Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

Zalman mics are really cheap, and really hit or miss in build quality. I've bought 2 or 3 of them and the best one of the bunch could only be used if it was physically touching my mouth.

My go-to cheap mic for a while was a Logitech Desktop Mic. Worked pretty well.

Battery powered lavaliers aren't bad, either - plus most are only ~$20. Just remember to unclip them before getting up to walk away.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Omnidirectional-Condenser-Lavalier-Microphone/dp/B002HJ9PTO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

These are mine, and they were worth every penny: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00GWU8FTK

They're 'open' headphones, so you can wear them for hours without worrying about "Swimmer's Ear."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

What'd be interesting is if they instituted a voice recognition software that would detect racial slurs and the like and put a giant "I'M RIGHT HERE COME SHOOT ME" pointer above the person.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Songbearer posted:

I want Bad Company's building destruction so you can blow buildings open with grenades

That or Red Faction Gurilea's building destruction so you can drive a UAZ through a building and pull the entire thing down :black101:

"There was one guy, but he don't shoot no more. A brutal son of a bitch. Most boys shoot to kill. He'd shoot to wound, wait till his friends come to help, kill them too. Turned one target into four. Men, women, children. Killed them by the hundreds. The other side wanted him. Bad. Finally narrowed his hide down to an abandoned six-story building. They quit the subtle tactics. They called in an artillery strike. Leveled a square block. Brought the building down on his rear end. Some say he crawled out of there. Some say he died. Never heard from him no more."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

What controls the weather conditions and are any more planned other than raining? I really love the rain atmosphere in this game and would be hype for more stuff like that.

e; so I just used this google thing. Oh my god, fog, night, snow.... Please make this work...

Fog would be nice if they can figure out a way to do it that doesn't involve particulate to tank the frame rate. Also, relative newcomer to the thread - but is this game relatively hack-free yet? That's a big reason why I stopped playing H1Z1.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, my first game I made the mistake of loading into a 'custom' server...my second game was 'bleh,' but I came in fifth on my third game. I really have to train my eyes to find players against the default textures - any non-cheat suggestions as to brightness settings and the like?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

I feel like the sm4 is bull to stop people from using it, I have no problems and the streamers don't seem to have a problem with it either.

I tried that command line instruction set and it made my game crash right before the launch of a match. Playing windowed 1680x1050 on a 1200p screen. Seems to work pretty well.

Also, it seems like simply adding mild serpentine motion into running keeps you alive way longer than armor - you just have to not be predictable in left/right motions.

Gay Horney posted:

Serious question: Why do you guys watch other people play video games?

Well, I just started playing, so my watching streams is watching weapon handling and the like and occasionally hearing "oh, I love this spawn and it seems like no one ever comes here."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WirelessPillow posted:

every time I check out Dr.Disrespect he is bitching about hit detection or net code. I can't watch someone so angry at everything else when they fail.

"How dare this early access game have rough edges! *My* client should be buttery-smooth because I'm Dr. Mr. Important Playing Games on the Internet Man and I'm being free advertising for them! Also, I'm the best vidya gamer in the history of vidya gamez, so obviously it's other people's fault when I don't win every time. And now a message from our sponsor, Dunning-Kruger Game Peripherals..."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Unfortunately, the more people buy in, the more lucrative developing cheats becomes, and it's always going to be cheaper to do that than to find and counter them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

If there's enough demand, I don't think they'd be opposed to opening servers in other regions. They're pretty flush with cash right now.

I think the market for survival games in Africa might be a bit flat seeing as you can go a few hundred miles north of South Africa and play the real thing for the price of an AK and some malaria medicine. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it possible for them to voice recognition ban the people screaming 'friend of the family' and other words?

I mentioned that it'd be a far more constructive solution to make a voice recognition system that would put a giant "THERE'S A RACIST HERE" arrow over those folks that anyone within an grid square can see.

They'd just start using other words, though - like "cuck." Of course, just make that spawn a "THERE'S A JINGOISTIC VIRGIN MEME LORD HERE" arrow.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping a pump shotgun on me at all times for interior fights from now on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I seem to be really good at surviving to the Top 10/Top 20, but *reeeeeeally* bad at situational awareness. Oh well, learning curves.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Give me Five-Seven or give me death

Having personally fired both the Five-Seven and P90, the P90 would be fun, the Five-Seven not so much.

VulgarandStupid posted:

You don't want them to add more ammo types to the game...

This too...*so* much time spent mulching .380 ammo in H1Z1...

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 8, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The FAMAS might be interesting, and someone already posted the MP5 will probably make an appearance based on the weapons package they're licensing.

I think anyone advocating for the FAL just wants people carrying a huge gun that has the recoil of an ACME cannon. Here's hoping they keep the AWM as the biggest rifle and don't cave to CoD idiots who want .50BMG sniper rifles in everything.

I wouldn't say no to an M79 in the sidearm slot as another crate drop weapon, though - so long as they have it keep the minimum arming distance and lose the guide line.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I just really dig the aesthetic of those mid Cold War European assault rifles. Imagine a G3 with the original wood furniture. That would fit right in I think.

Under that logic, so would a Mosin, and it'd fit with the setting, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you're close enough to fill their face with buckshot then you might as well grab your pan and make a light ragout out of their facemeats.

While we're still kind of on the subject of new weapons. I wouldn't mind a nail gun. No aiming point save for the built-in crosshairs, but more or less integrally silenced since the only noise it should make is "shhhh-kumpfh!"

It'd also be really nice to be able to rig doors with grenades.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Can't help but be reminded of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BPBKDwf8UQ&t=190s

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

make cargo trucks / troop carriers driveable and make it so you can just plow through the shacks

THE GOONBUS SHALL LIVE AGAIN.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The ability to hide the names of the people you were killed by would be nice. Being shot by human meme-named garbage named |<|<|<_Grand_Wizard or Lynchin_Cucks is getting a bit old. You can't see their names until you kill them anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Lots of informed :words: about Virtual Surround.

At least delusion is cheap today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ35C1Q

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chard posted:

Some of the best fun is had in the lobby

Also one of the only places most players will ever get the chance to touch a Tommy Gun, M249, M24, or AWM.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

gently caress. Ended up 3rd in solo game. I should have used different cover or tried to stay longer in blue to see if someone moves. It gets really tense in the end.. goddamnit!

I killed only four guys I think. One who dropped on the same hospital floor but I got the shotgun. 2nd inside, 3rd was running before me and I followed him with silenced UMP to get the kill. 4th one was nearly in the end, had to shoot to head twice thanks to his lvl3 helmet. 5th guy got me instead because he saw me first.. I wish cars had a free mode so I could use uaz as rolling cover.

When it's down to the final circle(s), never "wait it out" in the blue field/gas, because the health loss ticks get gradually larger.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd imagine the ballistic and gas masks offer a way to cover more of your skin, thereby *maybe* giving you a bit more camo. Kind of like that clip a few pages back where a guy had a perfect outfit for blending in with trees.

I'll always grab a coat when I find one - I'll pass up the trenches during non-rainy matches, though - something about running across an open field wearing a black trenchcoat in broad daylight doesn't feel smart.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Minorkos posted:

I guess they just think he's a corpse

Or, the guy saw him, saw he wasn't armed *at all*, and decided to focus on the enemies that *were* armed. Also, him being there was a nice temptation - if the other people had seen him and gone for the free kill, they'd have given up their positions or given the guy who died that extra second or two that might've made the difference. The guy just got lucky that his guy got killed so he could loot him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Good soup! posted:

Remote mines, please

I'd settle for being able to rig doors with grenades from the inside and outside for field shack camper hilarity.

Also, I know this is shades of H1Z1 - but it would be interesting if they added harvestable wild fruits and berries to the game as an inferior 'boost' item. Eat the wrong ones and "So-and-So died because they didn't read the field manual."

Or, even better, pick poison berries, combine them with an energy drink, and drop that poo poo. Obviously you'd have to name it "Energy Drink," but make it so it couldn't be stackable with other Energy Drinks so people who are on the ball would know it'd been tampered with.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 20, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Thank you. A google image search for 'soviet radar installation' seems to confirm. I grew up on a few American military bases and never saw anything like that, but I guess it's not the sort of thing they let kids play baseball around either.

More specifically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duga_radar

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's nice to know that in this game it's best to watch the compilation videos from streamers like I do with Hearthstone, except the allegations and cries of 'stream sniping' seem even more desperate in the live action PUBG streams.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm done playing this game solo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, except if I just wanted a 'shoot internet mans' experience there are definitely smoother ones. I just don't find solo terribly fun, and I think that's because it's a lot more fun having extra eyes and ears to help loot and listen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It should make it so that you can get up off the ground without a teammate helping you if you use it while down as well.

Now we're getting into "let's make a defibrillator a rare crate drop that can revive dead teammates *once*" territory.

That being said, the injection should be a rare drop that's far more common at the 'hospital' or in places that'd have infirmaries around like towns, the power plant, and the military base.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ImPureAwesome posted:

I wish there was a practice range so I could just practice shooting different guns at different ranges

Moving targets, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Instead of zombie mode it'd be a whole lot more imaginative for the first 40 deaths to become random progressively-released wildlife like wolves, bears, wolverines, and since "is Russia," the occasional Siberian tiger.

Same general principle, just done more interestingly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

They should add a Katana as a melee weapon.

It can only be found in bedrooms mounted on a display stand on the wall. Next to anime and kill bill posters.

gently caress that noise. Is not *Russian*, tovarisch!

http://www.knifeup.com/russias-spetsnaz-survival-machete/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've noticed Aculite has been exclusively playing on the Asian servers to make himself look more godlike.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So, with regards to crates, when it's not marked with red smoke anymore, that means its empty, right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

qkkl posted:

This game desperately needs 100% of development effort expended on new guns that are only found in crates. In addition each crate should drop with a guard dog that realistically barks and attacks players to make crates a bigger challenge to loot.

15-30 second unlock timer to loot, 60 seconds to grab poo poo before it explodes with the same force as a car does once it's successfully accessed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

lol if you're not just selling every loving crate you get right now, morons are buying them for $3+ bucks a pop.

edit: even funnier the miniskirt is selling for $500 with buy orders at $300 :psyduck:

"The mini skirts he sold that day...formed the *foundation* of what we are today."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

using trading card money to open my first crate and get bloody shoes was a good result because now i won't be tempted to spend any more money, trading card or otherwise, on crates at all.

Loaded five bucks into my Steam market account a while back and made myself an outfit that more or less hides me in brush and blends in with *most* buildings. As I recall the most expensive single item was the camo jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Only fair to reward that generosity with a frag grenade.

• Locked thread