Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Played the demo. Apparently you'll be able to revisit old areas any time you like, and I found a security terminal that can ping the corpse of anyone in the station on your radar, which is pretty novel. Lots of good rooftop hiding places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I found a crossbow that shoots plastic nerf darts.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ha, I'm already discovering secrets.

In the starting area, there's a Debriefing Room with a horrible looking chair, a locked safe and a whiteboard with the safe combination on it, but erased. Later you get that hologram message from yourself, and I realized it was in the debriefing room. I looked to the left and there was the combination! Time to backtrack.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I'm guessing the equivalent of a no-magic run will be a no-Typhon-powers run this time around. Upside: turrets don't shoot you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I love how every corpse has a unique name and that you can use a security console to ping them. I did it at least once to find a specific person who they said in the demo files had an item I wanted...turns out they were a phantom now!

Another thing I noticed in the emails and files I hope will be cleared up in the game...The general email sent out says that Dr Bellamy was sent to the trauma center, but was in stable condition. I distinctly recall him being turned into a petrified corpse like the other mimic victims. When I managed to get into Trauma, I found an email saying "whatever you do, don't send Bellamy to Trauma, send him to Psychotronics. Hmmmm....be interesting to see what I can find there...

Here's another fun thing you can do in and around Morgan's starting apartment. Grab an object, like a lamp, and put it in the hallway when you go through an elevator or on the helipad. It'll still be there after the supposed scene transition. Lovely attention to detail.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 30, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, looks like the standard turrets are murder against mimics, too. Not looking forward to dealing with being in the receiving end of that firepower...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I don't have a computer that can run Prey, but I do have a PS4. How good does DXHR and Dishonored 2 run and control on it?

Pretty good, and I played the demo for Prey on PS4 and it was really good to me, too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, now that'd be an interesting project for the game, modding in a new soundtrack.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

Arkane's co-founder and Dishonored 1/2 director, Harvey Smith, was one of the main designers of the original Deus Ex

This explains a lot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I need to start this game over and see what happens if I choose different powers first. Reviving corpses as phantoms to fight on your side could be pretty neat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how you can just go outside for a space walk, as an alternate way of travel once multiple airlocks are released. You couldn't do that in System Shock!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oohh, fun thing I discovered. The Q-Beam makes stuff blow up once you pump enough green energy stuff into it, right? Well, the exploded life form will in turn infect other nearby typhon with more green energy. So you can use it to take out clusters of weak enemies too. I lured a bunch of mimics together and Q-Beamed one and they all blew up. Didn't need to use much ammo, either.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Prey 1 was pretty generic even for the time. I have no idea what is it people remember fondly from it.

It had portals before Portal and a pretty harrowing intro chapter when you and everything in town are abducted and chopped into hamburger. That's about it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

I did have a laugh at one bit though reading a log in which an engineer tech plugged a mimic pretending to be a resistor rack into a high energy device and it loving melted

Apparently mimics were showing up way before things went to poo poo and barely anyone noticed. Just a couple notes to the effect of 'stop duping dumb poo poo' and 'huh weird two teddies'

Heh, yeah. Another person testing out the recycler charges thought it was weird that it was collecting exotic material from supposedly-metal objects. This station was mimic'ed to HELL before anyone noticed.

I also like all the log entries in Psychotronics where they keep trying to figure out how the hell mimickry works. "Illusions? Molecular reconstruction? Dimensional shift?" One guy says "At this point, I give up. Magic."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

While the Operators make sense for space operations, since they float and take up a very small amount of space, I wonder if they have other types of robots on earth.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

On the other hand this is my favorite background plot in the game, because the end result is that the engineer tells the woman to meet him in the only functional pod in the event of a disaster, and she does. You can either fix the hatch and free them, or fire the pod without fixing it and kill them. If you kill them, you can find their corpses and it turns out he brought wine and she brought a goddamn stun gun. That got a good laugh out of me.

That's amazing, these devs think of everything.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RatHat posted:

Yeah even at level 1 Combat Focus is ridiculously good.

EDIT: So there was a weapon cut from the game(a disc rifle) that had an AI in it and actually talked to you. It eventually starts questioning it's own existence and realizes it hates violence, so it starts asking to be recycled. You can either do that or turn it into a Medical Operator(which gets you a one-time boost). Here's the full dialog along with the model. Only very minor spoilers.

...wasn't that a Borderlands 2 quest?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's pretty neat (and lethal) how Voltaic Phantoms electrify metal floors around them and disrupt nearby machinery, even recyclers and stuff. They also short out your Laboratory weapons, like the GLOO gun and the Q-Beam! They don't stop your security guns from firing, but I think they do make the electronic ammo-counters stop working. I need to see how viable it is to turn every corpse I can into a phantom under my control. I wonder if they'd last longer than turrets.

I noticed that turrets tend to break off-screen when you're away from their section for a while, unless you Fortify them. They're individually too flimsy to take on an advanced phantom one-on-one but if you have a couple of them in a choke point they can still make 'em pay.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

mellowjournalism posted:

The ps4 demo got me hankerin' after a few days so I took that as a good sign and bought it for PC*...and subsequently played it for maybe 8 hours straight yesterday. Whole lotta fun, makes me feel like I'm playing Half-life for the first time again. Or something like that.

Hanging out on Talos rules. Anybody try this with vorpx?

*(I use a dualshock4 and weirdly, it controls way better on PC. ds4windows is just emulating an xbone controller though so I dunno where they screwed things up on the ps4 release)

Yeah, Talos looks so swank, I bet before everything went to hell it was a pretty nice place to work. I wonder if all TranStar facilities look that nice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Surprisingly, the Nightmare is more mobile than you'd think. If you go in a cramped area, it can just get down on all fours and sneak through. Which I appreciate, must have been, no pun intended, a nightmare to code.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love the ball of Organic Material in the Recycler Lab with a note that says "stood a little too close to a Recycler Charge during testing, what you see here is what's left of my left foot".

I hope she got a good replacement foot! How do you think prosthetics are in this setting?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

As it turns out, we were the Prey all along!

The real Prey was all the friends we made along the way! Or was it the neuromods we made along the way...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rinkles posted:

A lot of the people you meet are surprised Morgan is on the station (she was supposed to be on earth involved in marketing, iirc, which doesn't sound like Morgan). What was that about? Misdirection to keep you guessing about the final twist? Hints that Alex made the simulation more clandestine, cutting Morgan off most of the station? Or something less exciting?

Mostly it's because you were in the memory hamster wheel for months on end with nobody briefed on it. For a while it seems Morgan would undergo some tests and then try to integrate back with the rest of the crew on the station pretending nothing was wrong, even if they didn't have any memories. Then it seems Alex started putting Morgan through continuous tests for weeks or maybe months.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We never hear of Alex using any neuromods. He was in love with the technology, but I wonder if he either had no need to use it himself or was on some self imposed control group thing vs Morgan.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Game really should have had a cost associated with hacking (imho). When I see a hackable door there's usually an impulse pulling me away from opening it, because I want to find a more clever solution. I want to deserve the contents of what's on the other side. With repair I have an excuse, because I'm expending resources each time and simply can't afford to repair everything.

Another thing repair does better: it requires a time commitment, and has no inane minigame that takes you out of the world. This small change makes the skill infinitely more dynamic and interactive with the game's other systems. I had a number of tense situations repairing power conduits whilst being stalked or already in combat. These were quick, stressful choices that defined how the encounter went. There probably weren't enough instances of this in the game -- because of larger problems with Prey's combat -- but they illustrate how even that seemingly minor point of interaction can foster good, interesting gameplay.

Anybody here ever play the original Thief games? Lockpicks required a time commitment, plus you'd have to alternate between picks as you went just to keep it from being a "hold down button to proceed" thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Personally I wish more protagonists just said "Nah" and shot the final boss instead of having a 'we're both the same!!' speech and a long drawn out duel.

The most heroic "nah" ever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't think it's been said yet, but I love how the exterior of the station matches the interior. Maybe they cheated and made it a tiny bit smaller on the outside, not sure, but it looks close to the same proportions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a way to fix the air in the Shuttle Bay the first time you visit it? That system alert noise gets on my nerves.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

He should use some special parts to make his robot friends.

Hey, he does have an Operator plugged into his computer right there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, they really upped the enemy variety for Moonstruck, too. Old enemies have new tricks, like poltergeists grabbing your gun from your hand. There's gloo grenades and gloo turrets (and laser turrets!).

If I kill the Moonshark as one character it makes it easier for the others, right? Because I'm thinking of taking him out with Turret Lady.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It is interesting that the metaprogression lets you summon up something to carry your extra stuff, but what I want to know is, does the mule's inventory stay the same between player characters, I.e. can I stuff all my guns in the mule before I hop in an escape pod and let the next guy get one?

I got enough Typhon upgrades that the Volunteer started counting as a Typhon and I thought I was boned because of those forcefields that kick in to prevent typhon from going through, but then I unlocked his Burrow ability. And it turns out that Burrow also lets you get through those broken doors with metal bars on them. Niiiice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

You can also taze the forcefields.

I know you can use an EMP on the detector but last time I tried to use a Disruptor Gun on one it had no effect.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

You have to target the antenna / console

Got it to work, thanks. Yeah, that makes those forcefields much easier to deal with. Nice idea in theory, Riley Yu, but the typhon don't seem to give a crap about them so why should I?

The further I get the more dangerous the simulation gets. I've figured out how to restore power to unpowered areas (failing that I could upgrade Vijay to be able to force open unpowered doors with his fists), is there a way to clean out biohazards like radiation, fire or oxygen loss?

I appreciate that Mooncrash gives you even more of a reason to use the Corpse-Finding Security thingy than the base game, since various corpses could have keycards and the locked doors tell you who last had the keycard.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Fire and electricity you can gloo and radiation cans you have to lob recycle charges at. Not really worth the time and resources to do either tbh. Go around or sprint through.

ah, local solutions, I was hoping there was a big mainframe with a "make fire go out" written on a big switch.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus. The story missions in Mooncrash were an unexpected level of emotional intensity. And the engineer was burying her wrench in a guy's fave before she even knew for sure what had happened. Yowza.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I love how the animation for when she places her hand down for leverage is that weird little two-finger touch thing you do when you really want to avoid touching something gross any more than you have to :allears:

Yeah, all the memory fragments have pretty great openings. Vijay's is "whuh...how much did I drink last night?" And Claire's is godddamn ruthless. I knew from Vijay's mission she was killing a lot of dudes in that room but the way she's casually checking her email when impaling a guy through the throat with her psyblade...yeesh.

I still have yet to actually unlock Riley Yu's mission because her basic escape has so many objectives already, plus she's cursed for me, she keeps dying. Maybe I need to sneak more as her, put those subversive powers to better use.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

I feel like I'm back at my old job because I'm making sure this space station is tidy and neat.

Wait till you get recycler charges. They're grenades that turn clutter into little piles of resources in cube form!

I was kind of mad that the Prey DLC for Fallout 4 was just Morgan's suit and not recycler charges, because in a game where everything can be reduced to its base components, a recycler charge is a no-brainer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, huh, the main weapon laboratory in Pytheas Labs is password-locked, but what’s more, the password is different each iteration of the simulation. It’s written down on a note somewhere but the note changes locations too. Tricky, guys.

I like how certain characters just automatically have the key or password to stuff they ought to. Like the Security chief of course knows the code to print out security operators.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, the top-tier weapons in Mooncrash are elemental. Shotgun that also does fire damage and has little fire modules on the side. Even an elemental Huntress Boltcaster. For when you want to short out enemy operators, I guess.

Smith Comma John posted:

I picked up the full leverage tree in my first run through the main game before I realized that there are enough recycler grenades lying around to get you through all the obstacles five times over. It seems pointless unless you really like braining everyone with reployers

Well, first of all throwing reployers or other heavy things do a TON of damage, second of all there's no limit to them unlike recycler charges, which are always in short supply (for me), and third of all you can also stack objects for climbing purposes (not strictly necessary if you can use Gloo, but whatever, I'm glad to have the option).

Prey is a perfect 0451 game in that there are always at least two or three ways to deal with any problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mooncrash's point system made me realize there's no currency at all in the base game. No vendors, nothing. Huh.