Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Update on the previous page.

Does Lin join the party at level 10 or is it whatever level Ryu is?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
level 10.

Also now I can talk mostly about the party set up. So the damage dealers for me goes spoiler, Nina, Ryu and Lin in that order.

Nina is very bad when you first get her though you should always have a weapon with runes on her snice they can completely take away your enemies turns. Though appartly her main use for people is from a certin skill she get's down the line Transfer AP

Also Lin was never very good for me though most likely cause I was miss using her.

Her tail is interesting though

GOI fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 14, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lin's outfit is really dumb.

Also the D-Dash being tied to the D-meter sucks, being able to zip around is a really nice QoL thing but they penalize you for using it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A lot of outfits in this game are really dumb sadly.

And the bulk of them are in your party!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

A lot of outfits in this game are really dumb sadly.

And the bulk of them are in your party!

You have to admit, part of the fun of an RPG is riffing on someone's outfit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

You have to admit, part of the fun of an RPG is riffing on someone's outfit.

Mostly only in bad ones :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Grapplejack posted:

the D-meter

I don't think this has been discussed in the lp yet

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Now that I've read the update Lin is my favorite character cuz she has the best attack names, is she hiding animal ears of some kind under that... headgear?

Scintilla, do you mainly play older RPGs? I ask because of your definition of 'fairy long cutscene' being like 40-50 textboxes long.

Mostly only in bad ones :v:

I cannot think of a single RPG where I havnt riffed on a characters outfit. Suikoden makes it tons of fun.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

GOI posted:

Nina is very bad when you first get her though you should always have a weapon with runes on her snice they can completely take away your enemies turns. Though appartly her main use for people is from a certin skill she get's down the line Transfer AP

This is a very important thing to note. Enemies understandably don't operate on the same AP system you do; instead, they seem to take two "actions" per turn. Since runes force them to stop moving when they hit them, an enemy who hits two runes in sequence (occasionally at the same time, though that's rarer) will often just stop their turn there and then. With the addition of Lin, a very solid party strategy is to start all battles with Lin (her gun's range carries over to her field attack), have her unload on the enemies in the EX/1st turn, force any survivors to charge in and stop on Nina's traps, then have Ryu mop up any survivors. With proper positioning and trap usage, a surprising amount of battles can be ended without the enemy ever attacking.

This is less useful right now with a fresh Lin, but like Scintilla said, she gets very lethal once she gets some more language skills under her belt.

Grapplejack posted:

Also the D-Dash sucks, being able to zip around is a really nice QoL thing but they penalize you for using it.

D-Dash is not very useful as a dash, but it is very useful as a parry. As long as you're dashing when you hit the enemy, you can knock them out, which becomes more useful with later mechanics.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

MythosDragon posted:

Now that I've read the update Lin is my favorite character cuz she has the best attack names, is she hiding animal ears of some kind under that... headgear?

Scintilla, do you mainly play older RPGs? I ask because of your definition of 'fairy long cutscene' being like 40-50 textboxes long.

I'm fairly sure Lin is a Grassrunner, and Grassrunners have always had animal characteristics in Breath of Fire. She has a tail at least, so there being cat ears under that hood is entirely plausible.

I'm a pretty big fan of older games in general. The cutscenes in Dragon Quarter aren't that long in the grand scheme of things, but the way they follow one another means they can take up most of an update.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

Scintilla posted:

I'm fairly sure Lin is a Grassrunner, and Grassrunners have always had animal characteristics in Breath of Fire. She has a tail at least, so there being cat ears under that hood is entirely plausible.

I'm a pretty big fan of older games in general. The cutscenes in Dragon Quarter aren't that long in the grand scheme of things, but the way they follow one another means they can take up most of an update.

Nah, Grassrunners are dogs. Lin's a cat, so she's a Woren! :3:

Incidentally, Ryu is possibly the very first full-on Human in a Breath of Fire game since Karn from the first one. Sure, Ryu quickly gets sick-rad anime powers, but before that, he's just a guy.

Heck, if you assume that Karn is some weird human subspecies that can combine with other people (which is... implied? It's been a long time since I played BoF 1), then Ryu is actually the very first human to join your party in the series!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

So we never get ingame confirmation on it? R.I.P.
I'm more of a modern fan, and specialize in games with absolutely absurd word counts, so I just felt like asking.

I might look up her attack names later if I can, would mentioning those if I really like them be considered against the thread rules?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Stormgear posted:

Nah, Grassrunners are dogs. Lin's a cat, so she's a Woren! :3:

Incidentally, Ryu is possibly the very first full-on Human in a Breath of Fire game since Karn from the first one. Sure, Ryu quickly gets sick-rad anime powers, but before that, he's just a guy.

Heck, if you assume that Karn is some weird human subspecies that can combine with other people (which is... implied? It's been a long time since I played BoF 1), then Ryu is actually the very first human to join your party in the series!

Grassrunner is just like all the dang animal people races in Breath of Fire, afaik

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yup. Momo is a Grassrunner and she's a bunny!

Also, fun trivia, originally Lin was gonna be revealed to be Deis. That was scrapped and thus Deis doesn't appear in this game. Which sucks, but she would have been majorly out of place this time around.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Also, fun trivia, originally Lin was gonna be revealed to be Deis. That was scrapped and thus Deis doesn't appear in this game. Which sucks, but she would have been majorly out of place this time around.

"Oh man, that was one hell of a nap. I..... WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU GUYS DO!?"

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I didn't even realize Lin had a tail until you guys mentioned it.

Grassrunners were always one of the more "colorful" aspects of the BoF series, but since this installment seems so dark-colored and apocalyptic, I feel they don't really fit in well. But then, storywise it feels like we're just leaving the prologue, so this is only speculation.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I like Lin's design if only because I was like 'oh hey, Katt's back! And this time she's got a gun!'

It took until the fan translation of BoF2 before I learned that was actually what they were going for :shobon:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I dunno, Lin always reminded me more of Ursula from 4 than Katt. Maybe it's the attire, or maybe it's the fact she's a gun'sbraster. Lin and Ursula are the only ones I know of that use handheld firearms; Momo is much more "cannon" than "revolver". (And in her case, the accuracy debuffs make a little more sense, have you ever tried to hit something at point blank range with a mortar?)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 15, 2017

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Momo and her loving fantasy bazooka that shoots out magic is the goddamn best thing in the universe.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Momo and her loving fantasy bazooka that shoots out magic is the goddamn best thing in the universe.

Until she teleports in front of you and shoots you in the face

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Until she teleports in front of you and shoots you in the face

Putting shadowwalk on Momo is some pro-tier poo poo

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Deis would've been pretty interesting just for how much complaining she'd probably do about the setting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I always used Momo as Rei's bazooka wielding handler.

Go boy! Maul THAT thing to death!

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

God bless shadowwalk Momo. There's nothing quite like point-blanking bazooka shells.

Regarding the Deis thing, I think it could have been pretty hilarious. But I guess maybe they didn't want to give you two magicians, maybe? Deis has always been the magical type, after all.

I can definitely see the Ursula thing though.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly everyone in that game can break it wide open, except for Garr. By the time he catches up to Peco's damage potential it's too little too late, and he'll forever lack Peco's ability to just not die. Plus Peco has a couple tricks beyond hitting things hard. Even Nina can bust the game over her knee.

But this isn't my third go around at LP'ing it so I'll just go back to finding a place for my Peco plushie at my new place

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Even with Lin's +10% accuracy guns she still misses way more then she should. Lin's in-battle ability is really useful since a good chunk of enemies in the game have little quirks to them. Lin is the only character to actually use the combo system sort-of with the way she stacks effects on successive attacks. For the record Bosch gets Twin Wake, Ryu gets one really lovely combo attack and Nina gets none cuz she don't need them.

Nina's traps are cool but it just annoys me that you can't setup item traps inside battles, you have to have them setup beforehand. It's dumb and I really wish you could spend ap to do so.

Nina's our glass cannon and her moveset feels so drat slow to build up I still only have the lv2 skills and two lv3's that're locked to her weapons and i'm in the last dungeon. Like near the start here you use mostly traps but when you want to do direct damage early on you have to go through Nina's slow casting animation like 6-7 times.

The AI will actually try to avoid traps if they can get to a target and attack them without touching the trap on their turn. Otherwise if you've blocked their path they'll barrel through them to you or if you're too far away they don't seem to take them into consideration and rub their face into them as well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Source? I always thought Momo was some kind of long-eared dog.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Lin has less brute force than Ruy, but more range and utility. She has an interesting role in battle, except that she will later get a skill that has "spam this one" written all over it. Then she becomes more useful for sure, but also less interesting.

Nina has the best damage output against large numbers of enemies and her traps can completely shut down most enemies and a lot of bosses as well. Her main weakness, in my opinion, is not her statistical weaknesses, but her spell animations. It's not so bad now, but later spells have way to long animations and greatly contribute towards making battles less enjoyable.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Nina is also incredibly fast and will nearly always go first in any given turn. This can be super useful if you're going through an area with lots of enemies weak to a specific element since you can stick her in the lead and abuse her EX Turns to wipe out whole encounters before they can act.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tbh, the gameplay looks like the best part of this game, It actually looks pretty strategic and punishing but fair, I still dont think it matches a roguelike much though. Sadly, Gameplay is basically the least important major aspect of a game to me.

Also I just remembered the limited save nonsense, that goes against everything I've ever learned as a gamer.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Nina is also incredibly fast and will nearly always go first in any given turn. This can be super useful if you're going through an area with lots of enemies weak to a specific element since you can stick her in the lead and abuse her EX Turns to wipe out whole encounters before they can act.

Yeah they try to counter that by giving her a long wind up for that attack but with all the bait items you get it's easy to not only get her to hit but also to gather enemies into a tight group.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Libluini posted:

According to the internet, she is a Grassrunner or dog person.

I always thought she was a poodle with the long droopy ears.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah they try to counter that by giving her a long wind up for that attack but with all the bait items you get it's easy to not only get her to hit but also to gather enemies into a tight group.
The bait items are almost too good. It's too easy to hit an enemy before they have a chance to devour it and then pick it up again and use it against other enemies. I get a few baits and I've never had to restock.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015

Kurieg posted:

"Oh man, that was one hell of a nap. I..... WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU GUYS DO!?"
Oh I almost want her in the story just to see her react to the sheer mess of what's going on.
well I don't know if it is in the game but the surface was destroyed by dragons and odjin and the d ratio system was based on them

Golden Goat posted:

Even with Lin's +10% accuracy guns she still misses way more then she should. Lin's in-battle ability is really useful since a good chunk of enemies in the game have little quirks to them. Lin is the only character to actually use the combo system sort-of with the way she stacks effects on successive attacks. For the record Bosch gets Twin Wake, Ryu gets one really lovely combo attack and Nina gets none cuz she don't need them.

Nina's traps are cool but it just annoys me that you can't setup item traps inside battles, you have to have them setup beforehand. It's dumb and I really wish you could spend ap to do so.

Nina's our glass cannon and her moveset feels so drat slow to build up I still only have the lv2 skills and two lv3's that're locked to her weapons and i'm in the last dungeon. Like near the start here you use mostly traps but when you want to do direct damage early on you have to go through Nina's slow casting animation like 6-7 times.

The AI will actually try to avoid traps if they can get to a target and attack them without touching the trap on their turn. Otherwise if you've blocked their path they'll barrel through them to you or if you're too far away they don't seem to take them into consideration and rub their face into them as well.

Nina animations are slow but they made up for by the fact that she completely wreaks and while the special combo system is not something I got into. Just that every new skill in the string gets like a 10% boost in power

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Libluini posted:

It's honestly been so long since I read that I couldn't tell you if it was something official, a fanfiction, or something I thought I when I realized those were ears, not accessories. I could easily be wrong.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Executive meddling seems really unlikely to me. There's so much to this game that's wildly risky and divergent (and indeed the fact that it's barely a Breath of Fire game is what made it sink like a stone) that this game could only be a passion project if you ask me

This really, if there would have been corporate meddling it would have more likely been steering the game into a tried and tested formula. Passion project is a really good way to describe how this game feels. I can relate to people getting weirded out by DQ since I didn't like the game at all on release, mostly because it wasn't anything like the previous games. When I gave DQ another shot a couple of years later, it all clicked and I appreciate the game very much even today, it unironically has a spot on my personal best game list. It's a drat shame that the game tanked so hard, if only more people (myself included) would have given the game a chance.

That said it's great to see a lp that treats the source material with respect instead of just going "look at this stupid game lol, what the gently caress were they thinking", this game deserves some attention and hopefully more people will learn to appreciate the game. Here's to hoping you can take this to the end. :unsmith:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Moskau posted:

This really, if there would have been corporate meddling it would have more likely been steering the game into a tried and tested formula. Passion project is a really good way to describe how this game feels. I can relate to people getting weirded out by DQ since I didn't like the game at all on release, mostly because it wasn't anything like the previous games. When I gave DQ another shot a couple of years later, it all clicked and I appreciate the game very much even today, it unironically has a spot on my personal best game list. It's a drat shame that the game tanked so hard, if only more people (myself included) would have given the game a chance.

That said it's great to see a lp that treats the source material with respect instead of just going "look at this stupid game lol, what the gently caress were they thinking", this game deserves some attention and hopefully more people will learn to appreciate the game. Here's to hoping you can take this to the end. :unsmith:

I'm replaying it right now and definitely looking on it more fondly than I remember, but I still dislike the primary mechanic. I'll grant it that it's a good game, but I maintain that it's not a good Breath of Fire game.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I have to say, the rather... uninspiring NA box art probably didn't help it any.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Every time you guys say "DQ" I'm gonna think "Why the hell are we talking about Dragon Quest?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I had a blizzard.

• Locked thread