Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I see that this game has a wrench. Is it the Best Weapon, in keeping with tradition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The game isn't out yet, so it's hard to say. But given that big rear end stationary deplorable turrets exist, I'd say no.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so there is this toilet room you can jump in after you get the neuromod, you are supposed to use a neuromod to get in, but you can do it without. dont, cause you cant get out

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm genuinely intrigued by the story and have plot theories. I guess a decade of Bioshocks/Dishonored hasn't spoiled my love of guns+spells+genetic mutation but I felt like I was getting totally slaughtered on normal, and I usually play every FPS on hardest settings because I've been gaming for like 20 years.

I think breaking out of your apartment is one of my favorite reveals ever and I really want to know what's going on with the Yu family. Why is Alex so shady, what role do his board of director parents play?

Played demo on XBone, but will buy on PC because I think M+KB will fix most of the issues I have with this game.

In general this game is creepier than the other Shocks or Arkane games, I really hope they maintain this level of tension throughout.

it reminds me alot of dishonored 2 in that the first levels are the hardest because you have basically no powers or upgrades. once they patch the delay issue on the ps4 in the full game it will be great. i love that every body has a name and if you dig around you can find there stuff.

The Lone Badger posted:

I see that this game has a wrench. Is it the Best Weapon, in keeping with tradition?

its good and i am sure i will wrench jockey my way through the game. but the ps4 has weird delay issues so its not as fun. arkane said they will fix so i am ok.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arkane is yet to make a game that isn't amazing. I wonder if Prey is going to be an exception or not.

Normally I would only be worried about optimization of the PC version, considering that Dishonored 2 was the worst optimized game I've ever played, but I upgraded my PC recently so that shouldn't be an issue.

I do wonder though if maybe Prey is being made by their "B-Team" that might not be as good as their "A-Team" that made all the good stuff.
That's my only concern. Otherwise I would've pre-ordered it right away.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I will say that while I'm not a huuuuuuge fan of the combat, the world-building, exploration, and overall writing definitely has me excited in a way that Bioshock never did.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The jump and climbing feels really bad after coming from DH2. I do find it funny when I enter a room there's a bunch of crap suspiciously falling over.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I was real excited for this game but after going through the demo I think this game is 2spooky4me, I was reflexively mashing the pause button every time the battle theme started up

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Palpek posted:

They could have called it Dead Space and it would have as much in common with that franchise as it has with Prey 2006.

Funnily enough I played the demo a lot like I played Dead Space 1 and 2. Just instead of obsessively stomping on corpses I'm obsessively hitting inanimate objects with a wrench.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't played the Demo, since it's not on PC but let me get this straight.

You can pickup all the random garbage to make crafting materials out of it. The main enemy type can hide as any random garbage to spook you.
Is that right? I might have to buy myself a pair of brown pants to wear while playing this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

If a long, jagged piece of crystal is in the game then I'd say no because that would be the best weapon.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bogart posted:

big rear end stationary deplorable turrets exist

Fuckin stationary turrets and their stubborn refusal to move, I deplore them too

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't played the Demo, since it's not on PC but let me get this straight.

You can pickup all the random garbage to make crafting materials out of it. The main enemy type can hide as any random garbage to spook you.
Is that right? I might have to buy myself a pair of brown pants to wear while playing this.

yeah, you can go to pick up some some random object and it might just turn into a horrible writhing spider beast.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I love how every corpse has a unique name and that you can use a security console to ping them. I did it at least once to find a specific person who they said in the demo files had an item I wanted...turns out they were a phantom now!

Another thing I noticed in the emails and files I hope will be cleared up in the game...The general email sent out says that Dr Bellamy was sent to the trauma center, but was in stable condition. I distinctly recall him being turned into a petrified corpse like the other mimic victims. When I managed to get into Trauma, I found an email saying "whatever you do, don't send Bellamy to Trauma, send him to Psychotronics. Hmmmm....be interesting to see what I can find there...

Here's another fun thing you can do in and around Morgan's starting apartment. Grab an object, like a lamp, and put it in the hallway when you go through an elevator or on the helipad. It'll still be there after the supposed scene transition. Lovely attention to detail.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 30, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Speedball posted:

I love how every corpse has a unique name and that you can use a security console to ping them. I did it at least once to find a specific person who they said in the demo files had an item I wanted...turns out they were a phantom now!

Another thing I noticed in the emails and files I hope will be cleared up in the game...The general email sent out says that Dr Bellamy was sent to the trauma center, but was in stable condition. I distinctly recall him being turned into a petrified corpse like the other mimic victims. When I managed to get into Trauma, I found an email saying "whatever you do, don't send Bellamy to Trauma, send him to Psychotronics. Hmmmm....be interesting to see what I can find there...

I assume to keep people from panicking or to keep the truth(oh gently caress they are loose) underwraps.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Wafflecopper posted:

Fuckin stationary turrets and their stubborn refusal to move, I deplore them too

gently caress the turrets! :arghfist: That's what I get for phone posting. The worst part is those turrets ARE movable, which is great if you're trying to ambush a bunch of Phantoms. It's how I cleared out the two in the IT room.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, looks like the standard turrets are murder against mimics, too. Not looking forward to dealing with being in the receiving end of that firepower...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Really liked the demo. Looking forward to the full game now!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after playing the rest of the demo I'm a bit less enthused due to how loving obnoxious mimics are. they move around like they are glitching and aiming at those fuckers is a pain in the rear end. The blaring music that plays when they're around was novel at first but by the end, I was getting fed up with it. I wish you could at least detect some of them because towards the end a lot of rooms amounted to "oh 5 of these guys show up have fun hammering the gloo gun"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MinibarMatchman posted:

after playing the rest of the demo I'm a bit less enthused due to how loving obnoxious mimics are. they move around like they are glitching and aiming at those fuckers is a pain in the rear end. The blaring music that plays when they're around was novel at first but by the end, I was getting fed up with it. I wish you could at least detect some of them because towards the end a lot of rooms amounted to "oh 5 of these guys show up have fun hammering the gloo gun"

I turned the music almost all the way down.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
demo was good

got startled twice, once at the first mimic because it was very sudden and once near the end when i went to pick up a gun, it said i couldn't (and hovered like that for a few seconds), and then tranformed and attacked me

GoOd poo poo

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The inability to invert the camera's X axis hosed me, I couldn't fight worth a drat. So I wound up carrying a turret everywhere and plopping it down at the door to any room before running in, getting jumped by mimics, and running back out screaming like a little girl while the turret shot them for me. Thankfully I'm of the PC master race, so my utter inability to aim with a controller won't be an issue once I can use the mouse like baby Jesus intended.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just played through the XB1 demo, and I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing issues with combat. I was playing on Normal and dying a lot. I couldn't hit poo poo. I really hope this works well with the Steam controller because that would be the best of both worlds for this one I think.

The soundtrack gets nuts and lets my sub shake the entire house, so that's cool...too bad the shotgun sounds just awful. If only every shotgun sounded like the Mad Max game shotgun :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember the shotgun in RE4/5 being very good.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

so there is this toilet room you can jump in after you get the neuromod, you are supposed to use a neuromod to get in, but you can do it without. dont, cause you cant get out

I got stuck here too but eventually got out by crouching and then jumping.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh, neogaf is a inbred swill of idiots and lickspittles. i am not surprised they havent played older stuff. they are two busy pretending to write junior year critical english papers about various games and bitching about graphics to play anything old.

this. bioshock 1 is on of my all time favorite games and i don't mind that as much as you probably (i started with bioshock 1 on the 360 then moved on to SS2 which i also liked) but your right about the tention it goes away after medical. once you get all the various wrench tonics and realize that big daddies are berly a threat. but yeah, BUT prey keeps its tension really really well so far. i am amused at the gaffers bitching about the controls(apart from the lag) its loving dishonored 2 controls. pretty much. then again they hate that game for reasons, i thought it was ok. gameplay better then 1 but world not as good. basicaly the game is system shock mixed with dishonored. which is good.

Bioshock is so great because each and every inch of Rapture had love and care put into it and it is filled to the brim with little things and details that make it special. It's not just empty spaces and repeating patterns on large monolithic objects, it's almost overdesigned, but it works.

1960s space station is an idea on the level of 1950s underwater Randian paradise, so I have high hopes for this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Haruhater posted:

So just a heads up: if you check out the thread on NeoGAF about this demo you will learn quite a number of things:
-You will understand why every single FPS game these days plays the same
-You will understand the audience for modern FPS games
-You will understand why Bioshock was so dumbed down after System Shock 2
-You will understand why Bioshock Infinite became what it was
-You will understand just how big of a percentage of modern gamers even comprehend what a horror game is supposed to play like
-And finally you will understand the audience reception that this game is going up against.

To be fair NeoGaf is heavily HEAVILY moderated and you can easily get IP banned if you disagree with a mod about anything at all so I don't think that people who are primarily posting there are the "average gamers".

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades posted:

To be fair NeoGaf is heavily HEAVILY moderated and you can easily get IP banned if you disagree with a mod about anything at all so I don't think that people who are primarily posting there are the "average gamers".

neogaf also thought avengers age of ultron was going to outperform Jurassic World and The Force Awakens by a huge margin, that Donald trump had a 0% chance of becoming president, and kept saying that Doom 2016 was going to be a bad game so they really have no idea wtf there talking about.

Its not even worth going there anymore as its a heavily modded id politics shithole now. You get banned for the dumbest loving things there.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Mr President posted:

and kept saying that Doom 2016 Retard 4 was going to be a bad game so they really have no idea wtf there talking about.

So just like SA then? :v:

Amebx fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 30, 2017

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mr President posted:

neogaf also thought avengers age of ultron was going to outperform Jurassic World and The Force Awakens by a huge margin, that Donald trump had a 0% chance of becoming president, and kept saying that Doom 2016 was going to be a bad game so they really have no idea wtf there talking about.

Its not even worth going there anymore as its a heavily modded id politics shithole now. You get banned for the dumbest loving things there.
Everyone though Doom was going to be a bad game until the loving Video Card Game Maker made a trailer for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing that that persists through both Dishonored games and this that always kinda miffs me if how they lock move speed and jump buffs behind runes/neuromods. Since I was like 7 years old, I beeline for every movespeed buff because if i know i can be going FASTER my brain is wired so that I am just having LESS FUN until I have those maxed out. Seeing the movespeed and jump being universally panned on forums makes me feel like maybe you should just either

A) not make them fiddily and just give you both of those things maxed out when you get your first mod, to kind of simply illustrate the change your body goes through immediately upon being modded/enchanted... I think this is lazy but prefferable to current system

or B) make it a Threshold mechanic, where no matter what you invest in, you automatically get health boosts, move speed and jump buffs for every 5/10/15 neuromods you install, to illustrate a sense of progression over the course of the game.

the only thing the current system caters too is people like me who know their own playstyle and would rather bum rush it. My argument is that going faster and jumping higher are probably just as valuable to every playstyle and also keep me from going towards the cooler, munique aspects of the combat system until after my OCD is appeased.

GOTTA GO FAST, basically

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Bioshock is so great because each and every inch of Rapture had love and care put into it and it is filled to the brim with little things and details that make it special. It's not just empty spaces and repeating patterns on large monolithic objects, it's almost overdesigned, but it works.

1960s space station is an idea on the level of 1950s underwater Randian paradise, so I have high hopes for this.

well rapture feels lived in and loved, which was one of my issues with infinte(besides trying to make it COD) in infinte, everything feels like a setpiece/soundstage, nothing feels really natural, its too scripted. 1 is scripted to hell and back too, but it hides it well and most of the encounters feel natural apart from the last 2 levels. Prey gives me that that lived in rapture feeling again so i cant wait.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr President posted:

i liked tfa but thats my only disagreement with your opinion. yeah neogaf is an elitist shithole that fell down the IDpol zealot hole and also has loving dumb terrible opinions with mods who abuse the gently caress out of there power.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing I am very curious about is enemy models.

Every humanoid you encounter will just be a male/female head on a jumpsuit or labcoat, but is every alien gonna be just squiggly black lines? I'm hoping for some cool boss fights and set piece battles but enemy variety could be a stumbling block.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they haven't shown anything aside from the basic mimics, phantoms, and drones. There's also the Nightmare but I don't think theres been any gameplay footage of that, hopefully there will be other enemies later on

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm sure at some point your brother injects himself with about 100 neuromods and turns into the Joker like in that one bit from Arkham Asylum.

At any rate, they've been experimenting with the Typhon things, right? Can't imagine they'll just stay as little dudes and fake dudes. Also, if you manage to get close enough to a Phantom, it turns out they're still talking. :eek:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The "I'm just gonna give myself 1,000x the maximum dose of something to become God" trope is SO loving BORING every single time and I really hope that by 2017 Arkane figured out that you don't need a story to hit the same 10 beats that FPS have been hitting since '96...

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure that dude has no brother and you're an alien clone of him

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing I am very curious about is enemy models.

Every humanoid you encounter will just be a male/female head on a jumpsuit or labcoat, but is every alien gonna be just squiggly black lines? I'm hoping for some cool boss fights and set piece battles but enemy variety could be a stumbling block.

i was kinda ehh with the typhon designs at first. but i have grown on them. they look cool in motion at least.

Bogart posted:

At any rate, they've been experimenting with the Typhon things, right? Can't imagine they'll just stay as little dudes and fake dudes. Also, if you manage to get close enough to a Phantom, it turns out they're still talking. :eek:

yeah they talked about that in one of the devblogs, the phantoms are combination of the drained bodies and typhon dna injected by another typhon. much like the taken from alan wake, they kinda just mutter and say random stuff because the brain is misfiring or some poo poo. its creepy. and yeah Transtar seems like they are pulling alot for Waylan-yutani company plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Grognan posted:

pretty sure that dude has no brother and you're an alien clone of him

My money's on this too. Like the ending rolls and 'Morgan' takes off that big d20 space helmet and holy gently caress you've been a typhon the whole time, injected with human memories. WHAT A TWIST. Sadly the ending on pretty much all the Shock games are rubbish, so I'm willing to deal with a disappointment on that front as long as the game up to that point is good.