Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey PUBG goons. I recently got the game cause all my friends pretty much only play this now for some reason and have been trying to troubleshoot performance issues, beyond the game being a broken early access mess. I've mostly fixed issues while in the battleground itself, but when I start up a game, I get stuck on the loading screen for a really long time. Sometimes it gets stuck completely and never loads into the game. Sometimes it just takes a really long time and I don't pop in until I'm in the airplane. Either way I get stuck on the loading screen and can't seem to figure out how to fix this. Anyone have a better solution besides "Get an SSD" that all the posts I can find keep suggesting?

Also sidenote boy did my friends oversell how pretty the game is (it is not a pretty game at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well I managed this on my second actual game solo (I had one or two other games of me joining a game and trying to troubleshoot performance stuff and then quitting) :shobon:

There's a lot never seeing another person for long stretches of time in this game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

daslog posted:

Streamers are one of the key ways this game gets advertised. I can't see BlueHole doing anything to piss them off. Purely a business decision.

Streamers have a billion ways to mitigate stream sniping, and even if they didn't that's just a risk you take by showing yourself playing a multiplayer game on stream. Bluehole's decision to ban stream snipers is dumb as hell. The responsibility should be on the streamer here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What does view distance affect? I lowered it all the way and how far I can see into the distance doesn't change. Raised it back to ultra and everything still looks the same. Does it only affect players in the distance? It feels like the view distance option doesn't do anything right now

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I would really like some kind of death cam or... something so I can see how I was killed when I'm shot to death by someone I can't see

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Regrettable posted:

Buy an SSD.

Please don't buy an SSD for a single broken AF early access game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Someone in the subreddit made an offhand comment about the Unity store-bought assets in the game. Is that true? If that's the case, have they said anything about planning on replacing everything with their own stuff at some point?

I ask mostly because I haven't really hard much of anything regarding that from people, and usually games using store bought assents get a ton of (I feel deserved) flack that this game hasn't been getting (that I've seen anyway, I'm pretty new to following this game). I mean sure it's Early Access but the game has been around for a bit now

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

Because they prefer their game assets locally grown and artistically handcrafted by true artists using only the finest of vertices and shaders.

Anything else is a sure sign of a greedy developer laughing all the way to the bank as they extend early access targets forever.

I mean yeah? Well made nice looking art assets are a good thing

The game selling gangbusters shows that I guess that people mostly don't care that the game is so ugly but I feel people should care a little bit

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

fletcher posted:

I mean, it's still the most fun game I've played in the last 15 years. Why do I care if they used Unity store-bought assets? Using off the shelf parts/components is a good idea in pretty much every engineering discipline.

It's a video game though, not fixing a coffee table

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

"And you can see Jim, number 87 is parachuting in and... and..."
"OH MY GOD THE BUILDINGS"
"That's right Jim, they buildings HAVEN'T loaded in yet. Things aren't starting very strong for number 87"
"Ya got that right Bob and OH number 87 was just killed in one shot by number 33 in some random place he and our camera men can't see but boy howdy! What a game!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Watch it turn out the game actually renders a player character with the jesus pose on the spectator camera

I hope the spectator's buildings never load

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

The game can be fun and not be an esport game.

The game should also probably not be a broken mess before trying to make it an esport

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I swear the majority of my kills have been at the start of the game via punching.

Played a duo with my friend earlier where me and him landed next to some hangers, and so did another pair. We landed kind of away from each other so I only heard my friend and the gunfire in game and then my friend killing one of the pair on the killfeed. I then started to run to him through one of the hangers and then the other person in the pair ran PAST me. Still no gun yet. I didn't either so I just chased after him and punched him a few times. Then he managed to get some distance from me just enough where I couldn't punch him and I chased him through the streets of the town (the far right one. T-something?) and he was going around all the houses through alleyways and everything, with me right behind him also at full speed. It was like the chase scene between Will Smith and the alien at the beginning of Men in Black. He finally decides to pick a house, turns and slams open the door to one of the bedrooms and it just so happens to have a gun in it. I was right on his tail the entire time. However he wasn't fast enough cause I was able to punch him to death before he could finish loading the gun.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Are these cheaters using throw away accounts and buying the game over and over? It seems so obvious and catchable I don't see how they'd last a day.

Cause the game is broken and in early access

edit: Also they're not stream snipers so they're completely safe

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

"Realism" is stupid if it makes the game worse.

That's a good one sentence review of PUBG

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

I also have some super ideas for you, how about tommy guns shoot helium balloons out and when bullets whiz past they scream out "I WAS SHOT FROM 245 SSE, GUY'S ON THE HILL".

This would be a good thing actually cause a lot of this game is being shot dead from some place you can't see which is super dumb. Thank you for the good suggestion :)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

daslog posted:

They are patching put the flames that shoot from the airplane that show up after someone gets Molotoved on spawn island.

I always wondered what was wrong with the planes

I never even thought twice about it, I just thought they were coming off of the plane. I don't know nothin about that type of plane.

cosmicjim posted:

gently caress I can't wait for someone to make a non-lovely version of this game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

TJChap2840 posted:

I lot of people won’t give Fortnite a try just because of its graphics, which is a shame.

A lot of people won't give Fortnite a try because all of their idiot friends are obsessed with this game so if they want to play games with them then a lot of people have to do what they have to do :mad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

fknlo posted:

So I think Shroud has hit the point where at least 1/3 of the people in his matches are stream snipers throwing themselves at him.

As far as I can tell, completely unsurprisingly Bluehole's ridiculous policy to ban stream snipers had had the opposite effect of fixing that "problem"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Watching this at first I can see why people think this dude is using an actual aimbot. I had to watch it a few times to really tell that no, the dude is just really good.

I wonder if a person like this enjoys single player FPS games like Wolfenstein because I imagine when you have reflexes that good even the hardest NPCs must seem so easy

Roki B posted:

You should type up a bit about this I'm curious as to why

Isn't it something to do with the assets they are using can't work any better than they are or something? I've seen an explanation about it before

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Big Zharki fan here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What about changes to make the game work

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Star Man posted:

I convinced my group to go to the starting island in the northeast corner of the map.

It turns out that it's totally not worth it.

Does the island even spawn weapons there when the game actually starts?

I can imagine it not being worth it though. There's no much ammo there, I don't think there's gear at all? I assume there's no boats

I'm glad you did the experiment though cause I wanted to know if it was even possible to go there once the game started

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Not specific to this situation, but it's still funny to me how this Far Side comic ended up becoming real life for a ton of people:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

this game is straight up not ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Went on the test server to see if this broke rear end poop game runs better and I'm happy to report it runs WAY the gently caress better than live ever has. No memory leaks, no initial melty buildings (though I didn't play for an extended period of time to see if that's an issue) and the desert map looks all around much prettier than the other map. Though like. Not much. The game being able to run well and with my settings maxed is a plus though. The little direction indicator on the minimap is a nice touch specifically for the plane section. Overall graphics quality improvements aside though, the game is still pretty ugly

• Locked thread