic job with it.

Don't worry, there's lots and lots of that stuff in Anachronox

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'd say Anachronox tends to prefer absurd humor overall, but it has a very Hitchhiker's Guide blend of dark and absurd moments.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Eddie knows.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'd say Anachronox tends to prefer absurd humor overall, but it has a very Hitchhiker's Guide blend of dark and absurd moments.
There is one specific moment in the game that I swear got the biggest laugh out of me in any game, before or since.

Making things up is amazing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I still have this game installed. I started a new character with it. It would probably help if someone could point me at one of the tricks to slow down my CPU so I could finish it this time, though.

Maybe locking the framerate could work? I read that it helped people get past some notorious pitfalls (ie, the Lucko Coldwolf chase). My videocard's software gives this option, but it messes with Fraps when I try it.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I played through the Steam version, and the default executable that gets run by the Steam client was bugged to hell on my modern computer. The game's directory had another .exe filed called "GCT Setup" in it, and when I ran that and hit the "Run Anachronox" button in the window that popped up, the game ran much better. If you have the same version of the game, that might fix some of the problems the it's giving you.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

davidspackage posted:

Maybe locking the framerate could work? I read that it helped people get past some notorious pitfalls (ie, the Lucko Coldwolf chase). My videocard's software gives this option, but it messes with Fraps when I try it.

Probably because, unless FRAPS has changed the way it works, FRAPS will effectively act as a framerate lock on whatever game you're playing while it's recording. It's kind of weird that way.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
There is dedicated software dedicated to this that I used when playing the Bladerunner the adventure game. Just do some googling.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

In today's episode, Boots commits terrible crimes, gets some back-up, and does some actual detective work.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On my current playthrough, I figured talking to the NoxGuard after getting the helmet would be bad, so I didn't and just beat it. The druggie didn't drop the blood filter for me. I also went to the junkyard before realizing I needed to talk to the flyer, and cleared it out, making a tidy profit. Surprisingly it was a lot easier than expected. I remembered it having a lot of tough fights, but this time I breezed through. Lots of extra XP, items and cash. Very helpful!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the first fights as Boots alone are disproportionally hard if you don't use FatimaScreen and items. As soon as you have a buddy, fights are so much simpler.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sadly, not much thought went into the actual gameplay here. Typical for a JRPGbut still... I'd love to see a proper sequel with modern mechanics; the world and writing are fantastic but combat drags it down so much.
I think I remember a couple fairly clever boss fights though.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

anilEhilated posted:

I'd love to see a proper sequel with modern mechanics; the world and writing are fantastic but combat drags it down so much.
I think I remember a couple fairly clever boss fights though.

I wonder if the combat was a casualty of Ion's internal politics; if you think about it, a big part of the battle system seems to be based around wacky environmental interactions to break up JRPG line-dancing. That means people have to think up and code a string of unique arenas...which clearly didn't happen.

I'd dearly love to read Anachronox's original design document. I bet so much of this weird design will make sense once we see what it was supposed to tie into.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

To be honest, the cinematography seems a tad overdone. I certainly appreciate the dynamic shots, but the swooping elevator angles are so active it's like they're overcompensating.

Also, I hadn't realized the Deanimo subplot went on for so long. I don't think I even spoke to her friend again.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Resident Canadian checking in. I love that the money not only uses our cash for the textures, but people ask for loonies (1 Dollar coin). I'm suprised there are no toonies though they replaced our 2 dollar bank note and were common wheb this game came out.

Also when we picked up the cash in the first episode those big coins were actually upscaled pennies, not loonies. Pennies don't exist in Canadian currency anymore.

Otherwise this is a game I always wanted to see or play, thank you very much for your effort. You can really see how they wanted to make a jrpg with a western flair.

Unrelated, but has anyone ever seen a good lp of Septerra Core? It is the other pc rpg that I've always been curious about.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 10, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There is one on the LP archive. Now that was a game with nothing to redeem the atrocious dungeoneering.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Bought Anachronox because of this LP. At about 8$ on steam, it's not exactly a deal breaker. There's certainly a lot worse games being sold for more, plus really enjoying this LP. It'll also tide me over until Persona 5 gets to my doorstep.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 10, 2017

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

In the newly opened Anachronox Tours area, we meet an old buddy of Boots, and we go looking for something to please Eddie.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
I like to imagine that the taxi really is that small, and Boots and Grumpos are just crammed in there in awkward silence the whole flight.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'd comfortably put this part of the game in the same gritty cyberpunk box as the original Deus Ex...if it weren't for the fact we just quested around after someone's sock.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I'd comfortably put this part of the game in the same gritty cyberpunk box as the original Deus Ex...if it weren't for the fact we just quested around after someone's sock.

The game also gets significantly less cyberpunk once we finally leave Anachronox.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Just wanted to say that I really love this LP! I like your explanation of everything without over talking the dialogue and exposition. Looking forward to each episode!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thank you, that's nice to hear!

Boots and Grumpos enter the Junkyard, the first combat-heavy area. After the first two fights I start cutting them up, which I intend to do whenever I don't have some new enemy type, special attack or combat element to show off. Hope you guys feel this is a good compromise, but if you have other ideas on how to show (or not show) the fights, I'm interested to hear.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Tom Hall seems to like turning game mechanics into character traits. It gives the game a fun playground vibe; like the whole thing is one giant game of Let's Pretend.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So this is where the game actually rears its ugly head and starts clobbering you with gameplay. Two dungeons back to back, nothing interesting in either of them.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
And the reason that Boots has that chewing gum on the bottom of his boot...

...is that he's a gumshoe.

I felt so bad when I got that joke.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I actually did the junkyard twice because I forgot that you need to learn where Eddie is from the informant before you can get past his bouncer. It was worth it though for the extra XP, item drops, and Loonies.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

So this is where the game actually rears its ugly head and starts clobbering you with gameplay. Two dungeons back to back, nothing interesting in either of them.
Emptyquoting this.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

anilEhilated posted:

Learn to love the fast-forward button. It fast forwards everything. I had it remapped from '\' to 'r'. It is a godsend in combat to speed up the animations and ATB circle so you can act faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I played the whole game not knowing there was a fast-forward button. Some of those attack animations are kinda long. :smith:

• Locked thread