Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Just got this. Pretty fun. Did better my first round that I'd have expected, placed top 8. Jump-punched a dude to death in the opening seconds and then used the M16 he found in the first building to kill 3 other people throughout the round. Only died because I drag rear end for too long in the electric gas and couldn't keep healing myself fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I keep everything turned up to max except motion blur and it runs fine for me. Could certainly look better, though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

cosmicjim posted:

Still struggling. I want to point at things and they die when I pull the trigger. It still hasn't clicked with me. Ive traditionally played non-realistic fps's like quake. Most recently I'm a masters level (top 5%) player in Overwatch, but I'm just god awful at killing people in this game unless it's inside a house.

Pretend you're Hanzo except your arrows are really fast.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
They need to add in the tracksuits like what's in the loading screen.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Positioning well, taking good shots AND hitting them are a lot more important than twitch reflexes.

Pretty much this.

Any equipment can work if you're good and or lucky. Me and my buddies almost won the other night in squads a few times. During one of those it came down to our last man with just a suppressed Uzi and an S1896 without a choke. He killed 6 people in the final circles and downed two of the final team before they got him. 3 kills Uzi from a bush until he ran out of ammo, 3 kills with the shotgun, and then the final downs were with the shotgun and a 1911 from across the circle.

He really needs to pick up more grenades though, he could have hosed those last guys up with a single frag.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
No 1st person squads?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Can 75% of the circles stop spawning on military island thanks.

I've heard that circles favor where the most players are but that could just be some kinda rumor.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Me and my buddies whenever we play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9LlEIDJL08

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

what possesses some people, while in the MIDDLE OF A FIREFIGHT, where we are literally shooting and being shot at, to say "i found a flash hider in here, also some bandages"

Found a vest.

What level?

Level 1.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

GaussianCopula posted:

Because 3rd person can be abused to camp from safe spots, which some people don't like. If it's 1st person you will have to expose yourself to get information.

I am absolutely one of those dicks who will sit behind a corner waiting in third person and pop out to kill guys who come up to it and even I'm looking forward to first person.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
lol at that whole thing

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Just the other day I beat down two dudes in fist when none of us found a gun, poo poo's dead easy just do ADAD like you're playing Planetside and they can barely hit you. Just takes forever to drop them because it's poo poo damage if you can't headshot with the superman.

When I was done I voice chatted at them to see ya and left them there in the field bleeding instead of finishing them.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Zeroing basically makes up the difference between where you are and where the target is. In the game the difference between 100 and 200 meters is basically nil, though. But if you slap it to 600m zeroing and fire at someone 600m away, the bullets should land as if you were 100m away from them. Think of how it works like firing an artillery shell, how you always see a Howitzer at an angle upwards to hit far out, the more your zero is the more you're doing the same thing. You arc the bullet up to reach further, like so.

IRL, most guns are designed to fire like this following image, where the sights are not aligned to the barrel but are on an angle and the bullet will intersect at two different ranges, which means you're always firing with some small version of that Howitzer angle I mention above. You zero for one range and it also zeros for a second range further out, with the bullet being below the point of aim before the first range and after the second, and in the middle the bullet is flying over exact point of aim.

With the ballistic model as it is, you generally shouldn't need to aim below your target to hit them, but it's good to keep in mind that bullets don't actual travel flat in a realistic model so if they change the physics later on you may need to aim slightly below exactly where you want the bullet to land. As things are right now though you're basically good probably out to 300 meters with a 100 meter zeroing on everything bigger than a UMP or VSS. UMP's rounds drop noticeably out to like 150-200m and VSS of course has range chevrons for 100, 200, and 300m and it needs them with the severe drop it gets.

It's also worth noting that the VSS sight, the 4x, and the 8x all have range-finding marks (I've never had a 15x so IDK if it does or not), although I think the scale in the game is wrong so it may not work as it should. With the 4x and 8x the idea is the length of the lines = shoulder length on a standing man-sized target within a certain range which is why they degrade as you go down the sight, and with the VSS that swoopy line is marked from 100 to 400 meters and you'd line up a person's feet on the bottom line and their head with the top line.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 22, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It's silent as gently caress and uses common ammo so it's basically the perfect weapon for a bush wookiee, which is why I like it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It's Russia, add Mosins. Basically the Kar but a bigger more obvious muzzle flash and after 200 meters the bullet is too inaccurate to hit half the time.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Add .22 but make all the rounds Super Colibri which is .22 with just the primer and no powder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZf0PkeV_Ik&t=38s

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Me and my buddies frequently get Asians filling the fourth man slot and we exclusively play on NA so the street goes both ways.

Our best ambush ever was headed up by someone that I think was from Taiwan.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Calling someone Gaylord for playing the game is an extremely goon thing to say

Bushes only, everything else is inferior.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Crossbow dude rules and lol at angerfriend.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
DBNO lets you become that rear end in a top hat sniper who uses shot buddies as bait, and if you aren't using it for that then lol what are you even doing in this game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

TheFonz posted:

How is the SVD distinct enough from the SKS to warrant inclusion.

When we have 20 of each type of weapon sure, but at this point there are at least 20 rifles I would prefer as they would be more distinct than the SVD in the current Meta.

Also, gimme the American 180.

IRL or in the game itself? 'Cause IRL the SKS is just a semi-auto AK with a small magazine, calling it a DMR is a video game thing, it's just a self-loading rifle not too far removed from the US's Garand.

The SVD is essentially a semi-auto Mosin with a larger magazine.

Left is what SVD and Mosin use, right is what SKS and AK use.

The niche for the SVD would be semi-auto Kar98.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

VulgarandStupid posted:

We asked PU if it would be Beep Beep or Honk Honk and he said Beep. This is incredible breaking news!

Is it going to be a dumb Arma-style beep that only lasts a second or will we be able to lay on the horn for hours/beep out kickin' rad tunes? This is the real important question.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xB3pV90Bk

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
IDK why they're bothering with the keycrate system, Overwatch system is superior since you get to hook people to grinding for more boxes or they can pay $40 for a bunch of boxes that have 2 rare items between them.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

DrNutt posted:

It's a news item on the game page, but if you collected your ugly rear end Twitch Prime loot last month it's selling for dumb (like early days of trading card market) prices on the Steam Marketplace.

If you didn't open it up you can get like 20 bucks, but I just made like seven dollars for selling the individual pieces.

e:poo poo the twitch prime crate is up to over 30 bucks now

Selling that Prime garbage day one funded buying all the non PU clothing items and I still had $10 left afterwards. Just wish I hadn't opened it at all to get the like $50 the boxes were going for during the first few hours.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Much like with the SKS they picked the ugliest and dumbest possible setup for an M14. When they finally add Mosins they'll be in Archangel stocks probably.

BTW it uses 10 and 20 round mags so it'll be like going full-auto with the VSS, run out immediately and reload forever.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fishbus posted:

I wonder how the game will cope with having 30 weapons later in development where 90% have overlap. It'd be interesting if at the start of a match a random pool of 10 is drawn to spawn around the map, so every game has a different selection of weaponry.

I'm all for more variety where there's a bunch of roughly equivalent guns that exist basically just so everyone has a different visual model and maybe different sounds, but I don't see why that kind of thing would have to come at a one-a-month trickle.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

cosmicjim posted:

How would you make the VSS better without making it too powerful? More damage? Less Drop off? Adjustable or replaceable scopes? Just make it more available? Other?

Have it ignore armor, which is basically the IRL use for the 9x39 round.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

lol what a massive dumb baby, doesn't even realize he was shot by someone else because he's not invisible.

The fact that he Zapruders the footage for like 20 minutes is just icing on the cake.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Should there be a fourth bullet type

Weapon performance is tied to gun not bullet.

Alternatively, make Nagant revolver and AKM do as much damage as Kar98.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Dongicus posted:

a desert? the game needs less open fields not more imo

What we need is a jungle map. Let us play 100-man Predator.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Zomborgon posted:

Would that help if my cursor is clicking with an offset an inch to the left, or would I be looking for something else?

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Try fullscreen and not windowed fullscreen?

It happens if your taskbar is anywhere other than the bottom of the screen. Fullscreen won't fix it because that's where it happens to begin with, and windowed fullscreen will have the taskbar on top of the game and also it'll be possible to click out of the game if you touch the taskbar. I keep mine at the top of the screen so all my UI poo poo is misaligned vertically.

The fix is for the devs to code their poo poo better.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Taffer posted:

I mean, mine looks like this (taskbar is on second monitor) and I don't have issues

Try it on the same monitor.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'd love to see a game mode that's true Battle Royale style, where you're just assigned a random weapon and you have to figure it the gently caress out. If you spawn with a frying pan, you better pray you can chase the guy with an SKS down and bash his head in before the circle starts moving.

This and grid-based off-limits rather than circlegas are what I want most.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If they are working on an urban map like has been said that should lead to some wild final circles

Maps I'd like to see include dense jungle where there aren't many long-range sightlines and an actual city with like concrete everywhere and poo poo.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Do ballistic masks do anything or are they just decorative? I assume decorative.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yo I need that purple blazer and those purple pants so I can be a pimp.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
A zeroing range of 100m kind of is an oddball duck that exists primarily in older weapons and video games. Most modern rifles I've handled start at like 200 or 300 and most pistol-caliber weapons at 50. M16-style sights start at a baseline 300 yard (A yard is basically a meter so don't worry too much about the terminology) zero which is also good for 25 yards, next notch up is 50/200, then 400, 500, and 600 when you crank the elevator screw all the way around. That said, the difference between zeroing for 25/300 and 50/200 is about an inch vertically one way or the other at the first zero mark.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you aren't chasing dudes down the instant you land, often with just your fists, while they run away screaming for help on open comms... the gently caress are you even playing for??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I'd rather watch guys who lose constantly but laugh and have fun than watch ultra-tryhards basically do to the game what Airsofters did to paintball.

• Locked thread