Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

President Ark posted:

i mean, they only confirmed lizardmen and the elves in this trailer but the bit at the end pretty much says "yeah skaven are also in this"

which is great because i love those furry mad scientist crack addict bastards

They're going to tease out the Skaven a bit but there's already the steam page up with some more info:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/594570/

"Meanwhile a fourth, secretive race stirs, their motives obscured by sinister plots and machinations. The time for revelation is nigh…

Four races, four outcomes, a single goal: control of the Great Vortex, for good or ill."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Trujillo posted:

They're going to tease out the Skaven a bit but there's already the steam page up with some more info:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/594570/

"Meanwhile a fourth, secretive race stirs, their motives obscured by sinister plots and machinations. The time for revelation is nigh…

Four races, four outcomes, a single goal: control of the Great Vortex, for good or ill."

I can't wait. People crying "b-b-but HISTORICAL!!11".. c'mon brah. Skaven and Lizardmen are gonna be so goddamn good

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trujillo posted:

If you're wondering why there's so many dislikes on the trailer it's because for some reason people were expecting the reveal to be Total War: Mesoamerica or something and are angry that Creative Assembly is making this game alongside historical games instead of exclusively making purely historical games so they're signing petitions and trying to get a boycott going. :jerkbag:

Ah, yes. Gamer boycotts. Something with a long and storied history of total success.

Admittedly: Total War: Mesoamerica would actually be pretty interesting.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It exists already. Remember Kingdoms and the Americas campaign?

Total War: Americas Campaign 2 isn't exactly snappy, but...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lizards and Skavemen and Toke Elves also live in Fantasy Africa.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

#alwaysmorerats

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm a fan of all the *wink wink* the devs are doing about the Skaven being included.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Green Intern posted:

I'm a fan of all the *wink wink* the devs are doing about the Skaven being included.

I'm reading it more as of course everyone knows the Skaven are in, but they're still hammering out details of how the Skaven will work before they say anything.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cythereal posted:

I'm reading it more as of course everyone knows the Skaven are in, but they're still hammering out details of how the Skaven will work before they say anything.

r/TotalWar has a fair bit of "look at that perfectly ordinary rat" going about.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

Trap is already sprung.

What's up with that necromancer just abandoning his lands and making a run for it? Is that something the AI actually does?

I've definitely had friendly AI's like beg me for military access and then flee across my borders with a two man army like some sort of refugees, so yeah it seems to be a thing the AI does when it registers it has absolutely no chance of holding what it has left.

OTOH, if you actually take all their territory they'll usually suicide against you and get it over with.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

Also in lore the skaven are said not exist by the empire.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The authorities totally know they exist, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mukip posted:

The authorities totally know they exist, though.

I know.

"There are two lies about the Skaven, the first is that they don't exist, the second is that anyone believes the first."

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
gently caress yes Skaven :allears: I hope Ikit Claw and/or Thanquol are among their Legendary Lords, can't imagine playing the Skaven and not being allowed either of them.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 1, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kind of hilarious how everyone is hype for the lizards or rats, and no-one gives a poo poo about the two flavors of elf. :allears:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Night10194 posted:

It's kind of hilarious how everyone is hype for the lizards or rats, and no-one gives a poo poo about the two flavors of elf. :allears:

I mean, I guess we get Tyrion and Teclis vs Hellebron and Malekith? Again?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Night10194 posted:

So many flavours, most of them bland.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Dark Elves ride dinosaurs which is pretty cool.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Dark Elves ride dinosaurs which is pretty cool.

Why ride dinosaurs when you can is dinosaurs?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arglebargle III posted:

Why ride dinosaurs when you can is dinosaurs?

Who also ride dinosaurs, so you know.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Night10194 posted:

elves are in every fantasy game ever, skaven and mesoamerican lizardmen are two things warhammer did that were actually unique

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I mean I'm totally looking forwards to the Elves but they're not exactly the most unique or visually striking factions out of the four.

You didn't have a lot of people hyping Empire or Dwarves in the first game either and they're still two of the most popular races, while the Greenskins have great flavor and barely anyone actually plays them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Who also ride dinosaurs, so you know.

And mount laser cannons on dinosaurs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I was saying that as someone who likes hams elves, but likes them entirely because they're the elf you've seen a million times just nobody actually puts up with their bullshit here.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know.

"There are two lies about the Skaven, the first is that they don't exist, the second is that anyone believes the first."

The lore is full of examples of Skaven assassinating leaders to cause civil war, but I wonder how many plots against the skaven have caused them to have civil wars.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

White Coke posted:

The lore is full of examples of Skaven assassinating leaders to cause civil war, but I wonder how many plots against the skaven have caused them to have civil wars.

The Skaven national passtime is civil war.

After all, all other races are inferior furless losers, so one's only REAL threat is another skaven, right? And every single skaven believes he's the greatest skaven to ever skaven.

A little like Carsteins, really.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

madmac posted:

I mean I'm totally looking forwards to the Elves but they're not exactly the most unique or visually striking factions out of the four.

You didn't have a lot of people hyping Empire or Dwarves in the first game either and they're still two of the most popular races, while the Greenskins have great flavor and barely anyone actually plays them.

Large sections of the greenskin army list has a gimmick and that gimmick is "this thing sucks." You can see why they're not that popular.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

The Skaven national passtime is civil war.

After all, all other races are inferior furless losers, so one's only REAL threat is another skaven, right? And every single skaven believes he's the greatest skaven to ever skaven.

A little like Carsteins, really.

Oh sure, the Skaven want you to think that all those civil wars are entirely Skaven affairs.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

If there's gonna be Skaven, I hope they manage to fit in all the hosed up artillery they have along with the disposable rats to get killed. Nothing better than watching 50 Skavenslaves charge in, get hit by a warpfire thrower, or a ratling gun, or a warp lightning cannon (that can shoot through terrain), or a Doom Wheel that just kills all the slaves and what they were fighting and then your real troops bust in to deal with the survivors. Or, alternatively, all of your kick rear end artillery explodes killing most of your own troops and routing your own army before the enemy even gets close. The coin toss of it all is half the fun.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turn 7

The hooded necromancer our scouts saw fleeing Waldenhof with a crippled force turned out not to be Zelig. We may have done them a favor by wouding him. Only a von Carstein could've pulled off a maneuver like this. What looked like a cowardly retreat into Stirland has raised the dead in untapped empire lands where we haven't been raising ourselves and circled around to catch Fort Oberstyre off guard. We do have barely enough dark magic to raise a lord at the fort and try to raise dead but it would be costly.

Instead, Vlad gives the skeleton warriors he's been preparing to Isabella while she gives him most of her fell bats. Vlad is going to defend Fort Oberstyre himself as it'd be embarrassing for him personally to lose an inch of ground to the Tempelhof brood. The skeleton warriors will be needed on the soon-to-be eastern front and we have enough flying creatures in Isabella's army.

Vlad lays an ambush within the zone of control of the ruined fort. If you hover over a settlement, that's the area where an army can reinforce the garrison or vice versa so even if the ambush fails we'll still be protecting the town. Vlad's zone is the pictured red aura.

---

The adopted son gets one final chance to grovel for his life.

If you click the little map icon to the left of the fight battle button it'll bring up a preview of the terrain. Sometimes it's nice when deciding if you want to retreat. I forgot to get any screenshots of the garrison but I think it's just 5 units of zombies/skeletons. The battle bar is pretty even here. If Templehof had been destroyed already Vlad would be swinging it even harder but the vampire trio should be enough.

---

The Battle of Eschen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbk4rC9sR4A

When the battle starts, they've got a pretty wide army. I've got mine more compact for a reason. When you're the vampires you usually want to have a dense army so you can heal as much as you can with every AoE nehek and so items like the +34 melee attack staff will hit as much as it can. When you're attacking the AI will usually make you come to them unless you have a ranged advantage and it seems like an air advantage might cause it too. There's no reason for me to run up to them if I can easily take out their bats first to start picking off the units on the wings of their lines with flying units. After the air battle starts they run up. It's easier to give the right orders if you're on defense so when Mannfred runs up alone the vampires are sent to intercept him.

This is why the von Carstein start is easier than the Vampire Count start, because even just Isabella and one of the vampires hitting him is enough to take Mannfred out pretty quickly, and when you can put Master of Beguilement on him there's almost no risk of losing your lord in that situation. Mannfred goes down quick but the Varghulf is made of tougher stuff. If the AI was a bit smarter they would've kept the varghulf with Mannfred and then it would've been throwing Isabella and the other vampire around like ragdolls. It's spirit leeched but with regeneration it's healing off a lot of the hits we're giving but once the staff of damnation is up a lot more attacks by the zombies and skeletons will start connecting and it's a death by a thousand cuts. You can see when the staff is activated by a pink/red glow on models. Invocation of nehek appears as a long green wisp of light/smoke above the unit. Death magic hexes like spirit leech are purple, shadow magic is usually gray.

I don't know why they held 5 skeleton warriors in reserve until the battle is almost over. Just when they're about to start crumbling because of army losses they start running to the fight. If they had used those skeletons they might've been able to overwhelm my right pocket of troops which was pretty low until Isabella was able to run over after the varghulf died. I don't think I've seen that happen before so they may have gotten bugged out somehow.

It's hard to say how this battle would've went without the staff of damnation. It's a really strong item, but if you have Vlad with you while taking on Mannfred for the first time it would probably be even easier. This is why we had to wait for Mannfred to leave Drakenhof though. This would've been a defeat if we tried to take him on at the same time as the Drakenhof garrison.

---

With that we unlock the direpack regiment of renown, wolves that are made a lot more effective since they have some improved stats but also anti-large damage so they're better at helping lock down enemy cavalry or monsters. I forgot to recruit the regiments of renown for the fight but the Konigstein Stalkers are raised after the fight to help shore up army losses.

"Though most Undead are no more than stumbling thralls, these warriors have achieved renown due to their effectiveness in melee."

In the custom battle lobby, you can compare the stats of two units. The +40 and +9 is a comparison with skeleton warriors. They have the same amount of models, hp, but the stalkers have picked up armor from their dead enemies and have +40 more and +9 more leadership, melee attack and melee defense, along with having poison tipped attacks.

---

All three vampires rank up from the fight.

Isabella picks up Curse of Undeath. It's a passive that will trigger on everything in Isabella's army now while she's casting a spell. It acts like an invocation of nehek and when you're raising a lot of zombies and skeleton warriors it sort've adds up.

Melissa von Carstein, the death vampire gets Life-Leeching which is another passive that will add more winds of magic to the pool and increase the flow from the reserves.

Emmanuelle von Carstein is given Expansionist which increases growth when you pray. I want to unlock this to get to Influential.

With three points invested into Influential you get +3 vampiric corruption in the province that hero or lord is in. Emmanuelle started with ghoul whisperer so she already has +3 corruption. Once she maxes out Influential she'll have +6 corruption and will be the first of many vampires sent to saturate the Empire with corruption. Some skills have three tiers, that's why there's three circles, some only have one. If you hold the mouse over each circle it'll tell you what each tier does.

---

We'll have to thank Mannfred after he's gone. Wiping his army out triggered 'Famous Battle' so now starting next turn we'll permanently see a much different raise dead pool here. You want at least one of these in Sylvania or nearby so that you can raise an army up quickly in an emergency.

---

Since we occupied Eschen this time we can't move again and Vlad waits to see if Templehof is going to make a move on Fort Oberstyre so the turn ends. On the AI's turn, the necromancer lord that Mannfred raised the turn before keeps recruiting. I was worried because if he walked into Eschen he would've been able to raise dead and would've had access to all the better units that will be in Eschen's raise dead pool now.

AI factions that are playable will always take their turn right after the player, then the nonplayable factions, so Vampire Counts will always take their turn before Templehof.

Zelig has had enough and sees the battle of Eschen as the time to start negotiating.

We're starting to feel bad for Zelig. He recovers from the wound we gave him, takes back control of his army and tries to do the right thing by attacking the Moot but is repulsed and loses most of his army, and since Vlad's ambush roll was succesful Zelig doesn't see him and ends the turn a short jaunt from Vlad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFnCwVqbWs

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 1, 2017

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
These awesome combined LPs convinced me to pick this game up at full price, because I'm dumb and missed the sale. I've been playing along with the Von Carsteins on Hard, and am running into a pretty big roadblock in that Imperial peasants don't seem to like me for some reason. I help myself to one meager province, build every order/corruption building I can and prance a bunch of heroes around to push corruption further, and public order is still deteriorating with a full stack hanging out in the capital. I'll probably break even on order soon once the buildings get upgraded, but corruption is hitting diminishing returns and this seems like a pretty unsustainable way to conquer the world. Any advice? Should I just be subjugating people and giving them their towns back? Can you even give people towns in this game?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Doopliss posted:

These awesome combined LPs convinced me to pick this game up at full price, because I'm dumb and missed the sale. I've been playing along with the Von Carsteins on Hard, and am running into a pretty big roadblock in that Imperial peasants don't seem to like me for some reason. I help myself to one meager province, build every order/corruption building I can and prance a bunch of heroes around to push corruption further, and public order is still deteriorating with a full stack hanging out in the capital. I'll probably break even on order soon once the buildings get upgraded, but corruption is hitting diminishing returns and this seems like a pretty unsustainable way to conquer the world. Any advice? Should I just be subjugating people and giving them their towns back? Can you even give people towns in this game?

Did you get the corruption boosting technologies in the bottom right tree or influential on your heroes? You could try turning off taxes for any rebellious provinces but rebellions aren't always a bad thing, as long as no one else is pressing you. Killing the rebels gives your heroes ranks and will give a lot of dark magic.

Rebellions will slowly build up after they've started. Unless they think they can overwhelm the town they spawn next to with the army they start with, rebels will usually sit outside the city and raise more troops for a few turns before attacking or laying siege. Every turn that the rebels muster, you'll gain 20 order. So you can gain ~60-80 order while the rebels sit and gather strength. If you have an army defending with the garrison, especially if it's walled, you should always be able to beat rebels. Walls and towers are a pretty big advantage. Then after you kill the rebels the province gets a military crackdown bonus to order so it should be a while before the next rebellion so you can move your army somewhere else until they're close to rebelling again. The rebellions won't stop until the province is really corrupted so there's no need to rush in expanding.

E: Also, are there still human held towns in the provinces you're trying to corrupt? They'll usually fight back against corruption which is why you might be getting diminishing returns, or you might need more heroes with vampiric corruption.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 1, 2017

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
The big counter-modifier is "local populace". At the moment I only have one influential hero, with my other hero specced as a dedicated caster (and because I am, as stated above, dumb, I skipped the Mad Count building to go straight for the proper vampire crypts). I have indeed helped myself to the entire province, and I am indeed researching the hell out of the Book of Blood.

I'm currently 65% corruption trending to 89%, with the public currently orderly even with no military presence (assuming moving the heroes away doesn't tank it too much). Could be I exaggerated the problem, though I'm not looking forward to having to spend this long conquering each province. Having only two provinces on Turn 44 is bad feels, especially where the target is 15 or 20.

Thanks very much. I'll try being more aggressive and just dealing with the rebels. That seems like the Warhammer way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's good to remember that rebellions aren't necessarily a bad thing -- they're free gold and xp you don't have to start wars for, as long as you have an army available.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

CommissarMega posted:

gently caress yes Skaven :allears: I hope Ikit Claw and/or Thanquol are among their Legendary Lords, can't imagine playing the Skaven and not being allowed either of them.

In the case the latter is effectively present, we need an option to recruit Gotrek and Felix........

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Skaven were always one of my favorite factions to play against.
Guaranteed carnage, one way or the other, but typically both ways.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I hope that after they add the Skaven we get Hobgoblins, the one race more treacherous than the Skaven. They have boney humps because literal back-stabbing is so prevalent in their "society".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

White Coke posted:

I hope that after they add the Skaven we get Hobgoblins, the one race more treacherous than the Skaven. They have boney humps because literal back-stabbing is so prevalent in their "society".

We won't. At most, hobgoblins will be part of the Chaos Dwarfs.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
What about halflings? future DLC race?

It would be amazing to do a world conquest with a halfling Legendary Lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kanthulhu posted:

What about halflings? future DLC race?

It would be amazing to do a world conquest with a halfling Legendary Lord.

The Warhammer halflings are notable for two things: one, they have a vote for Emperor, courtesy of Ludwig the Fat being notably greedy even for an emperor, two, they have some very good vampire hunters, on the grounds that since they border Sylvania they get an awful lot of practice.

• Locked thread