Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I hopped in together with a friend on a whim and I'm really positively surprised. You basically get the same general dynamic of mostly long-range firefights and maneuvering from DayZ or Arma, but with not nearly as much jank. The movement and shooting is really quite tight and responsive, even when my already rather old rig has trouble with the performance. I'm not entirely sold on third person, since it makes shootouts in and around buildings kind of fucky, but it's not much of a drawback.

Anyways, if you manage to find a silencer for a long gun (i.e. assault or sniper rifle) then grab that poo poo and never let it go even if you don't have a corresponding weapon yet. They're ridiculously useful, as most firefights happen at range and sound is usually the primary way of localising where you're getting shot at from. A friend of mine managed to snag a silenced SKS with a 4x scope, and he could just sit in cover all day long popping dudes in the head who had no idea where to even look for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bardeh posted:

For anyone looking for a performance boost, try these launch options in Steam if you haven't already -

-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -malloc=system -sm4

Oh yeah, this was a huge deal for me. Before that, I'd occasionally run into huge performance drops, and on more than one occasion I'd ended up in an area with none of the buildings loaded in, preventing me from looting anything. Ever since adding that command it's been smooth sailing for me.

Also, [ASK] me about finding my 12th pistol in a row while I still don't have a long gun. :suicide:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Just for the record, most of what I say I'm applying to Solo because that's what I play. I'd imagine having a dedicated long range guy in Squad is probably far more useful.

Yeah, I usually play together with a guy on Duo, and most of our most successful runs had one of us with an SKS or Kar98k tuned for longish range, while the other had an assault rifle to quickly spray people down at shortish to medium range. It's a really potent combination, once a guy has been winged by a sniper shot (ideally to the head), you only need one or two hits with an assault rifle to finish him off. Usually we both also pack a shotgun or SMG for really short-range work in our secondary slots.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is there any site or wiki somewhere with the particular, detailed stats of the weapons? I'm kinda wondering how for example the M16, M416, and SCAR-L stack up against each other, aside from the obvious things like fire modes and attachments.

VVVVV I was hoping for something a bit more detailed than that, since the bars for those three weapons in particular are borderline identical. VVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 28, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

They seem to, because I've solo queued for Squad and got put with 3 guys in Teamspeak together. I think the only groupings is solo, two and four.

I'm not entirely sure about that, I've had two separate occasions where I played with two friends and we just got matched as a 3-people squad straightaway. Though of course it could just be that the matchmaker didn't find a fourth guy for us in time and just went "gently caress it" :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

No I'm by the bush. That one. Over there.

No, the one to the left.

Wait no, my left.

Seriously, I can't get the people I play with to just use cardinal directions, so this happens every drat game. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Here's a fun bug I just got to discover in the most unfortunate circumstances. I was in an early game firefight with pistols and when I got hit, the 360 controller I had left plugged in started vibrating like crazy. It was pretty distracting, so the moment there was a break I leaned over and janked out the plug on the controller.

Except then a giant screen popped up telling me that my controller had been disconnected, and to reconnect it and press X to continue. There was no way to get around this by keyboard only, and so while I scrambled to plug the drat thing back in, my opponent just walked up and shot me in the dick a lot. :suicide:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone know what the yellow segments mean above your health? Are they armour?

Those signify the remaining charge of whatever heal-over-time items (e.g. energy drinks, painkillers) you've recently used. The more segments are filled, the faster you'll regenerate health. If all of them are full, you'll also get a small movement speed boost.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Got paired up with a guy who seemed like he knew what he was talking about and told me a tactic, tried that tactic my first solo game and won it.

Get a decent gun, vest and a helmet and back pack, stay on the very edge of the white circle in a suitable building and pick people off as they flee the blue line inwards, move in and repeat as the blue line gets to you.

Had some amazing fights, including lots of multiple shooter fights as the safe area got smaller and smaller, its hilarious to see a car careening past fleeing the blue line only to get shot by everyone waiting in the safe area.

That can work, but is also fairly risky in its own way. Essentially, by staying at the edge of the white circle, the problem is that you are forced to move potentially a fairly long distance with each constriction. And in the last three or four constrictions, the area is so small and often open that having to move at all can quickly be a death sentence, particularly if you have to contend with possible enemies both to the front and rear.
That's how I lost my latest game: I had really neat equipment with level 3 armour, an AWM, and a tricked-out SCAR. It was down to just me and another dude in a forested area near opposite edges of the current circle. Circle shrunk towards his side, he was still in it but I far outside, and that was more or less it. I had no more smoke grenades left and my opponent wouldn't peek because he knew I had a sniper. So all that was left for me was to make a break for it and hope to kill him with a snap headshot in the open before he could kill me, which didn't pan out. :saddowns:

Those times we've managed to win so far were basically achieved by getting close to the centre of the circle early on, and then moving as early and little as possible towards each new centre in time. People will still be mulching each other in the outskirts, while you've got the luxury of just having to pick off what's left. That approach is more reliant on having good all-around cover, though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I feel like ttk is so quick that you don't even get a chance usually to find where you're being shot from before you die

That tends to change when you get somewhat better armour and move more cautiously. Basically the important part is to move so that a) nobody can get inside ~50 meters of you without you noticing and b) there's a solid piece of cover within a few second's worth of sprinting. If you can ensure that (which isn't always possible, of course) and have T2 armour, you should usually have the time to get into cover unless you're getting lit up by several people at once or beaned in the head by a sniper.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also note that if your connection's laggy for whatever reason, it'll still count each individual click on the "buy crate" button for the purposes of increasing the price, but without actually making the purchase. Ask me about slamming it while it wasn't responding and now having my price set at 7k with only a single crate to show for it :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

afkmacro posted:

Hadn't seen it posted so ...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=891838252

Tells you how to have a higher FOV in 3rd person. It has done two things for me:

1. made my FPS smooth as gently caress (1070 at 1440p on all low practically)
2. made me much better at killing dudes.

Highly recommend this. You will not get banned, I'm told by the interwebs the devs said on a stream that it's okay.

Just tried this, and it gave me a huge boost to FPS as well. Before, I'd be at about 40-50 FPS most of the time, slipping below 30 in busy areas. With this, it's 60 FPS almost all the time, and even in the busier places it doesn't drop below 40. I'm ambivalent about the actual FoV change since the lack of zoom does hurt at times, but it's worth it for the performance increase alone.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tigern posted:

Are there any cheaters in this game yet? I feel like a few of the way's I've been killed have been a bit unreasonable.

Some hacks do exist, yeah, mostly stuff like aimbots and vision/wallhacks. But beware of confirmation bias, with how long-ranged and indirect the game is it's easy to overattribute stuff to hacks when it could just be bad luck or a separate dude you haven't seen.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

I'm fine with it I just wish the last closes happened a little slower and they weren't in some poo poo field with zero cover 99 times out of 100.

One time the circle ended on the hilly terrain with all the ruins southwest of Rozhok. That was probably the best one I've ever seen, there was so much cover and obstruction around that it was a wild running firefight down to the very last second. I really do with there was a bit more weighting so that there'll be at least some kind of environmental feature around every time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Shotties in general seem to be pretty loving good, which is nice considering how they usually roll in these types of games.

Yeah, they can hit dudes out to pretty long ranges, particularly with a choke. Honestly I often find myself foregoing the Saiga if I already have the pump-action with a choke on it. You can two-shot dudes out to like 50 meters with that one.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 10, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now what happens when you end up outside the barrier?

You suffer constant damage over time. At first it's rather mild and can be counteracted by snarfing a few boost items, but with each contraction the damage gets more severe, until it will kill you in a few seconds towards the end.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

succ posted:

Thanks. I swear I've been shot through those shacks before.

Remember there are slim windows running around them near the roof, and they're often in the vicinity of hills. Occasionally the angles line up just right that you can shoot people huddling inside.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Okay so just so I have the sound dynamics right in my head:

If I hear a distant clap, and I hear it in both ears, does that mean the shot is travelling parallel to my current direction and the shot originated perpendicular to me? So I should be turning 90 degrees in either direction to pinpoint where it came from?

I have a bum left ear that makes positional audio harder than it should be, and whenever I hear a shot I always want to face where it centers up in both my ears, it feels disorienting otherwise.

There are basically three sound effects related to gunfire:

-The actual gunshot, which originates directly from the shooter's position. This is probably the distant clap you're referring to. You can hear this out to a pretty long distance, unless the shooter uses a suppressor. It's crisper when you've got a direct line of sight to the shooter, and more reverb-y if there's something in the way, and has a certain delay before it reaches you depending on distance. Just face this one head-on.

-A high-pitched whirring sound when a bullet passes by you fairly closely. This one originates at a point perpendicular to the bullet's path relative to you. So like you described, the shooter is about 90° in either direction from the way this sound is coming from.

-A loud cracking sound when a bullet passes very close to you. This one also does the perpendicular thing like above. The plan is that this will only be caused by high-velocity rifle rounds, but I don't think that's implemented yet.

Most of the time you can just use the actual gunshot report to triangulate the shooter's position, and disregard the sounds from the bullets' passing. It's really only relevant if somebody's shooting at you with a suppressed weapon.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

I killed a guy and found a trench coat called Player Unknowns Trench Coat or something. Does this drop from crates or did I kill a hacker or the developer or what

That's from preordering, IIRC.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jesus, I dunno if it was the patch or something, but the performance issues have jumped into overdrive for me. Five games in a row, each time the buildings around my landing zone did their N64 impression and were uninteractable. Didn't matter whether I jumped into a busy zone or just a tiny group of houses in bumfuck nowhere. And while the moment-to-moment framerate is stable, every so often there'll be half- to full-second freezes. And these are particularly likely to happen anytime I take damage, which generally translates into an instant death sentence.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Xachariah posted:

Apparently they plan to add vaulting/climbing in future.

You can see them doing the mocap for the climbing at the end of this twitter update about takedowns:

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/840912787496947713

The takedowns look cool and everything, but I can't think of a more superfluous addition to this style of game. So far I've managed to get within touching distance of an enemy exactly one time, and that was mostly just because I wanted to see just how oblivious the guy could be (the answer was very).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I'm mostly looking forward to them fixing the FPS drops. Losing games because the game pretty much freezes for a second when I'm taking damage gets really tiring after a while.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I really really like the m416 with a suppressor/compensator and vertical foregrip with a 4x. Great for surprise closeups on auto and great for long range sniping

I have never had it and the m16 at the same time to compare though

Yeah, I can't quite decide yet whether I prefer a modded-out M416 or a regular M16. Unmodded the M16 probably wins out, but a foregrip and a stock seem to make a big difference to the M416.

The only thing I do know for sure is that I hate the SCAR and avoid it whenever I can. :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fyallm posted:

Everytime I have a shotgun I try and kill someone and hit them 3 times and by then they end up killing me... But if someone else has a shotgun I get 1 tapped. I loving hate this game.

Get yourself a choke. They're ubiquitous and hugely tighten up your spread, extending your effective range and one-shot potential signficantly. With that, I was able to one-shot a guy in level 3 armour from about fifteen meters away after sneaking up on him. He learned an important lesson there: While suppressors make your gun quiet, they do not make it completely inaudible. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I still can't see what niche the crossbow is supposed to occupy. Unless theyve made it laser accurate at long range, id rather have any other weapon including pistols.

The same niche as the pistols: "Welp I guess it's better than having to melee."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I wonder how upset people will be about fields being fields instead of traps for people who run the game with high settings.

Personally I'm more than happy to not wonder whether the cover I'm hiding behind is actually working to hide me

Yeah, I just had a game end on the fields south of Yasnaya Polyana, and it was decidedly less of a barren killzone. Going prone in the grass next to one of the hay bales actually gave me a pretty decent degree of concealment. I still got shot in the back eventually, but only because I was sure that with five enemies left and four of them definitely somewhere in front of me, there would be no way anybody could come up from behind. :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

While the average framerate improved somewhat, it feels like framedrops/lag spikes actually have become more common for me since the patch. Just lost a really promising game due to it, too. I was going through some house, heard footsteps coming towards it, and settled in with my tommy gun pointed right at the door. Door opens, oblivious enemy comes in, I slam the trigger, and... the game freezes for at least full second. When it finally caught up again I'd generously sprayed shots into the wall while the enemy had all the time in the world to click me to death with their M16. :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"I don't have a single weapon within a mile of me but if we are talking pants and boots then MAN, I am fully loaded"

You should be able to wear several layers of shirts and pants on top of each other to serve as armour.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just died in the blue zone because I waited just half a second too long to use my first aid kit. I had a silenced SKS and a M16, too. :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Say, has there been any new word on the issue of the buildings not properly loading in? It's like each time I try a game, it flips a coin. About half the time I'm lucky and everything works just fine, with an alright performance in the ~50 FPS range. But the other half of the time all of buildings and structures seem to get stuck halfway through loading in, remaining in the long-distance low-LoD state where I can't enter or interact with them (and if I try to cross a bridge I fall right on through). If I stay in the game it starts chugging progressively harder in a way that's reminiscent of a memory leak, and in the end it usually crashes outright, sometimes even taking my entire system with it.

Now, my system is getting quite old (I'm running the game off of a HDD and with only 8GB RAM), but the way how it's so all-or-nothing leads me to think it's not (at least not just) a matter of simple hardware capacity. When it does work, it works just fine throughout the entire round, and when it doesn't the whole thing shits itself in a matter of minutes. So far I couldn't find any particular triggers for it, either. Sometimes I can jump out right over a major city with loads of buildings and it works fine, and at other times I go for the flat empty space around Gatka and nothing loads in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

quote:

Fixed a bug causing incorrect lighting on the 2x scope

This one is pretty nice as well. I ran into that a few rounds ago, during one firefight the light came in from just the right angle that the glare completely obscured the actual reticle.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The incredibly sparse map is really kind of starting to get to me. I ended up with a really nice bit of equipment, made my way to the approximate centre of the circle, and of course it turned out that the entire inner third was basically a barren wasteland with only some sparse trees. So I had the choice between either hiding inside the only hunting shack within 200 meters in an excellent example for "how not to be seen", or huddle behind a random rock and hope to gently caress I'd spot whoever came from my exposed side before they could draw a bead on me. I didn't :saddowns:

If it was just a matter of making a bad call and getting poo poo on for it, that would be one thing. But pretty often I seem to end up in situations where there is no good call based on what I know at the time. I could have opted to stay near the circle edge and close in from the outside at the last second, but that would have been just as much of a crapshoot that could have seen me dead if even one guy happens to cover in my general direction.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo, I think I'm kind of coming around on the crossbow, at least for solo. Last match, I landed in a group of four large houses but only found a crossbow and a pistol, and all the other promising areas nearby had already been looted by other players. So all I could do was ready my medieval stick-thrower and move on towards the circle, hoping that I might get lucky. Well, three headshots later, I'd managed to leverage that crossbow into a silenced M16 with an 8x, a Saiga with extended mags, and all the meds I could ever want.

Early on, people tend to be both a little careless unless they have been spooked by something particular, and it's fairly easy to anticipate where they'll be coming from. If you've got the opportunity to sneak up on them, it's incredibly useful to be able to take them out with a single perfectly quiet shot that doesn't give them the opportunity to fight back. The latter two of my victims just ran past me not even 50 meters from where I killed the one before. They simply had no particular reason to even suspect somebody was even there in the first place.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honestly, I don't think I would mind even if many of the guns turn out to be somewhat redundant. I just really like the general feel of just having to make do with whatever random thing you can get your hands on and having to adjust your playstyle accordingly. That's more interesting than knowing you can get an M16 if you really want one in almost any round. Besides, it adds to the general flavour if you see guys running around with a wide variety of old-rear end surplus guns instead of having most everybody carrying the current flavour of the month.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

WirelessPillow posted:

Only reason I didn't have my shotgun out at the time was due to having spotted targets outside coming in, I was trying to get into position to shoot them. Turns out there were 2 groups attacking at once (though we thought it was 3).
I was the only survivor after the fight and running away from blue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pr5QGRlXQE

"Throwing stun" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

They add inventory space (the coats). Masks do nothing, as far as I know.

Mr Hootington posted:

The masks also add a tiny bit of inventory space.

Clothing doesn't do anything for your inventory space. The listed capacity is their own weight if you were to carry them in your inventory instead of wearing them. The only items that increase your inventory space are backpacks, armour-vests, and the utility holster you start out with: https://youtu.be/I7RYd7W5Ocg?t=2m30s

• Locked thread