Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Hi there and welcome to a pretty neat game with a somewhat unique artstyle.

Plan
This may or may not be a hundred percent playthrough. That really depends on how easy or hard it is to find the collectables or various sidequests that can be completed.
I will grab whatever I can find and I will do a thorough search of each area at least once to make sure I grabbed everything.

Spoiler Policy
I actually haven't beat this game and only remember a couple of the larger plot points. So as per usual if it hasn't happened don't talk about it.

Episode Listing
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 01: Tutorial
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 02: Tutorials
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 03: Colorless King
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 04: Fiery Red
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 05: Red District
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 06: Market District
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 07: Green District
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 08: Dome Security
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 09: Green Power
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 10: Green Friends
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 11: Green Escape
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 12: Windmill
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 13: Blue Market
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 14: Therapy
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 15: Pipes and Leaks
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 16: Eva
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 17: Noir
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 19: Tower
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 20: Finale

Doseku fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'm liking this game, but my only concern is that your subtitles are massively obtrusive. They take up 1/5 of the screen, the chosen font doesn't help any, and the dusky bar just makes the whole thing even more glaring.

Still going to watch. Not going to let problems like that stop me right out the gate.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
To offer a conflicting and confusing -but still genuine- opinion, I like the large subtitles.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
This isn't the first time he's used these subtitles and I was able to look past them so it's no big deal for me.

What I DO have problems with is the "voice acting" in this game. For as interesting as this game looks, I was having trouble getting past the almost gargling voice of the lizard/gecko people and honestly, I'm not a fan of Tap's "meep"s either. I'm also having to do my best to not look at Koru and have my brain scream "Sun Wukong!"

I'm gonna keep watching but I know it's gonna be difficult for admittedly stupid reasons.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I like that the Monkey King's Koru's scarf moves like how a monkey's tail would at points - at least it looks like it does, it certainly isn't flapping like a scarf normally would.

I agree that the voices are a little annoying - they've obviously tried to tweak the Banjo-Kazooie style to some a little more unique, but the new style just comes out as worse. The noises the characters make a more diverse, which I feel spoils the effect.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I remember this game! I also remember the point where I got fed up with it and decided it wasn't worth finishing. So, uh, good luck!

That being said it's mostly not a bad game, exactly, but it definitely feels like they could have done more with the premise and it's just kinda, well, dull in places. It could have used some more polish.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I'll agree this game does have some dull spots to it. The tutorial section up the race is definitely one of them. When the video goes up it'll probably be one of the few that I could say that it might be skippable at least until the end when the plot actually starts to creep it's way in.
I think after that things start to finally move at a speed quicker than a sloth.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The subtitles are fine, but a bit large. Getting rid of the grayish background would do a lot, so they're not obnoxiously covering up stuff. This game has oodles of style, don't cover it with stickers. You could try using Youtube's inbuilt captioning system to make it less so.

Additionally, proofread them before editing them in (to get rid of those pesky homonyms), and make sure every

---

sentence ends in the same subtitle as it began, as it gets kind of annoying otherwise. The size of the subtitles

---

also aggravate this issue needlessly.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
At this point I should address why I chose to use the subtitles they way that I did. Initially when I started using subtitles way for Castle of Illusion I did indeed us youtubes captioning system. Then someone brought up that not everybody knows to click the cc button on the player and it might be better to bake them in. So I did. The colors were chosen for readability since black with white borders came in pretty clearly. The hazy grey background was then added because I found that without it the subtitles would become much harder to read in certain places in the videos. The hazy background allowed it to be readable no matter where it popped in.

After a while on a different game someone brought up that it was hard to keep track of the action and look for the subs which at that time were at the bottom of the screen. It was a valid complaint because that is an issue I had too when reviewing the videos where I sometimes didn't even know they showed up unless I was looking and I'm the one that put them there. So to account for that I re adjusted their position and made them slightly bigger which also had the added benefit of making things much easier to read if you were on a mobile device like a cell phone. Now I do realize that it does block a portion of the screen and I did compensate for that by making the haze at least somewhat transparent and by limiting what I do say in certain spots so you can see the game in action without me blabbing over stuff.

I know that I can't please everyone but I'm hoping that at least addressing the issue and explaining my thought process will alleviate some worries.

anyway the next video is already recorded but I'm away from my main computer at the moment so It won't come out till next week. Thanks for your patience and have a good day.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I like the look of this game, especially that papier-mâché look. I wonder how many other arts and crafts style games there are.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 02: Tutorials

Still more tutorials to go through. A good chunk of the video can be skipped if you want. The plot starts again at the race which is somewhere near the end. Thankfully things should pick up after this one.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 14, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Stuff finally starts to happen and we make a new friend.

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 03: Colorless King

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I bet Rob Boss painted the happiest little trees that Colortown ever did see.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

That's a weird sun they got there. And very incompetent race proctor.

And, of course, the obligatory stealth section...

When one painting references Back to The Future and Portal, you know that either it's a peak of creator's performance or things would only get wilder from here.

Will we see actual Purple Spirit, I wonder?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we escape the outer district and make our way into Red territory.

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 04: Fiery Red

As a side not the subtitle format changes mid video due to a software update essentially removing a feature that I have been using thus forcing me to use a different method.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Time to explore the red district.

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 05: Red District

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

It pains me that you missed one paintbrush in Red Dome. It was just after the Red Spirit, before first jump pad, you saw it on the side of the screen. And then jumped down. And then haven't cycled Dome back to get it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Despite the fact that this game gives the impression that it should be an open world game: it isn't. There are levels. You can replay them at any time from the main menu.

Which means that brushes can be missed and that there's no way to go back to get them other than replaying the level.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
True. When you go to load the game you get to select the chapter you want to start from.
I could consider going back and getting the missing paintbrushes but I don't know if it's worth it at the moment.
I don't even really know what they are for right now. I understand their is a lady in the Market district that wants them but that's about it.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's the market district!

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 06: Market District

Edit: As a side note I will try and do better when it comes to collecting the paintbrushes. We are fast approaching the part of the game I stopped my initial playthrough at.
So pretty soon I'll be scouring levels looking for stuff as I go through them for the very first time. In fact that should happen after next episode.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 29, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 07: Green District

Of the districts we've seen so far. I think green is my favorite.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take on the Green Districts security system and try to kidnap the green spirit.

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 08: Dome Security

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we finish out the green district.

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 09: Green Power

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
We start making are way back to the market district.

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 10: Green Friends

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Crap. Green district is much bigger than I thought. It might be at least another episode or so before we actually get out of there.

Also it's summer and rather than have AC blaring in the background because it's less than 5 feet away I switched back over to subtitles.
So enjoy as I continue to bumble my way into areas of the game that I have not seen before

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 11: Green Escape

Edit: Also I upon review I noticed they were a little low on the screen and I will be correcting that by the next episode.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 27, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take on the windmill and hopefully cure the Green Spirit of his fears.

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 12: Windmill

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
With green district complete we head back to the Market.
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 13: Blue Market

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 14: Therapy

Blue district my favorite of the districts so far. It's the coolest looking one and it's music is neat too. Plus the soundtrack seems to change from area to area as we proceed further but unlike Green district where it
sounds the same, Blue has noticeable differences in the way it sounds. Setting the mood for the section you are in.
Anyway today we meet the admiral and forget how to defeat shielded enemies.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I know I haven't commented much, but I just want to say that I'm enjoying the LP.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I really like the subtitles. They allow the music of the game to really shine!

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 15: Pipes and Leaks

Back in the Green District I mentioned how the game didn't have boss battles yet, well today we get one and it's kind of lame.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we pick up Blue Spirit and realize he trivializes alot of enemies.
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 16: Eva

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take a break from fighting badguys to find out who's terrorizing a small town.

The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 17: Noir

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 19: Tower

Today we go back to where it all started.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm a few episodes behind so I don't know if you address it, but what happened to episode 18?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Funny thing about that one is I forgot that I didn't upload it. I found that out as I was uploading 19 and looked at my video listing wondering where 18 went.
I'll most likely put it up at a later time since I have to go through and edit it still.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's time bring and end to the Bleakness.
The Last Tinker: City Of Colors - Episode 20: Finale

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

That was a really neat little game. Thank you.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Thanks for playing this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Never even heard of this game but I really like this art style.

• Locked thread