Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I grabbed this this weekend after seeing how popular it was, and hating how H1Z1 (or w/e it's called) looked. Enjoying myself a lot, it's like a way quicker version of early Arma 2 DayZ modding.

I somehow got to second place in my 5th game after basically dying in the first 5m every single time before cause I didn't know what I was doing and 5 other people would land near by and slaughter me.

Just playing it slow and steady and trying to plan your movements is what helped me a lot. I probably could have won the game since I could see the other person but he couldn't see me, but I was in a lovely spot and had 8 5.56 rounds left and only a shotgun as my backup (I was also wasn't in the last circle).

My heart was pounding after that match and now I'm usually in the top 25. I could see this being a lot of fun in duos and squad if you're with the right people.

$30 is a good price for this game. It does have some serious pop-in and lag issues early game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Are they gonna add a first person only mode or something? That's something I always disliked about DayZ (or even Arma itself). If it's there I'm gonna use it cause I'm not going to put myself in a disadvantage over some e-honour BS but I don't like using third person and don't like the lack of danger in some situations

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Press V in game for first person

I'm not gonna use first person if no one else is, I was wondering if there will be forced first person settings on some servers in the future.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

You really gotta come to a complete stop to get out of a car (which is good). I've had 3 different times where a car came 'out of no where' and the guy driving bails out at full speed to try and shoot me and just ran themselves over. It looks hilarious too

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I hate streamer 'culture' but I kinda enjoy watching people play duos. The first stream I watched was some bearded guy who just screamed whenever he got shot at or heard anything, annoying as gently caress. That summit guy and some of the other guys near the top of the leaderboards are pretty decent (viss, some other names I cant remember).

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I have two roadkills also, though I didn't get credit for them because they happened after my target killed me.

I form weird bonds with my Dacia's, they seek revenge upon my death.

e- Also that's something they need to fix in Duo and Squad, if you get shot in a car with teammates alive you still get knocked out, but getting knocked out also kicks you out of the car. Meaning, if you get knocked out in a car you automatically die.

I think that's something with Arma as well, or it's the opposite where if you get knocked out, it's hard (or impossible) to get the body out to revive. I haven't played Arma 2 in a while so I forget, but a lot of the weird stuff in this game seems to come from how Arma 2 handled things

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Putting this game on my SSD made it A LOT better, so if you got one you will probably see a major performance increase. Looking back I don't know why I didn't earlier cause the map is large and there are a lot of objects to load

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Orv posted:

The most incredulous part of that is that you took like, two damage. We once had entire care full of people take 30% HP loss going through a chain link fence. :argh:

30%? I was playing with my buddy and he said he could fit through a broken fence with a car. It clipped the entire car, burst into flames, and exploded in about 2s flat after trying to get through.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Luckily all the guys I play with run beastly rigs.

You basically just need to put the game on a SSD and have 16+ GB of ram. I only have 8 cause my CPU fan is too big to put more in and I'm lazy and don't want to remove it and re-seat the fan. I live with the kinda lag 8 GB gives me but a SSD made an absolute 100% performance boost. Went from loading some spots after a minute or two to always having full quality buildings, with some minor lag at times.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I got a second place finish in duos with my buddy yesterday after I avenged him (he acted as bait for another group cause he had no gun). Shot the guy who shot my buddy but didn't kill him fast enough to save him, and ran out of ammo. So I start beating the guy with the gun to death while his unarmed passenger tries to run me down with a UAZ. Ended up in a fist fight which I won with a flying punch headshot.

It felt so glorious, and then ended up getting second at the end cause I was by myself and the other team had me 'surrounded'. I think I got video, I'll check after work tonight

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

tehinternet posted:

For sure. I'm just saying what a pleasant surprise this game is in terms of quality right off the bat especially when compared to years long development slogs like DayZ.

Arma is a force of nature. It's hard to get it to do what you want it to.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

This was an intense start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haY5gEMobn0

This was just after I chased the other guy who landed with me away after I grabbed a pistol and proceeded to miss 90% of the shots on him. I think he was the third guy in the video. Also not sure why shadowplay decided to record my mic

Ended up getting 6th with 8 kills

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

How the hell do you play with music in the background? I have to sit in dead silence. Because it is so tense listening out for footsteps, shots, distance vehicles, etc.

Played CS for years with music on, you just get use to it

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Before I forget, is there a fix to that stupid unreal 4 bug where the mouse is offset by an inch in game? I can barely exit the game normally cause I can't click the x. And changing weapon addons is very annoying as well. This happens in most unreal 4 games I play and it's always annoying

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

This was me when I started until I learned to take a breath in a shootout and aim. Single shot is way more useful in everything but a close in fight.

Nothing like mag dumping a dude with an uzi early game though

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Only engage if you know you can win and that there probably isn't someone who can immediately see you, other wise it's better to stalk or ignore

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Has anyone else been having really lovely luck with shots registering? It seems like I hit people 5-6 times with blood splatter and everything and they don't die and I get blasted with 1-2 shots and I'm down with level 2 everything an even a ballistic mask ( I dunno if that even does anything but I had it on!). I even got it on shadowplay and it looked like complete BS.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

busb posted:

yeah, switching then reloading fixes it but it's annoying.
When i did it last night i found a hilarious bug, i was mid-reloading a revolver and stowed it away, and for the rest of the game you could hear the reloading sound of bullets pinging on the ground wherever i walked.

I best someone to death with a frying pan after he missed 5/7 shots with the revolver then proceeded to try and reload for 5m with nothing while I beat him. The funniest part was he was beside a 1911 with ammo and i dunno why he didn't use that instead.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

It's pretty annoying/fun (depending on your loot and if you find a vehicle) when you drop north and the circle is centred over the military base or vice versa. It's all part of the game, nothing is ever the exact same but you get a feel for how things go.

The only constantly annoying thing is people who go for kills over trying to win. I've been killed a bunch by people who could make it to the circle and live and everything but decide to shoot me instead just cause of kdr or whatever.

(gently caress how do I keep ending up at the first post on a new page so often)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

The Golden Man posted:

if anybody reading this is still wondering if this game's any good I just jumped in, landed next to a garage but a guy snagged the car, looted 8 buildings and didn't find a gun, hauled balls across a field into an unlooted house in the circle just as it was closing in, heard footsteps and hid in a bathroom, then one-shotted a dude by cranking him in the head with a frying pan when he opened the door

You should stream this game Wayne.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I found out last night that the M16 in burst mode is a murder machine up close.

My buddy and I were in a city far from where the plane went and looting ~100-150m apart and he suddenly hears someone. I hear gun shots and my buddy goes down. I peek outside my building and the guy who shot my partner's partner is running close by so I dome him right quick and then the other guy comes around the corner and I accidentally switched to burst mode and clicked like I would with single and basically mag dumped the dude in a second.

It barely even rises when you do that (it will, but if you're use it recoil it's really not bad). Too bad you can't put foregrips on it or I would never use another AR.

Edit: also they need to make grenades more 'bouncy'. I can't even bounce a nade around a corner, it just hits the corner and basically falls flat. Almost died (and my buddy did :cry:) cause I couldn't get a nade around the corner.

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 26, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

fadam posted:

Any reason to not spend all my good boy points on chests asap?

Cost resets every week, I only buy two a week cause then the costs get too much.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

funny Star Wars parody posted:

We drop deer with 12g buckshot from 300' all the time so ya

I one shot a dude ~50m away from me with the pump shotgun, but I also had a choke

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Badfinger posted:

I dunno, I'm a rube who bought a decent pair of headphones and a standalone mic with a boom for streaming.

^^^ I do have a HyperX Cloud headset. They're super comfy, but I need open headphones to placate the need to hear the rest of the house.

I got a snowball mic and it works great. I've been having a lot of problems with discord recently though. It will just stop transmitting for no reason. Extremely annoying, especially when steam friends is down and I can't tell.my partner my mic isn't working except to act like a jackass until he asks if I can speak and then I shake no.

It says my mic is present, my bind works fine, but it just won't work unless I quit and rejoin.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Discord servers get hit really fuckin hard from 7p-12a every day and they're still working on upgrading their servers last i heard

It's not PUBG messing with discord as much as it is all the people suddenly using discord after never using it on the reg

I hear my buddy just fine, it's something to do with the program itself I think. I don't hear the little sound when I hit my speak bind, leaving the mic open doesn't work either, only a restart of discord fixes it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Got the game and played a round seems fun. Looking forward to playing with goons later tonight.

Do I still want to turn foilage down to low?

I think foliage has been normalized across quality now

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

AnElegantPeacock posted:

And they should really make seasonal maps. The spring map should be fyrefest.

lol that would actually be pretty funny

I like muting voice chat during the start and enabling it in game cause I've had some funny moments when I'm chasing dudes with crowbars and stuff early game. And I sometimes apologize to people I kill when its BS or they just have bad luck but thats the canadian coming out

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJOM2lxjdk

I'm shooting with an S12k cause my other gun was an SKS with a 4x. Also that second shot was terrible cause my buddy turned the car, I swear...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Trump's America

• Locked thread