Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Trasson posted:

Dark Force sounds nice but Dark's not the most common weakness, and you're already past one of the areas it's really nice to have by the time you can Magus.

I don't disagree with the other things you said, but given how early the first class change is happening, my expectation is that the second one will happen either at Mana Holyland or shortly afterwards, leaving you most of the second half of the game with your final classes. I seem to recall a quote from the modder saying that they expect you to finish right around level 99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't disagree with the other things you said, but given how early the first class change is happening, my expectation is that the second one will happen either at Mana Holyland or shortly afterwards, leaving you most of the second half of the game with your final classes. I seem to recall a quote from the modder saying that they expect you to finish right around level 99.

As far as I know the second class change is set to happen around or just before the fire mana stone.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do you still need items for the second class change?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

YggiDee posted:

Do you still need items for the second class change?

Yes, but they're sold in a shop near the fire mana stone.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BTW, Duran has no special dialogue in the bar in Forcena, at least not during that scene. After his prologue, all of the locations in Forcena except his house (which he refuses to enter) treat him as a complete stranger.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

ssmagus posted:

You've convinced me.

1. Valkyrie
2. Ranger
3. Delvar

Sounds good to me as well

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hello friends!

Voting is set to close at 7:30 pm BST today, which for those checking is in about five hours time.

I have a vote tally here

If possible could you check your votes are correct and make any changes now.

At the moment:

Valkyrie is beating Rune Maiden, 22 votes to 7

Ranger is beating Ninja, 19 votes to 10

Delvar is beating Sorceress, 17 votes to 12.

It looks like we might be heading to team Rescued from the Garbage Pile which has racked up 7 votes individually.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

DFlux posted:

1. Valkyrie
2. Ranger
3. Delvar

Go Go Team Rescued From The Garbage Pile!

I'll add my vote for this one. Here is a question? Do bosses still counter attack any "stop the action" spell/ability?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that would be a question for the mod maker but I'm going to presume that certain bosses will counter screen freezers.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, there's no way a hard mode mod doesn't have every enemy counter screen freezes by the end of the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

Yeah, there's no way a hard mode mod doesn't have every enemy counter screen freezes by the end of the game.

So far this hard-mode mod has been unusually clear of bullshit. I mean, yes, they wiped horribly to Gem Eater, but only once; I'd be disappointed if a "hard" mod didn't make me game-over a few times. Honestly the only real bullshit I've seen so far was the ninja in the very first room using an L2 tech.

And there's a lot to like about the mod that makes me think the developer is thinking more than "durr let's just make the numbers all really big, that's hard right?" Stuff like ramping up levels so you class-change earlier, attaching special abilities to equipment, regenerating MP, increasing the number of items you can keep in the ring menu, etc. is all stuff that makes the game easier and isn't the kind of thing you normally see in hardmode hacks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Voting is Closed

Our party will be a Valkyrie, Ranger and Delvar!

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

So far this hard-mode mod has been unusually clear of bullshit. I mean, yes, they wiped horribly to Gem Eater, but only once; I'd be disappointed if a "hard" mod didn't make me game-over a few times. Honestly the only real bullshit I've seen so far was the ninja in the very first room using an L2 tech.

And there's a lot to like about the mod that makes me think the developer is thinking more than "durr let's just make the numbers all really big, that's hard right?" Stuff like ramping up levels so you class-change earlier, attaching special abilities to equipment, regenerating MP, increasing the number of items you can keep in the ring menu, etc. is all stuff that makes the game easier and isn't the kind of thing you normally see in hardmode hacks.
That's probably because most hard mode hacks are poorly made.

Hunting a Tiger with a rifle made for killing tigers is more dangerous than hunting foxes with rifles made for foxes. Hunting a Tiger with a rifle made for foxes would be more dangerous still, but now we're entering idiot territory.

One good way to make a game more challenging is to up the challenge while also giving the player the tools to handle that challenge. This does not cancel out the added challenge, no more than upgrading from a fox rifle to a tiger rifle would making hunting Tigers as easy as hunting foxes used to be. Likewise, if the player is given a lot of tools and need to use them skillfully, that's harder than just having and needing a few tools. So far, it seems like this is what the hack is doing. The exception being the start of course, that was a good example of you being asked to hunt Tigers with a fox rifle.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

That's probably because most hard mode hacks are poorly made.

Hunting a Tiger with a rifle made for killing tigers is more dangerous than hunting foxes with rifles made for foxes. Hunting a Tiger with a rifle made for foxes would be more dangerous still, but now we're entering idiot territory.

One good way to make a game more challenging is to up the challenge while also giving the player the tools to handle that challenge. This does not cancel out the added challenge, no more than upgrading from a fox rifle to a tiger rifle would making hunting Tigers as easy as hunting foxes used to be. Likewise, if the player is given a lot of tools and need to use them skillfully, that's harder than just having and needing a few tools. So far, it seems like this is what the hack is doing. The exception being the start of course, that was a good example of you being asked to hunt Tigers with a fox rifle.

this got quoted during recording today :thumbsup:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm playing through this hack and it feels almost impossible solo. The enemy stats are so high you basically have to dip and dodge through screens or just straight out run and the ai tries to suicide at every opportunity.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm playing through this hack and it feels almost impossible solo. The enemy stats are so high you basically have to dip and dodge through screens or just straight out run and the ai tries to suicide at every opportunity.

What team are you using and where are you at? I'm assuming you're using the default "hard" difficulty. I've gotten up to the Moonlight Forest on my run (Sage/Arch Mage/Rogue), so I think I've got a bit of a handle on things.

First, be really careful about casting. Cast times without maxed Intelligence/Spirit/Agility for your class are absolutely longer than vanilla. Combine this with harder hitting enemies, and you'll probably just go and die if you just sit down in a crowd to cast a spell.

Secondly, be really aggressive with healing. If you're on hard, then you've got the death penalty to deal with. Four round drops cost less than a stay at an inn to go and fix that up. Even without that, you're expected to go into every fight fully or mostly healed. Get someone with Heal Light or learn to mainline candy. There's a reason everyone but Hawk has a class who can use Heal Light.
On that note, be aware of the base game's structure. There's several segments with gold statues but not inns. You'd never care in the base game but here you can work yourself into a bit of a mess otherwise.

Thirdly, be aware of your equipment. Running around with experience boosting gear sounds nice but you'll have the defenses of a wet paper bag. You only need one person with the armor (and probably the accessory), and you'll want to save that gear for dedicated leveling up as opposed to simple travel from place to place. You also need to be aware of your enemies. For example, the Sub-Zero Snowfield is filled with Magician class enemies. Loading up on magic defense gear will make a big difference.

Fourthly, tactics. You can now dash in combat: abuse that. Enemies are also dumb enough to get caught on terrain: abuse that.

Fifth, diversify your offense. Even on a magic focused team, you'll want one character with gear and stats for fighting physically at need. I've found Carlie being the physical lynchpin of my team, since Angela and Hawk have much stronger spells.

Sixth, the AI is an idiot. They get a massive Evade boost to compensate. Which leads me to...

Seventh, your stats matter. Low Agility and Luck will find you getting hit and crit a whole bunch. Just because you can now raise Strength every level up doesn't mean you should. Similarly, high Agility and Luck will find you missing less and dodging more, and taking more consistent damage. Combined with the AI's evade bonus, it's possible to set someone up to be a dodge tank. Obviously, Hawk is best for this. Carlie and Angela can do it too, though, as their spells cast faster with Agility and so they've got a reason to pump that stat. Duran's also not a bad choice, as he (as well as Carlie) get weapons that scale from Agility, not Strength.

Eighth: No seriously, be aware of your equipment. Shifting over to more defensive stuff can make a world of difference. Make sure everyone has, at least, a Marble Ring, a Jewel Ring, and a Leather Gauntlet. They're all dirt cheap accessories from Wendel and Maia. The Marble Ring raises both defenses, the Jewel Ring magic defense, and the Leather Gauntlet physical defense. Combined they'll let you switch in defenses at need. I also suggest keeping a set of body armor and headgear oriented towards physical and magical defense at the very least. There's a reason that all of the basic statistical stuff is dirt cheap while the fancy effects are expensive!

Finally, when all else fails, yeah, level up a bit. A point or two in Vitality or Spirit can give you the durability you need. Especially early on, when you've got fewer tools to use. If you can make to to Rolante and your first class change, then you'll probably be fine. That's not to say there aren't some trouble spots -- (Sub Zero Snowfield spoilers) I had to solo the Machine Golems with Carlie because the AI is completely incapable of dodging their simple pattern, but I imagine a team more built for durability would have no trouble -- but once you've got options available you're probably dying due to not looking at them as opposed to unfairness.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Running Duran, Angela, Hawke and just got past Full Metal Hugger. Just aggravating that my candy stock basically evaporates because the AI loves taking hits for no reason. Basically have to run through screens because fighting is not worth it in terms of resources.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

Running Duran, Angela, Hawke and just got past Full Metal Hugger. Just aggravating that my candy stock basically evaporates because the AI loves taking hits for no reason. Basically have to run through screens because fighting is not worth it in terms of resources.

Yeah, that early on there's not much you can do. The AI had this problem in vanilla, but damage was so low there it meant nothing. For a while (probably until after Jewel Eater), you'll probably want to old-school it and do dedicated leveling up near statues and inns and then do mad dashes for bosses/exits. Angela will have Fireball now so that helps, and you'll have actual equipment options. If it's any consolation, I had to level up to 9 maxing both Strength and Vitality on Carlie/Angela to beat FMH. Even still, it was close.

Regardless, one tip that can help: Enemies will either pick a random target or go after the closest party member. You can abuse this by using your lead to kite most of the enemies while your two party members gang up on the last.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there a fan patch that has both the english translation AND fixes the myriad of glitches and bugs that plague this otherwise wonderful game that can absolutely be mentioned in the same breath as other great SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger and the like

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Is there a fan patch that has both the english translation AND fixes the myriad of glitches and bugs that plague this otherwise wonderful game that can absolutely be mentioned in the same breath as other great SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger and the like

Isn't that exactly what this hack is?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Also that isn't, by accounts here, kinda frustrating unless you follow a recommended strategy

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

This hack goes beyond fixing bugs, though, so it's not quite what they're looking for.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

simply fixing the bugs is a terrible idea because it makes evasion trivially exploitable to become physical immune...and this happens on both the CPU side and the player's side. this is only one example of many. there is an easy-type version of the hack we're playing that lowers the damage to be more in line with what you'd expect to see in vanilla. use that?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

quote:

Hard/Default:
Player Strength: 100%
Enemy Strength: 100%
Poison deals 10% damage to players and 5% damage to enemies
chance for treasure chest on victory: 1/1
chance for trap on chest: 50%
Rare Treasure Bonus: 10%
Life steal: 50%
Feature complete.

Tough:
Player Strength: 115%
Enemy Strength: 70%
Poison deals 8% damage to players and 6% damage to enemies
chance for treasure chest on victory: 1/2
chance for trap on chest: 35%
Rare Treasure Bonus: 7%
Life steal: 33%

Normal:
Player Strength: 130%
Enemy Strength: 50%
Poison deals 7% damage to players and 7% damage to enemies
chance for treasure chest on victory: 1/2
chance for trap on chest: 25%
Rare Treasure Bonus: 5%
Life steal: 25%
Death penalty disabled for failed chest traps.

Easy:
Player Strength: 150%
Enemy Strength: 35%
Poison deals 5% damage to players and 10% damage to enemies
chance for treasure chest on victory: 1/3
chance for trap on chest: 20%
Rare Treasure Bonus: 3%
Life steal: 20%
Death penalty disabled.
This difficulty should be close to the difficulty of the unmodified game.

Wuss:
Player Strength: 180%
Enemy Strength: 15%
Poison deals 1% damage to players and 12% damage to enemies
chance for treasure chest on victory: 1/3
chance for trap on chest: 15%
Rare Treasure Bonus: 0%
Life steal: 15%
Death penalty disabled.

For the record, the LPers are playing on Normal. My runthrough's been on Hard, and while I've found it challenging at points, never anything I haven't been able to handle (although I've played the base game to death). I'm not the "average" player, though

I'm pretty sure you should be able to apply whatever difficulty patch you want even to a game in progress, so go and try it out on Normal or Easy and work from there. The hack creator also made a "fix only" patch but I'd recommend that (as does he! People simply wouldn't shut up so he did it anyway). Outside of the various balance issues present in vanilla, the changed level progression alone is worth giving Sin of Mana a shot, since now you don't need to spend twenty hours of gameplay to get to the interesting stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 10: Hips do not move that way!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just noticed that Hawk and Lise both sleep with their headbands on, and Hawk even has his bracers on the whole night.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I never really paid too much attention to the hop until now and I can't stop giggling.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

This game is so intensely giffable.

This family's got hops

e: not sure why that 2nd gif has some whitespace on the bottom, too :effort: to fix it

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Speaking of the Amazons being the only competent army: When you have Jinn and return to King Richard, he will have two Knights of Gold standing beside him. If you talk to them, they will say something like "The Knights of Gold are suppressing Altena's moves". Which makes me wonder why they couldn't stop Altena from taking Forcena in the first place, and why they are able to counter them at that later point, at least for a while.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm looking at those gifs and feeling like bustin should be playing over them

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
This has been bugging me for a bunch of videos now and I'm only just remembering to mention it. Since you're still using ZSNES and it's general ZSNES-ness, then of course this isn't a setting that's on by default. The SNES runs in 256x224 by default, but some games utilize its high res 512x448 mode for various purposes. With ZSNES, if you set your video settings to be one of the "D" ones (e.g. 800x600 DR F), then you enable some extra display options. One of these is "high res mode 7", which you'll want to turn on. Even without clicking that on though, just switching to one of the D modes seems to fix the problem at hand. Turning that on will probably help with some other graphical elements, though. I haven't noticed anything else wrong but this isn't 2002 so you don't need to let ZSNES cheat on accuracy for speed anymore.

Which is that the smaller text is absolute garbage. Regular dialog text is unaffected but stuff like the item ring info bars really uses it, along with most of the menu. You'll immediately notice a difference unless you're completely blind.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah from my angle I keep trying different cores on retroarch to see if we can swap to that reasonably precisely because it looks a ton better. But because the world hates me every single core I've tried is hot garbage that destroys the sound even worse than the occasional menu ring bug.

I'm not 100% clear on tea's settings for zsnes though

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In order to maintain sound, you must have perfect vsync, no ifs ands or buts. If you do not, may God have mercy on your ears.

Use the SNES9x core, BSNES has this horribly distracting thing where you can see tiles shifting during menu transitions... no idea what the hell there.

Then, go to Video-> Estimated Refresh Rate. Wait until it basically stabilizes, then select the estimated rate to set it properly. You must do this for proper sound or else.

I have this running if you need help, by the by. WOuldn't mind testing the netplay.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 17, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Trasson posted:

This has been bugging me for a bunch of videos now and I'm only just remembering to mention it. Since you're still using ZSNES and it's general ZSNES-ness, then of course this isn't a setting that's on by default. The SNES runs in 256x224 by default, but some games utilize its high res 512x448 mode for various purposes. With ZSNES, if you set your video settings to be one of the "D" ones (e.g. 800x600 DR F), then you enable some extra display options. One of these is "high res mode 7", which you'll want to turn on. Even without clicking that on though, just switching to one of the D modes seems to fix the problem at hand. Turning that on will probably help with some other graphical elements, though. I haven't noticed anything else wrong but this isn't 2002 so you don't need to let ZSNES cheat on accuracy for speed anymore.

Which is that the smaller text is absolute garbage. Regular dialog text is unaffected but stuff like the item ring info bars really uses it, along with most of the menu. You'll immediately notice a difference unless you're completely blind.

Yeah, high res mode 7 doesn't exist on 1.36 which is the version we have to use for netplay and I run D mode normally as is.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah, high res mode 7 doesn't exist on 1.36 which is the version we have to use for netplay and I run D mode normally as is.

I think there's a modified build of 1.42 with netplay (rather, there is but I downloaded it close to a decade ago and couldn't tell you where I got it) but I recall 1.36 being more stable for netplay anyway. I also forgot how not featured it was.

Go get your RetroArch working Coolguye.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

The author of this romhack has reluctantly created a "fixes only" patch because people wouldn't stop asking about it, if you really want to be able to crit and have shields matter.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SettingSun posted:

The author of this romhack has reluctantly created a "fixes only" patch because people wouldn't stop asking about it, if you really want to be able to crit and have shields matter.

Wait, are Duran's Light classes useless again because his shields won't even work in the patch?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

In order to maintain sound, you must have perfect vsync, no ifs ands or buts. If you do not, may God have mercy on your ears.

Use the SNES9x core, BSNES has this horribly distracting thing where you can see tiles shifting during menu transitions... no idea what the hell there.

Then, go to Video-> Estimated Refresh Rate. Wait until it basically stabilizes, then select the estimated rate to set it properly. You must do this for proper sound or else.

I have this running if you need help, by the by. WOuldn't mind testing the netplay.

yeah we should sync up and test this sometime this week.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Torrannor posted:

Wait, are Duran's Light classes useless again because his shields won't even work in the patch?

Uh, no, he meant that if you want them to matter in the base game, there's a fixes-only patch.

And i'm pretty sure Cockabirds always resisted Earth, since Cockatrices are usually earth elemental in anything they appear in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 11: Nonononono!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 18, 2017

• Locked thread