Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My first game was a squad of 3's with 2 friends who immediately died, and they backseat played for me as I sat prone in a building until I was top 10 without firing a shot. I got real lucky and the play-zone continued to be centered on me.

Now, I am the guy that complains that people have it easy when the playzone centers on them the entire game. Game rules, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

VikingSkull posted:

Just for the record, most of what I say I'm applying to Solo because that's what I play. I'd imagine having a dedicated long range guy in Squad is probably far more useful.

It is, my 4man group has at least 1 dedicated sniper, possibly 2 if it calls for it.

The last game we played of the night, we got lucky and the airdrop landed close enough to us we only needed to wipe one other squad to get it and it contained an AWP, so our best shot took it and gave his kar to our second best shot. Me being a terrible sniper, had 2 ARs and our 4th was relegated to AR/shotty duty.

That AWP man, that loving gun is insane. Especially when you can cover the sniper and give him free reign to do whatever he wants while his 3 squaddies protect him.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The shotgun with a choke (especially​ the 2shot one) is basically a rail gun. If you can't find a rifle, use that.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. I popped a guy from actual real life shotgun range and had to double check I had a shotgun equipped.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Has anyone else had issues firing a gun from the passenger seat of a boat?
2 other people in the boat could shoot no problem, but I was unable to. Oh well, early access and all that.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

buglord posted:

that feel when you and another player are trying to find the gun first between a few small houses 😰

That feel when you are parachuting in and casually look around and see a solid 20 other people jumped at the same time to land on the jigsaw houses near the sunken city.

Good lord that was a shot of adrenaline

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ye bridges from the midgame on are a death sentence if you don't blitz through them driving as erratically as possible.

Driving in this game feels pretty good too, especially in boats.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

VikingSkull posted:

Even if everyone knows how to peek windows there's still buildings that have rooms with only one way in or out. I really, really think this is a game where there's no wrong strat or loadout, which is really cool to me for some reason. The only thing that absolutely, positively won't get you to the last 25 or so is a melee only build, everything else is on the table so far.

Melee just seems so buggy. I landed on a building with 3 people not in my squad and was lucky enough to pick up an Uzi real fast, and had 3 people punching me the entire time I reloaded the gun and mowed them all down. I think I took like 1/16th of my bar in the entire altercation from 3 people punching as fast as they possibly could.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

NickBlasta posted:

The best way to kill people with melee is superman punch, if you land a punch/melee swing while jumping it does like 10x damage. You can one shot people with the frying pan if you swing while jumping.

Oh, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Otherwise yeah I'm just going to completely avoid melee and find the nearest gun. I do like the emphasis this game places on guns, refreshing from other BR games I have played that had a either even melee/ranged split or had way more early game emphasis on melee.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

a glitch posted:

Is this worth buying for someone who hasn't played this kind of game before? Closest thing I've done would be loving around in Minecraft and ARK. The concept seems really cool but it would be a totally new kind of game for me.

Yeah, or at the very least play it for an hour and a half and refund it if the style of game just doesn't interest you.

It's a bit janky and you will probably get all of 3 kills in that hour and a half, but if you like it you'll know almost immediately.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Mandatory squads add a new way to play, too.

You don't have to worry about them potentially shooting you in the back. I mean they CAN shoot you in the back, but they probably won't.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

VikingSkull posted:

Hopefully they'll do a traditional style shooter grouping of 50 vs 50, I think that'd be chaos.

That could be really fun

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My buddies and I have adopted 2 strategies we alternate between and consistently get top 3 or 4 in squads.

Either drop immediately on the coast and nab a boat, drive to a place off the beaten path and outside of the plane's path so there should be no people there and loot it regardless of it's position relative to the play zone and then just race the shield to the zone loaded as hell and start popping people.

Alternatively, drop in on one of a few areas we know has an okay chance of having good stuff and just hunkering down, moving about 2 minutes before the shield and then hunkering down again on the edge of the shield popping people that wait till the last minute to move.

I think a lot of the higher end streamers do the first method.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Got my first win last night in squads, queued as 3 and landed in Pochinko(sp?) along with a grip of other players, we all got lucky and got shotties in our respective buildings and cleared the town house by house and luckily the playzone was centered on our town. Heard gunfire over a hill after the third time the playzone shrank, ran to it and killed 2 squads fighting eachother with our M4s we picked up in town. Almost all of them had SKS' so we nabbed those and threw on some 4x, running back to our hidy-holes one of us got taken out, so the 2 of us remaining just used our newfound SKS' to pop people running to the city to escape the shield.
Ending kills: squadmate: 7
Me: 5
Squadmate: 1

That was my story thank you for reading

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My buddies and I just call out based on the numbers attributed to the cardinal directions, seems to work alright. It all goes to poo poo when we start calling rights and lefts

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Good at that playzone speed change if they are making it slower(which I assume they are), it was getting real rough towards the end of the game constantly having to run for the playzone unable to return fire at the people already in it just laughing and popping off at you while you try to get to the white zone.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Harminoff posted:

Circle closing speed is fine, they just need to adjust the time between them so you can actually get in a few fights. Add an extra minute or two.

Yeah I meant moreso this than the actual speed of the shield. It should close fast and punish you for being outside it, apparently in H1Z1 you can just pop bandages and stay in it indefinitely.

We need more than 2 minutes between closes otherwise yeah people just won't fight.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Daric posted:

gently caress nothing more annoying than landing alone, with no one nearby, inside the circle, searching the first house you find and getting a SCAR with an 8x scope and an AK plus plenty of ammo, not seeing another soul and then the circle changes and you're outside and you have to move a little bit so you go over to the next group of houses and there's some rat sitting inside with a shotgun pointed right at the door.

It's me, I'm that rat.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Doorknob Slobber posted:

im going to just start tossing grenades in open windows

They work. Will either flush them out or kill them if they can't get into a closet fast enough.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Hopefully the patch does a lot of work for server stability, you can definitely tell when you join a server that's been on for a while.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

succ posted:

I feel like loot crates are always worth going for early. I get so many kills with the M24 or AWM snipers, and it almost guarantees a win if you make top 10 with them.

Yeah my squad makes an effort to go for any we see, we usually get them too. I guess everyone thinks everyone else is going for it so they just don't.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

There's still huge portions of the map I have never been to, but I just have so much luck with my squad landing in Pochinki. So exciting dropping in and seeing a grip of other people dropping with us on the other side of town and we just clear building to building and meet in the motel in the middle of town.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's really loving me up with how I usually treat early access titles.

me posted:

The game is laggy and bullets are too loud in the lobby, what are you even doing!!

PlayerUnknown posted:

Yep understandable, we are aware of it and should have a patch out by tomorrow

me posted:

I...well...good job!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

15 hours played and I only just played my first 2 solo games. Wow, it's a totally different monster than squads. I think it might be more fun alone

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Athanatos posted:

Reminder: When you pull a pin on your grenade, then switch weapons...the live grenade gets put into your backpack...

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpicySmilingBaboonSaltBae

I was cooking a grenade, got downed and then the grenade went off in my hand before my friends could get me back up.

It's funny but also loving annoying.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Teikanmi posted:

So why is this game better than H1Z1 KotK?

Please tell me in fewer than 14 words, thanks.

Better graphics, more transparent dev, future mod support, the new hotness.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I wish some of these battle royale games weren't just all set in a field with some forest. I want these worlds to have more biomes in it, at least just for visual flavor. Especially if this is the kind of game committed to having a large landmass.

Maybe a tundra area would be cool.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

anyone have some pro rear end starting locations? my favorite so far, and this might seem weird, but northeast Georgopol

I like to start at the southern point of Pochinki in a small group of 5 houses with my squad. We loot those 5 houses and walk away with a couple shotguns at worst and a handful of smgs and rifles at beast and just start clearing our way north through the town up to the 3 story building with a garage at the northern point of town and we like to hunker down there.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I've started yelling variations of "you just got owned" as irritatingly as I can in solo whenever I kill someone, I've gotten some pretty funny reactions ranging from people just busting up laughing to genuine fury.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm pretty happy with my "alt-right Hugh Jackman" look my character is rocking. 3k is pretty steep to change your avatar, though.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

taqueso posted:

Some good ones that weren't in the list above:

Oh poo poo that revive change is huge

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Gay Horney posted:

When does the patch go live?

4/20
:420:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I've had a single death I would definitely attribute to hacking, other than that just good ol' fashioned me being stupid or the game being buggy.

Actually a vast majority of my deaths are just me being stupid. I either wait way too long to move and someone is just standing on the inside of the white mowing down people coming in, or I leave the safety of a house I have perfectly locked down and good sight lines because I think there might be some tasty loot in that building over there.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I've seen more SKS' post-patch than I ever did pre-patch so something definitely changed/got fixed.
Kar98's seem way more rare, though.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Not sure if this has already been posted, but there's a pretty easy glitch that will make you hit the ground faster than almost everyone until word gets out on it and everyone starts doing it.

When you are in the free-fall section of the airdrop, hold down W to fall faster like normal. Right when you hit the white portion of the altitude bar where your parachute deploys, let go of W a split second before you hit the white, then hit W again. You will maintain a parachute deploy speed of ~120 that will slowly taper down to the regular 60, rather than dropping to 20 and accelerating to 60.

Will probably get patched as soon as it becomes common use.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

fadam posted:

Any reason to not spend all my good boy points on chests asap?

You'll get more value if you buy 1 or 2 a week, they reset weekly to 700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I drove a buggy through a river I was able to get a UAZ through, and now I am sitting in it underwater without my lungs going out. The circle is slowly closing around me

• Locked thread