Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll try and remember to show the pre battle screen - I'd love to show the screen that shows WHERE THE BATTLE IS TAKING PLACE, but for some reason nothing I do allows me to get a screenshot, so you have to live with the end of battle report.

Ctrl-PrtSc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I vote for pissing away money on Itallians, Austria is a worthless ally, but hopefully we can finish off the Russians which will free up their troops, bringing Italy into the Central Powers would let us put more bodies on the Western Front, and they can also send some troops to fight the Serbs.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Wait, why was von Moltke sacked for not taking paris if taking paris was not part of the plan?:psyduck:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Maslovo posted:

Wait, why was von Moltke sacked for not taking paris if taking paris was not part of the plan?:psyduck:

Event text presumably doesn't change depending on battle plans. The Kaiser sacked him because the war wasn't over by Christmas.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Kavak posted:

Event text presumably doesn't change depending on battle plans. The Kaiser sacked him because the war wasn't over by Christmas.

tbh, sacking the Supreme Command after Russia nearly seized Koenigsberg in response to a Russia-focused German deployment seems pretty reasonable

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

MANime in the sheets posted:

I'd vote we wait on Turkey for now, just because everything the CP brings in is going to siphon German troops away as stiffener. We just lost a battle in Metz, and the Russians aren't hurt substantially yet. Bulgaria doesn't hurt us at all though, will probably help bring a faster end to Serbia.

Possibly the opposite, actually: recognizing Bulgaria's wargoals means losing Romania, who we will then have to fight through to get to Serbia. Of course, if we haven't been sending diplomats to Romania at all, then they might already be a lost cause, and they aren't that difficult to beat...but it still slows us down. Delaying Ottoman and Bulgarian entry into the war so we can snag Romania and keep a few countries neutral can definitely be worth it if it's a realistic possibility.

Italy is...more difficult: those concessions will hurt bad if Italy ends up joining the entente (which is always a crap shoot, unless the entente is being curb-stomped), but keeping them neutral for a long time means more bodies to throw at our current enemies. I'll need to think on it :shrug:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Romania will not join the war on our side, for the simple reason that Austria controls vast portions of land that they consider to be there. Trying to entice Romania will at best delay their entry into the war.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Let nature take its course!

By which I mean let's let Austria fight someone shittier than them for a change.\

Let them fight Italy.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Yeah im not particularly worried about Italy entering. The cost to placate them is too high anyway.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

A White Guy posted:

Romania will not join the war on our side, for the simple reason that Austria controls vast portions of land that they consider to be there. Trying to entice Romania will at best delay their entry into the war.

It's possible for any of the Balkan nations to enter either side, and Romania specifically begins moving towards the CP if their Alignment is > 70%. Losing 30% support by backing Bulgaria crushes that, and the further 10% move towards the Entente caused by Bulgaria joining the CP results in a declaration of war, which is why it's a haphazard option.

Bear in mind, Romania also gives agricultural aid if their CP alignment is at >20% (as does Italy and Belgium, but good luck with that), which can slightly reduce the chances of rebellion in Germany.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pershing posted:

Yeah im not particularly worried about Italy entering. The cost to placate them is too high anyway.

I think there was this kind of joke around WWII in Germany about the worth of Italy as an ally. Hitler is told that Italy has entered the war. He responds that there is no reason to worry and that 2 divisions should be enough to settle the matter. He is then informed that "no, you misunderstand, Italy entered the war on our side!". Hitler responds that this changes things, send 10 divisions instead.

At least I think it was WWII. Might just as well have been about WWI where it was much more unclear which side Italy was going to end up on.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

quote:

At a dinner with Churchill, Ribbentrop had said that, in a future war with Britain, Germany would have the Italians on its side. Churchill, referring to Italy’s poor record in the First World War, responded with one of his devastating verbal flashes: “That’s only fair – we had them last time.”

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In complete fairness to Germany Italy covered their southern flank, was an adversary that helped tie down British troops and the Royal Navy extensively in the Mediterranean, and Mussolini was one of the few people willing to early on throw Hitler diplomatic support.

Thier army was atrociously lead but their soldiers were competent and thier Navy at least contested the Med for a long time. Italy was a joke in WW2, everyone agrees, but Germany needed allies in Europe beyond bit player Eastern European dictatorships, and Italy was it. So better something than nothing!

But yes, they didn'te xactly give much beyond making the British have another theatre to have to fight through.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I doubt it's possible, but is there a way to get the US on our side in the war, or do they just straight up hate up by default? I've never played an AGEOD game before (despite somehow owning all of them on steam... not sure how that happened), but how flexible is it with things like that?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
"The Italians never lose a war. No matter what happens, they always end up on the winning side."

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you get out of developing aircraft? Scouting bonuses? Their ground attack capabilities cannot be that particularly note worthy.

Definitely develop artillery and court the Otomans. I think Romania is more useful than Bulgaria but I never played this game so I might be wrong here.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We fill out our options.

In Prussia we continue our efforts to encircle the enemy – and to destroy Rennenkamphs army.

The Austrians begin railing up the new troops.

The army expansion is continuing – 1915 brings a new wave of recruits.

The Russians try and break through the pocket – we hold them back, at a cost.

They can feel the noose tightening though.

We have hope the Ottoman Empire will join us in the war. We have also reached level 2 in Air and chemical warfare.

All my money goes on two new fighter units – one for Austria and one for Germany.

The Russians in Prussia are playing hard to get, I relocate Bulow to the north, I don't like the look of the forces massing there.

The Western Entente have taken Metz. We will try and hold the area, but only the troops in the fortress remain.

Bulow's redeployment catches some Russians by surprise.

The Ottomans have joined us!

The French realise they are a little obvious on the battlefield.

Enver Pashar orders men to be railed south for an assault into Egypt. An attack against Russia is also considered, but will be put to the generals for discussion.

The weather clears and I order a general offensive in Prussia.

The newly raised troops begin a push on Lodz.

The Austrians also attack, except for Conrad, who refused to budge from his winter retreat.

Kitchener throws over a million men at the Metz Fortress – they fight heroically and give the British and French a bloody nose, but in the end, they cannot hold against numbers like that.

The Militia in front of Losz are pushed back.

The Allied advance sweeps north into Thionville and smashes into our army there with overwhelming force.

Rennenkampf continues to screen his retreat.

But Hindenburg is able to engage him. We are repulsed by their field works, but we did some damage to a unit cut off behind our lines.

Another wave of men are sent in the next day.

Bulow manages to defeat the Russians.

We have some serious choices to make.

The first is the state of the Western Front.

We have no troops in the Saar Region – there is the possibility of a British breakthrough here. We can move troops in to defend the area, or there is another option.

Using the newly developed Chlorine gas, we could counter attack – we have the forces in the area, and the British will not have had time to dig in yet. We could push them back with heavy losses and restore the line – or we could lose thousands of men to British machine guns.

Also, Do we use the Ottomans to pressure the Russians?

Or the British?
Or both?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Gas them and go after the Brits

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gas, gas, quick boys!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

GAS GAS GAS and pressure the British. Who knows, we may even get REALLY lucky and threaten the Suez.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Gas the British and use the Ottomans to threaten the British. Really, attacking the Russians with the Ottoman gets nothing - they can retreat a long ways through the Causcus and the Ottomans have a relatively low powered army. If they can punch through the MIddle East they can cause a lot more damage than they can chasing the Russians through the mountains. If the Russians have no forces in the area then yb all means advance, but otherwise just screen the area to make sure they don't get attacked through the region.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Use Chemical Warfare on the western front to recapture Metz and attack the Suez Canal.

Also, why haven't you fired Conrad yet? Also, fire Enver Pashar before he does something stupid (Oops, he joined the central powers, I mean something more stupid).

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Gas to attack Metz for sure. Even if it doesn't work, you have over a million Russians in a pocket - pretty soon forces will be freed up to roll back the West, but there's no reason to let them stay in the Fatherland for a second longer than absolutely necessary!

What can you tell of the relative strengths between what the Turks can put in Palestine vs. what the Brits have or can easily redeploy to Egypt?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Turn on the gas in Metz, take back Egypt, our strategic supply of mummies.

Only Austrians can win a defensive with 200% the casualties that the attackers had...

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
All out offensive at every available opportunity, the strategy of delaying elsewhere while focusing on Russia has so far been a failure. We must simultaneously attack in the East, West, Caucasus, and Egypt, and attempt to overwhelm the Allies somewhere!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
GAS and use the superior Ottoman air power to pressure Both Russia and Britain!

Home by Ramadan!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Gas Metz, take Egypt.

There probably won't be a better chance to use the gas, and the Ottomans simply don't have the logistical ability to fight a multi-front war.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

thetruegentleman posted:

There probably won't be a better chance to use the gas, and the Ottomans simply don't have the logistical ability to fight a multi-front war.

But how can we know that if they don't try!?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
GAS thread, invade EGYPT.

We'll have men yodeling on the pyramids by Christmas, boys!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Gas will be a whiff (:haw:) and the Ottomans can't supply an army in the Sinai. This should be good.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gas Metz
Ottomans to focus on Egypt -but- keep enough of a Caucasus presence to keep the Russians honest.

I'm sure deploying gas in Metz will do wonders for German loyalty in Alsace-Lorraine Elsass-Lothringen.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
[img-sean-spicer.jpg]

I know that goons are all in the habit of going MAXIMUM HITLER, so in that vain can we NOT GAS METZ? :v:

Don't care about Egypt, care about ejecting the million British that are presently strolling all over the beloved Vaterland.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

David Corbett posted:

[img-sean-spicer.jpg]

I know that goons are all in the habit of going MAXIMUM HITLER, so in that vain can we NOT GAS METZ? :v:

Don't care about Egypt, care about ejecting the million British that are presently strolling all over the beloved Vaterland.

But the Brits are IN Metz. if we put the gas to em, then that's a lot of dead Brits!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

David Corbett posted:

[img-sean-spicer.jpg]

Please. We're going CONSERVATIVELY ASSAD.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

David Corbett posted:

[img-sean-spicer.jpg]

Hard to maintain the moral high ground when you're under the Gallic boot.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We didn't develop GAS to sit on the canisters. Use wherever the wind blows favorably!

The Ottomans should be asked to pester the British in Egypt!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Why did we develop this newfangled gas if not to use it? Gas the BEF, have the otter-men invade Egypt.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:gas:

Also Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Gas is ordered to be deployed at the Assault on Metz.

I create a new army group with the best General I have in the west – this pisses of Hindenburg a bit, but he's in the wrong theatre for promotion!

In Prussia we hold to recover cohesion. And let another bad patch of weather pass.

Conrad finally goes on the Offensive.

The Turks mass for their own offensive.

Our advance into the south of Polish Russia is halted.

We are still making headway in the north.

Our plan of attack falters at Kitchener steals the march on us with his million men.

They have also gone on an immediate offensive into Turkey!

The flanking movement makes it to Metz, and gets butchered for their trouble – this has shot our bolt with the gas as well!

With the danger of an imminent breakthrough on the Western Front I order the use of gas in an immediate counter attack on Lorraine. Fresh troops are moved to try and halt this advance.

Our Prussian forces still need to rest.

The Austrians are trying a minor offensive.

The Turks also attempt a counter attack.

The bulk of their forces are still inland however.

The British and French have wasted no time in landing troops in Gallipoli and Kum Kale.

The Austrians win local battles.

The Lorraine counter attack fails.

As does the attack on Dubno.

Kitchener widens his offensive.

Another wave into Lorraine is defeated, but with the gas, we are able to do good damage to the British forces.

The Italians move towards the Entente.

Our men on the Western front are exhausted and switch to the defensive.

The Warsaw pocket is my best chance to turn this war around, and is almost complete.

I just need Von Nadas to activate and go on the offensive! He has refused to do so.

The Turks shall march into Egypt, the British there seemingly are in retreat.

We also march to contain their invasion of the Dardanelles.

We engage and defeat a Russian Army.

The Turks push back the Australians.

We make good ground against Samsonov until his reserves reach the front.

The Turks continue to advance.

Dubno continues to be a battlefield.

Thankfully, the Western Entente did not attack this time, but losses are high – all sides have low national morale from the losses they have taken – we approach a million men.

I'm not going to lie, the war is in a dire state. We need to close that pocket and eliminate the Russians quickly! We cannot hold for long in the west!

• Locked thread