Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I had my doubts about this but pulled the trigger anyway. I haven't been disappointed. Performance is significantly more adequate than I expected given some of the whining I'd heard.

quote:

Also I'm not a huge fan of the map design. There's not a lot of soft cover, besides random distributed bushes, but nothing that would give you enough cover pull off a flank.

This may be my biggest source of annoyance, though. Nothing more annoying than dashing across open fields (as you literally often have no other choice) and getting sniped. Or seeing someone as they see you and then both of you hiding behind your respective cover indefinitely because whoever moves first is probably going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

These kinds of mil-survival games tend to fall apart when you get within ten feet of another enemy, and god help you if you try to melee

I recommend shotguns. They absolutely destroy people in close-range encounters.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Killing people will affect your overall ranking but Top-10's, to me, seem like a more reliable way of increasing the overall score. My K/D is rear end (something like 0.35) and I'm still around ~5,000th place in Solo.

Surviving longer definitely counts for more. I just had my second win and killed seven players to get there. I got less than 200 points for those kills and something like 800+ points for winning.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I agree, but I mean it more in the sense that there isn't a reason to flesh out a melee system with multiple items if you are going to have hit detection as bad as it is.

Oh. Yeah. I mean, I've boxed out dudes a few times in the early-game, so it's at least semi-functional. But it's not like you'd ever engage in melee after that point.

E: I take it back. Just had a boxing match with some other guy and he was warping around all over and I could land a hit. Fantastic.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 27, 2017

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Sniping with an M16 definitely seems a lot better than giving up a slot for a "real" sniper. ACOG is sufficient for almost everything. If they're too far away for 4X, it's maybe not worth shooting.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

IMO you shouldn't be able to hang out and shoot mans from outside the force field.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Paradigmata posted:

Because having your games name in ALLCAPS and adding your own name in ALLCAPS in front of it is retarded. And if you are a new player that never heard of this person(which is a stupid nick in the first place for indicating to be a username), the game title simple is "Player unknown battlegrounds."

//Worst game name in my steam library by a mile.

Nice meltdown.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Should not have gotten away with this kill.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

4. Who is this by the tree is that you?

No I'm by the bush. That one. Over there.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Perestroika posted:

No, the one to the left.

Wait no, my left.

SHOTS! I'M HIT! GET MY STUFF!

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

It should close fast and punish you for being outside it, apparently in H1Z1 you can just pop bandages and stay in it indefinitely.

You probably can't survive indefinitely, but it's more forgiving than it should be in the final stages. I've started lingering on the edge/just outside to get in behind people because I'm tired of having it happen to me. Pop a boost and you're pretty much good to go.

Doesn't feel at all in the spirit of the game.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

And now he just made the circle closing speed even slower, because of big streamers complaining that they die to it too often.

Speed isn't the issue. It's that you can make a calculated decision to travel through the "unplayable area" to avoid or attack others.

I've considered this could be an additional strategic layer, but I personally don't find that idea especially compelling.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

lategame running outside the circle will take 1/5 your hp every second or so.

How late are we talking?

I may be insane/massively mis-remembering my experiences. Will have to pay more attention tonight.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

afkmacro posted:

Scopes don't seem to work for me. My guy just zooms a little maybe 1.1 even with a x8 scope. What gives?

Click the mouse, don't hold.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone know what the yellow segments mean above your health? Are they armour?

It's called "boost." Drink Red Bull and put pills in your butt to regenerate health over time and, at higher boost levels, run faster.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

:smug:

I'm not convinced ratings actually have any meaningful significance.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

This game is only the good parts of dayz. If you are one of the people who thought "I like dayz but..." this game probably fixes whatever your gripe is with it. It's by no means perfect but the shorter sessions really drill down to what I loved about the original mod with out all the exhausting bullshit that went along with it.

Pretty much this. If you liked DayZ for intense and high-stakes shootouts, then this is for you.

Depending on the modding options, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to recreate a DayZ-esque mode.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I thought GoonZ only enjoyed looting Stary Sobor for hours on end, then getting wiped because they never looked around.

Well, you can do that too, so I guess everybody wins.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

PU wants to make a finished product and that's easier to do with a smaller scope.

This is a big deal IMO. There's no evidence of over-promising and the core is reasonably stable. Assuming nothing catastrophic happens, this should be a strong example of a well-executed early access program.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Paradigmata posted:

Almost there.

:eyepop:

Meanwhile, I got stuck behind a door and fell through the world, then got disconnected from the host. Both of those things count as losses, if you were curious.

Bardeh posted:

That sounds like a very good strat for purely climbing the leaderboard, but it doesn't really sound like much fun.

To some extent, "optimal" strategies all end up being kind of boring for this reason.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

getting sniped from a poltergeist a mile away, to me anyway, is just another RNG result.

It's not, though, and I think it's not good to think about it in that way. You should be able to understand what events ultimately led to you getting killed.

Sometimes, there's nothing you can do. Circle closes such that you have to cross a bunch of open ground, you get shot.

In other cases, dying means that you did, in fact, do something wrong. You can't always know where other people will be, so you have to play as though there's always someone stalking you. Hand-waving deaths out in the woods as RNG doesn't help you die less often.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yeah but the game will still be like that on the first person only mode servers that they said they would make. It will just be in first person instead of third person. Getting to cover before the other team means you will usually win.

First person forces you to expose yourself to see stuff. Third person does not. This means going from functionally invulnerable while scouting from cover to at-risk.

The person running into the circle is at a disadvantage because they have no cover. However, if you have to poke your head out to see that guy moving, he has a chance to ID you and take action.

There's no compelling reason, IMO, as to why the advantaged party should have the third-person advantage as well. However, you'd be stupid to not leverage it, so most people will continue to play third-person.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I think you'll find that DayZ has come a very long way since I first played it years ago. No other game even comes close in my opinion. Now with the big Enforce Script merge we should see a big backlog of poo poo finally make it in. I am super excited to see the new player controller in action as well, that is going to make such a difference in the jankiness of the current gameplay.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

DayZ is on track at five years. I've yet to see any convincing evidence that its strongest critics really understand how games are made or are willing to concede good faith in their interpretation of the development process.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I'm just quoting out of that exact thread :ssh:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Raged posted:

44 Top 10 and no wins on solo now. Just can seem to piece together the final few kills. I have no idea how people win with zero kills.

Dumb luck, mostly.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For those that have played both, how does this compare to Survival mode in The Division? I never played H1Z1 or DayZ or any of that but I love that mode in The Division, shallow as it was.

Nothing like it. You don't have any survival concerns beyond staying in the circle and not getting shot.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I really don't understand why anyone would want to afk for points.

Steam pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

jubjub64 posted:

Sacriel the streamer is currently talking about a new multiplayer survival game he is working on called Breaking Point. I never played H1Z1 or Day Z so I don't know what to think about it.
https://www.twitch.tv/sacriel
http://playbreakingpoint.com/

I think it may lean more towards the berry harvesting side of things though.

It almost certainly will. This was a mod for Arma III that basically aped DayZ, except with classes and what amounted to experience points. Pretty safe bet that it won't be anything we haven't seen before.

• Locked thread