Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This game seems alright. I'm not sure about the slow movement and combat but it's not like SS2 had amazing combat either. Another entry in what's turning out to be a very strong year for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Only a few hours in but I really like that the reason you keep waking up on the "same day" gets explained like, 20 minutes into the story instead of being some kind of massive twist. Reminds me of SOMA in that regard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would say that I like it better, in that the whole your mind was saved til way in the future was treated as a big twist until 3/4ths of the way through, even though it was fairly obvious. Here they did away with that and left room for actual intrigue.

for SOMA, i kinda meant more of the you're actually some kind of hosed up robot corpse thing, but yeah

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I know people seem to like the interface but the option and inventory menus on a controller are very bad imo. Or maybe I am extremely stupid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DancingShade posted:

Feels perfect on a mouse. Might have just been designed that way.

Something about how the shoulder and trigger buttons are bound to tabs feels wrong to me. It's weird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
so wait, you can kill the guy on the radio giving you objectives and try to finish the game that way?

that's fantastic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At some point in the game killing everything you see becomes less and less of a realistic option, which is actually kind of refreshing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love that what Arkane decided that System Shock 2 needed was someone to come in at the 3/4 mark of the story and start acting like the bad guy from Die Hard until you kill him or otherwise deal with him. i actually love this, dahl loving owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SoggyGravy posted:

I haven't tried using the typhon mod which breaks control but freeing all the living bro's from telepaths and then just leaving their unconcious bodies as I go about doing my thing just seems...odd? I imagine they just drop unconcious too if you break their mind control using the psymod?

in a loading screen, the game says that if you break the control they eventually make their way to the cargo bay with the other survivors

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rinkles posted:

Prey has moments of that rare feeling in games were you act according to how you yourself would, rather than by the contrived laws and expectations of a game world.

I absolutely loved (very late game spoilers) when the giant Typhon thing attacked the station, i dragged Alex's unconscious body back to his bunker, and then found out that this was actually how you were supposed to save him, fantastic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rookersh posted:

So whats the cutoff for Typhon mods before you get shot by turrets? I basically only want Mindjack so I can save people ( which means I have to take the initial power to unlock it ), then the Blink.

Three in total, only one past t1.

Pretty sure it's one. In practice it doesn't matter that much because by the halfway point in the game all the turrets seem to have already been smashed by enemies anyway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
have they mentioned when stuff like the objective indicator toggles will be patched in yet, i know they delayed the non-ini-edity FOV slider until they fixed some in-game cutscene issues

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
so, the game does shower you with a ton of nanomods, but any skill evaluations yet? I still think the best way to start the game on hard+ is to rush both medikit upgrades, which takes your survivability from jack poo poo to OK. Wrench 1 and the first conditioning mod are good for that too so you aren't constantly tiring yourself out against mimics.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Anti-Hero posted:

Sweet, I'll leave it alone then. I always hate using preorder weapons.

I just started, obviously. Playing on Hard. I tried to do a couple of the optional objectives, like go to the trauma center, and got absolutely SMOKED. I guess I should focus on the main narrative for a bit, eh?

I'm sitting on a pile of neuromods as well, only put 1 point in Leverage. Any "must-haves" I should be leveling? Hacking?

The ones that make medikits more effective are very important for early survivability. I think they heal like 30 points by default which is nothing on hard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This game is great but it has actively terrible sound mixing. The noise propagation is all sorts of hosed up, conversations are going on in another room and they seem to get muffled/unmuffled or louder/softer completely arbitrarily.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mymla posted:

How long does it take for an unconscious human to wake up?

I'm pretty sure they disappear (go to the cargo bay with the other survivors) when you exit the map.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
An upgraded pistol with the security neuromods takes down those big things surprisingly quickly, though you'll blow through a lot of pistol ammo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought the voice acting was very good in general. Male-January has this great dispassionate affect going on that's very much robotic but still different than the usual "beep boop i'm a robot" thing in games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are there any other hidden weapons like the gold pistol?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fun intro thing

if you place an item outside the elevator and ride it up, it'll still be there, but the same isn't true of the helicopter ride. A note in the sim lab states that someone's supposed to make sure the chopper pad is clean of objects while the ride is going on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I for the life of me can't find that guy in GUTS. Very frustrating

Once you re-activate his bracelet, go to a security station and mark him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I DID. I just can't seem to get to where he is

Follow the signs for the cargo tunnel, there seem to be two separate tunnels in the GUTS, one's a big conduit for water/electrics/etc, and the other is a larger one for cargo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Skippy McPants posted:

Not just hotboss, but OMGhotboss.

i think it's something like 0mgHotBoss! because Prey is the first game ever where all the passwords are actually secure passwords people would use

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah but that was when Bethesda Game Studios were actually good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Robiben posted:

Had a very cool moment happen which I'm going to put in spoilers because I assume its a very late game or ending spoiler. I have not finished the game.

You can actually fly out to the Transtar billboards that orbit the station. Pretty sure that's well known, and there is a corpse out there you can loot. However while really hunting around I found a panel on the back of the billboard that lets you change what it displays. Turns out the corpse out there was trying to warn the people inside the station before he died, the message reads "THE ESCAPE PODS ARE FAKE". Really cool moment and makes me really wonder about the side mission to find an escape pod.

oh man, there's an audio log where someone's actually planning to put exposing info on one of the billboards but I didn't know they actually did it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CJacobs posted:

Nope, it happened long before the game's events even started. Long before the framing device that makes up the ending, even.

ya, which seems to retroactively justify January's insistence on destroying the station and everyone on it

Did anyone see the quest about the shuttle landing in Seattle, btw? Not much to it, but it was a fun sudden decision to make.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's just a medbay, if you were wondering what was in there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wish it was done better. I wanted more body horror

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the bioware thing is more that in DA2 literally every romance option was apparently bi which seemed like a hell of a coincidence

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mymla posted:

Do I really want to do the sidequest where you put a thing on a satellite to make the nightmares stop chasing me? They're not super dangerous and they give a bunch of exotic material.

nah, and you only get to dismiss it three times

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by all humans saved, do you mean all plot characters, or like, stun-gunning everyone affected by telepaths, etc

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really like the contrast in leveling up between this is Dishonored 2. Like, a few levels in, you're ridiculously powerful in Dishonored 2, which is part of the fun, but also not particularly challenging. Upgrades in Prey are more like a red queen's race, where it's all you can do to keep up with the big enemy populations the game throws at you in the later half of the game. You're always on your toes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by the way, anyone looking for metal, please recycle turrets and operator corpses. they're by far the best source of it i've found, i put together a little pile of like four turrets and a couple of operators and came out with like 10 blocks of metal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Golashes posted:

So how far in is the end of the Restore From Backup mission? I've explored the poo poo out of this game but I feel like main quest wise I haven't done a whole lot

That is like halfway through the main questline.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i've never forgiven Arthur Gies for saying the courier in Fallout New Vegas had amnesia

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone on the PC suddenly having audio issues? It seems that ambient music and random sound effects aren't playing like they used to. Like the hacking music and sounds are noticeably different from two days ago.

They changed the sound mixing because people were complaining about stuff like the "objective completed" music being much louder than the dialogue.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At least you don't have to hold it there for five minutes, like the documentation in-game says you do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We'll put that question up there with "Why is memory loss when you remove a mod an issue, why would you ever want to stop having one".

Do you wake up one day and think "Y'know, gently caress the piano. I'm going to undergo a dangerous procedure so that I don't know how to play anymore"

I liked the email in the sales department that was like, "yeah, we need to tell everyone they're permanent, because everyone will get freaked out about the amnesia side-effect of taking them out"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IDK if people had different experience, but when I took out Dahl and Kaspar, the military operators stopped except for the ones outside the station. Though to be fair I was kind of running away from everything at this point in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean, the hack skill has to be useful for something