Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's a shame, I was enjoying this a lot. I hope if you do restart you can find a way to get around the no-backups thing. It's dumb that you can't separate the difficulty from the danger of irretrievable campaign loss like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I think it is possible to get backups of legendary saves. I'll try to remember to start doing that in round 2. It may have been caused by the custom map mods that were on in the beginning and then turned off or maybe it was a bug with the chaos invasion, but just in case this time it'll be purely vanilla.

Risen from the grave (again)

Starting a new campaign, here's how things diverged between turns one to twenty:

Zelig has ruin-dweller this time instead of opportunist so he'll make an even better vassal now.

---

When Isabella laid siege in the old save to Castle Templehof, one of the Vampires was kept in Schwartzhafen to pray and increase growth. This time I brought both vampires with Isabella and it made Templehof too afraid to fight me so they let Templehof and Fort Oberstyre get taken and ran to Waldenhof.

Mannfred took Eschen again, but this time Templehof's army was still on their feet so they attacked Eschen on their turn and failed, causing a massive 4897 casualties. When Mannfred was then destroyed by Isabella on turn 8, it lead to a raise dead pool which included one of every undead unit in the game and dozens of skeletons. That's pretty crazy to have in Sylvania at turn 9.

---

The Red Eyez managed to take Karak Kadrin themselves early on, but the Red Eyez don't have the Vampiric Influence trait this time around so they hate the von Carsteins.

---

There are random events that will give you certain types of agents. Necromancers are great early on because they can reduce build costs in a province by -20% when they're deployed and the only way to get them otherwise is to build an expensive tier IV building, the necromancer tower. -20% may not seem like a lot but in a full campaign you'll probably use at least 1-2,000,000 dark magic so it adds up.

The necromancer's first utility skill lowers costs by another -10%. Necromancers deployed in provinces will get traits eventually that improve the income of the region they're standing in so you want to keep one deployed outside Templehof and Drakenhof, and any other well developed province capitals, but then also having one or two to shuffle between the provinces before you start a wave of construction.

They can also attach to armies and fight in battles. They have access to the lore of Vampires and can use a skeletal horse, or corpse carts as mounts. When they use the cart mounts they get access to the corpse cart auras.

---

Averland declared war on around turn 5. About turn 12 I watched them lay an ambush near the Moot and intentionally walked Vlad into it, killed them and took the province of Averland. You can see the AI lay an ambush if you're watching a stack move and suddenly it disappears but you have to have the AI turn speed set to normal instead of fast or you'll probably miss it. I keep it on normal for this to take screenshots.

---

Political, relations, vampiric corruption

---

Instead of constructing Sylvania the same way, I invested first in western Sylvania and built an Ancient Armoury at Castle Templehof to unlock grave guard as soon as possible and built the level two cemetery in Fort Oberstyre since you need both to recruit grave guard.

The ghost fence is the first tier garrison building that you can build only in provincial capitals. It improves tower attacks and gives an increased garrison and some better defensive siege stats. The tier III and IV versions will give even stronger tower projectiles and a stronger garrison. If you take a province with low corruption and don't want to keep an army garrisoned there constantly or are worried about nearby factions, building the ghost fence will make the town able to repel most rebel stacks on their own, especially if you raise a lord at the town before it's besieged.

---

Isabella has a much stronger army already this time around with a core of grave guard, with room to raise elite units from the killing fields of Eschen.

No Staff of Damnation this time but the Helm of Discord is about as good, and the ironic 'Lively' trait that was gained for some reason gives more campaign range. I'll probably show what all of these items do when they come up.

---

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 15, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And welcome back!

A question as I thought of your plan for the pet Templehof. Do vassal's provinces count for Imperium for the purpose of triggering the Chaos invasion or are they pretty much free territory?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

ZearothK posted:

And welcome back!

A question as I thought of your plan for the pet Templehof. Do vassal's provinces count for Imperium for the purpose of triggering the Chaos invasion or are they pretty much free territory?

I'm not sure but I think they do count for the missions to occupy X amount of settlements so probably counts for Imperium.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Would you consider moving south to take over the Border Princes/Tilea? Seems like it would be a good way to expand without aggravating the other Elector Counts. Plus, they have a whole bunch of ports for income. Then again, you'd be right next door to the Dorfs instead.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

8185 total corpses :stare:

At some point you wonder why VC even need to build recruitment structures.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Would you consider moving south to take over the Border Princes/Tilea? Seems like it would be a good way to expand without aggravating the other Elector Counts. Plus, they have a whole bunch of ports for income. Then again, you'd be right next door to the Dorfs instead.

That's what I did on my first VC campaign when the game came out. In this screenshot I just noticed I was allied with Karak Kadrin. Not sure how I got on their good side but they rescued one of my towns from Archaeon at one point. In this campaign I think I'll eventually at least take the Border Prince town south of Blackfire Pass but probably won't go as far as Estalia or Tilea. For anyone who plans on fighting that way, I'd recommend these mods:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=708051537
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=857788336

It gives Estalia, Tilea and the Border Princes some flavor so you're not just fighting factions that are clones of the Empire.

If you expand south, you can get a lot of income going from the ports since most of the towns there are coastal, but you'll be stretched pretty thin and have to deal with wood elves eventually and the Clan Angrund dwarfs, and possibly greenskin tribes. It takes a long time to march armies around down there so it's hard to defend, but it's mostly safe from Chaos. If you want to try to wait Chaos out they'll eventually burn down the Empire. It's kind've anti-climactic but if you turtle along the Stir river and expand south eventually Chaos will probably raze everything to the north of you, unless Kislev or the Empire gets a really good start and are able to contain them, but usually it's up to the player to end the Chaos invasion.

Instead of going west or south the other option is expanding north into Kislev and then stopping the chaos invasion single-handedly. The 'good' guys will love you for it, and it's possible to ally that way with the Empire, Dwarfs or Bretonnians, but after the Warriors of Chaos are gone those alliances will usually fall apart and then with none of the other outcast factions left like greenskins, beastmen, or chaos, the whole world will focus on destroying you. You could probably keep some alliances going with huge bribes but this is the toughest way to go. If you let the Empire prosper it's going to make things a lot more difficult in the end.

wiegieman posted:

8185 total corpses :stare:

At some point you wonder why VC even need to build recruitment structures.

Yeah, with a corpse pile like that there's not much point to some of the recruitment buildings. It does take time to restock the raise dead pool I guess so if in the end game you wanted to raise up a lot of the same type of elite unit you'd still need the buildings.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 15, 2017

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Just noticed that the Wood Elf settlement garrison, if you build the building that gets you eagle riders as garrison, can actually slowly wittle down chaos stacks. You hide your infantry in a forest, and fly around with your guys, taking out warmachines and the ocassional overcheeky marauder horsemen. Once you done so, later fights (that stack had like 6 heroes in it) mostly involve your eagle riders shooting the enemy until they run out of ammo while making funny faces at them. Because the AI sees some of your units, they will not attempt to send out scouts for the remaining units.

Pretty cheesy though.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Mightypeon posted:

Just noticed that the Wood Elf settlement garrison, if you build the building that gets you eagle riders as garrison, can actually slowly wittle down chaos stacks. You hide your infantry in a forest, and fly around with your guys, taking out warmachines and the ocassional overcheeky marauder horsemen. Once you done so, later fights (that stack had like 6 heroes in it) mostly involve your eagle riders shooting the enemy until they run out of ammo while making funny faces at them. Because the AI sees some of your units, they will not attempt to send out scouts for the remaining units.

Pretty cheesy though.

I know you probably meant that in the Empire lp, but that reminded me of the cheesiest build I've fought in ~400-500 multiplayer matches. For anyone who doesn't know wood elf units, the heroes are waystalkers who have the stalk trait so you can't see them until you get close, and the rest of the army is hawk riders which are flying ranged units so unless you take an all flying army there's nothing you can do about it. There's a mechanic where if your army only has units in the air you'll start to lose leadership until your whole army routs, but by having two hidden heroes on the ground that doesn't happen. I really don't like fighting wood elves in the campaign or multiplayer.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

That is simultaneously super lame and exactly what I expect from the wood elves.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Vampire Counts should get some kind of ranged unit, like skeletal archers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

White Coke posted:

Skeleton archers are the Tomb Kings' thing. In this game as on the tabletop, ranged just isn't the Counts' thing.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

White Coke posted:

They do have some units with ranged damage options. Vampires have lore of Death which has Spirit Leech and Fate of Bjuna doing very good damage to single unit models and medium sized groups of elite units respectively.

And Necromancers/Mannfred have lore of Vampires which has Gaze of Nagash; a powerful magical attack that is basically a super-powerful artillery shot

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Kind of weird, Wood Elfs feel like a "DLC paid content and thus much better then rest" race in a way Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos do not.

You have the greatest variety of cheese in the game, a lot of amazing units and if you win a battle you typically get a wipe since your dudes are sooo much faster then most enemies.

I got a lot better at this game after I ditched any notion of units behaving like their Tabletop equivalents (f.e. Chariots are incredibly and insanely vulnerable to heroes in the table top, to the point that heroes packing native S5 (iirc Lizards, Chaos, Black Orcs, some Dwarfs) who have a 2 hand weapon can one shot it.

Wardancers and mages (tabletop normal mage is pretty much as hard to kill as 2 average joes. In the game it is more like 30ish joes) are also much tougher then in the tabletop.

The number of heroes who can cut down an entire unit is pretty limited in tabletop, while in the game pretty much every hero who is not a pure mage can do that.

Also, heroes who, in tabletop, would never willingly go near a Vampire/Chaos Warrior actually have really good chances against them.

Other then Orcs, people also rout much slower and far more predictably then in tabletop.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mightypeon posted:

The number of heroes who can cut down an entire unit is pretty limited in tabletop, while in the game pretty much every hero who is not a pure mage can do that.

Overall yeah this is a Total War game more than it is a Warhammer game, and for tabletop fans you have to make that mental adjustment. Heroes are beefier here than the tabletop game because you can't embed them into larger units. Saying that a wizard or captain were only as strong as two dudes is ignoring the fact that you had to chew through a thirty-man unit to even attack them.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mightypeon posted:

Kind of weird, Wood Elfs feel like a "DLC paid content and thus much better then rest" race in a way Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos do not.

What the DLC races (not counting Chaos, obviously) really benefit from is the new Characters and Campaign Army Buffs being way better than the very conservative design of the original factions.

Wood Elves are monsters in campaign and like, mid-tier in Multiplayer where they don't get all those techs and skill bonuses.

Beastmen actually get all kinds of crazy Single Player buffs too they just suck as an AI controlled faction and most of their Legendary Lords came before the "Actually, Legendary Lords should be bananas" design shift that started with Vlad. The DLC/FLC subfactions also tend to be way better than the originals, see Vlad, Skarsnik, Grombrindal, Morghur, ect.

Brettonia is kind of a weird counter-example because they're really strong but have barely any skills or techs that buff units at all in Campaign. Those special buildings and General traits, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

madmac posted:

What the DLC races (not counting Chaos, obviously) really benefit from is the new Characters and Campaign Army Buffs being way better than the very conservative design of the original factions.

Wood Elves are monsters in campaign and like, mid-tier in Multiplayer where they don't get all those techs and skill bonuses.

Beastmen actually get all kinds of crazy Single Player buffs too they just suck as an AI controlled faction and most of their Legendary Lords came before the "Actually, Legendary Lords should be bananas" design shift that started with Vlad. The DLC/FLC subfactions also tend to be way better than the originals, see Vlad, Skarsnik, Grombrindal, Morghur, ect.

Brettonia is kind of a weird counter-example because they're really strong but have barely any skills or techs that buff units at all in Campaign. Those special buildings and General traits, though.

Morghur is awesome in a game of mine, he more or less defeated an entire wood elf army on his own after all the others in my army had routed.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 17, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Morghur's regeneration shield + chaos spawn stuff is literal weapons grade bullshit though.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Triskelli posted:

Overall yeah this is a Total War game more than it is a Warhammer game, and for tabletop fans you have to make that mental adjustment. Heroes are beefier here than the tabletop game because you can't embed them into larger units. Saying that a wizard or captain were only as strong as two dudes is ignoring the fact that you had to chew through a thirty-man unit to even attack them.

If you get into close combat with that unit, you just direct your base to base models to attack the mage, who then dies about as easier, actually often even easier, as 2 normal dudes.
Being in a unit gives you a meatshield against ranged firepower though. Most mages hightail the gently caress out of units about to be charged, Skaven iirc still have their hilarious rule where mages etc. can lead a unit from the rear.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mightypeon posted:

If you get into close combat with that unit, you just direct your base to base models to attack the mage, who then dies about as easier, actually often even easier, as 2 normal dudes.
Being in a unit gives you a meatshield against ranged firepower though. Most mages hightail the gently caress out of units about to be charged, Skaven iirc still have their hilarious rule where mages etc. can lead a unit from the rear.

Hey, leading from the rear is a prestigious position I'll have you know. Exactly the same as not having to accept some stupid duel from a Chaos Champion 5 times your size, with unbreakable armor, a weapon possessed by a greater demon and a couple extra arms carrying swords who's buzzsawed through every unit on the field so far all by his lonesome.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turns 21-24

Averland is already corrupt enough that this rebellion won't be Averlander seperatists. It'll be a vampiric rebellion, which usually have a lot of grave guard and crypt horrors so they're stronger than the average Imperial rebel scum.

---

In the alternate reality, Vlad and Isabella had to run from Zhufbar but rushing grave guard gives you an infantry that can beat the early tier dwarf warriors.

---

Having a +8000 corpse pile doesn't hurt either. There's not enough income yet to support more than a few high tier units so Isabella raises Mannfred's pet Varghulf and a corpse cart roaming the battle site is drafted into Isabella's army. Varghulfs are great against dwarfs as long as you can keep ranged fire off them and their leadership up. The corpse cart with a lodestone is the highest tier corpse cart. It has two 40 meter auras. One is healing and the other is 8+ melee attack and defense so it'll help skeletons hold their own and give grave guard even more of an upper hand.

The Banner of Eternal Flame is hoisted onto the corpse cart, so the corpse cart will also give everything near it fire damage to their attack. From what I can tell, fire attacks doesn't mean extra damage done to most units, it seems to just help against anything that has fire weakness like wood elf trees and anything with the regeneration trait like crypt horrors and varghulfs. Isabella is carrying a banner herself, the Banner of Swiftness which increases her speed slightly.

---

On the next turn, Barudin Stoneheart fortifies Zhufbar Keep, so Isabella strikes out at nearby Oakenhammer. Since it's just the garrison of a minor settlement, the battle is autoresolved and the town ransacked.

A scroll of power is discovered during the looting. It'll lower a spell's cooldown by 90 seconds in exchange for a 100% miscast rate.

---

The dark magic from sacking Oakenhammer goes into upgrading the gold mining operations at Drakenhof and building the Mausoleum of the Mad Count.

---

Wolfram Hertwig, Elector Count of Ostermark and Prince of Bechafen offers the olive branch, but without any tribute their offer is declined. They're at war with the Empire, Red Eyez, Kislev, and Sylvania so there's not much reason to bow out now.

---

One of the downsides to having a vassal is they'll get declared on pretty often. I'm not sure but it seems like the AI is afraid to declare on you if you're a lot stronger than they are but doesn't take you into account when attacking your vassals.

Wissenland declares on Templehof and the von Carsteins answer the call. Wissenland stands alone. Karl Franz is disgusted with them for some reason and they're at war with Stirland, reducing them to just The Moot. Their only friend is Karak Hirn but they're not officially allies.

---

On the next turn, Isabella is ready to take on Zhufbar Keep.

"Zhufbar is located in the Worlds Edge Mountains on the borders of the Empire, nestled in a deep chasm under the dark mountain lake known as Black Water. High above the city a huge waterfall cascades from the lake and rushes down the chasm. Long ago, Dwarf engineers were able to build machines to capture the energy of the swift flowing torrent, to power drop hammers, ore crushers, washing pans and other mining and metalworking constructs. The city contains the principle shrine for the Dwarf Engineers Guild and it is a centre for smithing and every kind of industry. It was from here that the Dwarfs first passed on the knowledge of metalworking and engineering to the humans of the Empire, and engineers from both races have had a close relationship ever since. The noise of mining and industry resounds though Zhufbar constantly, and at night the chasm glows with the light of a thousand furnace fires as the siege engines and steam-powered machines of the Dwarfs are assembled around the clock."

Battle of Zhufbar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6zTvJ1a3E0

Isabella, her new pet Varghulf and the Black Knights rush to take down the gate while the varghulfs fly over the walls and the grave guard climb them with siege ladders. The dead don't flee, but you can a unit to retreat off the battlefield. The vargheists escape because there's too much ranged fire coming from all the quarrelers and bolt throwers and they start to crumble. Some of the dwarf bolt throwers hit their own defenders on the walls trying to shoot over them. The grave guard start to work through the dwarf warriors on the walls while the Varghulf runs amok on the ground level. I lost track of the Black Knights and they went down fighting Barundin Stoneheart but at this point they're expendable. It's probably better to use that upkeep on something else now that there's more options. After that the fight eventually goes to the city center. You can win siege battles by clearing out the city center and holding it for 200 seconds but usually they'll keep most of their army defending the walls and gate and some units defending the main plaza so you can't sneak in and grab it, and flying units can't capture gates, towers or the plaza.

---

Isabella ranks up and gets the first point in The Ravening Beast. More armor to the vargheists will help them last in a brawl and dampen ranged fire damage.

The first half of the necromancer skill tree. Paulos gets Prime Mover first to get another 10% off on construction costs. Advisor gives more income to the region they're deployed in so that'll be next. The necromancer will linger in Isabella's entourage until he gets to rank 5 and has 3 points in Advisor. After that he can be deployed to Castle Drakenhof. If you deploy a hero on the campaign map, they'll rank up very slowly. You get levels from battles and taking actions against enemy heroes, armies or settlements like assassination and sabotage.

---

Karak Hirn is pushed over the edge after seeing their dwarf neighbors put to the sword and decide to follow the lead of their friends in Wissenland right off the cliff.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 18, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZearothK posted:

Karak Hirn is easily the most annoying faction in the entire game. If you are the Elves, Vampires or Empire they will declare war on you just because you happened to share a continent with them, same with the Bretonnian factions by the midgame. I always make a point of razing them.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I'm really glad you restarted this campaign.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I have a question

What is the point of extra cooldown reduction if it gives you 100% miscast chance?

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

I have a question

What is the point of extra cooldown reduction if it gives you 100% miscast chance?

At one point there was a hilarious synergy/bug (not sure if its fixed) with Witch-hunters, where if they were equipped with both the fireball ring and a scroll of power, you could pop them both and they'd machinegun out fireballs from their pistol.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Morbidmind posted:

At one point there was a hilarious synergy/bug (not sure if its fixed) with Witch-hunters, where if they were equipped with both the fireball ring and a scroll of power, you could pop them both and they'd machinegun out fireballs from their pistol.

I believe that's called "summon Sienna Fuegonasus" in common parlance.

Anyways, the point of the item is to allow you to quickly recast a spell at the cost of your Wizard's health. It is usually seen in multiplayer on the Light Wizard to cast the Net spell (which locks units in place) twice against tight formations, letting you spend over a minute just shooting the poor bastards, but it could potentially be game-changing by essentially doubling the duration of any other buff spell at a critical juncture.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

I have a question

When you miscast, the spell still works, but the caster takes some damage. It's kind've a misleading name for it

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It should really be called "backlash chance"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Miscasts are nowhere near as dangerous in game as they are on tabletop, where they could do anything from scorch your wizard to suck them into the warp permanently.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Or blow up your Wizard and everyone around him. Really bad if your Wizard is a very expensive Slann Lord in a very expensive unit of temple guard, and even worse if right next to him is your ablative challenge acceptor who has a heart of woe (explode violently on death) and triggers a chain reaction of explosions.

Other then High Elfs and Dwarfs, everyone can blow himself up in ways you would only expect from Skaven and Orcs.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
This LP convinced me to try out my copy of TW:WH. Mind if I ask two super-newbie :orks101: questions?

1.) I feel like I'm really under the gun to finish the first "crush your rival Warboss" / "babby's first siege" quest ASAP, but a preliminary attempt convinced me that his army + the garrison were a little too much for me to handle. Do I actually need to rush, or is that just a false sense of urgency; and if there is some time-pressure there, is there any way to bait him out or do I just need to suck less in the tactical battle?

2.) How does one deal with super-fast archer skirmishers like, e.g., the Goblin Wolf Chariots that seem to outpace literally everything I have access to?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

Ghost of Starman posted:

This LP convinced me to try out my copy of TW:WH. Mind if I ask two super-newbie :orks101: questions?

1.) I feel like I'm really under the gun to finish the first "crush your rival Warboss" / "babby's first siege" quest ASAP, but a preliminary attempt convinced me that his army + the garrison were a little too much for me to handle. Do I actually need to rush, or is that just a false sense of urgency; and if there is some time-pressure there, is there any way to bait him out or do I just need to suck less in the tactical battle?

2.) How does one deal with super-fast archer skirmishers like, e.g., the Goblin Wolf Chariots that seem to outpace literally everything I have access to?

There's no huge time rush - you can safely take a few turns to recruit some more units. Just keep in mind, the other side will have time to build up too.

Skirmishers die badly to any on-foot ranged, or you can try to encircle them. Unless the ai brought a stupid number of them, chasing them off with ranged fire is usually enough to keep them from being effective.

Chariots are a bit of a special case where in the ai's hands they're particularly obnoxious - tons of ranged fire or cavalry is your best bet.

DarthRoblox fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 21, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Chariots die to things they can't push around, which means monsters or cavalry that aren't wolf riders.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

This is meant to be like a tutorial so anyone who has any questions can feel free

1. There's no rush to crush the rival warboss. You'll want to beat their army and take their closest few towns, but crushing the dwarfs main faction after that is more important so they can't confederate. When you do recruit, just get mostly orc boyz and a few goblins, maybe 1-2 archers but not more than that. Orc arrer boyz and goblin archers aren't great and the rest of the greenskin/dwarf infantry you'll be fighting has shields so you want to get mostly orc boyz and some goblin spears. It takes 17 units in a stack to be able to get a waaagh going, so you want to get that as soon as you can. It'll be almost impossible to beat dwarfs early on without a waaagh because orc boyz will get demolished by dwarf warriors.

Other good units to get early are goblin rock lobbers and try to upgrade past orc boyz. The higher tier greenskin infantry will do better against dwarf warriors. Nasty skulkerz have armor piercing so if you have those they'll trade pretty well against dwarfs but I think nasty skulkerz come with the King and the Warlord DLC but I'm not sure. Squigs too.

2. Yeah ranged or anti-large cav like orc boar boyz to take down chariots. The goblin archer chariots are mostly harmless from what I remember. It's the melee chariots you'll need to worry about. If you don't have any ranged or anti-large, you can try to bulk up your infantry line so they can't cut through it as easily but that might just make it worse. Not sure if they would actually get stuck.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Trujillo posted:

When you miscast, the spell still works, but the caster takes some damage. It's kind've a misleading name for it

Cool. Thanks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm happy that this LP restarted. The one time I played Vampire Counts, I'm guessing Karl Franz got his teeth kicked in early on, because when I got to the Empire, he had only the capital and I never actually found his armies (if any).

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Much appreciated, although I think I screwed up:
it's turn 20-something, and although I've taken 2 of the Red Fangs' other settlements, I still haven't got the one I was given the quest for (Iron Rock, the one right around the corner from my starting capital). Now it's got a garrison of 12, and Wotisname Rotgut has an army of 19 or so. :ohdear:
I mean, I can probably still take 'em... just wondering if I should've squashed him sooner.

Anyways: suggestions for which upgrade path to follow on Grimgor, and on Orc Lords in general? (I went down the bottom line w/ Grimgor to start, for +campaign movement and bonuses to raiding, but I'd kind of like to turn him into just a melee wreckingball eventually).

(Edit: Spoilers, it all worked out. 4 units of Big 'Uns solves a lot of problems. :orks101: And as soon as I get my first Waaagh!, I'm gonna stomp on some Stunties. I'll shut up about Orks in this Vampire Counts thread now. :shobon: )

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 23, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

(Edit: Spoilers, it all worked out. 4 units of Big 'Uns solves a lot of problems. :orks101: And as soon as I get my first Waaagh!, I'm gonna stomp on some Stunties. I'll shut up about Orks in this Vampire Counts thread now. :shobon: )

That's good, and I don't mind talk or questions about other factions in the thread

Been holding off on doing the next set of turns because I'm going to do some maintenance/upgrades into my computer in the next few days. It's been running strangely and I think some of the problem with animations stuttering in some of the videos might be because of that so hopefully the battles will look better.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 23, 2017

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Trujillo posted:

Been holding off on doing the next set of turns because I'm going to do some maintenance/upgrades into my computer in the next few days. It's been running strangely and I think some of the problem with animations stuttering in some of the videos might be because of that so hopefully the battles will look better.

Given that the framerate itself seems healthy and the stuttering disappears the instant when an army is completely routed (IE no longer making any decisions) it would seem your processor is being slightly overloaded by the large battles and recording. Hopefully what you've got planned is effective.
Even if not, I'm enjoying this as is, even with the occasional stuttery video.

E: Wait you're recording these with the replay function or similar? Hmm :/ There goes that theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Teledahn posted:

Given that the framerate itself seems healthy and the stuttering disappears the instant when an army is completely routed (IE no longer making any decisions) it would seem your processor is being slightly overloaded by the large battles and recording. Hopefully what you've got planned is effective.
Even if not, I'm enjoying this as is, even with the occasional stuttery video.

E: Wait you're recording these with the replay function or similar? Hmm :/ There goes that theory.

I'm recording them from replays but I've looked it up after it started happening and it's a thing Total War games do, think it is because the CPU. I've played ahead a bit and sort've unintentionally avoided it by not bringing overwhelming numbers until I can buy a better CPU.

• Locked thread