Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Interview re: Weird West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LvjG6qqhM

Mentions ultima vii as a conceptual starting point. Though interestingly the game's broken up into sections, each played by a different main character, with previous characters continuing their existence in the world and being recruitable.

Reminds me a lot of Hard West:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_West

Hard West was a pretty fun (but mostly just okay) XCOM-like game that had some unique features like bullet ricochets, but also needed more work on the story and world-map sides. I can give it a lukewarm recommendation if somebody's looking for something similar while waiting on Weird West.

edit: and Deathloop looks loving awesome, I love the aesthetic.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hi, sorry if this question gets asked a bunch but I'm just starting this game for the first time and wondering what difficulty I should set it on and if I should use any of the survival options? Also is the DLC standalone or should I get it now?

For reference, I'm an extremely methodical 'knock out and vent stuff every single guard in the level' kind of immersive sim player, generally preferring to avoid combat with extreme stealth and savescumming if I get detected/shot

Although if I need to shoot some aliens in the face I can also do that

I'm gonna go with normal plus all survival options turned on, please tell me if that will suck

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 14, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
DLC is standalone, don’t enable survival options on your first playthrough because the game is not designed around it (they were dummied out of the base game some point before it finished, pretty well designed in the DLC, then added back to the base game as an afterthought).

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Personally I'd go with hard (no survival stuff) if you're familiar with this type of game. You can lower it later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't think they're that bad especially on normal, but by the time the survival options were added i knew the game inside out, so it's hard for me to say how they'd play first time through. But probably better to just turn them off. I suggest giving hard a go instead. Difficulty is adjustable mid-game, either way.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks all, hard no survival it is. I spent 10 minutes throwing things around my apartment and then got an achievement for blending myself into the helicopter blades, game good

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
hell yeah

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

got an achievement for blending myself into the helicopter blades

one of us

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Survival is more of a thing in a modded game.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The first safe code isn't 0451, what the hell

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Butterfly Valley posted:

The first safe code isn't 0451, what the hell

you'll run into a 0451 code soon enough!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Just finished this. Very good game but I was a little thrown off by the very fast empowerment that seemed to happen in the midgame. In the beginning, I thought "this is my new favorite game". The atmosphere and the mystery and the horror were so good, then suddenly it was just a competent immersive sim... Which is still a very good game, but the downward turn from amazing to good really made the good seem meh

Time to read a novel's worth of writing and watch 10 hours of videos to see what I missed and what other people though

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I played the first time with survival options and if they're unbalanced its because they're too easy so I dont see much of a point to turning them off.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea, they're totally there for fun and fluff reasons, but that doesn't stop an army of moaners complaining about it; it's either totally onerous and ruins things or totally trivial and should be cut.

The sfx for walking on a broken bone is horrifying, I love it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
No one said those things, though

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Thanks all, hard no survival it is. I spent 10 minutes throwing things around my apartment and then got an achievement for blending myself into the helicopter blades, game good

Throw a recycler charge at yourself for fun times. :troll:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

El_Elegante posted:

No one said those things, though

Literally in this thread (or maybe the unpopular game opinions thread?) there where people making those two points, usually a few posts apart. I played with survival stuff on the first time and can't imagine how those people got so bothered by the stuff, it's quaint and fun.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yeah, I had a recent replay on hard with the survival elements on and it barely adds difficulty. It's just a little extra flavour. If anything its main impact is you having to keep a bit of your inventory reserved for the various treatments for certain conditions.

So long as you're not doing an alien only / no needles run, you'll be swimming in spare parts for weapon repairs too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Update with no patchnotes. 4 or 16 gigs, seems to differ depending on whether folks have Mooncrash. Rolling it into the base game for a bundle a la Tomb Raider?
Edit:

quote:

Today we planned to perform a backend deployment for Prey in order to remove Denuvo, but some of you may have seen a 16GB or 4GB update instead. We've rolled back this deployment, so you should no longer have any large updates for Prey or Prey: Mooncrash. The update to remove Denuvo will still be deployed, but at a later date.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 16, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

8 or 9 hours in, have just got the blueprints to make neuromods and I'm extremely into everything about this game. Being able to crawl under really low poo poo, climbing into all sorts of nooks and crannies and being rewarded by finding stuff, the worldbuilding down to the little flavour stories told through emails, my need to hoard stupid bullshit items actually paying off in the form of recycling machines, creepy rear end poltergeist mimics, the well done ambiguities in the main plot and instructions in whether to use typhon neuromods or not etc etc

itry
Aug 23, 2019

How do you like the recycling grenades and glue gun?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Once again I feel I must shill for the CORE Balance Mod, from the dude(s) who brought you GMDX. Just about everything is better and more interesting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i didn't explore it fully, but what i saw of GMDX's visual changes looked shite, imho

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

itry posted:

How do you like the recycling grenades

very carefully

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Basic Chunnel posted:

Once again I feel I must shill for the CORE Balance Mod, from the dude(s) who brought you GMDX. Just about everything is better and more interesting.

Mod description sounds like the creator huffs his own farts

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm curious what the survival options are, I just don't remember seeing them at all. Is it just stuff to make you eat/drink often? I did that anyway to min-max my food regen thingy. Every 30 seconds or whatever just open that quick change menu to pop a food

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You don't have to worry about hunger. There are traumas you can get from injuries, like broken limbs or a burn. Weapons degrade. And your suit will leak oxygen if damaged.

All these are addressed by specific items, so essentially they're another drain on you're resources (obviously, you also need the repair skill to repair weapons)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 19, 2020

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Weapon degradation felt like the only meaningful gameplay factor to survival mode, at least in Mooncrash. I never had my suit degrade to the point that the O2 depletion actually mattered, so the threshold must be pretty low, and the assorted traumas just meant some of my inventory would be clogged up with the corresponding health item on the off chance that I'd need it, just like anti rad pills in the base game. I guess it's interesting early on when you don't have the items and are stumbling around concussed, but I imagine the plentiful medical operators that you get in the base game trivializes traumas moreso than the expansion.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

It took a lot of doing but I've finished all the Story Objectives in Mooncrash - the only thing left is the long game, and with luck my escape routes should be good to go. As far as difficulty of the story missions go, Claire's was a bitch and a half. Silly me for thinking there'd be a sneaky way to open Alex's safe for the listening module without having to hack it. . . if there is, I'd love to know. Getting Riley's mission to activate took a number of goes, not only to get the Neuromods for the necessary power, but also because of sheer bad luck, like having the Phantom I needed to scan be a Voltaic one in the middle of an area with no oxygen. For Andrius' I just needed the Disruptor ammo to go with the Disruptor plan I lucked into much earlier. The other two took some effort but I had a pretty good selection of weapons and items I could bring into play.

Mooncrash really is fantastic. I've played a lot of Rougelikes and -lites and Mooncrash is the one I feel is the most "tough but fair". Like the main game it gives you plenty of resources and tools to use, and keeping the base's layout static while adding other variables to spice things up is a nice way to implement the randomness elements. It's crazy how much thought and effort was put into this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One negative mechanic I think Deathloop will have is the same accessory system. A series of items you pick up at random that grant minor-buffs like "Sprint 10% faster".

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I already mentioned it up thread but I hate hate hate how Riley's story mission makes you take the Phantom Genesis II upgrade to progress. The first power level is good because you can now consider every human corpse you encounter as Riley as a farmable source of typhon organs, plus the standard phantom already does an adequate job as a meat shield and decoy. The 2nd power level is strictly a downgrade however because having elemental phantoms following you around just depletes your own health and armor and triggers every loving environmental effect as you mentioned.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

you know what fixes that

mods

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not everyone has a big PC. I’m sorry to be the one to break this to you

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Bogart posted:

Not everyone has a big PC. I’m sorry to be the one to break this to you

Well that's just wrong, those people simply must go to the store.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cryengine at this stage is comparatively undemanding, my 2015 laptop could run it at medium settings.

Otherwise, if you can’t mod, don’t. Oblivion came out 14 years ago, getting upset about what your platform can or cannot do at the mere mention of a mod is about 13 years out of style.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLExoItBLVc

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Can't wait for the rest of that doc.

Oh hey, steam sale in the US.

If you're a maniac that still doesn't have Prey (or any of the other Arkane games, really), now's the time.
They removed Denuvo from it recently (finally), too.

So yeah, thread title.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Is Arx Fatalis worth playing in tyool2020?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I really like Arx Fatalis. It's an old game in and of itself these days, so don't expect the same level of modernization for Ultima Underworld as Dishonored did for Thief or Prey did for System Shock. It still has the hallmarks of Arkane sprawling levels and cool exploration.

If you want to play it, use the modern engine update Arx Libertatis. A cool goon also created an auto hotkey hack if you dislike the rune drawing spellcasting system:

seorin posted:

I enjoyed Arx a lot with the Arx Libertatis port linked above. The spellcasting was a total nightmare, though, and it might have ruined the game for me if I didn't hack together an autohotkey script to take care of it for me. I wrote the script to cast by inputting rune codes on the numpad. For example, numpad 546 would draw Aam. At least for me personally, that actually made spellcasting fun, and it didn't feel super unbalanced or anything. I'd still sometimes end up scrambling to cast the right spell in combat.

You enter cast mode by turning on caps lock, then start each rune with numpad 5 and press two other numbers unique to each rune. Press caps lock again when you're done with the casting sequence and it exits cast mode and casts the spell. The combinations make as much sense as I could manage (4-6 being a straight line from left to right, for example). However, it's easy to customize if you want to alter the codes to suit your own preferences.

I uploaded it here.

You may also have to fiddle with the draw sequences depending on your resolution. It was basically trial and error to get each of them to work.

Also, magic is incredibly strong in the game and you wind up being a better thief or warrior than purestrain versions of those builds due to magic buffing, plus you get all of the useful conveniences of haste, invisibility, levitation, and healing. If you want to do everything in the game, magic is the route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

brain dammej posted:

If you're a maniac that still doesn't have Prey (or any of the other Arkane games, really), now's the time.

true.

i bought prey because this thread wouldn't shut up about it and now i'm here to tell you, goon in the prey thread who doesnt have prey, that you do indeed need prey.