Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It's interesting how the learning experience goes in this game. I went from not knowing where I was getting shot from to actually spotting a guy who was shooting me (a second before he shot me)

Soon I hope to fire back at the guys who shoot me, maybe even hit one of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DrPlump posted:

What are the good spots?

Someday you will be the rear end in a top hat firing off long rang shots at people!

I have a few times! It's actually gone OK for the most part. What I need to learn now is (when people are firing at me) to spot the flashes and get to cover. Sometimes they'll fire at me and I'll get to cover and it turns out -- oh dear, I'm on the wrong side of the cover!

I do wish muzzle flashes were a little more obvious but this will probably come with experience

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

this is very chill

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Had a game last night where our squad took a UAZ and a sidecar motorcycle. One of the dudes in the sidecar got sniped out of it in a completely open field, so I immediately turned the UAZ around, hightailed it to his position and interposed the UAZ in between him and the enemy. One guy revived him, two of us kept their heads down, and then we all piled into the UAZ and drove off under fire.

The guy who we came back to rescue ended up getting us Chicken Dinner in the final tiny circle. It owned.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DrNutt posted:

lmao that's going to change pretty quick once your MMR goes up.

the people who got me into this game and who I play with exclusively have all been playing for quite some time so on occasion I (a new player who is Bad) will run into what appears to be Delta Force when I play with them

game still fun though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

I've had so, so many incredible runs where I was fully decked out, ready to go, great positioning. But my first chicken dinner just came at 2 in the morning, with my sound turned down to play Lil Yachty for half the game, and operating with a pistol and no armor

I don't get this game sometimes

You can do all the good stuff and find the best gear and sometimes you just get that one dude who spots you from behind and tags you before you can react

and vice versa though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
as it turns out, repeatedly hot-dropping onto high-traffic/high-loot areas over and over again makes you much better at this game!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

lohli posted:

I'd be ok with this if shooting from vehicles wasn't such a poo poo and janky experience, some kind of rotational inertia would be really good and then I'd be totally down with boat wars.

Next you need to queue up for a squad game by yourself with automatching turned off and try to take out entire squads when they go for apartments.

Grab a shotgun/smg, sneak in, make dudes mad.

dang that's a good idea

just carve away the soft parts of my game until I become the Punisher

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
so I got a question about the initial drop -- very often when I'm dropping on a hot spot I'll see people who seem to be opening their chutes way closer to the ground than I am. I know that we're dropping on the same elevation because the black bar is all the way on the bottom of the altimeter. Does the altimeter trigger your chute when you get to a hard altitude, or does that altitude change depending on how fast you're going?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I actually got a round in with a fully kitted out vector and god drat that thing really is a beast

once you get an extended mag it really is something else

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

solo, duo, or squad?

I'm sitting at 1.8 kdr solo dropping at school for half the matches, but only .65 squad.
My squad excuse is I play with bad people, and if you aren't the person initiating contact in bad groups you will have a lower kdr. I play with people from work, and one is a loot goblin that dictates where we go and usually drives. He shoots first. So he's either soaking up easy kills first, or getting us in bad situations that wipe us. I wish I could be invisible when I'm playing, because I actually take this abuse so it doesn't affect my relationship with people at work. He's a lead production engineer that has some bearing on my future. I tried bringing him with me to play with some online friends when I first started, and they have banned me from bringing him back, because he uses open mic and spent most of the time sniffling and eating.

While typing this out I just realized I need to drop another $30 dollar on another steam account.

In squad games you also have the possibility of your playing an excellent match where you hit all your shots but you end with zero kills because someone else got the last one in

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
A dude in a squad game I was in ambushed me and immediately double-tapped me through my level 2 helmet with a pistol before I could get off one shot with my M4

he then proceeded to miss every single one of two magazines worth of shots against my teammate and died when my teammate found a shotgun

my man used up all his John Wick points on me :(

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

Don't get caught with your pants down, private! Press RELOAD (default key R) to top up your gun and get back in the fight!

one thing I notice in a lot of streams like chocotaco and shroud is that they don't seem to reload that often? Like in the middle of a firefight when you think they'll have time to top off, they don't

I think it's probably a combination of a) wanting to be aggressive and b) knowing they don't need all 30 shots to kill a dude

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I cut my sensitivity almost in half and immediately saw a huge improvement in my aim, thank you friends for this advice

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Does anyone have a link to that program which kind of normalizes all the sounds? I would like to hear footsteps better but would rather not damage my hearing whenever I fire a gun

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It wasn't Sound Lock, was it?

https://www.3appes.com/sound-lock/

I ask because twice in the past week I've died due to someone running up on my position and my not being able to hear their footsteps at all

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 12, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

and with people that can 180 headshot you.

yeah running into Delta Force is always a concern but in FPP they're like guaranteed to be in there somewhere

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the majority of people who play PUBG are objectively loathsome so ruining their good time is a moral imperative

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
was having a pretty great squad game with goons earlier and then a guy named ||||||||| headshot me and another goon through our level three helmets from 300m away using an M16 on burst fire essentially simultaneously, so by the time we rezzed the circle came in on us :(

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Had a game earlier today with goons where we had all four intact versus two in the final circle. One of the enemies is in a shitshack so I prime a grenade to throw it inside ...

and then the game freezes/network lags for exactly as long as it takes for the grenade to go off and kill me

we ended up winning though. props to my man noob_bitch

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It's a shame that the stats aren't tracking temporarily because this game is finally clicking and now I get several kills per game rather than months and months of zero :smug:

this is also prolly because I bought a huge mousepad, though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

abigserve posted:

It's probably because the ranking system is disabled so you're playing against the dregs.

AW AWWW

also 'cause I'm playing with goons now. It's been fun learning from some of the better players here!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
he mentioned once that the consequences for his being caught cheating is that he'd lose pretty much his entire livelihood so I very much doubt he does it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
for leading someone, the rough guide with ARs is that if they're sprinting perpendicular to you, you aim one player-space in front of them for every 100m

so if someone's 300m away from you sprinting side to side, you aim three player-bodies in front of them, and so on. these are with the 5.56 ARs -- AK and Groza are a bit slower so you wanna aim like 1.25 players ahead. Adjust as needed based on the angle and walk your shots in based on where you see them impact.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I was playing this game a few days ago and a guy came around the corner in the final 10 and immediately put all three of his M16 burst shots through my level 3 helmet so I think I'll take a bit of a break!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
A friend and I decided to hot-drop at the school because we wanted to get another one of our friends in quickly after he joined while we were in the plane

so I nab an AR on the roof of the school and kill five people, but my teammate gets killed and I don't have a frag grenade to off myself, so I go looking to honorably lose a fight, but unlike the majority of other times I've played this game, I'm coming out on top of every 1v1 and 1v2

20 minutes and 12 kills later in a game I intentionally tried to lose, I get a chicken dinner.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Should have jumped off the school a couple of times.

I did once but then I heard gunfire at the apartments so I ran over there and killed a guy and then I heard gunfire near Roz so I ran over there and killed a guy and so on

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

I hope your friends are like mine; they actively want the other people to keep playing because they are cowards and then talk to the other people at work about the chicken dinner I bring them at the end.

they had time to start another duos game and finish it while I was chicken dinnering and we cheered one another on, it was shockingly wholesome

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
is it me or is it far more difficult to see both chutes and players who haven't deployed yet in the new map? I feel like I don't know if my squad is alone or not until we're very close to the ground all the time now

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
next map should be a jungle map with no sightlines beyond 200m

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
does the killcam make it look like there's zero recoil from the guy who killed you? I just got murked by a dude whose reticle was completely still while he was rapid-clicking and moving

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It sucks because you always wonder, like, is that guy who just rapid-fired an SKS at me and hit every shot hacking or is he just really good? The killcam only kinda helps

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dyz posted:

Dropping in areas with mining/oil structures has worked for me, but you’re pretty exposed on the catwalks.

(North side of Impala, for example)

if you're squadding in Water Treatment it's not the worst idea to send someone to drop on top of the big tanks because it gives one guy an elevated position with good sightlines and two of the tanks give you some cover in the middle. If you're lucky enough to get a winchester or a decent AR you can make things difficult for anyone else who drops with you

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
twice tonight PUBG did the thing where it runs silky-smooth except when you get in a very close-range gunfight with a dude, where it then hiccups for just enough frames for the other guy to kill me :(

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zzulu posted:

I just got this game. I look forward to running around getting shot by people I can't see a lot

Wait until you get better and you start being the person who sees people and shoots them ... and misses and then they immediately zero your position and dome you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I feel this game shares a key trait with Dwarf Fortress. That game's motto is "losing is fun".

It's best to play this game assuming that there is at all times another player just out of your vision with a bead on your head and there's nothing you can do about it, so don't feel too bad about it when you get killed

• Locked thread