Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dunked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Torrannor posted:

And I support your appreciation for SD3's soundtrack, imho it's the best SNES soundtrack.

I can't get enough of the batman punch sound effect snare drum.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Torrannor posted:

Wow, silhouette slice! That's amazing, a very good episode.

Now I worry that going without healer might have been a mistake :ohdear:

And I support your appreciation for SD3's soundtrack, imho it's the best SNES soundtrack.

Through a little bit of looking at class changes in advance, I can confirm that it will take at least some work on the thread's behalf to be short a healer.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I took a glance at the class changes as well, and there's some interesting stuff there!

Also tried the patch with the Tough difficulty, and I got my rear end kicked by the Rabites and mushroom monsters early on. Whoops.
Admittedly, I did pick Carlie for reasons.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
God, I love the music in this game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Though it does sound like the music tempo gets mucked with periodically in your video. What emulator are you using? Please don't say ZSNES. :negative:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Though it does sound like the music tempo gets mucked with periodically in your video. What emulator are you using? Please don't say ZSNES. :negative:

zsnes 1.36 is the only emulator that has functional netplay for this game. even 1.43 crashes on all mode 7 switches. i looked at retrocore but good criminy are there billions of reports of mammoth desync with that.

we can generally port the saveram over though so if there is a better option by all means suggest it and we can mess with it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 27, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Coolguye posted:

zsnes 1.36 is the only emulator that has functional netplay for this game. even 1.43 crashes on all mode 7 switches. i looked at retrocore but good criminy are there billions of reports of mammoth desync with that.

we can generally port the saveram over though so if there is a better option by all means suggest it and we can mess with it.

By "we" we mean Cool can mess with it and then I can do what he says.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

NOW YOU'RE CATCHING ON.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ah, netplay. Not something I would know anything about. Carry on, then. :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tea is the one doing all the recording and he is the host, so all technical hiccups should be quite minimal as his copy is the one controlling all of the timing. i get some occasional big sound glitches on my end but from experience i know that doesn't propagate over to the host.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I recall the ninjas using silhouette slice at level 1 in the unpatched game as well. They did so less than once per Lise intro, but they did have that move. They however died quickly and spent most of their non dead time stunlocked and also didn't have poison.

I wonder if the game is at its hardest now. It's not too uncommon that hard modes make a game the hardest at the beginning since the player doesn't have the options needed to do anything about the boosted stats. We'll see.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the patch notes are absolutely rife with notes about fixes and changes to boss AI scripts so i am pretty well expecting every boss fight to be a capitol-P Problem until we hit our mechanical stride. even afterward, i expect bosses to continue to have lethal surprises for us. during recording yesterday i told Tea that i'm already concerned about the Full Metal Hugger.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Coolguye posted:

the patch notes are absolutely rife with notes about fixes and changes to boss AI scripts so i am pretty well expecting every boss fight to be a capitol-P Problem until we hit our mechanical stride. even afterward, i expect bosses to continue to have lethal surprises for us. during recording yesterday i told Tea that i'm already concerned about the Full Metal Hugger.

It's a ways off, but I can't wait to see how difficult some of the God Beasts are with this mod. Even in the base game a few of them were really difficult, though the wind one was mostly hard because your AI partners couldn't figure out how to attack it and would just run back and forth doing nothing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah trying to think ahead, i'm not looking forward to either the god-beast of wind or the god-beast of darkness. more immediately, i'm concerned about the Full Metal Hugger and i'm very concerned about the Gem Eater. the Gem Eater was no slouch in the main game, and the patch notes have half a dozen notes on his fixing and rebalancing. anything could happen there.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 27, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The hardest time I ever had in this game was climbing the Moon Tower (or whatever it was called) after having opted to do that God Beast last. High-level werewolves are jerks. Conversely I don't remember ever having much difficulty with the God-Beast of Wind, aside from the fact that you have to recast buffs/debuffs every time the phase changes because it's technically a different scene.

Has the PikoPiko hammer exploit been patched?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my larger concern with the god-beast of wind is that typically to take him down you sling tons of spells, and angela is going to be our only truely offensive spellcaster. lise is not likely to have substantial spells to sling, and one of the ways they nerfed hawk was they forced his jutsus and traps to get powered up from luck instead of agility. he will not have the magical firepower he normally has in the base game. hawk will be forced to maintain a more balanced approach to stay relevant, and the god-beast of wind will basically be laughing off the physical half of his approach.

by piko piko hammer i presume you mean the chibbiko hammer, the one that turns you tiny? there are patch notes surrounding fixing a bunch of stuff with that, yeah, though i was never a fan of messing with it like that anyway.

basically all of the dungeons are a big black blob to me, even what we have done so far has clearly transmitted that everything we think we know about the dungeon crawls in this game is no longer valid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, yeah, it's chibikko in this game. The exploit was that since you can only have one status effect at a time, you could cure any status effect on the party by turning everyone tiny and then returning them to normal size. It rendered Puipui Grass completely irrelevant and removed a lot of stress from some bosses that liked to tag you with status effects.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ah yes, i believe they handled that by making it so you cannot use it in combat any more.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The hardest time I ever had in this game was climbing the Moon Tower (or whatever it was called) after having opted to do that God Beast last. High-level werewolves are jerks. Conversely I don't remember ever having much difficulty with the God-Beast of Wind, aside from the fact that you have to recast buffs/debuffs every time the phase changes because it's technically a different scene.

I always remember the wind God-Beast because the track for that fight makes you feel badass.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The hardest time I ever had in this game was climbing the Moon Tower (or whatever it was called) after having opted to do that God Beast last. High-level werewolves are jerks.

Those werewolves spamming Kevin's level 3 techs are one of the few places in a run where I ever run the risk of getting a game over. Everything is going fine and then your party is wiped out of nowhere. The enemies before the earth one were a pain as well, I think because the hedgehog enemies would lower your defense with one of their attacks and then you'd get wiped out by other attacks as a result.

I would save the God Beast of light for last, just for grinding if no other reason. That area has a perfect loop of three screens that you can run around in circles over and over for great experience, and also has Mama Potos, who spawn Papa Potos, who can drop ??? seeds to get the final class changes done before getting to the illusion city. The boss spamming that one attack that turns everyone into moogles is a real pain though, especially if the hammer trick doesn't work anymore.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fortunately for us, the class change seeds are on sale later on in the game so we will not have to worry about that nonsense.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Coolguye posted:

fortunately for us, the class change seeds are on sale later on in the game so we will not have to worry about that nonsense.

Thank gently caress.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Coolguye posted:

What about the weapon/armor seeds? Those could be way more annoying to farm depending on which story route you chose.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Did they also change the experience curve and/or class change level requirement so that you don't have to specifically take time out to grind if you want to get your second class change at all? Like, I'd routinely hit endgame around level 33-34, just killing everything on each screen once.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What about the weapon/armor seeds? Those could be way more annoying to farm depending on which story route you chose.
not sure about this one, will have to check

Did they also change the experience curve and/or class change level requirement so that you don't have to specifically take time out to grind if you want to get your second class change at all? Like, I'd routinely hit endgame around level 33-34, just killing everything on each screen once.
we are DEFINITELY leveling up way, way faster so far and i noticed XP rubberbanding in effect. at one point, Tea killed a level 4 rabite while he was level 3 and got 10 XP for it, then only received 5 after he got to 4.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 27, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

we are DEFINITELY leveling up way, way faster so far and i noticed XP rubberbanding in effect. at one point, Tea killed a level 4 rabite while he was level 3 and got 10 XP for it, then only received 5 after he got to 4.

Excellent. Catchup experience is definitely preferable to having monsters scale to your level IMO.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Coolguye posted:

What, are you serious?

The one thing RetroArch is supposedly good for over using a solo emulator (netplay) and it sucks at it? This does not compute.

EDIT: Supposedly there was a big update specifically for netplay recently? It added zbattle-esque lobbies?

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-4-1-open-beta-released-highlights/

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mean i've never tried it myself so it could be that all of this stuff is just out of date, especially with the update. i'll have to download it again to look; i certainly wouldn't say no to a slicker netplay experience, especially if it can make the game look more gorgeous.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly RetroArch is pretty hard to use for the vast majority of people. I would not be shocked if they did something like mix BSNES cores.

EDIT: Supposedly if you want netplay you can use either the BSNES or SNES9x cores, but pick one and stick with it. And don't try anything funny like netplaying between Windows and Linux or something, it does not necessarily work cross-platform.

EDIT 2: Here's some docs. https://github.com/GregorR/RetroArch/wiki/Netplay-core-testing

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 27, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

holy god can they make this UI any worse

i'm honestly asking here

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's very unintuitive and is the sole reason I do not use it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

neongrey posted:

Thank gently caress.

And here I was gearing up for a good two hours of grinding.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
So... did Elliot just have his own copy of the key to the wind machine because he's royalty, or can only royal bloodlined types activate/deactivate things?

I mean, I feel sorry as poo poo for him to be toyed with by those pesky ninja, but I kinda wonder if the Amazons could have had that thing guarded better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i thought about calling that out in the video, but then i remembered that we are dealing with Bill and Ben here.

even in vanilla, those guys are hard enough that you could hit them with diamonds and the diamonds would come away scratched. failing eliott being less of an idiot, that infiltration was gonna happen.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 02: You Just Sold the Long Spear

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 1, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
This promises to be a wonderful treat to watch.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Pro gaming stratz.

(but for real this is a good watch so far)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's great that the patch is more generous with the advanced items. Especially since you can replicate many of their effects later in the game with your characters, while they are much more valuable in the early game. But lol at that Angel's Grail price.

I see you were forced to grind for money to afford equipment much sooner than usual :cheeky:

• Locked thread