Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Crazycryodude posted:

Does this even represent the naval war? It's an AGEOD game so I'm assuming it uses some unholy abomination of cards and off-board boxes or something to try and approximate it.
Well, the next game down the line - a TBD English Civil War game - seems to have ships, so dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Crazycryodude posted:

Does this even represent the naval war? It's an AGEOD game so I'm assuming it uses some unholy abomination of cards and off-board boxes or something to try and approximate it.

Off-board boxes for sure. I'm not sure if there are any naval decision cards (I'm playing EE in my only "serious" PBEM game and I'm only 4 turns in; I can't get more than a few turns playing solo as CP before giving up in despair), but naval units themselves are represented in the same way that they were in CW2, for example, as units with leaders and so on. There's also commerce raiding, U-boats, and Blockades, but, again, I've not played a game far enough to see how exactly they work.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
And the Central powers get a narrow win!

I'll get on the post now, but its a bit late, so I may have to finish up tomorrow.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Archduke has just been assassinated.

While war is by no means certain at this point, the hawks in both Germany and Austria-Hungary are doing their best to spin this into a general conflict – worried that both Germanic countries will soon be eclipsed and marginalized by the rest of Europe.

We have a lot of land to fight over, but as the Archduke has only just been assassinated, there are no troops raised.

Here are our resources, the only one that really need explaining is Engagement points – these are use to fire special events and cards that will help us win the war.

Our objectives are the capital cities of mainland Europe. No worrying about all the tiny towns here!
Most of the options are locked or unavailable at this time, but we need to pick something very important.

We need to pick two warplans, one for Germany and one for Austria-Hungary. A warplan is a very important choice, as it will control where our troops are stationed when they are called up. While we will be able to move troops around, trying to back out of a warplan will be hard, as there is a limit on how many troops we can move by rail in a two week period.
This will be our choice here. This will shape our war.

Lets look at the German plans.
1) The Schlieffen Plan.

This is the historical push through Belgium that failed in real life, but worked in World War 2. Did it fail due to bad planning, bad luck or because the Germans weakened it reacting to Western Entente moves? Do we try and win on the Western Front?

2) The Moltke Plan.

General Moltke suggests bringing all our might on Russia, attempting to knock them out before they can mobilize properly. This will give the Western Entente a morale boost, but will also bolster the morale of Austria.

3) The Kronprinz Plan.

The Kronprinz favours a defensive war, where the Allies will die in droves upon our defences. The people will not like this plan however, as they expect us to do all we can to win the war quickly.

4) The Rupprecht Plan.

This switches the Western front from a northern attack to a southern one, going through neutral Switzerland and angering Italy.

For the Austrians, We have the following plans.

A) The Konrad Plan.

Under this plan, Austria-Hungary will divide their attentions between Serbia and Russia. The Serbians should fall quickly then the Austrian troops will be able to focus all their attention on the Russians.

B) The Kaiser Plan.

Serbia is to be ignored in favour of knocking Russia out of the war – at which point we can mop up the annoying Serbs.

C) The Koenig Plan.

This plan sees Austria-Hunbary going all out to smash Serbia then moving on to Russia. The hope is to wipe out the smaller Serb army before moving on to the larger – and hopefully slower to mobilize – Russian army.

D) The Prinz Plan.

This is Austria's defensive plan, and would anger the people who expect us to be attacking someone, seeing as we have just started this war. But it would allow us to make the best use of defensive terrain.

Please vote for your preferred war plans. Format is 1A, 2C ect.

I'm interested to see how this one plays out.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

4B

Historical paths are boring, let's violate Swiss neutrality and ignore the entire reason this war started in the first place. Also, I assume pissing off Italy instead of the British means we can get away without the Royal Navy blockading us for a little while longer.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 28, 2017

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
2B
Wipe the Russians out, then deal with the French and Serbs at our leisure!

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

2C. Let's knock out Serbia asap and compensate for a-h weakness against Russia with the Moltke plan

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
2B Let's try and diminish our number of opponents by knocking one out quick and by not steping on any toes.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Germany-2. The advantages this gives us are a much slower shift of Britain into the Entente, time to bleed out the French in the West, and to ensure over that Austria-Hungary has proper support in dealing with Russia. While it's highly unlikely we can take Russia, we can smash the Russian bear hard and help keep the Austrian Armies intact, while giving our enemies minimal political fodder to chase us with. while the English are virtually guaranteed to come to the aid of the French, doing so without a legitimate causus belli will lead to a great deal of public unrest, which hopefully will slow them. And on the defense we can hold the Ardennes and Alsace-Lorraine virtually forever - the ground is narrow, easily fortified, and it can be a kill zone for heavy artillery and is easily entrenched. And if the French think of going through Belgium, the Belgians will go to war on our side, the British will eat crow, and we can easily redeploy armies. We will not take out the French early, but we can bleed them forever on the defense and then when they have blunted their edge on our forts, we can pulverize them and bleed them white.

And voting for Austria-3. The Serbians assassinated our beloved Archduke, we shall not stand for this. We should hold in the East and bring the majority of our armies to bear against Serbia. Thus they will feel the revenge for thier act of perfidity and we can hold against the Russians. THen when Serbia has been neutralized we can concentrate all of our armies on one front rather than having to split. Serbia is a festering sore, it can be dealt with quickly. We should mobilize against Russia for defnse in depth, break the back of Serbia and seize thier entire country, then shift our arms to the Russians.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Germany 4

If WWII taught us anything it's that the Italians are very bad at war, so angering them seems safe.

Austria C

Blood for the Archduke! Skulls for the Serb pile!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
2C

Death to Zerbs. Also, let's get a soviet union!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

1C, let's see the British justify invasion this time!

2C, historically Serbia proved way tougher than assumed, and this was we can actually accomplish Plan A's objective.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

2C, only sensible choice.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kavak posted:

1C, let's see the British justify invasion this time!

Uh, pretty sure option 1 is going to bring the Brits into the fight every time - Serbia/Russia had almost nothing to do with it.

I vote 2C to keep the Brits out of it, and start propping up AH early!

VonCrunchhausen
Mar 15, 2015

Plan 4

All this hullabaloo about the Russians and the French distracts us from the true menace on the continent: the Swiss! And who have the Swiss consistently fought for as mercenaries? The Italians! We need to wipe both of them out once and for all in order to secure our hegemony!

Plan C

Might as well get Serbia out of the way while we can.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I thought 1C was the defensive plan. Uh oh.

Change vote to Kronprinz and Koenig

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Kavak posted:

I thought 1C was the defensive plan. Uh oh.

Change vote to Kronprinz and Koenig

3D would be the defensive plans.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
2B When in doubt, invade Russia.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
2C
One front at a time. The eastern front promises the easier path to a quick victory, after which we can turn our attention to the west. Austria focusing on Serbia first to eliminate that distraction before joining forces with the German allies.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 28, 2017

sum
Nov 15, 2010

1A. I bet not pissing off the UK makes the game a lot easier and easy games are boring

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
4C four teh win. Fighting in mountainous terrain and ignoring Russian isn't stupid at allĄ

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

4D

If there's one thing I've learned from playing ww1 games, Austria should not attack anyone at all and the Belgians are combat demons who will frustrate all advances, while the Swiss are a peaceful chocolate loving people who will allow us to march through.

Hmmm. Wait, something isn't right here....

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

2B Once again casting my vote for Russia.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

2C
One front at a time. The eastern front promises the easier path to a quick victory, after which we can turn our attention to the west. Austria focusing on Serbia first to eliminate that distraction before joining forces with the German allies.

An undue Austro-Hungarian focus on Serbia (though not as great as this would represent) was a thing that drove a lot of German military planners up the walls, it frustrated their plans for dealing with Russia in the east with minimal forces and it became even more of a liability when the Austro-Hungarians did what they do best and were humiliated on the battlefield.

I say let's just go with the Schlieffen plan, fatalism and just accepting a two front war from the outset is a very era-appropriate thing to do for Germany.

1C (Also full focus on Serbia, let's see the imperial army gently caress this up)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Randarkman posted:

1C (Also full focus on Serbia, let's see the imperial army gently caress this up)

Maybe they could misread thier maps and invade Bulgaria and/or Romania instead?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

1D

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

In game, how much does it take to knock Russia out of the war? Would taking St. Petersburg and Moscow be enough?

I only ask because we just saw an ageod with flawed win condditions.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
2B or not 2B, that is the question

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
4C sounds like an interesting gamble.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
2C

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

4C. What's the point of this if we don't go full pants-on-head saying "das Wibble" alt-hist?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Trin Tragula posted:

4C. What's the point of this if we don't go full pants-on-head saying "das Wibble" alt-hist?

I agree with this logic.

4C

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
2B: Fall Blau

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
1C

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
2C

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

3D. The Central Powers only chance is to bleed our enemies white before we launch our offensive.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Randarkman posted:

An undue Austro-Hungarian focus on Serbia (though not as great as this would represent) was a thing that drove a lot of German military planners up the walls, it frustrated their plans for dealing with Russia in the east with minimal forces and it became even more of a liability when the Austro-Hungarians did what they do best and were humiliated on the battlefield.
Good thing the Moltke Plan is not "dealing with Russia in the east with minimal forces". :smugdog:, but with a Pickelhaube

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

2B

Lets acquire some Lebensraum!!!

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
2B

When pincered, attack the weaker prong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
2A

Keep the pressure up on Serbia while knocking out the Russians.

• Locked thread