Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I think the Many are scarier than the Typhon in a body horror kinda way, but there were plenty of scares in the game. There are a couple of places where you can encounter an "out of depth" Technopath where you can either burn through most of your disposables or just straight run. And before you get good, avoiding phantoms is a regular strategy. Lots of survival horror. By the endgame you are just dominating everything with your shotgun so during the last third of the game you are an unstoppable goddess (and I didn't even use typhon powers) but for the first two thirds you are extremely vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Prey scared the poo poo out of me. Especially in Psychotronics. Part of that is I play those kinds of games extremely stealthy and never bother with any combat upgrades so if I get found I'm pretty screwed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, doing a low- or no-neuromods run really changes the dynamic. Suddenly all resources are precious, stealth is incredibly important, and the majority of enemies are legitimately intimidating threats.

Even a gimmick run with lots of neuromods can achieve this - I tried doing a Donkey Kong run where I took only the speed, strength, and area access (hacking, repair, etc) mods and could only fight with the wrench and thrown objects. The microgravity segments were loving terrible, but the foot combat varied between "hilarious" and "jaw-clenchingly stressful" depending on what I was fighting and what projectiles were close at hand.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 17, 2021

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Pookah posted:

The enemy I found most unnerving were the poltergeists - weird muttering, thudding footsteps, and the anxiety of trying to hide from something you can't see.

Oh god how could I forget the poltergeists

not a horror game tho

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There was nothing scary about SS2 except for enemies respawning and your weapons breaking mid combat

The enemies respawn in Prey, too, and good loving riddance on the weapon durability, so i'd say it's about the same horror across both games

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Hearing a security bot boot up after walking around a corner in SS1 always gives me a jump.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HenryEx posted:

There was nothing scary about SS2 except for enemies respawning and your weapons breaking mid combat

The enemies respawn in Prey, too, and good loving riddance on the weapon durability, so i'd say it's about the same horror across both games

I really liked the Weapon degradation, added a lot of nice tension especially in the early game. I didn't like Maintenance and Repair being separate skills, going through all of the cargo bays with just a wrench because I broke all my guns was an experience for sure.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I 100% agree the game drops off a cliff for the last few hours. By that point you can basically face tank the biggest enemies in the game and just unload with the shotgun until they are dead.

It still comes off as immensely rewarding play from start to finish. Suddenly while exploring around instead of sneaking and hiding I'll just grab the massive crates nearby and hurl them at an enemy and knock them across the level. Get the gently caress out of my way I'm looking for a keycard bitch.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

HenryEx posted:

twhat the ?? Later on it disappates from scary to unnerving to "ooh more targets" but the medical ->cargo bay parts are scary af. Mostly because you've got a very limited amount of bullets/psy hypos and a LOT of hostiles.

Screw Cargo bay 1.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Not at all Prey related, but my rediscovered love of games has now resulted in me setting up a nice big tv and a ps3 for entirely my own use. Got a very healthy back catalogue to work through too. Got a bunch of Fallouts, all the Dead Spaces, Deus Exs, Mass Effects and Dishonoured, of course.

I just need to get better at console controls dammit! I know I've bitched about it before, but it's just so frustrating to feel so clumsy all the time.

(I also started a new game+ of prey because despite everything, I still love it very much)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

If you’re looking for console stuff and Sci-fi you could do a whole lot worse on the PS3 than the Ratchet and Clank Future trilogy. The gameplay is refined and all the native PS3 games go big into the classic sci-fi tropes, lots of space battles and time shenanigans and ancient races and hover bikes.

edit: but don’t bother with any of the side games. Tools of Destruction is :10bux: pretty much everywhere and if you like that pick up Quest for Booty, Crack in Time and Into the Nexus. No need to play FFA or All 4 One or that dumb crossover game or the PSP games

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 17, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

HenryEx posted:

I mean . . . those both are scary?

When I play SS2 now I can clown people with my wrench. But that wasn't how it was played when it came out unless you were a competitive Q2 player and I was not. Even now though, the omnipresent slog of the Many being *many* is scarier than some poo poo I can either duck in an elevator or kill in two seconds with my shotgun. My current *forward-back-circle* "KILL ME!" *forward-back-circle* is way scarier than *GROWL! BOSSFIGHT!* chump-with-shotgun.

There is a terror in SS2 when you realize you've been playing the game wrong. Your weapon is about to break and the only weapon you have left is a big rear end cannon that will kill you if you fire it too close and this enemy rushes you.

Yes, weapon durability is bullshit that sucks. But you'd think by now they'd have found a way to make that tension without it.

I don't want to gently caress myself because of playstyle, I want my playstyle to gently caress me. In Deus Ex I was a stealthy, kill-'em-all guy. Frankly, still am. It makes you get *extremely* creative in the end-game because you have no ammo. There are twelve different ways to answer a question, you've done all of them with bullets. Now? You can't answer questions with bullets so what are you going to do? That is fun because here I am, hyper-violence man. I can't do that anymore. Because I ran out of bullets because (and I know this) I put them into other people's skulls. So now, at the end of all loving things, I've got to be nonviolent samwise sneaking my way.

Those victories taste sweet. Let me force myself into lovely situations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I generally hate weapon durability, but it works in System Shock 2 where maintenance and repair is at least an option, as opposed to something like BOTW where it's just annoying to deal with.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Calling back to this thread to say that I've switched to an xbox 360 because my ps3 controller is a bit fucky. Played the 360 thief all day only to have it reinforced over and over again that it is 100% dogshit.
Gave up on this horrible crime against thief games and decided to play something better.
Gonna play Deadly Premonition.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pookah posted:

Calling back to this thread to say that I've switched to an xbox 360 because my ps3 controller is a bit fucky. Played the 360 thief all day only to have it reinforced over and over again that it is 100% dogshit.
Gave up on this horrible crime against thief games and decided to play something better.

https://www.thedarkmod.com/downloads/

You're welcome.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I could have sworn I'd already played this but I definitely haven't, so thanks!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Pookah posted:

Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows) or Thief 4? Both were released on the 360. :shrug:

The former has at least one redeeming quality of being a delivery mechanism for The Shalebridge Cradle. Considering the thread just touched on the subject of horror games, that's one example that leans pretty heavily into spooky horror tropes but manages to do it well.

The latter... Well, as much as I'd never turn down more Thief, I never did reach the end of that "What if Thief, but with Uncharted level design??" experiment.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Prey is the last decent rpg we've gotten in the last 4 years at least. Hell, even thief deadly shadows is better than most garbage released these days even if only because of the cradle. AAA gaming is in such a poo poo state right now that any given game at walmart has at least a 99% chance of being some boring, generic, broken piece of unplayable poo poo.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jan posted:

The former has at least one redeeming quality of being a delivery mechanism for The Shalebridge Cradle. Considering the thread just touched on the subject of horror games, that's one example that leans pretty heavily into spooky horror tropes but manages to do it well.

The latter... Well, as much as I'd never turn down more Thief, I never did reach the end of that "What if Thief, but with Uncharted level design??" experiment.

sup

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jan posted:

Thief 3 using back compat on 360 has busted lighting, unless they've fixed it sometime over the last decade.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jan posted:

I love Deadly Shadows, never knew it came out on me 360, I played it on the old xbox and on pc. Yeah, the cradle was a real highpoint.

No the bad Thief I am talking about is the newer one, the one where it looks like the city is full of interesting climbable ledges and crates but oh, no, you can't actually climb most of them, only the ones the devs think you ought to. Just after playing Dishonoured, it was extremely disappointing to find out how very limited your 'free movement' options in Thief are.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dpulex posted:

Prey is the last decent rpg we've gotten in the last 4 years at least. Hell, even thief deadly shadows is better than most garbage released these days even if only because of the cradle. AAA gaming is in such a poo poo state right now that any given game at walmart has at least a 99% chance of being some boring, generic, broken piece of unplayable poo poo.

Same as it ever was. Do you also expect high quality from the equivalent AAA movie and music releases? They're generally chasing the lowest common denominator crowd.
That's not to say that we're not in a great place for games right now - some of the top games on my theoretical best games list have been released in the last couple of years, just not from the big studios.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Just wait until Michael Bay figures out how to put loot boxes and microtransactions into his movies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dpulex posted:

Prey is the last decent rpg we've gotten in the last 4 years at least.

Is Prey really classifiable as an rpg? Also, the last 4 years have seen some absolutely incredibly RPGs released.

I'll you best immersive sim, though.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 24, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GlyphGryph posted:

Is Prey really classifiable as an rpg?

no, and also imagine saying that when Disco Elysium exists

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Prey is better than DE

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

apples & oranges and it's a moot point anyway; you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would say DE isn't at least "decent"

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Basic Chunnel posted:

Prey is better than DE

Who cares?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I care < :saddowns: >
I don't care

Death loop is looking awesome, just replaying Dishonored 2 + prey. Wonder how similar it'll feel to play.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It'll probably be similar to Mooncrash than to any of their other games.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

They're definitely going to put some kind of timer into Death Loop and it's going to make me hate it. Best thing about these kinds of games is just taking your time to pick it clean and explore and poo poo. If Mooncrash didn't let you break the timer I would not have enjoyed it I don't think.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I already feel anxious about the time loop gimmick for the same reasons; I'm still excited for it but I just don't want it ruining a fun immersive sim for me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
On the other hand, Outer Wilds was on a timer and it was absolutely amazing.

So long as you've got a genuinely open world (especially one that's actually MORE open than it appears) and later loops let you easily sequence break, bypass, or trivialize stuff that was previously difficult (either through acquisition of knowledge and skills, or through actual mechanical loop based progression like in Hades or something) it can be really good.

And this seems like exactly that! The second gameplay trailer especially leads into that... doing one small thing at the beginning puts two targets next to each other later on instead of on opposite sides of the island, making taking down both of them take no more time than taking down one. And it seems like the game will be primarily about finding those things (and maybe things that work better than the earlier things you tried!) rather than "you gotta go really fast if you want to finish this in time"

Also I'm not sure if I understood the trailer completely, but does it seem like you'll have the opportunity to actively compete against other players trying to stop you from succeeding at breaking the loop? Because that seems like it could be really fun! (and also implies a properly done loop will actually be quite quick if you do it right, and not even be close to pushing the edge of the timer)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 25, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best role in Prey is “person who throws reployers at everything”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Putting games on a timer is dope, it's what made Dead Rising such a fun tense experience

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
timers are neat but they do set off some people's anxiety to the point that they can't enjoy a game, even if the timer is very unlikely to actually affect the way you play the game

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Kibayasu posted:

:hai: swoleness is the most important neuromod tree.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Someone in this very thread said something along the lines of "Maxed out leverage turns this game into first person Donkey Kong" which was an endearing enough turn of phrase that it has both stuck with me and helped convince a few people to get the game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm under time pressure during my entire workday. I really don't need more of that in my leisure time. gently caress timers, let me play in peace ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I will never play a game that puts me under timer stress constantly, no goddamn way. I like to potter about and find interesting junk in corners.
Anyhoo, in 'catching up in a decade+ of missed innovation', I finally finished Bioshock (better than I remembered), gave up on BS2 (grubby and depressing), and have switched to the Mass Effect series.
I have to start with ME 1 because I hear Wrex is dead by default if you start with ME2 and gently caress that poo poo. Goodness, but the menus in ME1 look so dated
I lost my ME1 finished save a long long time ago, but have discovered today that my playthrough is long enough ago for all the Citadel stuff at the start not to be intolerably boring.
Also got Dishonored 2 and Torment on the go for ps4.
I haven't had this much fun with games for a decade, it's deadly!