Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why cant i remind crouch to its proper key? (control)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I have it bound. The issue is that every single action needs to be bound to a key. Making ctrl be crouch made the action that was previously bound to ctrl be empty. It doesn't let you save your changes until you fix that.

i changed that key to something else and it still won't let me rebind crouch, is there a config file somewhere with the keybinds I can edit?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im going to just start tossing grenades in open windows

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rite Of Massage posted:

the firefights in this game are fun. already way better than my dayz standalone experience. all the fun of shooting mans without the dumb "survival" (eating, drinking, farming, temperature management game) aspect. :thumbsup:

edit: it will be interesting when they actually add bullet drop and if any of the scopes will use an accurate mildot system but that might be asking for too much

I feel like ttk is so quick that you don't even get a chance usually to find where you're being shot from before you die

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like how all the answers to ttk being too fast are, "GET GOOD!!" or "IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND BETTER EQUIPMENT" I regularly make it down to 20 or less people and then just get shot in the head from behind from a million miles away because the final circle is in the middle of a field or forest with very little cover.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think that red zones should always hit in the white circle, and they should be more frequent to prevent people just camping on roofs or whatever.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rite Of Massage posted:

if you get hit in the head by 7.62 or .338 magnum, you will probably die. this applies to both in game and real life.

video games should be like real life blah blah blah, oh wait no they shouldn't

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Actually there's a more arcadey version of this game called h1z1 if you wanna check it out.

The funny thing for all the so realistic talk is that if a car is about to run you over all you have to jump and you hop right over like some kind of ninja. Also h1z1 and this are pretty much the same game as far as I can tell, but I haven't played that since they first split the main game from the king of the hill part

my favorite part is when i realistically hit someone in the head with a sickle three times but still die from bullets because of lag or whatever

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 2, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry but pedantic is "lol if you get hit in the head with a 7.62 bullet in real life you would also die" when my comment was, getting shot once and dying is stupid gameplay. Even noted bad game rainbow six siege is easier to figure out where you're being shot from

on the plus side some retard paid almost $4 for a puffy red jacket

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 2, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the guns have to be completely realistic, just like the laser/ghost barrier that kills you if you're in it and is on a timer

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I turned off local voice chat because every game it was just people screaming racial slurs and I have no idea how they'd enforce it because its impossible to tell who is doing it as far as I can tell and no way to report anyone

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if my whole team dies in team play I just hop in a car and drive around like a maniac until I die or the gas runs out

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lol what is the point of queueing up as solo for squad

get put with 3 randoms and 0 way to communicate wew lad

I guess you make good cannon fodder lol

you can squad voice chat in game

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The first time I played this game I was really confused how someone was bombing the poo poo out of the church I was looting

There is more loot around it seems, buildings that should be full of loot generally are. I like parachuting in, I hate listening to people before I drop though

I think it would be neat if bombings were a one use item you could find, instead of just completely random. Like an artillery call in grenade or some poo poo.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really prefer when the circle closes on areas with buildings, its a lot more fun than an open field or open field with two trees.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Constellation I posted:

Depending on the flight path, I just dive bomb into the 100% car spawns. Drive to one of the high loot areas (military preferred) the furthest away from the flight path and just hope that luck is on your side in terms of loot and squads having the same idea as you.

In squad mode, I've ended up in a few groups of three that are using this tactic now. Seems like its gaining popularity.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

Played a bunch today, pushed my squad rank all the way to 562. One of the things I'm starting to notice is that snipers are almost exclusively an early to early/mid game tool, at least in squad. Saw a bunch of dudes get murked because they were hiding behind a tree and possibly not getting the best support from their team late game, especially by teams that coordinated movement.

If I had my way I'll take an AKM or SCAR with a red dot and extended mag in the late game over any of the snipers, save possibly the SKS. People keep snipers in play way too long, especially the Kar98. That thing is a death sentence in the last few circles.

for me its probably ak or m4 with a 4x, I really don't like the red dots

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Don't match into squad solo, are you crazy?

matching into squad solo is usually more fun than playing solo imo

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I love how you can put a silencer on the semi-auto shotgun. That thing is a beast close/medium range and it gets HUGE with the silencer on it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

So what's the story with H1Z1? Seems like there's at least some story there, since I know Playerunknown licensed out the mod idea to get H1Z1 made but then it seems like just when I was starting to hear about H1Z1 (as someone super not tuned into this kind of survival-esque steam game, you know the type) everyone suddenly jumped ship to PUBG.

From memory H1Z1 was originally being developed by the guy/(team?) that developed or designed planetside 2. There were all sorts of promises to polish and design something that wasn't a janky pile of poo. Then it came out and it was a janky pile of poo and then the dev team working on it changed names or the game was sold or something like that? Not sure on that part. But in the end I don't think anything at all was ever improved. I haven't played it in a long time though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

Heh. I played DayZ standalone. This game was better -and when I say better I mean holy poo poo better- on day one than standalone is today after four years of "development."

the bar is pretty loving low in this genre of game though. 'holy poo poo better' is still like, the game does the things I'm telling it to do only sometimes instead of lagging out and doing nothing and sometimes you can play a round without some weird glitch or lovely lag.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

For sure. I'm just saying what a pleasant surprise this game is in terms of quality right off the bat especially when compared to years long development slogs like DayZ.

Yeah, its a really fun genre that is marred by a whole bunch of extremely poorly designed games. H1Z1, DayZ, The War Z(I think it was called?) off the top of my head. I hope this one at least irons out the kinks if not taking it further and refining the game with more maps and modes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Video Nasty posted:

Really wish there was a kill cam of some kind to see how where they got the drop on me so I can learn for next time. Great fun in this game so far!

Kill cam would be nice, but only for solo play. I managed to wipe an entire squad by myself last night with the double barrel and a grenade. I was like solid snake sneaking around walls and poo poo, even with the new super loud footsteps they didn't notice me. That gun is great because you can kill people in the two shots it has in it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Scarecow posted:

God my fov is like looking through a tube and mouse smoothness is back on now wtf

fun over

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
third person makes the game more fun, but the first person only people will supposedly get their own sperg mode at some point. It isn't really a 'hindrance' because everyone has the same (terrible) third person now that they nerfed the fov ini change

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like one of the big draws of this game is that it isn't trying too hard to be a realistic milsperg jerk off session. Granted I haven't read too much into the dev's opinion on this kind of thing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

There's a difference between being a bit casual and having a camera schema that is completely asymmetrically advantageous and highly encourages and favors camping.

I honestly doubt people will camp less in the first person only mode servers, but that would be an interesting thing to keep track of somehow. Games like this will always favor campers. Despite all this you can still run into a room with dudes who know you're coming and kill them in two hits with a shotgun.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah but they'll have to actually peek out and show themselves, which makes a big difference.

On the flip side of that, the game is such a way that you have to peek a ridiculous amount of your body just to peer over the top of a window ledge in first person or whatever.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

correct, it would hinder camping

If the problem is "camping bad" there are lots of ways to combat camping specifically. Fixing grenades so you can throw them through windows in less than 40 seconds, make more of the environment destructible, make it so artillery is a rare one use item you can call in(that destroys trees/buildings people might be camping around). Getting rid of third person won't mean that people will camp less, they'll just camp differently.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The way it is right now everyone has the exact same "super third person extra special" or whatever you guys are claiming it is. Just like without it everyone would just be in first person. I'm willing to bet that people will actually camp more with first person only.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ItheWelp87 posted:

it's about who was set up behind the right object at the right time to catch someone en route to somewhere else.

Yeah but the game will still be like that on the first person only mode servers that they said they would make. It will just be in first person instead of third person. Getting to cover before the other team means you will usually win.

Whats more important in my mind is probably flanking and using cover to flank. Part of this would be to kill the whole "ultra low foliage" thing and putting in a lot more vegetation so its not like uncle bob took his lawn mower and mowed the entire island flat. Those farms should be surrounded by corn/wheat whatever.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 14, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

because allowing 3rd person makes really unfun strategies viable hence

Is the unfun strategy camping? because people will still camp. I mean they're already giving the spergs what they want (or at least my understanding is they said they're working of fp only mode) so I don't get what more you guys want from this?

A somewhat limited third person camera, especially in a game where you can't just peek the top of your head over things or around corners and have to reveal massive amounts of your body instead seems like a fairly reasonable compromise. The third person in this game seems somewhat more limited in FOV compared to that video you posted at least.

Have you guys never played counterstrike? People still camp, and the people camping usually have the advantage. Heck, you can't even lean in counterstrike like you can in this game, so people just pick a corner and don't move/peek anything unless absolutely necessary.

If epic firefights are your thing then I think the lightning quick TTK would bug you more than third person.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 14, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the unfun strategy is camping with no repercussions to the person camping, I can't believe I'm typing this out a third time I seriously think you took too many irl frying pans to the head

You will still be able to camp with no repercussions in just first person mode. No one is forcing you to peek out when you camp playing in first person only and in fact its probably the most safe way to play camp and never move or peek unless necessary.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im looking forward to them fixing the lag so that its easier to get an idea for what problems there actually are with shooting

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
with the new foliage i've found you can hide prone in the grass much better, had a person walk literally right in front of me before I opened fire and I walked about 20 feet in front of a whole squad before they opened fire on me

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
a plethora of weapons would be fine so long as the game picked from a large pool on map generation and only used like five or six each game. I don't like the longer circle timers, makes rounds feel much longer and I liked how quick they were before.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I haven't played the live version, but the circle timers were longer on the test servers last night, did that not make it to live?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like the swamp plus radio tower. Not usually enough to equip a whole squad though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

My regular squad refuses to use 8x scopes on ARs and always leave that to me. What do? How can I make them understand that an AR w/8x is a decent substitute for an SKS or a sniper?

I personally just don't like the 8x or higher because I can't ever actually hit anything at those ranges. I've tried leading, I've tried accounting for bullet drop, I don't know if it is lag or what, but my squad mates are always better off if I have a normal scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't think I've ever intentionally set foot in pochinki or rozhok. Is either town actually worth fighting in or is "long parachute or car/boat to zharki/lipovka/primorsk/novo" better

Since every one is doing get a car and run away a lot of those towns can end up with a reasonable amount of loot left over.

• Locked thread